Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 15:53   #16
BANNED

A few ml of Teepol will work equally well. Most fluids are just that with some dilutant, colour, and perfume.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2010, 16:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

I am not getting why we need washer fluid (soap).

If you need to clean a (non-automotive) glass, will you pour soapy water and wipe it, or would you use plain water? Even if you use soapy water, you would wash it up with clean water, right?

I don't think there's any point in using soapy water if you cannot wash it off with plain water. I think the best way is to use plain water in the washer reservoir of the car. You could use soap when you wash the windshield manually at home, because you would have plenty of water to wash off the soap in the end.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 27th May 2010 at 16:36.
Old 27th May 2010, 16:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I am not getting why we need washer fluid (soap).

If you need to clean a (non-automotive) glass, will you pour soapy water and wipe it, or would you use plain water? Even if you use soapy water, you would wash it up with clean water, right?

I don't think there's any point in using soapy water if you cannot wash it off with plain water. I think the best way is to use plain water in the washer reservoir of the car. You could use soap when you wash the windshield manually at home, because you would have plenty of water to wash off the soap in the end.
No. I do not use plain water to wash or clean any kind of glass; may it be automoive or non-automotive. I use Colin, which I believe is a kind of soap or additive which helps easily remove tough stains or deposits especially like bird droppings which takes more time an effort if done with only water.

Hence, I suppose we all need a windshield washer fluid for our beloved cars which can help 'easily' remove dirt and grime while driving which is more common in the rains.
Old 27th May 2010, 17:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

I use a mild shampoo which cleans my windshield very well. Cost effective to a large extent.

If you want something better (which of course would cost more), try RainX or products from Wurth (Germany) in addition to Sonax, etc. suggested by the others in previous posts.

If your windshield is damaged by scratches or disperses light causing visibility issues at night, then its a different matter altogether.
Old 6th August 2010, 10:49   #20
BHPian

Maruti Windshield Washer Fluid

I use the windshield washer fluid that Maruti A.S.S sell and put in your car during their service. I think a sachet costs Rs.15 and 1 sachet is needed for i full windshield fluid bottle.

Is quite good and reasonably priced
Old 6th August 2010, 11:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am using Pril degrease and the results are awesome. It quickly gets rid of the dirt and oil based particles from the windshield.
Old 6th August 2010, 12:05   #22
BHPian

I didnt know so much of additives are required [or rather available] for windsheild water.

Always used tap water from anywhere [on long runs] wherever the can empties!
Dont think plain water will be of any harm as the main purpose of washing screen while driving is solved.

Ofcourse, for all stains & bird droppings I wash it when the car is stationary.
Btw, never heard anyone having droppings on the screen while driving.
WDM007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2010, 12:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

A leaf from "DADI KE NUSKHEY":

Add one capfull of white vinegar to you the windshield water tank. It actually helps & removes most stubborn of the grime.
I have tried it without any side effects.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2010, 12:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

A few drops of Green Pril in the windshield water tank, does the job for me. No issues whatsoever.
Old 6th August 2010, 13:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Blue Blue Windsheild Washer Tablets

Hey guys,

Came across this advertisement in an auto magazine of a windheild washer product called Blue Blue. It comes in a form of a tablet and one tablet is enough for a full windsheild washer tank.

I contacted them and apparently they sell a pack of 200 tablets for around 4k to dealers an accessory shops. I obviously wanted it for my personal use and they offered to give me 50 tablets @ Rs. 20 per tablet. I asked them for 10 tablets but they were not willing to sell less than 50 tablets to me. They said that they have tied up with certain accessory shops in North Mumbai and I can buy them individually there but these shops were too far away from my house.

Apparently, Vitesse at Andheri West will also be using them soon for all their cars that come in for a service. will probably check with them soon.

Has anyone come across these tablets? If yes, do let us know the reviews.
Old 6th August 2010, 13:33   #26
BHPian

Just one silly question from my side -->

These soaps, shampoos, detergents generally have corrosive properties.
So isnt it possible that there presence will have some corrosive action on the car parts ?
Old 6th August 2010, 14:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

@WDM007: +1. They are corrosive to rubber parts & paint.
Once we were standing next to a friend's egg-yolk yellow colored old gen Zen. The paint on roof had dull spots & the reason we found out was continous use of shampoo in the washer. The shampoo would get dispersed to the roof with jet & the soap bubbles would form over there causing roof paint to have spottings over the period of time.
Old 6th August 2010, 15:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
Just one silly question from my side -->

These soaps, shampoos, detergents generally have corrosive properties.
So isnt it possible that there presence will have some corrosive action on the car parts ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
@WDM007: +1. They are corrosive to rubber parts & paint.
Once we were standing next to a friend's egg-yolk yellow colored old gen Zen. The paint on roof had dull spots & the reason we found out was continous use of shampoo in the washer. The shampoo would get dispersed to the roof with jet & the soap bubbles would form over there causing roof paint to have spottings over the period of time.
But I also believe that latst products by leading companies which are available in the market have non-corrosive features.
Old 6th August 2010, 16:04   #29
BHPian

Apart from the corrosion and paint damage due to soaps, one of the bigger negatives of using soap in windshield washer, is the residue that remains after the sweep. Once dry, this soapy combination actually streaks the surface.
This especially on a hot day leaves a very untidy windshield.
Old 6th August 2010, 16:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

I'm using a very mild shampoo for my windshield since almost a decade with no ill effects visible till date.

However if anyone is using Pril or dishwashing detergent, ensure it is diluted as much as possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks