Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2015, 21:41   #91
BHPian

Re: Car Fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
My 12AD conked out tyoday. Overnight i.....
I'm just back from trip to Badrinath. I used 300W axiom car inverter with 4mm wiring from cigarette ligthter outlet at dash to back of innova. Then attached a Belkin 6 socket power strip to inverter. Belkin, because it grips well all the plugs. To this power strip i plugged 12V (AC to DC) tropicool adapter which powered the fridge. Power strip also connected to every cell phone adapter, one ipad and one laptop. This worked fine especially on the return journey straight from Badrinath to Delhi in 18 hours.
Old 1st June 2015, 10:29   #92
BANNED

I have ordered a 14l Waeco 14FL from Amazon.in for ₹14,100 and expect delivery this week. Seems that they are a major source of travel/leisure accessories, and these are OE for Ford, GM and Mahindra. i expect delivery this week. I will keep updating. Since I am currently in the NCR but the supplier is a consortium so I do not know from where it has been dispatched. This has a 2-stage Peltier cooler.

Last edited by sgiitk : 1st June 2015 at 10:31.
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:29   #93
BANNED

I am expecting delivery of my Waeco 14L two stage Peltier cooled unit today. Will report back when it arrives.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:33   #94
BHPian

Query for users: How much heat does the unit generate and where does it dissipate? In the car or any mechanism to take the heat outside the car? In case of inside, what is the effect on the car interiors - is it enough to warp/ discolour/ affect the plastics in any manner?
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:09   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Query for users: How much heat does the unit generate and where does it dissipate? In the car or any mechanism to take the heat outside the car? In case of inside, what is the effect on the car interiors - is it enough to warp/ discolour/ affect the plastics in any manner?
Peltier units are pretty inefficient. However, in my 35 or so years experience I have never seen it as a problem, and noticed any discolouration. Let us see 5A at 12V is 60W, peanuts in the context of a car.

Incidentally, it seems that Fedex got it to the wrong facility, in Gurgaon so it may be delayed by a day or two.
Old 5th June 2015, 14:32   #96
BANNED

My Waeco 14L arrived yesterday. The build quality is good. However, it is Chinese (expected) and carries a Waeco Tropicool tag. However, on closer examination there are quite a few differences from the Tropicool 12A - connectors are different, interior lining is plastic (Al in the 12A and was plastic in my old Carry King), casing colours are different though similar, there is a proper spec sheet (in about a dozen languages). SO looks good, not let me try this one out and report.
Old 21st June 2015, 09:38   #97
BANNED

I have been thinking about the Tropicool 12. I am coming round to the view that it could have been the Peltier module slowly packing up and drawing too much juice. This will explain all the failures, since that was not on the radar.
Old 19th August 2015, 18:53   #98
VKM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
Tropicool 18 Lt fridge, model 18AD, available at special discount price of Rs.8500/- at Reliance Autozone, Ambiance Mall Gurgaon.

I bought one piece today for my new innova. Also bought tropicool AC/DC adapter for 1299/-
Hi
can you please give an update on the product, planning to get one.
Old 19th August 2015, 22:45   #99
BANNED

I suspect the 18AD probably uses three Peltier modules, as against two in the 12A. This makes sense both because of the volume as well as the nomenclature.
Old 19th August 2015, 23:52   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
My Waeco 14L arrived yesterday.
I was looking at picking up the Waeco bordbar tb-15 for just under 10K from Amazon/Snapdeal. I was looking at the Godrej Chotukool but the bloomin' thing is huge. I put that into the trunk and there is no more space left for much else.

Any reviews/opinions on that? How about servicing for Waeco products? I spoke to Tropicool and they mentioned they 'didn't have Waeco in stock anymore' and suggested I go with the 12AD. I like the Waeco because of the size and the shape. It should fit into many places in the cabin itself.

Last edited by thewhiteknight : 19th August 2015 at 23:53.
Old 20th August 2015, 07:25   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
Any reviews/opinions on that? How about servicing for Waeco products? I spoke to Tropicool and they mentioned they 'didn't have Waeco in stock anymore' and suggested I go with the 12AD. I like the Waeco because of the size and the shape. It should fit into many places in the cabin itself.
Tropicool are busy selling their own products. Waeco, I bought off Amazon. As for service I had no issues with my old Cool(or was it Carry)king for almost 30 years, so unless you are unlucky there should be no issues. Also, by the looks of it Waeco have an official importer, and there should be service available.
Old 20th August 2015, 07:53   #102
BHPian

We can make the cheapest Car Fridge like this:

Take a reasonable size of Thermocol Box that would fit in your boot. Fill it with either Ice Packs or Just Ice. It can keep your Water Bottles or any other thing at chilled condition at least for 24 hours.

If you have a long journey, you can always change the ice in between. Easy and Cheap.
Old 27th January 2016, 10:25   #103
BHPian

Help wanted: C Class

I want to install a Waeco 14 L thermoelectric cooler in the boot of my Mercedes C Class 2008. I figured that an easy fix would be to run a cable from the 12V cigarette lighter in the rear to the boot, from the sides of the rear seat. Problem is that the rear seats are not foldable ( though the manual says they are!).
Would appreciate help on how to remove the rear back rest so that i can access the boot.
Old 27th January 2016, 13:47   #104
BANNED

@earthian; If possible ty and find space to run a two core wire from the boot to the interior. I m sure there is some duct carrying the wiring (tail light, etc) and there is bound to be enough room to squeeze in a two core automotive wire (10A). We did that for the reversing sensors of my Brio! Then fix / solder the connector. Make sure you have a decently (10-15A) rated plug for it. There are many 3-7A rated units on eBay / Amazon.
Old 27th January 2016, 14:13   #105
BHPian

@sgiitk
Thank you for your prompt response. I have a 12V socket in the rear and it is easy to run the wire beneath the floor mats and between the sides of the seats- however, i am stuck trying to cross the rear back rest to the boot. It was with this view that i had asked help for removing the rear back rest. I had posted this in DIY, but the mods shifted it here. I understand now that both the locations are wrong.

While on the subject, still waiting for your promised report on the Waeco 14L- it was your postings on the fridge and decision to go in for the Waeco that made me follow suit and also become a T-BHP member. Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks