Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2015, 12:10   #76
BHPian

Re: Car Fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Managed to cut a......, and the smooth wire is the same.
My tropicool's adapter is also getting too hot. So i've not much used the fridge till now. And also never plugged it directly to mains - thanks to your suggestion above

Do you think using a 300W car inverter from cigarette lighter socket and then connecting 12V (AC to DC) tropicool adapter to the inverter will be better setup for long journeys?
Old 14th May 2015, 18:40   #77
BANNED

No need, I think it is just the cigarette lighter adapter from the cord which is the troublemaker, so put a nice hefty end to it. You may even examine the fuse, if it is pitted. Probably soldering the bad tip may fix it. No I will and always have used the cigarette lighter. Of course you can get the 15A adapter from abroad!
Old 20th May 2015, 07:49   #78
BHPian

Quote:
No need, I think it is just the cigarette lighter adapter from the cord which is the troublemaker........
Its all the way el cheapo chinese assembly.....wouldn't have bought if i had known that Tropicool doesn't make it in India.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Fridge-img_0769.jpg  

Old 20th May 2015, 10:03   #79
BANNED

Ir is not the power <6A but the arcing at the fuse holder. I have replaced the adapter with a 15A type. Also, we have a chronic high voltage problem in our area, and the power board (very well cosntructed, with FRP PCB!) blew twice.So I have added a 230 to 12V adapter from Tropicool in my kit.
Old 26th May 2015, 14:20   #80
BHPian

For those intending to buy Tropicool 12AD. It is available on Amazon for Rs 10K..The same product is available with the Bangalore distributor for Rs 13.5 K.
Old 27th May 2015, 00:25   #81
Senior - BHPian

I am using Chroma branded car cooler which was purchased from chroma for past 6-7 years .It is working fine however the pulg of the chord B shaped which goes in socket in the cooler is loose. Trying to find replacement socket however only source is Amazon or Aliexpress.

Any recommendation for good quality ones ? Please provide links

Is it a good idea to replace both male and female socket to normal 12 V connector commonly found in electrical spare shops ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
For those intending to buy Tropicool 12AD. It is available on Amazon for Rs 10K..The same product is available with the Bangalore distributor for Rs 13.5 K.
How about Godrej Chotu cool ?
https://www.chotukool.com/
Old 27th May 2015, 09:07   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, but then service can be an issue. I found Tropicool pretty decent.
Old 27th May 2015, 10:23   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

How about Godrej Chotu cool ?
One minor difference is that the unlike Tropicool, the godrej product can not be used as a warmer. The other difference is that the godrej product can cool only upto +10 deg C whereas Tropicool 12 AD can go down to -5 deg C.

Other wise from the price perspective the godrej product has higher capacity at half the price.
Old 27th May 2015, 13:31   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 15A cable from amazon.com with the original cord. I will have to cut and join (using heat shrink sleeving to seal) or use a 3M connector to piggy-back the cables. While the original cord is 12' (~4m) the new cord is only 6'. So I will have to join.
Can you please post a picture of the connector ( end which plugs in to the fridge body) , The connector for my Chroma fridge is loose and I need to buy a new one. Other option is to open the fridge and pull out 2 wires to permanently attach a 12 V cigarette slighter socket.

Quote:
One minor difference is that the unlike Tropicool, the godrej product can not be used as a warmer. The other difference is that the godrej product can cool only upto +10 deg C whereas Tropicool 12 AD can go down to -5 deg C.

Other wise from the price perspective the godrej product has higher capacity at half the price.
Well both are thermocouple ( peltier devices) Tropicool claims 30 to 35 degree Celsius below ambient at 25 degrees , As the ambient temperature dips the efficiency should also dip so I don't see how realistic is -5 deg claim.

http://tropicoolindia.com/index.php?...emart&Itemid=3

Whereas Godrej claims 28 degrees below ambient looks more definitive claim rather then a loose range 30 to 35.
https://www.chotukool.com/index.aspx

Key decision point could be if Godrej Chotukool can take 12 V DC chord or need external inverter.
Old 27th May 2015, 14:07   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Can you please post a picture of the connector ( end which plugs in to the fridge body) , The connector for my Chroma fridge is loose and I need to buy a new one. Other option is to open the fridge and pull out 2 wires to permanently attach a 12 V cigarette slighter socket.
I have posted the pictures at #74 and #75 on this thread. So just refer backa bit.
Old 27th May 2015, 14:42   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have posted the pictures at #74 and #75 on this thread. So just refer backa bit.
Yes sir saw those pics but they don't show the Connector which goes in to the cooler. Is the cross section somewhat shaped like letter "B" ?
Old 28th May 2015, 10:13   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Yes sir saw those pics but they don't show the Connector which goes in to the cooler. Is the cross section somewhat shaped like letter "B" ?
There are two connectors - one with a B section and the other with an 8 section. Logically the mains one cannot be entered into the 12/24V socket. So the choice is obvious. No damage if you plug the 12V into the mains socket. I have done it a few times. Obviously it does not work!
Old 28th May 2015, 11:12   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are two connectors - one with a B section and the other with an 8 section. Logically the mains one cannot be entered into the 12/24V socket. So the choice is obvious. No damage if you plug the 12V into the mains socket. I have done it a few times. Obviously it does not work!
Thanks a lot that clarifies, wanted to check before I order

The issue is that B section connector of 12 V chord is loose , If one holds with hand the fridge works , I tried inserting aluminium foil / toothpick / copper wire in the two tiny holes where Pins of B section female plug goes in but does not hold.

Other Idea I have is to replace both male-female B type plugs with normal DC connector used in Audio equipments will that socket be able to take about 5 Amps current ?
Old 29th May 2015, 10:04   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks a lot that clarifies, wanted to check before I order

The issue is that B section connector of 12 V chord is loose , If one holds with hand the fridge works , I tried inserting aluminium foil / toothpick / copper wire in the two tiny holes where Pins of B section female plug goes in but does not hold.

Other Idea I have is to replace both male-female B type plugs with normal DC connector used in Audio equipments will that socket be able to take about 5 Amps current ?
This should take 5A, the catch is the Cigarette lighter plug, the best I could find in India is 7A.
Old 30th May 2015, 19:30   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
Its all the way el cheapo chinese assembly.....wouldn't have bought if i had known that Tropicool doesn't make it in India.
My 12AD conked out tyoday. Overnight it chilled using the 6A adapter, but he connector tip was quite warm. Today when driving with it, the 15A plug threw itself out twice from the 2-way adapter and I pushed it back. Hot again! Then finally the acc fuse on my Civic blew, I lost the GPS as well. I think I will get some other. Have already had two breakdowns and my patience has run out. I travel about 3 times a year. My old German origin unit lasted for almost 30 years. I think I will check out Croma and Reliance.

Most Viewed