Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:21   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I am on lookout for a car fridge. what is the smallest size available. I have to fit it in the boot of my Lancer as there isn't any space inside; unless I remove centre console box and put this in its place.
1. You can get can chillers, six can size, and 12 can size. I will not advise the boot as it is warmer than the passenger compartment. 4C I am not sure, as the best they can do is 20-25C below ambient.

Plugging into mains is no problem. Battery drain is about 4A for the largest size.
Old 31st August 2010, 16:31   #32
BANNED

Car Fridge

I have had a Crestline Karry King car fridge for over 25 years. It was apparently West German with the Sticker Technology making it Indian. This thermoelectric unit consumes 4A and is able to keep things cool beautifully. The external dimensions are 280x410x410mm with the cavity of 200x288x300mm.

I am thinking of replacing it with a newer system. I have come across one system from Tropicool of 290x290x415mm size which is apparently a Tata (and maybe Toyota) OE and a second one which is a Maruti Genuine Accessory.

Any experience with either or both of them, and pricing thereof.
Old 31st August 2010, 16:53   #33
BHPian

I am using the same fridge (TROPIcool® Mobile Fridge cum Warmer - Model 12A) from Tropicool. I got it for around 8K around a year back.
Does the job well.
Old 10th September 2010, 15:00   #34
BANNED

Got the thing yesterday evening. Very fast service considering they got my cheque only on Friday evening. Excellent packing. Started it up with a -5C setting, and did get some ice on the walls.

Nitpicking: The manual could have been better. dates back to 2005, in poorEnglish, reminiscent of Japanese manuals of a quarter century ago. Also, doe not have basic info like current consumption and fuse rating. The fuse is 10A, and power ~5.5A at 12V. Secnd thing the cord storage is too small - will not accommodate either the mains cord (Indian plug is too big) or the lighter vord (wire bundle is too big); but then the space in a 12L device is limited.
Old 10th September 2010, 15:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Can you please post the price that you paid as their website doesnt mention the prices.

Also, whats the price difference between 18Ltr model and 12A??

thanks
Old 10th September 2010, 16:02   #36
BANNED

Sorry, forgot to mention that. I paid Rs.9700 in all (Rs.8000+12.5% VAT = 9000+700 for courier). As I have written earlier I have a 28 year old car fridge. The inside compartment is possibly marginally bigger, but thanks to better insulation the exterior is much smaller. The ergonomics are also far better. You will see the same thing in the interior 'studio' ads in magazines, incl. this months ACI. They mostly use it with the door on the side.

The 18L may require some special wiring since the 12L is already at 5.5A, and the ACC socket is fused at 10/15A.
Old 10th September 2010, 19:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Sorry, forgot to mention that. I paid Rs.9700 in all (Rs.8000+12.5% VAT = 9000+700 for courier). As I have written earlier I have a 28 year old car fridge. The inside compartment is possibly marginally bigger, but thanks to better insulation the exterior is much smaller. The ergonomics are also far better. You will see the same thing in the interior 'studio' ads in magazines, incl. this months ACI. They mostly use it with the door on the side.

The 18L may require some special wiring since the 12L is already at 5.5A, and the ACC socket is fused at 10/15A.
Looks Great, Where do you fit this ?

also I am not able to understand how does it chill when details say
No compressor
No Refrigerant Gas/Coils
Old 10th September 2010, 21:26   #38
BHPian

I bought the fridge sold at Croma outlets and used it for the first time last week on a drive to Kolhapur and back. When I checked at Satara, the bottles had become much colder: not chilled but very comfortably cold.

Someone recomended carrying silica based gel bags as a complement to the car fridge. Must try that sometime.
Old 13th September 2010, 16:06   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Looks Great, Where do you fit this ?

also I am not able to understand how does it chill when details say
No compressor, No Refrigerant Gas/Coils
Easy. They use Thermoelectric Modules (Peltier Effect). Essentially if you pass a current through a junction of some dissimilar materials the junction can get hot/cold depending on the direction of the current - this is opposite of a thermocouple where you get a voltage from a temperature difference (Seebeck effect). These devices get the temperature down by up to 25-30 degrees below ambient. They are not very efficient so do not expect a lot of cooling - they are for keeping cold stuff cold.

I place the unit on the rear seat, this way the temperature of the ambient is also lower than the boot, and the material inside is easily accessible.

A PROBLEM

I need a two way adapter for the Cigarette Lighter. I bought one for Rs.720 from 20north. The unit had a 2A fuse, so replaced it with an 8A fuse. Smelt plastic burning after about 10 minutes. Opened it up, and found the spring under the fuse skew, and not properly contacting the terminal plate. I have taken it out, and soldered the spring with a bit of wire in place to stop it from wandering too much.

Are any other units available, prince and source please!!!. I need it for plugging in the GPS (1A) and the fridge (5A).

Last edited by sgiitk : 13th September 2010 at 16:07.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2010, 10:24   #40
BANNED

Re: Car Fridge

Car Fridge-lighter_mod.jpg
This is the 20North adapter modified with the lead from on old Pump which is working with the Fridge + GPS. The fuse in the circuit as installed by Honda is 15A.

Much cheaper than trying to source one from BMW or Toyota.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2010, 10:32   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

hey thats interesting!
How much is that fridge at Croma?

I usually use a plain Colemans Cool Box (no electrical input) and load it with Silica based Gel Ice Bags to keep my water and fruits cold - this works very well for a typical 6-7 hour drive in my experience.

I ve been meaning to pick a fridge so I shall pop over to Croma and see what they've got on offer.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
I bought the fridge sold at Croma outlets and used it for the first time last week on a drive to Kolhapur and back. When I checked at Satara, the bottles had become much colder: not chilled but very comfortably cold.

Someone recomended carrying silica based gel bags as a complement to the car fridge. Must try that sometime.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2010, 11:25   #42
BANNED

@Shankar.balan I bought mine from Tropicool based in Pune who manufacture these for Rs.9000. I hear that they are OE for Toyota & Maruti. From the pics of the DC conversions the fridge looks to be the same. Earlier I had a German unit which I own since 1982! Just decided to replace it.
Old 28th December 2010, 12:04   #43
BANNED

thanks!
how is the tropicool fridge in comparison to the old German one?
in terms of performance.
Are you happy with the VFM signified in this purchase @ Rs 9000?
do let me know - would value your input

Quote:
@Shankar.balan I bought mine from Tropicool based in Pune who manufacture these for Rs.9000. I hear that they are OE for Toyota & Maruti. From the pics of the DC conversions the fridge looks to be the same. Earlier I had a German unit which I own since 1982! Just decided to replace it.
Old 28th December 2010, 13:48   #44
BANNED

@shankar.balan: This is an excellent unit. 25+ years of technology clearly shows. I find it good VFM. I think I paid about 5.5k for the German Unit in 1982! Coolin is better, you can set the temperature, and the mains adapter is built in (no separate box!). Check their website, for a local dealer.
Old 28th December 2010, 14:01   #45
BANNED

thanks v much indeed
will check and plan purchase

Quote:
@shankar.balan: This is an excellent unit. 25+ years of technology clearly shows. I find it good VFM. I think I paid about 5.5k for the German Unit in 1982! Coolin is better, you can set the temperature, and the mains adapter is built in (no separate box!). Check their website, for a local dealer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks