Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2016, 09:03   #106
BANNED

Re: Car Fridge

@earthin; I am quite happy with the Waeco. One minor problem, the handle has a habit of coming out, but make sure the lid is in place then it does not. So now I ensure the lib is in place before trying to lift the unit. In fact I prefer with the fan output on the side, I do not need to put the unit along the seat, it can be transverse (less space lost). This was the case with my first car fridge as well.

One point,what may be desirable is a car lighter socket in the boot, and the thing hard-wired to the power. You will find the power duct opening in the door sill to disgorge some wires.

Last edited by sgiitk : 28th January 2016 at 09:32.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 13:11   #107
BHPian

Thank you, @sgiitk
I just removed the back seat and ran the wire under and though the conduit to the fuse compartment in the boot from where i have got it out. The supply is through the cigarette lighter socket in the rear of the car. All set for a short trip to Pushkar.
Old 3rd February 2016, 13:14   #108
BHPian

Just back from the short trip. The Waeco 14L worked very well. However, 1 litre mineral water bottles cannot be kept upright. At least some of the brands that i had got could not be kept upright. Pity. Half an inch more would have done the trick.
Old 7th February 2016, 14:43   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKM View Post
Hi
can you please give an update on the product, planning to get one.
Saw your post just now.

18AD is working fine. I use it while traveling to Himachal/Uttrakhand hills - at least four times a year. I need cooling for about 10 hours - approx time to reach about 6000Ft height. For this is a very short time to get stuff cooled, i need to keep it on with the eatables overnight with ac/dc converter and by morning its quite cool to transfer to car.

In hills i need the hot function to keep snacks warm while sight seeing/picnicking. That functions is very nice especially when its snowing on the road

Last month i went to Chail in Himachal and 18AD worked fine.
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 16:22   #110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
For this is a very short time to get stuff cooled, i need to keep it on with the eatables overnight with ac/dc converter and by morning its quite cool to transfer to car.

In hills i need the hot function to keep snacks warm while sight seeing/picnicking. That functions is very nice especially when its snowing on the road
As I mentioned I probably got unlucky with my 12AD, and the fault cound not be diagnosed. Any thermoelectric system will have heat and cool function as standard. A thermoelectric system has a junction of two dissimilar metals - say A & B. So if a current flow from A > B is heating then B > A will be cooling. Heating efficiency is far more than cooling.
Old 18th April 2016, 07:11   #111
BHPian

My 18AD is having two problems now:

1. The fan makes lot of noise on starting for 2 minutes, then gets settle down slowly to quiet mode.

2. The 12V cigarette connector contacts getting too hot and auto-disconnecting power.
I've never used direct 220v - even in car. Always used tropicool AC/DC convertor.

Any suggestions if i connect the wires directly to AC/DC output removing the cigarette adapter?

Last edited by DwarkaDelhiWala : 18th April 2016 at 07:12.
Old 18th April 2016, 08:57   #112
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
1. The fan makes lot of noise on starting for 2 minutes, then gets settle down slowly to quiet mode.

2. The 12V cigarette connector contacts getting too hot and auto-disconnecting power.
I've never used direct 220v - even in car. Always used tropicool AC/DC convertor.
1. Quite normal.
2. This became my problem and finally started blowing fuses. I got a 15A cigarette lighter connector and soldered it in, that too worked for about one trip, before getting thrown out and then on reinsertion blowing the 15A fuse. Connector getting warm is fine but not hot.

3. I have used the AC lead with no issues. In fact before it finally gave up, the AC/DC convertor connector was also getting hot.
Old 18th April 2016, 09:42   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
1. Quite normal.
2. This became my problem and finally started blowing fuses. I got a 15A cigarette lighter connector and soldered it in, that too worked for about one trip, before getting thrown out and then on reinsertion blowing the 15A fuse. Connector getting warm is fine but not hot.

3. I have used the AC lead with no issues. In fact before it finally gave up, the AC/DC convertor connector was also getting hot.
Not sure if this is the issue. I vaguely recollect that the manual mentions that the cooler should not be run for more than 10 hrs continuously...
Old 18th April 2016, 12:42   #114
Team-BHP Support

Can anyone suggest something with a compressor ? I need a chiller , regular -20/-30 over ambient are not going to suffice my requirements.
Old 18th April 2016, 14:35   #115
BHPian

I went to the Tropicool dealer in Bangalore today, and the model 12AD was turned on for their use. The walls of the cooler were cold, but the water bottles inside were at normal temperature. How long does it take for water bottles to chill if you start with ambient temperature?

One of the applications I have in mind is to keep face towels soaked in water - very refreshing on hot days. And fruits.

If it is recommended that the items be pre-chilled and the cooler will only maintain the temperature, then it is of limited use.

The dealer was not very encouraging about compressor based models as they were expensive and thus not stocked.

If anyone has used compressor-based models, or had better cooling experiences with other thermoelectric ones, please share your experiences.

Thanks!
Old 18th April 2016, 15:10   #116
BANNED

@arao; Cooling capacity is near zero. So prechilling is almost mandatory. Of course one or two cold packs help a lot. I prechill the stuff, and also put one or two cold packs (I guess the ones used for sprains should also do). It does cool stuff but very very slowly. So the alternative is to prechill, put a couple of ice-packs and then remove the packs if required.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 11:19   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
1. Quite normal.

Thanks sgiitk and adnaps.

Now the tropicool works for 1-2 minutes and then switches off itself (the green LED goes off). I've tried both 12V and 220V.

Now i've to locate the bill from Reliance Auto zone, call up the manufacturer...the works..
Old 22nd April 2016, 13:34   #118
BHPian

@sgiitk
My Waeco is working quite well. The only issue is that i used the 12V cord supplied, in one of cars and would not like to remove it. Tried getting a spare cord( for the other car) from the seller at Amazon, but could not get them to respond.
Any leads? ( sorry for the pun!)
Old 22nd April 2016, 21:43   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My Waeco is working quite well.
Do you have compressor one or thermoelectric ?

I have been offered Mobicool by a Delhi-based dealer - anyone using these ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MOBICOOL.pdf (3.94 MB, 455 views)
Old 23rd April 2016, 13:15   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Do you have compressor one or thermoelectric ?
These are thermoelectric.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks