Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2013, 14:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Where to buy Osram Night Breakers ?!?

Any good source where I can get a pair of Osram NB+ or Philips XV in Kerala, anywhere from Trivandrum to Cochin?
Old 9th November 2013, 18:14   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Any good source where I can get a pair of Osram NB+ or Philips XV in Kerala, anywhere from Trivandrum to Cochin?
If you are interested, please check www.autotrends.in They had the BEST pricing I have seen for NB+ H4 at Rs.900/- a pair.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 19:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If you are interested, please check www.autotrends.in They had the BEST pricing I have seen for NB+ H4 at Rs.900/- a pair.
Thanks but I am really weary of buying glass items online. Last week I received a shattered glass painting, where the glass has even marred the canvas.

Does anybody have experience buying headlamps online?
Old 10th November 2013, 02:01   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks but I am really weary of buying glass items online. Last week I received a shattered glass painting, where the glass has even marred the canvas.

Does anybody have experience buying headlamps online?
Yes I had ordered Philips xv online and received them in good packing.

OTP - Even though XV is better than stock but God forbid, if it starts raining then it turns worse than stock! And I am seeing similar reviews for NB+. Probably the higher kelvin is to be blamed as opposed to yellowish light emitted by stock lamps. Considering that you are in heavy rain prone area, make your choice accordingly.
torque18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 02:23   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsingh007 View Post
I agree with the above! I've been using Crystal Visions on all my cars and they're amazing! Superb night vision with simple plug and play installation! They're a bit privey at around 1000 bucks a pair but absolutely worth it!
Old 10th November 2013, 10:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
OTP - Even though XV is better than stock but God forbid, if it starts raining then it turns worse than stock! And I am seeing similar reviews for NB+
Oh, then there is no other go than to stick with stock bulbs till I get out of warranty. The VW service center here do not have any bulbs than the OEMs nor will they put a relay themselves.

EDIT:

Quote:
Probably the higher kelvin is to be blamed as opposed to yellowish light emitted by stock lamps.
You are right about this fact, but I just checked the Kelvin ranges of the stock and the NB+ and found it as 3200K for stock and up to 4000K for the NB+. Will it be a big difference? I got a different review on the Vento thread.

Last edited by thoma : 10th November 2013 at 11:10.
Old 10th November 2013, 19:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma
You are right about this fact, but I just checked the Kelvin ranges of the stock and the NB+ and found it as 3200K for stock and up to 4000K for the NB+. Will it be a big difference? I got a different review on the Vento thread.
I read on one of the eBay seller's page that Philips xv is kelvin 3000. And if you will notice, above 3500k the kelvin scale turns white. However xv is not completely white. It is still yellowish but quite whiter from the stock. NB+ should be similar.

I might be wrong because I am relying on the kelvin rating given by one of the sellers on eBay.
Old 11th November 2013, 09:38   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks but I am really weary of buying glass items online. Last week I received a shattered glass painting, where the glass has even marred the canvas...
NBs usually come inside a strong plastic case - So I doubt there will be any issues in the first place. Again, a lot depends on the shipper and the courier he chooses and how they handle it. Can't guarantee anything. But whenever I have ordered from eBay or anywhere else, things have come packed well.

Quote:
Oh, then there is no other go than to stick with stock bulbs till I get out of warranty. The VW service center here do not have any bulbs than the OEMs nor will they put a relay themselves...
Have they themselves denied it? AVG guys told me that they do 100W bulb upgrades with proper wiring / relay and costs around 1200/-. But I guess you are better off NOT doing it as the checking is strict now a days.

Quote:
...but I just checked the Kelvin ranges of the stock and the NB+ and found it as 3200K for stock and up to 4000K for the NB+. Will it be a big difference?
Quote:
...And if you will notice, above 3500k the kelvin scale turns white. However xv is not completely white. It is still yellowish but quite whiter from the stock. NB+ should be similar...
The actual white light starts from 6000K and 4300K looks more yellowish than white. So I really don't understand how a 3500K can be white!

Having said that, NBs have white light for high beams and yellow for low beams (guess that's the same for NB+ as well). Not sure how this is achieved since there is ONLY on bulb in H4. But again during rains, I believe all of us reduce speeds and also switch to low beam to reduce refraction(?) and hence NB will be in yellow light.

I really can't recollect how my NB was during rains, so could NOT comment on it.

@thoma, how do our MVD plan to catch those guys using higher wattage bulb? I presume they are gonna use the light intensity to arrive at a decision rather than the heat emitted; so even a 55W NB+ / Extreme vision guy will be caught I guess. Add to it, the senseless morons would NOT listen to anything that you would say.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 11th November 2013 at 09:40.
Old 11th November 2013, 10:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have they themselves denied it?
Yes, the VW service center here does not do relays or higher wattage! Though the SA has given a contact of a related person who does the same outside. I do not want to be on the back foot, dealing with these guys, in case any warranty issue crop up.

Quote:
@thoma, how do our MVD plan to catch those guys using higher wattage bulb? I presume they are gonna use the light intensity to arrive at a decision rather than the heat emitted; so even a 55W NB+ / Extreme vision guy will be caught I guess. Add to it, the senseless morons would NOT listen to anything that you would say.
I guess they are using lux meters. More, in this thread.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 10:27   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I bought a set of OSRAM NB+ from autotends three months back (Rs.799/-) for my Figo. The service is prompt. OSRAM has a nice hard case packing.
r_devakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 10:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I had ordered Philips xv online and received them in good packing.

OTP - Even though XV is better than stock but God forbid, if it starts raining then it turns worse than stock! And I am seeing similar reviews for NB+. Probably the higher kelvin is to be blamed as opposed to yellowish light emitted by stock lamps. Considering that you are in heavy rain prone area, make your choice accordingly.
I had XV - used them for the Gurgaon-Chennai drive and HATED every moment of it. Recently went back to the old Silverstars and couldn't be happier.

At night time I am usually not above 90-100 (that too, courtesy the deserted roads here!!). The Xtreme Vision costed me about 1200 a pair and yes the beam went farther, but for me, it illuminated far less of the road. This led to a really torrid and painfully slow drive in heavy rain around Ghodbunder on the way in - and it was totally frustrating. The Silverstar is the right mix for me, as far as I am concerned.

Not to mention it cost 300/pair.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 00:33   #42
BHPian

Quote:

The actual white light starts from 6000K and 4300K looks more yellowish than white. So I really don't understand how a 3500K can be white!
Hi

Following is the link that Thoma had posted in his earlier post. If you will see the Kelvin scale there, above 3500k it starts turning bluish. The stock lamps that we generally get are in the region of 3000k while XV I read is rated at 3200k which makes sense going by the scale given in the link as its slightly whiter but retains the yellow tinge.

4300k would therefore be in the blue light region and 6000k is completely blue light.

fact
Old 12th November 2013, 03:56   #43
BHPian

Experts please re-check and post a update here so new visitors are not confused.
check www.autotrends.in
lists the NB+ as FOG LIGHT bulb while its a very common H4.
Also they don't have Santro in compatibility list, other models may be missing.

When its a Headlight Bulb why they list it as for Fog ?? very confusing for buyers.

I've used Crystal vision in past and have them currently, now one side bulb is gone bad, and need to buy one soon as having dual color headlights, One XV and one Stock !

Last edited by ghpk : 12th November 2013 at 03:59. Reason: corrected XV to crystal
Old 12th November 2013, 10:30   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Following is the link that Thoma had posted in his earlier post. If you will see the Kelvin scale there, above 3500k it starts turning bluish. The stock lamps that we generally get are in the region of 3000k while XV I read is rated at 3200k which makes sense going by the scale given in the link as its slightly whiter but retains the yellow tinge.

4300k would therefore be in the blue light region and 6000k is completely blue light.

fact
Thanks for the link, but I doubt the credibility. For more proofs, you could search for 6000K light and see the images popping with the Kelvin details (Could NOT paste the images from office). My comments were based on personal experience with a 6000K HID bulb which I used for 6 months or so. There may be a light bluish tint to it, but it's majorly white. Also if you see the Kelvin scale in most of the results, you can easily make out that 4300K is more yellowish. In this very forum there are suggestions to use 4300K for HIDs in order to make the light beams look (closer to) stock.

My assumption is that the Kelvin scale will be the same for a normal Halogen and also HIDs. If it's different, then your statement could hold well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Experts please re-check and post a update here so new visitors are not confused.
check www.autotrends.in
lists the NB+ as FOG LIGHT bulb while its a very common H4.
Also they don't have Santro in compatibility list, other models may be missing.

When its a Headlight Bulb why they list it as for Fog ?? very confusing for buyers...
H4 is NOT fog light, rather the headlight bulbs. From what I recollect, fog light bulbs are H8 / H11.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 12th November 2013 at 10:34. Reason: Adding the seconf quote/
Old 12th November 2013, 10:34   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the link, but I doubt the credibility. For more proofs, you could search for 6000K light and see the images popping with the Kelvin details (Could NOT paste the images from office). My comments were based on personal experience with a 6000K HID bulb which I used for 6 months or so. There may be a light bluish tint to it, but it's majorly white. Also if you see the Kelvin scale in most of the results, you can easily make out that 4300K is more yellowish. In this very forum there are suggestions to use 4300K for HIDs in order to make the light beams look (closer to) stock.

My assumption is that the Kelvin scale will be the same for a normal Halogen and also HIDs. If it's different, then your statement could hold well.
4300k - White light with yellow tinge
6000k - White light with blue tinge

Also K scale for halogen and HIDs will be slightly different.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks