Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:10   #1696
Team-BHP Support

I have understood one thing about car manufacturer/dealers in India. MOST of them just go with the minimum spec which most often = least cost and max margin, when it comes to lubricants.
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:34   #1697
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have understood one thing about car manufacturer/dealers in India. MOST of them just go with the minimum spec which most often = least cost and max margin, when it comes to lubricants.
Jaggu,

I have noticed the same at service stations. If you get the oil that you want filled in your car, they will first say that it wil void your warranty. If the car is out of the warranty period, the comment you hear is that the company doesn't recommend the brand, not suitable for this engine and blah, blah, blah.

Its only if you get a knowledgeable service advisor do things become easier.
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:36   #1698
BANNED

I do not think the service fellow has much to stand on. The manufacturer recommends a minimum grade - API-SG by Hyundai. So if I use oil of the right viscosity which is any of the currently valid grades - API SJ/SL/SM he cannot crib. In fact API SF (Servo) is below their own specs! I never had any problems with either Maruti or Hyundai here.
Old 5th July 2009, 02:03   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
....I will say that there may be a benefit in using full synths only if:
1. You intend to extend the drain intervals beyond 10,000km (once a year is still a must).
2. Drive under extreme conditions, or have an engine for which Synthetic is clearly specified.
3. Have excess of money, or like to brag about using full synth.
@sgiitk, it was this post of yours that almost dissuaded me from shifting to fully synthetic for my swift. But I did it anyway and it does seem to have made a difference.
Certain niggling issues which the last couple of services could not entirely iron out now seem to be gone. A minor stalling and knocking issue seems to be gone along with a slight whine from the engine. I am sure that this is not the placebo effect.
I did not put in engine protector as I felt that Mobil1 would already have all ingredients required. Should I just go ahead and pour in a can of protector?
Also, fully synthetic gearbox oil is obscenely expensive, so I went with the regular version. Would a gearbox & differential additive (OWS or Bardahl) help?
Old 5th July 2009, 11:29   #1700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I did not put in engine protector as I felt that Mobil1 would already have all ingredients required. Should I just go ahead and pour in a can of protector?
Also, fully synthetic gearbox oil is obscenely expensive, so I went with the regular version. Would a gearbox & differential additive (OWS or Bardahl) help?
do not put any engine oil additive with fully synthetic oils. they offer more protection than these additives.
regular 80w90 oil is enough for gearbox. still if you want you can add bardahl/ows gear box oil additive. but regular oil does the duty in gearbox. drain interval is also @ 20000 kms
Old 5th July 2009, 16:38   #1701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
do not put any engine oil additive with fully synthetic oils. ...........
Thanks Amit. It does seem to be logical to assume that synthetic 5w50 @ Rs.800/l would already contain all the required stuff, but one does get carried away by marketing claims.
The engine flush seems to have done a lot of good too. The engine is purring now and cold starts are much better.

Last edited by Roy.S : 5th July 2009 at 16:40.
Old 5th July 2009, 19:52   #1702
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I did it anyway and it does seem to have made a difference.
Certain niggling issues which the last couple of services could not entirely iron out now seem to be gone. A minor stalling and knocking issue seems to be gone along with a slight whine from the engine. I am sure that this is not the placebo effect.
You will notice a difference on switching to fully synthetic, especially on cold starts and overall driveability of the engine. The difference will be a little more perceptible once you have run a few thousand kms.

As for the engine protector, just like amit mentioned, you don't have to add anything to Mobil 1 as it comes formulated with additives that are sufficient.
Old 5th July 2009, 19:55   #1703
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but one does get carried away by marketing claims.
Marketing after all is not a battle of products, its a battle of perceptions.
Old 14th July 2009, 15:50   #1704
BHPian

Switching over to Synthetic oil

My Indigo XL Dicor has been sent for her 3rd Service. She will be getting her first dose of Synthetic Oil after an Engine Flush. Let me see how she performs after that.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:01   #1705
BANNED

Quote:
@sgiitk, it was this post of yours that almost dissuaded me .... ve made a difference.
Certain niggling issues ..... from the engine. I am sure that this is not the placebo effect.
I just cannot see how oil can make a difference to knocking! My guess is that you have a hot spot in the engine which went/burnt away. Or something with the old oil being ... I stick with API-SM Semi synth. When I used full synth in my Esteem ages ago it did not make a dime worth of difference, except I was out by a few hundred additional dimes!!

I have a feeling that additiives are a no-no in crank case. On the other hand it may be useful in the gearbox!
Old 15th July 2009, 17:53   #1706
BHPian

Now the Mobil 1 5W50 is CF rating i ve heard, and Swift DDiS requires minimum CI rating. Which is the Mobil fully synthetic engine oil thats perfect for CI rating like in DDiS?
Old 15th July 2009, 18:20   #1707
Team-BHP Support

Ratings are ok but does it have extra detergents which is a pre-requisite for Turbo diesel engine with EGR application. Thats the question?
Old 16th July 2009, 04:09   #1708
BHPian

hi guys ,
well i have e small query i'm right now in us and i'm getting castrol syntec 5W-40 API-SL for alomst rs.1900/= (4.7ltrs approx) should i buy it for my NHC only thing is in future is it ok if i switch over to 0W-40(mobil 1) or 5w-40(castrol edge or OWS) which is available in india? its going to be my forst change at 10000kms so please guide me? i had heard that changing the grade all time spoils the engine? is it true? can i change the brands if not the grades?
also i stay in mumbai which one amongst the above mentioned engine oils do you recommend for NHC?
Old 16th July 2009, 06:15   #1709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Now the Mobil 1 5W50 is CF rating i ve heard, and Swift DDiS requires minimum CI rating. Which is the Mobil fully synthetic engine oil thats perfect for CI rating like in DDiS?
That's Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40/API CI-4 which is fully synthetic.
Old 16th July 2009, 10:08   #1710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Swift DDiS requires minimum CI rating.

Swift DDIS requires a minimum CG rating and not CI. CI is couple of Notches higher than the minimum required rating.

Most Viewed