Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2009, 23:23   #1606
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is definitely a grey area. I'd be much more comfortable using Delvac 1, which is formulated only for diesels. However, the supplies are thin in India. Merc India recommends & uses only Mobil 1 in all its diesel engines!
Not really, Mobil 1 is merc approved and certified from day 1 and hence it can be used on Merc.

Something i have understood, different engines do require and can run safely on different oils. If the oil has a particular manufacturer's certification one neednt worry much.
Old 29th May 2009, 00:21   #1607
BHPian

My Dicor 2.2 VTT is nearing second service and first oil change. I was planning to use Synthetic. I would love to hear from Safari owners who have changed from mineral to synth. Comments/advice most welcome.
Old 29th May 2009, 06:39   #1608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsNsqueals View Post
I would love to hear from Safari owners who have changed from mineral to synth.
at 7.5 litres an oil change, I dont think there are any

Chevron delo 400 (arguably the best mineral oil) is available in 7.5L buckets - just the right amount for your truck
Old 29th May 2009, 11:48   #1609
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Chevron delo 400 (arguably the best mineral oil) is available in 7.5L buckets - just the right amount for your truck
AFAIK, its available in 10L buckets minimum. I think the 15L will suit a Safari owner.
Old 1st June 2009, 11:24   #1610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is definitely a grey area. I'd be much more comfortable using Delvac 1, which is formulated only for diesels. However, the supplies are thin in India. Merc India recommends & uses only Mobil 1 in all its diesel engines!
BMW too uses Mobil 1. What are the drawbacks of using this over the Delvac 1?
Thanks to the BSI plan I'm stuck with the options provided by the dealership.
Old 1st June 2009, 14:43   #1611
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
BMW too uses Mobil 1. What are the drawbacks of using this over the Delvac 1?
Thanks to the BSI plan I'm stuck with the options provided by the dealership.
As long as BMW & Mobil1 say that its okay, I wouldn't have a problem. It's just that I'd be more comfortable with using an oil that's developed primarily for diesel engines, rather than a type that is used in both : petrol + diesel.

Don't sweat, we're safe.
Old 5th June 2009, 17:58   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
at 7.5 litres an oil change, I dont think there are any

Thanks Green and Eddy for your comments. I will have my second service at 10K. Tata specifies that it is either 15K for city use and 7.5K for highway use. Since my drive consists of a mix of city and highway, I think 10K is okay. I was interested in chaniging to Synthetic oil and sought advice on that from Safari owners who have done that.
Old 9th June 2009, 18:18   #1613
Team-BHP Support

Delvac 1 will have better soot control and detergents PLUS higher tolerance towards longer change intervals. Otherwise what GTO has posted has summed it up.
Old 11th June 2009, 18:05   #1614
BHPian

Just changed to Synthetic (Selenia K) 5W40 in my Palio 1.6 Sport at 29500kms and this engine oil is used to be filled in FIAT Linea FIRE. Costed me a 5lts can at 2200/- at a TASC

Though the car has become smooth, cold starts are much better, but I can hear a humming noise inside the cabin which was non-existant before.

So, the engine oil is rated to be changed at 30Kkms (as specified for the Linea), I presume it is same for Palio too. Though I intend to change in next 10K kms which will take an year.
Old 11th June 2009, 20:59   #1615
BHPian

Switched to Mobil1 5W50 for my Ford Fiesta Petrol @ 8450KM six months service. Had changed oil(mineral) @ 2200 KM after looking up running in thread.

Used to switch off annoyingly @ stop start traffic. Few of my friends who drove it also faced same issue, one even commented that he had seen this in a couple of other Fiestas as well.
Also when I used to raise the rpm @ lower Gears there used to be a growl that I thought was normal, this was consistent even right after I had changed oil @ 2200 Km.

After switching to Mobil1 5W50 all of 4.2L car feels like its grown quieter, smoother doesn't tend to switch off @ 3rd gear 15 kmph speeds, and feels like floating (for lack of words like that MRF tyre ad) I used to like the growl but wondered if i'm hurting the engine.
I guess this is far better for the car, though it doesn't sound as sporty.
Its as smooth on third gear as it was on fifth earlier.

After reading this thread for more than three hours, my input is synthetic oil is worth the service cost of Rs.3794 @ Rs.770 per Litre for the oil + taxes. And I don't think its placebo effect.

Last edited by marlinspike : 11th June 2009 at 21:00.
Old 12th June 2009, 07:07   #1616
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
Hi,

My accent just got overhauled a few weeks and is being run in now. i will be changing to a synthetic oil after 2.5K kms. This car will also be running on CNG. The car tends to heat more on CNG and the mechanicals are stressed to some extent i believe. i use wurth coolant and have removed the thermostat valve. Now what synthetic oil should i go for? i have used castrol edge and not very pleased with it (maybe because it is 5W40). Now, what are the other good options i have??
The time has come for me to change the engine oil. the first oil change at 500kms - the oil was black. after another 2K kms completed i checked the dipstick and the oil looks fresh. should i change the engine oil? My tuner told me first change at 500 kms and second change after another 2K kms. i don't want a synthetic oil, because of the grade. so which mineral oil should i go for?
Old 12th June 2009, 11:09   #1617
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
I guess this is far better for the car, though it doesn't sound as sporty. Its as smooth on third gear as it was on fifth earlier.
After reading this thread for more than three hours, my input is synthetic oil is worth the service cost of Rs.3794 @ Rs.770 per Litre
marlinspike,

I agree, the engine does perform a lot smoother and quieter when on Mobil 1. especially when revved in 3'rd gear, it seems that much more eager and free revving

As for the oil, why don't you buy it from the Mobil 1 distributer here in BLR, you will get it a lot cheaper especially if you buy in bulk.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 15th June 2009, 10:53   #1618
Senior - BHPian

I have got 5L can of Mobil Delvac MX which I plan to use on my Swift D. I have a 10000 km service interval. Hence I need suggestions to store the unused 1.9L safely for future use after 6 months or so. I plan to close the can tightly and seal the mouth off with an additional plastic cover. Any other innovative suggestions.
Old 15th June 2009, 11:08   #1619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Hence I need suggestions to store the unused 1.9L safely for future use after 6 months or so. I plan to close the can tightly and seal the mouth off with an additional plastic cover. Any other innovative suggestions.
I feel just closing the lid and storing it in some shaded place is good enough. I had kept the 0.7 ltr unused mobil 1 for more than 6 months by just closing the lid properly. Nothing happened to it.
Old 15th June 2009, 11:14   #1620
Team-BHP Support

The can has a decent lid, use it and store it in cool and preferably dark place. Thats all to keep it safe for 6 months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks