Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 07:18   #1561
Senior - BHPian

Truth in Advertising: BP v. Royal Purple
Old 24th April 2009, 13:06   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Fellow Pune Bhpians, One of my friend is looking for a Mobil1 Distributor in Pune City and would like to know the location of the Mobil1 Distributor. He came across some Dealers but as we all know they sell the variants @ a much higher price, just wanted to know the dealer details.

He is looking for Mobil1 5W50 variant for his Wagor R having done 35K Kms. If am not wrong a 4L 5W50 variant can be sourced for around Rs 3400/-.

I checked this thread for specific posts giving the Distributor details in Pune, but could not find it. If already provided in this thread itself, please point me to the posts specifying the same.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 24th April 2009 at 13:09.
Old 24th April 2009, 13:55   #1563
BHPian

Ask him to contact Raka Oil Company (Lubricants)
They are distributors for Mobil products in Pune region.
Old 24th April 2009, 15:11   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Have seen Mobil at the following places recently -

Car accessories shop adjacent to Kulkarni Petrol Pump (Premier Service Station) at the begining of laxmi road. Cant recall shop name.

An oil shop near the begining of Paud Road. Its almost below the fly-over.

Cannon vouch for authenticity or anything... so take care.
Old 24th April 2009, 19:19   #1565
Senior - BHPian

Thanks rb2399 and Raccoon for the info and will let him know the same.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 24th April 2009 at 19:26.
Old 25th April 2009, 00:35   #1566
BHPian

Mobil 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Fellow Pune Bhpians, One of my friend is looking for a Mobil1 Distributor in Pune City and would like to know the location of the Mobil1 Distributor.
Raka Oil Company / Raka BharatGas Agency near Chinchwad Police Station on the Mumbai-Pune Highway distributes both Mobil 1 and Shell Helix Ultra Oils. The contact number is (020) 2748 5555. Please contact Mr. Raka himself and PM me if you need his mobile number.
Old 25th April 2009, 18:08   #1567
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sumit Bhatti View Post
Raka Oil Company / Raka BharatGas Agency near Chinchwad Police Station on the Mumbai-Pune Highway distributes both Mobil 1 and Shell Helix Ultra Oils. The contact number is (020) 2748 5555. Please contact Mr. Raka himself and PM me if you need his mobile number.
I had enquired about Mobil 1 with Mr. Raka himself who is helpful and polite. He gave me the address of a retailer in Pune city limits (Nana Peth) - Gyani Motors, 389 Nana Peth Near Modern Bakery. Tel # 2635-2947.

Things have not changed much since I filled Mobil 1 (5W-50) in my OHC several years ago. Unfortunately Exxon Mobil India still believe in peddling Mobil 1 only in 5W-50 viscosity. They also have Mobil 'Synt' 5W-40 fully synth oil though it supposedly is not as good as Mobil 1.

Rgds,
Old 25th April 2009, 21:46   #1568
Senior - BHPian

gyani sells mobil 1 for Rs.3250
Old 16th May 2009, 21:07   #1569
BHPian

The newer cars use synthetic oils and some of them uses semi-synthetic.it is best to follow owners manual.There is no need to do frequent oil changes if you are using synthetic oil ,it defeats the purpose.Older cars should use dino oils there are instances that using synthetic in these engines can cause oil leaks.Most oil companies have synthetic oils i.e mobil,shell,BP,etc....it is best to follow manufacturer's recommendations..it is equally important to use quality gasolines(petrol/diesel),if one can find TOP TIER gasoline,then use it ...not all gasolines are top tier.The top tier gasoline removes deposits from valves left from regular conventional gas(petrol).Oil filters are equally very important.Always use a quality filter.just my 2 cents
Old 20th May 2009, 12:55   #1570
BANNED

Hi,

My accent just got overhauled a few weeks and is being run in now. i will be changing to a synthetic oil after 2.5K kms. This car will also be running on CNG. The car tends to heat more on CNG and the mechanicals are stressed to some extent i believe. i use wurth coolant and have removed the thermostat valve. Now what synthetic oil should i go for? i have used castrol edge and not very pleased with it (maybe because it is 5W40). Now, what are the other good options i have??
Old 20th May 2009, 13:02   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Saintsinner - Wait till you car finishes at least 5k kms before switching to synthetic. You can try either Shell Helix Ultra or Mobil 1.
Old 20th May 2009, 13:16   #1572
BHPian

No thermostat = bad for the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
Hi,

My accent just got overhauled a few weeks and is being run in now. i will be changing to a synthetic oil after 2.5K kms. This car will also be running on CNG. The car tends to heat more on CNG and the mechanicals are stressed to some extent i believe. i use wurth coolant and have removed the thermostat valve.
Removing the thermostat valve does not make the cooling system more efficient - You should never remove the thermostat valve in any case.

Its a common myth that removing the thermostat valve helps the engine if the car is facing overheating problems - its never actually true (unless the thermostat was faulty i.e. not opening fully).

By removing the thermostat, the engine will take a longer time to reach the optimal temperature i.e. warm up from a cold start - so its just increasing the "stress" on your cars engine.
Old 20th May 2009, 16:40   #1573
BHPian

Agree. Removing the thermostat can undercool your car and that is bad for mileage as well. When the temp sensor senses low temp, it enriches the mixture -- this adds to pollution and low mileage. fit the right temp sensor. They are avail in slightly diff temp sensors typically avail so if you want to run a bit cooler that's do-able (I think they are in +/-5C increments). Not sure if these are avail here, but I would imagine it is.
B
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:20   #1574
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Mobil 1 5W50 review & a few queries

Ok, on having read all about synthetic oil and the benefits, I was contemplating between OWS and Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil. I finally made the switch to Mobil 1 5W50 in my Alto at the 10,000 kms mark. I have now covered 5,000 kms on this oil and thought of posting my review here.

The difference in performance of the engine was astounding in the intital days after I changed the oil, but since then I have gotten used to it. The engine has now run 15,075 kms and is noticeable smoother and more eager revving. I have noticed that it takes a shorter time to come up to optimum operating temperature on a cold start and under extreme conditions in city traffic, the engine runs smoother.

Before the 10K oil change I changed the oil twice at 1K and 5K kms respectively with mineral oil at the M.A.S.S and on switching to Mobil 1, the difference was clearly evident- a smoother, quieter, free revving (especially with the AC on) engine.

In terms of mileage, I can't say that I have noticed a big change, but since the change to Mobil 1, there has been a marginal increase in the overall mileage figure of the car.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the performance of the oil despite the higher cost involved. I will be sticking to Mobil 1 for all future oil changes.

A few queries though:
  1. I flushed my engine at the 10K mark before the switch to synthetic, should I flush it again at the 20K mark when I change the oil despite sticking to synthetic?
  2. I checked the oil after about 1,500 kms, I noticed that the level on the dipstick had lowered slightly, so I topped it up with the oil left from one of the cans. Since the oil level has stayed constant and not dipped any further - Is it normal for this to happen?
Cheers,
gpa
Old 24th May 2009, 04:41   #1575
BHPian

I am using Mobil fully synthetic 5W50 API-SM in my Swift Diesel now, but i ve heard that it is not the correct grade for diesel but for petrol. And Mobil Devac is the right grade. But when i go to Mobil distributor, he says Delvac is the older name and no more available, 5W50 is equivalent.

Can somebody throw some light on this?

Also if i want to switch to mineral oil from synthetic, is there any procedure to be followed other than flushing?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks