Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2009, 21:39   #1411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
generally oil change frequency for most modern indian cars is 10K , which one do you use .
I meant 5K miles or 8K Km. I use either Mobil1, Pennzoil Platinum or Amsoil - whatever is on sale Synthetic is typically 2x the price of regular crap so its not a big deal to go with synthetic especially since I do it myself on all the cars.

Mobil1 is 5.80 a quart and Pennzoil is $5.2 a quart. Due to a past shortage, Mobil1 is introducing a rebate of 10 bucks on a case - reducing the price to sale for $4 each on 6 quarts. I'm stocking up

I also highly recommend that all of you look into doing your own oil changes. If resale and service history is of concern, just keep your oil purchase receipts. A simple oil changes costs over $75 at the dealership and It only costs me ~$45 in parts.

Whats worse - the dealerships are often ignorant and end up screwing up especially if your car is one of the better ones.
Old 28th January 2009, 21:48   #1412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlblkz06 View Post
I meant 5K miles or 8K Km. I use either Mobil1, Pennzoil Platinum or Amsoil - whatever is on sale Synthetic is typically 2x the price of regular crap so its not a big deal to go with synthetic especially since I do it myself on all the cars.
You're lucky. Here are the India prices:

Mobil costs 800 ($16 a litre, or 1.05 quarts). Shell Helix Ultra weighs in at a hefty $20 a litre. By comparison good quality multigrade mineral or semi synth cost about $3.5 a litre. Amsoil isnt officially available in India. Penzzoil may or may not sell synth in India...not sure if they do.

Cheers!
Old 28th January 2009, 22:45   #1413
BHPian

Wow! With those prices I would say screw the manual and use regular oil!

I'd guess that Synth is maybe 10% better than conventional if ford to quantify. I pay 2x grudgingly - no way I'd pay 16 a quart!

I really don't meant to talk down - but for all "regular" cars, regular oil change intervals are more important than oil quality (since there isn't that much difference).

If you change your own oil , PLEASE make sure you dispose of the oil properly even if it costs money. Used oil is very nasty for the environment and easily recycled.
Old 28th January 2009, 22:56   #1414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! With those prices I would say screw the manual and use regular oil!

I'd guess that Synth is maybe 10% better than conventional if ford to quantify. I pay 2x grudgingly - no way I'd pay 16 a quart!

I really don't meant to talk down - but for all "regular" cars, regular oil change intervals are more important than oil quality (since there isn't that much difference).

If you change your own oil , PLEASE make sure you dispose of the oil properly even if it costs money. Used oil is very nasty for the environment and easily recycled.
You are right, regular cars need regular oils.

The price is the main reason why I advise my friends to stick to good old multigrade mineral and semi synth. Changing at regular intervals with good quality mineral oil is more important than using synth and then stretching the synth drain interval to justify the expense. People believe that synth goes for 20 to 30K kms i,.e. 12 to 18k miles which is why they think it makes good sense.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 28th January 2009 at 22:58. Reason: typo
Old 29th January 2009, 09:06   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Lasts longer?
This is an ex synth user talking. Cynically speaking, I woke up and smelt the coffee.
Did you switch back to mineral after using synthetic oil? How was your experience after switching back to mineral? I keep reading in the forum that its a strict No-No to switch back to mineral oil, because it may affect your engine. Please enlighten us.
Old 29th January 2009, 10:59   #1416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
Did you switch back to mineral after using synthetic oil? How was your experience after switching back to mineral? I keep reading in the forum that its a strict No-No to switch back to mineral oil, because it may affect your engine. Please enlighten us.
You can switch back without any problems. I switched from Castrol to Mobil 1 to Shell Ultra Helix to Castrol. Absolutely no problems till date. Now trying out Total semi-synthetic oil 20w-40.
Old 29th January 2009, 11:02   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Vikram is it ok to switch back from Sync to semi syncth oil? also anyone has used Total? keen to know how does it do when compared to magnetec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
You can switch back without any problems. I switched from Castrol to Mobil 1 to Shell Ultra Helix to Castrol. Absolutely no problems till date. Now trying out Total semi-synthetic oil 20w-40.
Old 29th January 2009, 11:09   #1418
Senior - BHPian

Lohith, it is perfectly safe to switch from synthetic to semi-synthetic. I am using Total as of now. Performance wise it is pretty similar to Castrol Magnatec. But on my turbo setup it runs a little cooler than Magnatec. Will review it after doing some long running with this oil.
Old 29th January 2009, 11:12   #1419
Senior - BHPian

There is no problem in changing back to mineral from fully synthetic. However, its not the best idea to keep changing brands, as you can't know what wierd soup is gonna get created in your engine by mixing different oils.

There are many good oils in the market. Castrol/Magnatec isn't the only one...
Old 29th January 2009, 11:16   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Raccoon, everytime I change brands I generally remove the oil sump and clean it out thoroughly. So there is no question of mixing brands.
Old 29th January 2009, 12:11   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Raccoon, everytime I change brands I generally remove the oil sump and clean it out thoroughly. So there is no question of mixing brands.
You remove the entire oil pan? Dude you're going way overboard. In the end it's just oil! The detergents may vary slightly but its really not a big deal.

change your oil religiously but dont get caught up on this. You'll get absolutely no added benefit by splitting hairs here, its not like tuning.
Old 29th January 2009, 14:26   #1422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You remove the entire oil pan? Dude you're going way overboard. In the end it's just oil! The detergents may vary slightly but its really not a big deal.

change your oil religiously but dont get caught up on this. You'll get absolutely no added benefit by splitting hairs here, its not like tuning.
I dont do this at every oil change. I only do it when I change brands which is not very often.
Old 29th January 2009, 15:54   #1423
Senior - BHPian

i think cleaning the sump is a good practice. all the sludge and deposits get settled in the sump. i have seen many opened sumps with lots of sludge and dark blackish red deposits.
once you clean it atleast you make sure that this grime doesnt mix with fresh oil
Old 29th January 2009, 16:22   #1424
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, if there is sludge, it means the oil isn't doing its job well (assuming you have been changing it as per schedule, etc).
Old 29th January 2009, 16:28   #1425
BANNED

or maybe the filter is bad. How about a magnetic sump bolt for the same purpose? After all the idea is to reduce engine wear and tear due to friction damage. One can go all the way and dismantle and reassemble the engine at every oil change. Of course you have the other option of using a flushing oil.

In the west at many 'instant oil change' places they put a pump into the dipstick hole, pump out the oil (about 0.5 to 1l is always left this way). Remove and replace the filter, and fill the crankcase. Even this works quite well. So let us not become obsessed with the degree of cleaning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks