Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2008, 16:38   #1276
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
But later when i found out the distributor for mobil i got the same stuff for almost 800 a liter. That makes a huge difference.
Hi srikant & vikram,

Thanks for your inputs guys.

@vikram: I suppose the price would have risen at Shell since the time you bought this oil

@srikant: Can you tell me the distributor from where you bought the Mobil 1 oil in Bangalore? Any contact number/address?

Thanks,

gpa
Old 2nd December 2008, 19:58   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Hi srikant & vikram,

Thanks for your inputs guys.

@vikram: I suppose the price would have risen at Shell since the time you bought this oil

@srikant: Can you tell me the distributor from where you bought the Mobil 1 oil in Bangalore? Any contact number/address?

Thanks,

gpa
Check Page 79 post # 1180 for the Distributor details.
Old 3rd December 2008, 19:55   #1278
Senior - BHPian

How much engine flush solvent should be used for flushing out a bike's engine with oil capacity of 1.2L
Old 3rd December 2008, 21:30   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
How much engine flush solvent should be used for flushing out a bike's engine with oil capacity of 1.2L
Nothing at all.
Just warm the engine up with the old engine oil before draining it. And shove the bike from side to side (for your satisfaction) before refilling fresh engine oil.
Old 3rd December 2008, 21:50   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Nothing at all.
Just warm the engine up with the old engine oil before draining it. And shove the bike from side to side (for your satisfaction) before refilling fresh engine oil.
thats what i do everytime
why no flush?
Old 17th December 2008, 10:19   #1281
BHPian

Finally changed to Delo Gold API-CH4. Paid 800 for 5 litres (old price). The car feels super smooth now, NVH has improved at all RPMs. Althought there is some vibration around 2500 RPM, it gets really smooth at 3000 RPMS and above.

Will Update later.
Old 17th December 2008, 17:40   #1282
Team-BHP Support

Urgent Query guys:

- Is it ok if I alternate between filling GTX Diesel and Mobil Super Delvac 1300 in my Swift VDI (both mineral oils) ?

This is happening because I change oil at every 5k kms. As I approach 35k, I want to try Castrol GTX Diesel and will get the oil and filter replaced by a local mechanic. However, at 40k when I take my car for regular servicing, assuming they refuse outside oil they will use Mobil.

Is it advisable to do this ?
Old 17th December 2008, 17:49   #1283
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Urgent Query guys:

- Is it ok if I alternate between filling GTX Diesel and Mobil Super Delvac 1300 in my Swift VDI (both mineral oils) ?

This is happening because I change oil at every 5k kms. As I approach 35k, I want to try Castrol GTX Diesel and will get the oil and filter replaced by a local mechanic. However, at 40k when I take my car for regular servicing, assuming they refuse outside oil they will use Mobil.

Is it advisable to do this ?
I dont see any harm in doing so as long as you chnage the oil filter and drain the old oil completely.
Old 17th December 2008, 17:58   #1284
BHPian

and flush the old oil completely. Take good flush to do that
Old 17th December 2008, 19:15   #1285
BHPian

Day before yesterday, changed the mineral oil to Motul Synergie 6100 which by the way is a trans-synthetic engine oil ( read semi synthetic), after engine flush and with change in oil filter. As of now, theres no noticable change in anything, maybe its too early to comment on this. Am taking my car for a long drive of around 500 odd kms, will report once am back and if theres any substantial change.
Old 19th December 2008, 16:35   #1286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I was not aware of not using the synthetic oil till 10K kms. On my recommendation, relative's Wagon R is running on Synthetic oil since it was 3.5K kms old.

Are there any chances of damage to engine ? I believe that till around 3-3.5K kms, the running in process is almost over and there there on no issues in using the synthetic oil.
Anyone responses to this? I have just completed 4K on the odo. Had an oil change (regular Elf mineral) around 500 km ago (6 month service). Any suggestions on switching to synthetic (Mobil 1)?
Old 19th December 2008, 16:59   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Synthetic engine oil offers far superior lubrication as compared to conventional mineral-based oil. Mineral engine oil is almost entirely natural while synthetic oil is the product of chemical preparation with carefully perfected formulae. Most brands of synthetic oil include performance-enhancing additives like polyalphaolefin (PAO), synthetic esters and alkylated aromatics. The molecules of synthetic oil are also more consistent in size and shape than those of natural oil. The master of automotive engineering - Porsche - was the first car manufacturer to factory-fill its engines with synthetic oil before delivery.

Team-BHP highly recommends synthetic oil as your engine lubricant. The most popular brand of this oil is Mobil1, which is known to offer outstanding protection under all operating conditions. Synthetic oil maintains consistent viscosity even in very high heat and, since most engine wear occurs at start-up, works to offer more lubrication at this crucial stage. The bottom line is that synthetic oil use leads to longer life, more efficiency and enhanced performance for your engine. Some tests have also indicated a marginal increase in power. My Honda City Vtec has covered 40,000 kms on Mobil 1, and the engine still feels like new. Despite frequent doses of enjoyable high-revving to the red line.

Here is the Team-BHP guide to using synthetic engine oil:

No synthetics during the running-in period: Wear and tear is actually good for a new engine. Synthetic oil, with its superior lubricating properties, hinders the running-in process and is best used only after 10,000 – 15,000 km.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
Anyone responses to this? I have just completed 4K on the odo. Had an oil change (regular Elf mineral) around 500 km ago (6 month service). Any suggestions on switching to synthetic (Mobil 1)?

This should answer your question.
Old 19th December 2008, 17:04   #1288
BHPian

Thanks adityamunshi. Switch to synthetic postponed till 10K :-)
Old 19th December 2008, 19:36   #1289
BHPian

Shell Helix Ultra - Bangalore

Phew! Switched to Shell Helix Ultra today after the 20K service. I got it for Rs.2850 (4L can) from the below outlet. While I was hunting for Shell Helix I also came across a number of Castrol outlets retailing Castrol Magnatec for Rs.950 (3.5L can), Rs.835(3L can) & Rs.145 (0.5L bot).

MANU AUTOMOBILES
NO.12, 3RD CROSS, JOUNALIST COLONY, J.C.ROAD, BANGALORE.
PH:26708818, 41243123, 41518233.

After buying I took the can to the Mandovi Motors at JP Nagar III Phase where they had already kept my Estilo serviced except for the engine oil change. I told them that I wanted to watch them change the oil, which they readily agreed.

But since the mechanic straightaway walked to my car with the new can and a new oil filter, I asked him whether he was not going to flush the engine first. He said if I want it he would do it. Upon saying yes, he disappeared and reappeared with a can of 'WYNNS MOTOR CLEANER'. He dumped it into the engine oil compartment and ran the engine for 30 mins and then emptied the engine oil & filled the new oil.
Old 19th December 2008, 21:37   #1290
BHPian

And look around for other brands before you go for Mobil1. Chevron, Valvoline are equally good at a much lower price. PM me when you want to buy, i have the names of the dealers in baroda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
Thanks adityamunshi. Switch to synthetic postponed till 10K :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks