Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2009, 20:04   #1396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Go for Mobil 1 Supersynth. Check the grades required for your engine. WE generally get 5W-50 which is suitable for both petrol and diesel. And do not believe hogwash about running synth for 20-30K kms. Follow mfrs recommended drain intervals. Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Thanks!
But i thought diesels use a different type of oil other than petrols. Though i read somewhere the grades were similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Mobil Delvac 1
@R2D2: Mobil 1 isn't API-CH4+ rated.
Thanks Bro! do you have an idea of the price and what grade i should be looking at?
Old 27th January 2009, 15:41   #1397
BHPian

Guys,

Has anybody used Synthetic Oil in Santro. IF yes, which grade 5W-??.
Also did you follow any process, before adding new Synthetic Oil from Mineral Oil ..(Eg. Engine Flushing or something).

Please do let me know.
Old 27th January 2009, 16:20   #1398
BHPian

@abhik- most petrol cars(if not all) run on 5w-50, diesels run on someother grade, not sure about the numbers though.Mobil1 costs around 4.5k, Shell costs around3.6k.The manufacturers recommend a drain every 10k kms.
Old 27th January 2009, 22:09   #1399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Mobil Delvac 1

@R2D2: Mobil 1 isn't API-CH4+ rated.
Taken from the Mobil Site, I quote:

"Mobil 1 5W-50 is recommended for all types of vehicles, suitable for use in high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and diesel multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, light vans and trucks.
Mobil 1 5W-50 meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:
5W-50API SM/SL/SJ/CFXACEA A3/B3XA3/B4X" End quote

It is CF rated.

Cheers!
Old 27th January 2009, 22:12   #1400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
@abhik- most petrol cars(if not all) run on 5w-50, diesels run on someother grade, not sure about the numbers though.Mobil1 costs around 4.5k, Shell costs around3.6k.The manufacturers recommend a drain every 10k kms.
Always follow mfrs recommended oil grades and change intervals. 5W-50 is NOT recommended by mfrs of most Indian cars. Unfortunately thats the only Mobil1 we get here. Shell Helix Ultra is 10W-40 which is more in line with most engine requirements (10W-40 or 15W-40)

Rgds,
Old 27th January 2009, 22:34   #1401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatinchoubal View Post
Guys,

Has anybody used Synthetic Oil in Santro. IF yes, which grade 5W-??.
Also did you follow any process, before adding new Synthetic Oil from Mineral Oil ..(Eg. Engine Flushing or something).

Please do let me know.
Gosh... you too Yatin?! Stay away from flushes and the like!

And yes, 5W50 dosen't sound like a good idea at all. Oil Cos are selling overpriced oil of wrong grades (for most Indian cars). Unless you get the right grade, I don't see why anybody would want to spend so much moolah!

Btw, I belive even Motul makes car oils. Might be worth checking out... since their bike oils seem to have quite a fan following.
Old 27th January 2009, 22:58   #1402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Gosh... you too Yatin?! Stay away from flushes and the like!

And yes, 5W50 dosen't sound like a good idea at all. Oil Cos are selling overpriced oil of wrong grades (for most Indian cars). Unless you get the right grade, I don't see why anybody would want to spend so much moolah!

Btw, I belive even Motul makes car oils. Might be worth checking out... since their bike oils seem to have quite a fan following.
With all due respect to TBHP members, IMHO most people want to use synth purely out of a 'me too' compulsion. I really dont understand why people would pay Rs 800/Litre for oil of the wrong grade. Mobil is taking us for a ride. Shell Helix Ultra seems to be better but at Rs 1000/litre (read here on TBHP) it is a no no for me. Economics & VFM drive most of my decisions now.

Rgds,
Old 28th January 2009, 09:10   #1403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
With all due respect to TBHP members, IMHO most people want to use synth purely out of a 'me too' compulsion. I really dont understand why people would pay Rs 800/Litre for oil of the wrong grade. Mobil is taking us for a ride. Shell Helix Ultra seems to be better but at Rs 1000/litre (read here on TBHP) it is a no no for me. Economics & VFM drive most of my decisions now.

Rgds,
I agree with R2D2. No point in spending huge cash on synthetic oil. it would make more economic sense if you maintain the engine well at regular intervals by flushing and decarbonisation. Right grade mineral oil is more than sufficient to handle day to day driving. synthetics make sense for racing cars.
Old 28th January 2009, 10:37   #1404
BANNED

@R2D2 and Diesel fan: I fully agrre. Synth is a craze. The number of people who may actually benefit from Synth's is minimal.

As for diesels anyone having an idea about Mobil 1's diesel rating. I suspect not that great. After all it is going to be low on detergent.
Old 28th January 2009, 12:06   #1405
BHPian

It's not a craze - it's called marketing genius

Yea I'm part of it too and I feel bad. I hate to be taken for a ride. However I do it because the manufacturer requires it and my warranty may be void without it. I change my oil at 5k intervals so I guess the added cost is minimal - thats how I convince myself lol.
Old 28th January 2009, 16:31   #1406
BHPian

Myth about Synth

Have read a lot of posts on this thread, GTO in his first one recommends Synth for all cars. I am a novice on cars and the tech that goes in, so I decided to check with someone who is an insider in the lube industry. A college mate has worked in Shell for 9 years (1997-2005). What he had to say about the synth and mineral oils is as follows - Mineral oils are good enough for all regular cars (except the Porches and Jags and likes). Synths are designed for extreme conditions which lesser mortals like me don't encounter. Synths are EXPENSIVE and the cost-benefit is not worth on a Zen or Swift or Scorpio or any other such car.

Yes, synths are better than mineral but not required by most of us. The only reason why people buy synth is STYLE ('cos they can afford).

Thats my two paisa worth!

By the way, I had almost decided to change to Synth in my Iceberg (Dzire Zdi), now I am stickcing to Mobil Delvac regular.
Old 28th January 2009, 16:45   #1407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlblkz06 View Post
It's not a craze - it's called marketing genius

Yea I'm part of it too and I feel bad. I hate to be taken for a ride. However I do it because the manufacturer requires it and my warranty may be void without it. I change my oil at 5k intervals so I guess the added cost is minimal - thats how I convince myself lol.
generally oil change frequency for most modern indian cars is 10K , which one do you use .
Old 28th January 2009, 16:48   #1408
BHPian

the real benefits in using synthetic oil is that they can last for a longer interval as compared to non/semi synthetic under all types of conditions and climatic changes .

For indian conditions I would rather prefer to change more frequently ensuring a fresher and in turn cleaner oil in my engine
Old 28th January 2009, 18:00   #1409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
the real benefits in using synthetic oil is that they can last for a longer interval as compared to non/semi synthetic under all types of conditions and climatic changes .

For indian conditions I would rather prefer to change more frequently ensuring a fresher and in turn cleaner oil in my engine
Indian conditions?! Exactly that's what my point is, we don't have extreme conditions, we don't have temperature shocks. Indian conditions in fact are more suitable for mineral oils.

By the way, moderator, where did my last post disappear? Abhijit has posted two replies to it but my post is not to be seen. May be I made some mistake. I was so excited as it was my first post on Team BHP after 6 months of reading.
Old 28th January 2009, 21:24   #1410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post

Lasts longer? Says who? Certainly not the mfrs of the car nor the oil mfr unless it is specifically labelled as extended or long drain oil.

This is an ex synth user talking. Cynically speaking, I woke up and smelt the coffee.

Synth is ok if your car mfr recommends only synth (for perf cars) or; you follow drain intervals, get the correct grade of synth and you are insensitive to the amount you spend on engine oil changes.

Sincere advice - Use it only if you must or if money is no object.

Rgds,

R2D2

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks