Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2012, 11:10   #3391
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

gaurav; The list for Mobil1 was Rs.4800 last year! This why I switched from Mobil to Idemitsu (Honda OE) which is over 1000 cheaper.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:06   #3392
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota India now recommends and uses 5W-30 API SM/CF mineral as OEM and service refill all its petrol and diesel vehicles. Previously they had separate oils even though they had the same viscosity ratings i.e. 15W-40. However, Toyota synthetic continues to be 5w-40 API SM/CF.

The shift to thinner oils is a trend noticed with all car manufacturers primarily I suppose for added fuel economy afforded by better engine tolerances.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:15   #3393
BANNED

@R2D2; I will be a bit reluctant to use the Petrol Oil in a diesel. In other words Toyota want CF or higher. If I can get CH or CI then why not! Check on the Mobil site they say clearly, that while oils can be interchanged within limits, avoid it as far as possible. This one size fits all mentality does not give me confidence.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:34   #3394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@R2D2; I will be a bit reluctant to use the Petrol Oil in a diesel. In other words Toyota want CF or higher. If I can get CH or CI then why not! Check on the Mobil site they say clearly, that while oils can be interchanged within limits, avoid it as far as possible. This one size fits all mentality does not give me confidence.
Agreed..but Toyota seems to believe that 5W-30 API SM/CF suits all their engines. I would have preferred two separate oils for each type and possibly different viscosity grades as diesels are put through heavier duty cycles (read taxi fleets with Innovas) than petrol engines. Additive quantities differ given the levels of carbon and soot generated in diesels.

I am still not sure if 5W-30 mineral is suited for a hot tropical country like India unless the car operates in the mountains of the north where it can get very cold during winters. If it were synthetic that would have given me more confidence. But then Toyota probably did its homework before recommending this grade.

On the surface this 'consolidation' of oil is probably to save money in terms of material and logistics. And yes, the oil is made by Savita Chemicals (also an OEM supplier to Honda) and branded Idemitsu.
Old 16th April 2012, 13:15   #3395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
gaurav; The list for Mobil1 was Rs.4800 last year! This why I switched from Mobil to Idemitsu (Honda OE) which is over 1000 cheaper.
Sir, I don't know the exact price but I checked Mobil 1 last October-November and it was around 2900 and that too from a shop that I dont regularly shop. The shell helix ultra we bought in march had a MRP of 4300 and it costed us 2400. The castrol edge too has a price tag of 3900 and costed me 2300. That's why I guessed that Mobil should be around 3k max. Will check next time I visit the shop.
Old 16th April 2012, 15:36   #3396
Senior - BHPian

I switched my Bolero to Castrol CRB Turbo at he last service change and found the oil to be superb. The engine runs quiter and smoother, I can feel it. It is safe enough for a 10,000 K change interval, not what Mahindra sells as Mahindra Maxmile which is an old fashioned engine oil to 3,000 to 5,000 KM max.

I plan to use this in my Scorpio and MM 550 as well.
Old 16th April 2012, 18:20   #3397
BANNED

Duplicated and hence I have deleted it. Must have been a s/w glitch.

Last edited by sgiitk : 16th April 2012 at 18:23.
Old 16th April 2012, 18:22   #3398
BANNED

@R2D2 and gaurav; CF is adequate so they are happy with one oil for all. You always have a right to insist on your own oil, as long as it meets or exceeds the specs. I got Honda to put in Mobil1. I jst made a note in the service slip, 'Provided 4L of Mobil1, fully synthetic, 0W40, API-SM'. I bought Mobil1 a year and a half back and 4800 was the sticker price. In the worst case skip the oil change, buy the filter and get it done outside.
Old 16th April 2012, 19:18   #3399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@R2D2 and gaurav; CF is adequate so they are happy with one oil for all. You always have a right to insist on your own oil, as long as it meets or exceeds the specs. I got Honda to put in Mobil1. I jst made a note in the service slip, 'Provided 4L of Mobil1, fully synthetic, 0W40, API-SM'. I bought Mobil1 a year and a half back and 4800 was the sticker price. In the worst case skip the oil change, buy the filter and get it done outside.
Precisely what I have been doing while my car was under warranty. I had them fill Shell Helix Ultra with the same viscosity grade and API rating as their OEM synthetic i.e. 5w-40 API SM/CF. I had them mark this down on the job card and the service sheet so in case of warranty claim they cannot turn it down as it is the exact same specs as their OEM synth.

Of course the car is now out of warranty so they will certainly oblige me as they have in the past. They mostly do not sell any parts over the counter.

That said, I do not have any intention to let anybody but the dealer maintain the car for me. My faith in Toyota's and the local dealer's after sales service has been vindicated many times over. In Oct '11 I gave the dealer a 10/10 (long story behind that, I am very particular about my car) in a confidential post-service customer satisfaction survey conducted by Toyota.
Old 16th April 2012, 20:51   #3400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Does this gentleman also sell Mobil1? If so, may I know what may be the price? I am asking because the best quote for Mobil1 (0W40), what I am getting in Calcutta is four thousand rupees for a 4 litre can. Is it reasonable enough?
I purchased Mobil1 0W40 for 2500/- from Singh Motors in Sector 16 market Noida last week.
Abeer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 02:02   #3401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure, I too asked the adviser to add a note that synthetic engine oil Castrol EDGE 4L is provided by customer. Of course, I didnt get into details of grade but then my car isnt in warranty, so there isnt much issue. I got 5W40 SN.

Also, I am not sure if ASC will provide oil filter over the counter.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 17th April 2012 at 02:03.
Old 17th April 2012, 09:31   #3402
BANNED

gaurav; Oil filters are also available in good spares dealers. I have seen Honda stocked by the person I am going to since 1979. He may be having others as well. He stocks Shell Ultra 5W40 since many of his customers buy from him. The manufacturers also out source these.
Old 17th April 2012, 10:21   #3403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You always have a right to insist on your own oil, as long as it meets or exceeds the specs.
Totally agree with this statement. At least the mHawk Scorpio user manual mentions that any oil meeting or exceeding the given specs can be used, and I don't see why other brands should be different in this respect.

My vehicle has undergone oil changes at 5k, 15k, 25k & 35k kms. I have used non-ASC supplied oil for all of these except the one at 5k kms. In fact, since the oil that I use was not available with the dealer when I took the vehicle for the 35k kms service, I bought just the oil filter from the ASC and had the oil changed at a garage near my house.

All this is allowed and will not void warranty. You just have to be firm and involve the manufacturers customer care, if need be. Also, as sgiitk has said, don't forget to get the service advisors endorsement in the service booklet that the oil change has been done at/before the recommended intervals.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 17th April 2012, 18:17   #3404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
I purchased Mobil1 0W40 for 2500/- from Singh Motors in Sector 16 market Noida last week.
2500/- for a 4L can of Mobil1 . Boy that is some deal. I got 4L can of Mobil1 0W40 for 3500/- here in Gurgaon. 2500 is just unheard of.
Old 17th April 2012, 18:33   #3405
BHPian

Quote:
I was offered Mobil1 for 3200 for 4 Litre Pack; when tried to source the same through the mechanic, was quoted 4400 for 4 Litre.

Shell Helix Ultra costs 750-800 per Litre in Mumbai depending upon where you buy it from.

OWS (going to try this during next oil change for OHC) and was quoted 3200 for 4 Litre Pack by Prakash Auto, Andheri.

Most Viewed