Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2015, 20:42   #286
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
No, To find any performance mods gains we usually drag with our friends car to find the difference instead of spending 3-4k for dynos.
Got the Cosworth CAI installed myself.An easy job.The performance is bang on.Power is right there at the disposal of the right pedal.Haven't got it dyno tested, but i can surely tell the difference.Much needed lower end power is there, sufficient enough to get ahead of the others at the red lights, in the heavy traffic
Basically didn't do the dyno testing because i thought spending on an exhaust will be smarter than on the test.
Old 31st May 2015, 02:31   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allien936 View Post
Got the Cosworth CAI installed myself.An easy job.The performance is bang on.Power is right there at the disposal of the right pedal.Haven't got it dyno tested, but i can surely tell the difference.Much needed lower end power is there, sufficient enough to get ahead of the others at the red lights, in the heavy traffic
Basically didn't do the dyno testing because i thought spending on an exhaust will be smarter than on the test.
On what vehicle did you make this mod ?
Old 2nd June 2015, 12:24   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
On what vehicle did you make this mod ?
i own a 2008 Skoda Fabia 1.4 Tdi..
allien936 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 02:49   #289
BHPian

Advice on upgrading a stock i20

Hey Folks...I have a stock i20 1.4 CRDi (2013), and am finally planning on some much needed modifications. Before getting into cosmetic changes or even wheels, etc. I was looking to bump up the performance a bit, so this post was extremely helpful!

The first thing I wanted to do is tune the engine up a bit. I'm thinking an ECU Piggyback is the way to go here. I did some reading a while back and found some very positive reviews on the DieselTRONIC by Race Dynamics. Any other suggestions or recommendations here?

Also considering switching out the stock air filter. Would this help with the performance?

Fairly new here, so I appreciate any help I can get
Old 9th June 2015, 03:23   #290
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice on upgrading a stock i20

There is a new person doing ECU remap in Bangalore, he is a franchisee of VIEZU and charges a nominal amount compared to other tuners and provides door service. My friend went to him for a solution to his lacklustre 2011 6 speed i20 CRDi and he is now happy with the remap. Check out my review on the below link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...hipping-5.html

www.viezu.com

Last edited by deehunk : 9th June 2015 at 03:24.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 06:07   #291
Senior - BHPian

Overall positive reviews for this outfit on tbhp. On sarjapur road.

http://www.tune-o-tronics.com/

My amaze has a naturally aspirated engine and they're still working on the ECU maps for it, so I've not gone there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
There is a new person doing ECU remap in Bangalore, he is a franchisee of VIEZU and charges a nominal amount compared to other tuners and provides door service. My friend went to him for a solution to his lacklustre 2011 6 speed i20 CRDi and he is now happy with the remap. Check out my review on the below link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...hipping-5.html

www.viezu.com
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 15:09   #292
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is a new person doing ECU remap in Bangalore, he is a franchisee of VIEZU and charges a nominal amount compared to other tuners and provides door service. My friend went to him for a solution to his lacklustre 2011 6 speed i20 CRDi and he is now happy with the remap.
Maybe it's just me, but if I let someone work on my engine / electronics, it better be a dude with experience, a good brand, proven track record, strong reputation & investment in the business.

I wouldn't let a new guy with no garage of his own touch my car. What are his credentials? Where has he worked before? How can he assure me that he'll still be in the business if things go wrong after a year? Can we see dyno reports to gauge the true gains? Other than the 'nominal amount' you speak of, I see no reason to pick the Viezu franchisee right now. Of course, my opinion will change if 20 BHPians recommend him, but until that happens, he's never going to get within a km of my car.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 16:45   #293
Senior - BHPian

The famous tuner in business told my friend that the turbo had blown out and he could not remap till it is fixed, there was never such an issue at all in the car, I have worked as a testing engineer on Diesel engines and turbocharger and can make out whether the guy is genuine or not. All these tuners work with background support of people in Europe.

Last edited by deehunk : 9th June 2015 at 16:59. Reason: typo
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 17:18   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
My amaze has a naturally aspirated engine and they're still working on the ECU maps for it, so I've not gone there yet.
Please beware of TDI Racing in Bangalore. Do you own a petrol Amaze? All small petrol cars except Zest, Polo and Bolt in India have naturally aspirated engines only.

Last edited by deehunk : 9th June 2015 at 17:20.
Old 9th June 2015, 18:04   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please beware of TDI Racing in Bangalore. Do you own a petrol Amaze? All small petrol cars except Zest, Polo and Bolt in India have naturally aspirated engines only.
Petrol engine, 1.2 iDTEC.

I don't plan to race the car at all - I just want some slightly smoother performance on the sort of potholed and traffic choked roads that BLR has to offer especially around the ORR / whitefield areas.

If that doesn't need a remap but something else, please suggest - I'm all ears. I'm a newbie to this entire remap business, and never overclocked my PCs either for that matter (been using computers rather longer than I've been using cars)

Note - I already fill Shell extra premium whenever I can find it and that helps to some extent.

Last edited by hserus : 9th June 2015 at 18:07.
Old 15th June 2015, 00:10   #296
BHPian

ANYONE - including you can remap a car. All you need is a new map, an OBD2 cable and a laptop. A lot of these guys are doing this - downloading a map online and overwriting your own ECU's settings. Some guys here in the UK are tweaking their own maps using laptops.

As GTO says check the reviews for anyone you take your car to, and avoid anyone without a garage etc. to do the work in. People have used "mobile" tuners here in the UK and been left with non working cars and the tuner driving off very quickly when they realise they just broke it.

I'm afraid I still do not believe any remapping of an NA engine will make any difference - it still won't allow the engine to breathe in more air magically or burn fuel more effectively - the laws of physics are against this. Plus the original manufacturer probably spent a million $s creating the default settings in the first place - why do you think some guy in a back street place can magically do better ? For every make and model of car ?

Turbos are different as a turbo can be turned up or down. There is a reason why the manufacturer might limit boost - economy, different fuel quality, temperatures etc. But they can be amended depending on local circumstances. Again though - please be careful who you use.

Some posters here have claimed differences with remaps or exhausts or CAIs but no hard and fast confirmation has been posted - no dyno graphs, no ABA testing, no measurement of reduced intake temps - nothing.

Nothing at all. So sorry it is nothing except supposition. And that is being polite - I don't believe you.
Morph is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 01:41   #297
Senior - BHPian

Totally agree with you Morph!, as I have experienced in Bangalore none of these tuners except RD and RRP have their own team and garage. They just have tie up with some nearby mechanic.

Last edited by deehunk : 17th June 2015 at 01:43.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 00:43   #298
BHPian

As I have tapped in earlier posts, I am very happy to be proved wrong. That is proved, not some mythical drag race or some seat of the pants "it feels better".

If you don't have a before - after - before graph then you have no proof.
Old 18th June 2015, 09:36   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Totally agree with you Morph!, as I have experienced in Bangalore none of these tuners except RD and RRP have their own team and garage. They just have tie up with some nearby mechanic.
Code6 has their own garage (Bay6) and their own mechanics and they do not operate on a franchisee model. They are in Bangalore as well.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 15:09   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Code6 tuning has their own garage, Bay6 Motorworks. There are many of us who have got our prized possessions tuned and serviced by them. Not many are as patient or willing to listen to the customer and create tailor-made maps, as these guys are.

You can read my experience here.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed