Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2018, 20:05   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
I would suggest you stick to oem air filters and replace as and when required or even earlier.
Why? Well i feel in my personal opinion and using various cars, oem filter works best for Indian conditions. In a few of my cars i have actually noticed drop in performance with so called performance filters.
Now i just buy a set and keep a spare at home, when its too dirty just replace.In a diesel a clean air filter really helps.
What I generally do is to change the air filter to a new paper one at the set interval and in between, once or even twice, get the air filter cleaned with compressed air.

The same with my AC cabin air filter.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 12:17   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
What I generally do is to change the air filter to a new paper one at the set interval and in between, once or even twice, get the air filter cleaned with compressed air.

The same with my AC cabin air filter.
That’s a good idea. I shall try that.
Old 16th September 2020, 10:46   #333

Hi Guys !

I hope everyone's doing well.

I came across a video on modded Verna diesel -

The car sounds awesome ! I have been thinking of giving my Elantra CRDi 2012 some performance upgrades and was planning on a dieseltronic tuning kit. But after hearing this car, I want this sound as well (well who doesnt ? :P ) .

Need your suggestions on the pros and cons of getting a custom exhaust. Currently I'm living in Jaipur, but willing to travel to Delhi if someone can recommend a decent mechanic. Thanks a lot !
Old 16th September 2020, 12:12   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenprakash View Post
Hi Guys !

I hope everyone's doing well.

I came across a video on modded Verna diesel -

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=KSjH...ature=emb_logo

The car sounds awesome ! I have been thinking of giving my Elantra CRDi 2012 some performance upgrades and was planning on a dieseltronic tuning kit. But after hearing this car, I want this sound as well (well who doesnt ? :P ) .

Need your suggestions on the pros and cons of getting a custom exhaust. Currently I'm living in Jaipur, but willing to travel to Delhi if someone can recommend a decent mechanic. Thanks a lot !

That looks like a dual exhaust muffler tip, maybe double walled. On a performance front, exhaust tips do not add any value. For some, they may sound good, draw attention etc. It's a poser tool.

Tuning kits do add a bit of performance due to them delivering a more linear acceleration curve right out of the gate. Having used one for several years I can say however they if you travel highways and sometimes get fuel from a pump of ill-repute then that added rail pressure may decrease the time between injector cleaning.

Speaking of injector cleaning, 2012 diesel car, when was the last time you got that done? Few simple things that can be done at your garage would include the following:

1. EGR Valve Cleaning - Check your service schedule, it was probably required at some point but service centers avoid it due to the actual work involved. Still, should be done.
2. Diesel Injector Cleaning - This is a pretty big job, but should be done on older diesels, especially in India. The nozzles get clogged for a variety of reasons.
3. Check your turbo.
4. Check your inter-cooler for any blocks.

The above are maintenance exercises that often bring back lost performance to a varying degree. Your mileage may vary.

Once those are done, consider a tuning kit if you still want more punch.
If that's still not enough, speak to a turbo installer and talk about maybe running a twin turbo setup. It's possible, a smaller turbo to deliver low range oomph and a larger turbo for higher range power. Costly affair though.

I do not recommend ECU remaps however as they lead to more problems than they solve. Tuning boxes just adjust a couple readings based on throttle inputs to often increase rail pressure through the injectors. This leads to what I mentioned earlier with regards to injector cleaning and the decreased time periods between said cleanings.

Another key performance upgrade is actually an interior downgrade if you will. Adding things to the car only increase its weight and weight is the enemy of performance. Leather seats, sound dampening in doors, major ice upgrades (I'm running 3 amplifiers with about 10 channels of sound) etc. all add weight and that kills performance. If you're carrying anything unnecessary, get rid of it.

What you saw in that video was not a custom exhaust but rather an exhaust tip. Diesel exhausts are by default generally fine. They do not benefit greatly through custom exhausts unlike their petrol counterparts. There are much better areas for you to spend your money as above before considering something exhaust. Also a custom exhaust is only relevant when air inflow has been changed. Otherwise the factory fitted exhaust is correctly configured to your engine's airflow requirements. Widening the exhaust without increasing airflow through the engine actually causes a drop in performance in most cases.

So if you're looking to get more performance through a custom exhaust, first make sure you're upgrading your overall airflow (within the limits you can handle) and then ascertain your exhaust diameter requirements based on your inflow.

FYI, those aftermarket filters don't do shit. Especially in India. You'll get more blocks due to bugs and dust than you'd get with a cotton/paper filter which you can tear out and install a fresh one every month if you want for just a couple hundred bucks. Though research has shown that air filters don't do much in terms of improving performance and all that marketing BS surrounding them is just that, BS.

When I talk about increasing airflow, it's through things like larger turbos, the addition of a supercharger etc. Stuff that actually increases positive pressure in the airflow CFM passing through the engine.

Hope some of that gives you some ideas.

Best of luck!
TheSleeper is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 12:57   #335

@TheSleeper thanks a lot for the detailed reply ! My car has done only about 50k kilometers, and im not facing any performance issues as such, kind of runs like its still new !

That said, I'd definitely love to see more Torque, more so when overtaking with 5 people inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSleeper View Post
I do not recommend ECU remaps however as they lead to more problems than they solve. Tuning boxes just adjust a couple readings based on throttle inputs to often increase rail pressure through the injectors. This leads to what I mentioned earlier with regards to injector cleaning and the decreased time periods between said cleanings.

FYI, those aftermarket filters don't do shit. Especially in India. You'll get more blocks due to bugs and dust than you'd get with a cotton/paper filter which you can tear out and install a fresh one every month if you want for just a couple hundred bucks. Though research has shown that air filters don't do much in terms of improving performance and all that marketing BS surrounding them is just that, BS.
Through my research here on Team-BHP and other places, I found that people are generally quite happy with the piggyback tuner from Dieseltronic, but I'd take into consideration what you are saying about the issues arising from its usage.

I was confused about the filters, and you post does bring a lot of clarity , thanks for that !

Any suggestions on how to get that sound in that video ?
Old 16th September 2020, 15:39   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenprakash View Post
@TheSleeper thanks a lot for the detailed reply ! My car has done only about 50k kilometers, and im not facing any performance issues as such, kind of runs like its still new !

That said, I'd definitely love to see more Torque, more so when overtaking with 5 people inside.

Through my research here on Team-BHP and other places, I found that people are generally quite happy with the piggyback tuner from Dieseltronic, but I'd take into consideration what you are saying about the issues arising from its usage.

I was confused about the filters, and you post does bring a lot of clarity , thanks for that !

Any suggestions on how to get that sound in that video ?
The sound in the video - exhaust tips, dual...maybe double walled.

As for piggyback tuners, the diesel injector clogging happens because of crap fuel. Don't think you're safe with Shell either. There's always sediment at the bottom of these bunk tanks. Servicing the injectors costs maybe 5 to 7k on average and I've done over 160k and had to do it once so it's not that bad.

Performance is responsive to throttle. By pressing the throttle you're often pumping more fuel in but the car can't burn it so it just blows it out the exhaust. Practice throttle control with diesels. Only press the throttle enough to get optimum response.

With five people in the car, don't expect that much more torque. You could drop the gear, hit higher RPMs but diesel cars torque curves flatline pretty quick. The only solution there is turbo upgrades. The tuner may help, but don't expect miracles.

You're welcome, I can't stand the BS marketing crap going on about aftermarket stuff these days. K&N filters etc, all that is BS. They got some dumb stuff out there that are mostly scams.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th September 2020 at 19:24. Reason: SMS language - coz
TheSleeper is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed