Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2010, 22:59   #226
BHPian

Cold and dense and hot and rarified

All those who are contemplating a free flow please get these concepts embedded in your mind.

For the intake we require cold and therefore dense air.
For the exhaust though we are looking to output hot and less dense air. When the air is made to expand like when exiting from the exhaust port into a bigger cross section like the header it becomes relatively colder and hence more dense. More dense means heavier and hence the engine has to work harder to expel the dense exhaust gas. This increases back pressure. The trick is to increase the header cross section without dramatically cooling down the exhaust gases. This is science which borders on black magic.
Please note that big bore exhaust systems may actually bring down power output. It may sound loud but the automobile may actually be a laggard.
Old 2nd September 2010, 10:17   #227
DNS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
All those who are contemplating a free flow please get these concepts embedded in your mind.

For the intake we require cold and therefore dense air.
For the exhaust though we are looking to output hot and less dense air. When the air is made to expand like when exiting from the exhaust port into a bigger cross section like the header it becomes relatively colder and hence more dense. More dense means heavier and hence the engine has to work harder to expel the dense exhaust gas. This increases back pressure. The trick is to increase the header cross section without dramatically cooling down the exhaust gases. This is science which borders on black magic.
Please note that big bore exhaust systems may actually bring down power output. It may sound loud but the automobile may actually be a laggard.
Finally after 15 pages it been said bluntly. Thanks. In that case, what more can 1 do? I do understand this is a reasonable stage to stop at though.
Old 2nd September 2010, 13:45   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS View Post
Finally after 15 pages it been said bluntly. Thanks. In that case, what more can 1 do? I do understand this is a reasonable stage to stop at though.

Nothing wrong has been said.. He [Dr. Pullocks..] has just explained the proper method of getting a FFE designed else one wont enjoy the benefits of the same.

Cheers
Old 6th September 2010, 16:04   #229

Thanks

Thanks Header and DNS...getting people who know what they're doing seems to be tougher than getting the parts. WIll update on the frum as and when I get these mods done.
Old 21st September 2010, 17:22   #230

FFE on Avigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Dalliance View Post
Thanks Header and DNS...getting people who know what they're doing seems to be tougher than getting the parts. WIll update on the frum as and when I get these mods done.
Well so much for that. Spoke to the Automech guy in Delhi and he told me that I can't put an FFE on a diesel engine??? What's that all about?
Old 6th November 2010, 12:12   #231
BHPian

Any diesel with an ecu controlled injection system can be modified using piggyback ecus such as the Unichip.

However, in upping the performance of diesels, one has to keep a close watch on the safety of the engine - you can easily make the engine too powerful for its own good and cause it to self destruct.

Tuning diesels has t obe done with great care.

Professional tuners use an array of tools and equipment to ensure that the engne stays within safe operating limits at all times.
Old 7th November 2010, 12:33   #232
BHPian

i am planing to RD my linea after 15k km, i heard its better than pete. Pete can make 90bhp to max 105 bhp, however RD says 25% increase that almost 110 BHP? any suggestions?
Old 20th November 2010, 22:37   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjoe View Post
Hi guys. I have a new Dzire LDi. It does not have a RPM gauge. Can I fit the one of the Ritz DDIS? If so, how? The instrument and cable cost just Rs 1050(OE). Please do advice
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Of course you can! Since you car is brand new, its best to have the same fitted at the authorised service station.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
You should not need any cable as the loom is already prepared for fitting the rpm gauge.

My friend plans to buy the Ritz LDI at Maruti's Chowgule dealer in Panjim-Goa. He was keen on installing a tachometer, similar to the one on the VDI/VXI, when he takes delivery of the vehicle. However, a sales executive explained that since the LDI does not come factory fitted with a tachometer, it would not be possible for them at the dealer workshop to install a tachometer on the LDI.

Now, what can be done to resolve this problem? Advice on this would be appreciated,.

Thanks,
Melvyn
Old 21st November 2010, 14:59   #234
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Melvyn, ask another, more competent, advisor (whether from sales or service). It's the simplest add on.
Old 21st November 2010, 19:16   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Melvyn, ask another, more competent, advisor (whether from sales or service). It's the simplest add on.
Infact GTO, that, is the biggest trouble!!
Old 21st November 2010, 20:05   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

@Headers & Melvyn : Pls do not go with what one person in the dealership says. Often, they dont know what they are talking about - giving some answer just to get you off and prevent further questions.

* Ask the service folks. May be the works manager.
* May be wait a couple of services to get to know the SA before you ask
* Go through a friend who knows his SA very well.
Old 21st November 2010, 23:56   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Infact GTO, that, is the biggest trouble!!
Getting a neutral, honest and expert opinion from any of them is not that easy. But thanks, I'll try various options to get that tacho fitted on the Ritz LDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Headers & Melvyn : Pls do not go with what one person in the dealership says. Often, they dont know what they are talking about - giving some answer just to get you off and prevent further questions.

* Ask the service folks. May be the works manager.
* May be wait a couple of services to get to know the SA before you ask
* Go through a friend who knows his SA very well.
Good idea, will check up with the works manager and will then revert to you guys for the "neutral, honest and expert opinion".

Thanks,
Melvyn
Old 18th December 2010, 14:52   #238
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Guys,

I have a 2005 TCIC 4*4 Safari, was wondering if I could do anything on that particular engine? I'm From Bombay

Thanks
Old 23rd December 2010, 13:49   #239
BANNED

Chippin Swift DDiS with Spider.

Its been 3 years now and still crawling my Swift in Bangalore traffic, no issue at all apart from poor low end, once crossing 2K RPM she goes very well and highway driving(very rare for me) is fun after 120 mark.
Gave a thought of why not gift her a chip for initial pickup and help myself in driving better in Bangalore roads.Done some googling and one chip came as the best available option as Spider, till now i use to hear a lot about Petes but compared to that this chip promises a lot and technical comparision says this one is better, need feedback if any one used this. Also whats the recommendation for air filter as Spider site dosent talks anything about filter part, Thanks.
Old 26th December 2010, 19:30   #240
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Looks like Swift is getting outdated or apart from Pets no one used any other chip.

Most Viewed