Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2007, 23:34   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
FYI Diesel engines dont have headers which can be changed

then BUSA is thr anything tat can be done in the engine department to get more power out of diesels,.....
Old 26th August 2007, 00:29   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
FYI Diesel engines dont have headers which can be changed
HEADER - A type of exhaust manifold made from formed tubing welded to a steel inlet flange and an outlet collector. less restrictive than a factory iron exhaust manifold and can be "tuned" to provide additional power through scavenging by optimizing tube length.

can find the above definition on this site Technical Information
check the diesel drag truck project photos on the following
2007 Chevy Class Turbo Headers Photo

just cause in India diesels are not modified for performance, that does not mean stuff like headers for diesels do not exist..... please let me know if I have given some wrong info.

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2007 at 16:04. Reason: Formating correctly and removing FONT tags
Old 28th September 2007, 19:52   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only difference between petrol and diesel engines is the fuel/ignition systems. The rest, including the intake, exhaust, and intake and exhaust valves is basically the same.

So all the different methods of getting more power still apply! More airflow equates to more horsepower, so adding a Turbocharger, or a supercharger, or Nitrous Injection all work just fine! Generally chip tuning works too on modern turbo diesels. The same result is produced by manually increasing the boost level, and subsequent fuelling. The only problem is the way the fuel is burned is slow so 5000 rpm is about it for a car diesel engine! All the tuning does is increase torque lower down the rev range. Consequently conventional tuning brings little gain on a diesel.
Never try adding extra diesel fuel via the air intake though! It will pre ignite during the compression cycle... You may run over your own crankshaft! If you need extra fuel because you have fitted a turbo, turned up the boost level, or fitted Nitrous Injection you must either fool the normal injection system into giving more fuel, or add Propane (because it will not ignite due to compression alone) in the intake system.
This works because Propane (or LPG, Methanol, or high octane petrol) have a high Octane Rating. Octane is a measure of the fuels ability to not ignite under compression alone! So the ignition point in a diesel still depends on the normal Diesel injection pump's timing. The extra Propane fuel is ignited by the diesel burning as it Self ignites upon injection via the injector. Diesel is very low Octane, so the heat of compression alone is enough for reliable ignition as it is injected.
Engine tuning for diesel cars - how to!

Quote:
hen BUSA is thr anything tat can be done in the engine department to get more power out of diesels,.....
Tuning Chips like Petes, Air filters can help.

Quote:
just cause in India diesels are not modified for performance, that does not mean stuff like headers for diesels do not exist.....
I am very well aware that diesels have headers but due to the complicatedness and high NVH of diesels they are not changed atleast in India people dont. There was a Indica with a tuner with a FFE and new headers, quite noisy i must add.
Old 16th October 2007, 18:47   #94
BHPian

Anyone has tried Pete's on Verna VGT. Please, share your experiences. Price and performance figures.
Old 16th October 2007, 19:36   #95
Team-BHP Support

all of you here who were interested in the petes box for the innova look here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...ir-filter.html
Old 19th October 2007, 15:48   #96
BHPian

What happened viewers and friends?. I am not getting any feedback on Pete's for Verna VGT. Is it the wrong place to expect some responses on it at this forum. . wondering. or Verna VGT is a wrong car for Pete's ( that is no need to try Pete's) as car may not take more power?
Old 15th December 2007, 00:54   #97

anyone using petes tuning box for fiesta 1.4 tdci? would like to get some reviews. Really disappointed with the performance .
Old 15th December 2007, 07:19   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Verna VGT is a wrong car for Pete's ( that is no need to try Pete's) as car may not take more power?
I think the car already has awesome power.

Before going for more power, please make sure the handling is also worked on, else it'll be inviting trouble.
Old 15th December 2007, 22:04   #99
Senior - BHPian

Verna can easily handle mre power and so can the Fiesta, I dont know why people are a bit scared to take the plung, but if i had a Verna, it would have been Peted, the day i bought it, so good is the product. You need to drive a Peted car to find the diffrence.
Old 15th December 2007, 22:09   #100
Team-BHP Support

people arent worried about the verna taking the extra power.. they are worried about the handling after gettin all that power since the handling is supposed to be quite bad even with the stock 110bhp.
Old 15th December 2007, 22:17   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
people arent worried about the verna taking the extra power.. they are worried about the handling after gettin all that power since the handling is supposed to be quite bad even with the stock 110bhp.
Getting better tires can sought out the handling issues to some extent. Otherwise Hyundai has a speed boat
Old 16th December 2007, 12:56   #102
BHPian

guys any info on availablity of box for optra magnum D
Old 17th December 2007, 01:06   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
guys any info on availablity of box for optra magnum D
Should be here anytime soon
Old 17th December 2007, 06:56   #104
rippergeo

a few questions for the diesel gurus and tuners(who have been neglecting us diesel heads-till pete came along)

have we started getting LPG fumigation for diesels in india? the process seemed relatively easier than TCing or using NOS. it also seems a lot more practical and can be done in older vehicles, or did I get the wrong idea?
so far, the most promising diesel seems to be a palio 1.9D which is Normally Aspirated, there seems to be a lot of potential, and the chassis could handle all the extra power.

any ideas on whether LPG fumigation is coming soon?

also, why cant our mahindras be tuned for a few more BHP say 10-20. I dont want to turn them into rockets, but a little more power is always useful. and the torque will be useful during rock hopping. what they also need is a taller final ratio that will let the engine relax on the highway, the NVH will also get better, which means you can travel further to look for offroad tracks

Old 17th December 2007, 10:50   #105
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
have we started getting LPG fumigation for diesels in india? the process seemed relatively easier than TCing or using NOS. it also seems a lot more practical and can be done in older vehicles, or did I get the wrong idea?
After all the good things I have heard on LPG fumigation from Psycho, I too was wondering how come it hasnt really caught on in India. Period. Its only going to take one tuner / suppliers initiative to make it popular; just look how Petes has popularised the powerbox.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks