Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2015, 08:53   #586
BHPian

Hi avinash
The only thing you need to be aware is that of the 5yr 1 yr is gone by and effectively only 48 months is left.

Secondly tyre stocked in improper conditions will lead the rubber losing its actual property to some extent.
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 17:20   #587
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Hi avinash
The only thing you need to be aware is that of the 5yr 1 yr is gone by and effectively only 48 months is left.

Secondly tyre stocked in improper conditions will lead the rubber losing its actual property to some extent.
Dieseldunk! Although I haven't checked that aspect I am not too worried as I'll be selling my car next year around Apr May time frame! Reason for buying the tyres now was the offer price felt too good to resist, and also because my old tyres were quite hard and almost bald.

Initial impression has been good, specially because it's lot more silent than the 185s I was running earlier. The steering feels a touch lighter; although I haven't tried any hard cornering to check the grip levels. Touchwood!

Cheers
Old 5th November 2015, 10:27   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Mods: I hope this is the right thread to post this query, kindly move if you feel otherwise.

Gurus, please advise!

Query: Just got delivery of a set of 4 Falken Sincera tyres which I ordered from Snapdeal. Upon checking for the 4 digit date code on each, found two to be of 2014 (Apr-Jun) time frame and rest of 2015.
All 4 seem okay visually but should I be worried about the 2014 ones and insist on an replacement?
Requesting thoughts from anyone who'd ordered online before? Do they agree for a replacement in case of old stock; if so, how to ensure the next lot is from 2015 batch only?

Thanks
Avinash,

Have you checked with Falken on the warranty applicability? I recently got a set of 4 new Michelin's for my Honda City. I was tempted to deal with online stores because of the price difference but then found this notice on Michelin India website and thus refrained to order from any dealer not mentioned on the list there:

http://media.michelinman.com/content...y-michelin.pdf

Falken might have a similar policy.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 12:09   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
.. then found this notice on Michelin India website and thus refrained to order from any dealer not mentioned on the list there:
I remember seeing similar notice (with dealers as well as Michelin site) when I got my XM2's about 6 months back.
However, recently there was a post in XM2 thread that the person has been able to register for warranty through its toll free number.
deepv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 13:34   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
I remember seeing similar notice (with dealers as well as Michelin site) when I got my XM2's about 6 months back.
However, recently there was a post in XM2 thread that the person has been able to register for warranty through its toll free number.
Agree with you about warranty registration but in case of a claim, a proof of purchase needs to be made. And the warranty terms clearly state that it will not be honoured if purchased from unauthorized dealers.

http://www.michelin.in/IN/en/why-mic...-warranty.html

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 14:27   #591
BHPian

Quote:
... the warranty terms clearly state that it will not be honoured if purchased from unauthorized dealers.
Oh, you are absolutely right - thanks for the pointer!
I had my doubts when I buying, hence went with an authorized dealer.
Was just wondering if things changed in between, and they haven't.
Old 5th November 2015, 15:45   #592

Know Your Tyre Better

Hi BHPians, Congrats on your new car purchase.
Well, disappointed with the stock wheels on your new car? Now you need not worry about that, Because you’ve numerous options to upgrade/upsize the stock tires. So let’s try to understand the basic concepts of tires. Normally tyres do have specifications as your car do. It’s not a rocket science that someone should teach you to know.

Ex: 175/65 R 14 H 91P

The above stated code is kind of example that we normally see on a tire. We need to understand the tyre specifications as below:
Width: 175 mm
Side wall: 65 % of width i.e., 65% of 175mm = 113.75 mm
R 14: Radial tire of dia 14 inch i.e., (14*25.4) = 355.6 mm
H indicates the speed profile of tire: Max 210 kmph
91P indicates the weight capacity: 630 kg

Well, now try to compute the above for 195/55 R16 H 91P?
Good, seems you’ve understood the basic concept.
Now crux of discussion is whether to upgrade/upsize or not?
This needs a basic math.

Let’s compute RR (Rotating Radius) of the tire. i.e., actual radius of tire is 175/65 R 14
Side wall + radius of rim = 113.75+177.8 = 291.55 mm
Circumference of tire = 2 * 3.14 * 291.55 = 1832.6 mm

Consider that you want to upsize to 205/55 R 16

Rotating radius is = 112.75+203.2= 315.95 mm
Circumference of tire = 2 * 3.14 * 315.95 = 1985.98 mm

Change in circumference = 1985.98-1832.6 = 153.38 mm

% change in circumference is 8.37, means:
If your speedometer is showing 70 kmph, you are actually travelling at 75.86 kmph
Similarly Odo will read 10837 kms for 10000kms, and thus mileage will drop by 8.37%.
That’s why dealers discourage to upsize stock tyres.

Tyre grade and Max Speeds

Q-160 kmph
S-180 kmph
T-190 kmph
U-200 kmph
H-210 kmph
V-240 kmph
W-270 kmph
Y-300 kmph

Last edited by ravivrt : 5th November 2015 at 16:12.
ravivrt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 00:07   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Avinash,

Have you checked with Falken on the warranty applicability? I recently got
Quote:
I remember seeing similar notice (with dealers as .
Quote:
Agree with you about warranty registration
Quote:
Oh, you are absolutely right - thanks for the pointer!
I had my doubts when I buying, hence went with an authorized dealer.
Was just wondering if things changed in between, and they haven't.
Thanks Guys for pointing this out; but I guess it's bit too late now! :-(
Regrettably, I've overlooked this important piece of info in my rush to get them; just found Falken India website also carries a similar message.

I guess the issue here is the supplier on Snapdeal who sold the tyres is not an authorized Falken dealer. For that matter, I guess any authorized tyre dealer is not allowed (by manufacturers) to sell online; so any online tyre purchase, even though much cheaper, will not be entertained in case of a warranty claim!

Trouble is the product page on Snapdeal also just mentions '5 year Brand Warranty'; will call them up tomorrow morning to understand what it really means?!
Old 6th November 2015, 10:48   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guys for pointing this out; but I guess it's bit too late now! :-(
Regrettably, I've overlooked this important piece of info in my rush to get them; just found Falken India website also carries a similar message.

I guess the issue here is the supplier on Snapdeal who sold the tyres is not an authorized Falken dealer. For that matter, I guess any authorized tyre dealer is not allowed (by manufacturers) to sell online; so any online tyre purchase, even though much cheaper, will not be entertained in case of a warranty claim!

Trouble is the product page on Snapdeal also just mentions '5 year Brand Warranty'; will call them up tomorrow morning to understand what it really means?!
Avinash, its not too late, you purchased from SnapDeal assuming that the warranty information they published is true. So, you get in call with them, get a confirmation and in the worst-case, request for cancellation of order if the company warranty is not applicable. I think the consumer redressal forum will be on your side if it ever goes that way.

--Kalyan
Old 6th November 2015, 11:21   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Avinash, its not too late, you purchased from SnapDeal assuming that the warranty information they published is true. ...
Avinash .. I second Kalyan on this, you might just want to drop some mails (if don't have time to call and generally more formal where we expect conflict).
This is something they should be clearly pointing out with product description.
Old 27th December 2015, 16:44   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post

My questions are:

1. My brother got the spare tyre (never used till date) on front right and new tyre bought now on the front left. So, two new tyres in front now but with different threads. Does it really matter if there is difference in tyre thread (same company).
2. Is the tyre shop guy right that the newest/freshest tyre should be on front left due to off road-ing this side has to undergo?

No matter what the new tires go in the back. AWD/FWD or anything put them in the back. Rear tires provide the much needed stability.
Old 27th December 2015, 21:21   #597
BANNED

Guys
Need an urgent help from you guys... I have been using Yokohama A Drives 195/65R14 which has run 64000kms in my 2010 Swift vdi. Now its time to change and I was looking for 15 inch or 16 inch ..
I am offered I20 Asta 16inch Diamond cut alloys with Apollo Alnac for 31000/-. What is your opinion guys? Shall I go with the purchase?
Regards
Dilip Kumar V
Old 27th December 2015, 22:12   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Guys
Need an urgent help from you guys... I have been using Yokohama A Drives 195/65R14 which has run 64000kms in my 2010 Swift vdi. Now its time to change and I was looking for 15 inch or 16 inch ..
I am offered I20 Asta 16inch Diamond cut alloys with Apollo Alnac for 31000/-. What is your opinion guys? Shall I go with the purchase?
Regards
Dilip Kumar V
That is a sweet deal for a set of 16"

Only worry is the offset, there is a 10mm offset difference.
Front wheels may touch the wheel well (inner side).

So, just put the wheels once in your car and try before buying.

Good luck.
Old 27th December 2015, 22:54   #599
BANNED

Thanks kp zen for your valuable advice. FYI. .the size of tyre is 195/55R16 which has run less than 1000kms. Will check with guys tomorrow. .
Regards
Old 28th December 2015, 07:44   #600
BHPian

I just upgraded my Punto 1.3 mjd to 195/70 R14. I know this tyre size is a bit too much and is Qualis's standard size but the tyre is performing well.
The ride is more softer due to high sidewall, which was the main reason behind the upgrade. There is still huge suspension travel available, thus I am good to go with even 3 passengers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks