Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2017, 17:47   #631
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

I need a new set of 195/65R15 tyres for my SX4 VXi (presently it has OEM tyres. Done 40K kms)

I am planning to buy and get them installed at Tyre Smart in HSR Layout ORR in Bangalore.

Questions:
- Any info on this shop? Good?
- I was planning to get Bridgestone tyres of rating 91H or 91V. Are these ok? Or would you recommend better tyres?
- Should I necessarily replace the spare tyre too?
- Does the shop buy back the old tyres? How much can I expect for them?
Old 8th April 2017, 20:19   #632
BHPian

I have upgraded tyres of my Verna @ 45k to Yoko db V550, 205/55/R16. At the time of change the stock tyres were good enough for another 5k atleast.Now my car has done 76k ie Yoko has done 31k now. The tyres look good for 5/6 k more. The wear have been uniform. The tyre noise has now increased considerably much more than the stock Bridgestone at same stage. The tyres served me very well so far but now the noise has become close to unbearable that too at speeds of 80/90 kmph only. 31 k is not much again. I expected at least 50k on Yoko.

I am a fan of silent tyres & initially Yoko db V550 were just fabulous. Next change will be of same size but not Yoko this time, just because of lesser life. Any suggestions please.
Thanks

Last edited by Chitta Pradhan : 8th April 2017 at 20:21.
Old 11th April 2017, 09:25   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I need a new set of 195/65R15 tyres for my SX4 VXi (presently it has OEM tyres. Done 40K kms)

I am planning to buy and get them installed at Tyre Smart in HSR Layout ORR in Bangalore.

Questions:
- Any info on this shop? Good?
- I was planning to get Bridgestone tyres of rating 91H or 91V. Are these ok? Or would you recommend better tyres?
- Should I necessarily replace the spare tyre too?
- Does the shop buy back the old tyres? How much can I expect for them?
- The shop is good. It is a unit of the Tyre Empire who are dealers of the Michelin tires. I hope you are talking about the Bridgestone dealer in front of Agara lake.
- 91H should be enough. You can decide the brand based on your preferences like performance and long life.
- It's a good practice to replace the spare as well.
- Yes, they do buy back old tyres but be prepared for a stupidly low rate that they offer.
NiXTriX2004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 12:40   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
- The shop is good. It is a unit of the Tyre Empire who are dealers of the Michelin tires. I hope you are talking about the Bridgestone dealer in front of Agara lake.
- 91H should be enough. You can decide the brand based on your preferences like performance and long life.
- It's a good practice to replace the spare as well.
- Yes, they do buy back old tyres but be prepared for a stupidly low rate that they offer.
Thanks, yes, thats the one.

I bought Yokohama Earth 1 (as recommended by them), four of them (not the spare).

They gave me about Rs 200 per tyre for the old tyres. Yup, ridiculously low!
Old 13th April 2017, 19:31   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
I have upgraded tyres of my Verna @ 45k to Yoko db V550, 205/55/R16. At the time of change the stock tyres were good enough for another 5k atleast.Now my car has done 76k ie Yoko has done 31k now. The tyres look good for 5/6 k more. The wear have been uniform. The tyre noise has now increased considerably much more than the stock Bridgestone at same stage. The tyres served me very well so far but now the noise has become close to unbearable that too at speeds of 80/90 kmph only. 31 k is not much again. I expected at least 50k on Yoko.

I am a fan of silent tyres & initially Yoko db V550 were just fabulous. Next change will be of same size but not Yoko this time, just because of lesser life. Any suggestions please.
Thanks
In 205/55/R16, not too many choices are available. However, my suggestion would be in below order of preference:

- Michelin Primacy 3 ST: The best of all the worlds, ticking all the parameters (comfort, road noise, wet and dry grip as well as the wear) but the cost.

- Bridgestone Turanza T001: The ultimate tyre from Bridgestone which you will admire for sure. However, they are expensive.

- Bridgestone B290: Not as silent as Turanza T001, but a well balanced tyre on every aspect. The best value for money proposition.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
Old 17th April 2017, 21:05   #636
BHPian

I am waiting for the delivery of Honda City V which comes with stock tyres of size 175/65/R15. What are the recommended replace options ? I see that many people upgrade to 195/60 R15 for this model of Honda city. Which are the options for this size ?
Old 17th April 2017, 21:35   #637
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
I am waiting for the delivery of Honda City V which comes with stock tyres of size 175/65/R15. What are the recommended replace options ? I see that many people upgrade to 195/60 R15 for this model of Honda city. Which are the options for this size ?
Best wishes for the new car.
Have a look at this thread, dedicated for Honda City tire upgrade
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...thread-21.html
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 14:36   #638
Senior - BHPian

One of my Yoko A drive suffered a side wall tear due to a curb hit. The tyres are about 39k kms run and the remaining 3 are in reasonably good shape and I think will last for another 10k atleast. What are my options at this stage? the spare is hardly used for 300kms, so I would like to retain it. The tyres are 4.5 years old.

1. Change just the damaged tyre with a new one
2. Change all the 4 tyres. If yes, then which ones should I go for? The current ones are 185.70 R14. I don't want to go back to Yoko and I don't want to spend too much either. Should I go back to the OE size of 165?
3. Change 3 tyres, use one of the existing tyres as spare and get the original spare to run with the new tyres.

experts, please let me know. This is for a 2013 Dzire, VDI.
Old 17th July 2017, 15:28   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
One of my Yoko A drive suffered a side wall tear due to a curb hit. The tyres are about 39k kms run and the remaining 3 are in reasonably good shape and I think will last for another 10k atleast. What are my options at this stage? the spare is hardly used for 300kms, so I would like to retain it. The tyres are 4.5 years old.

1. Change just the damaged tyre with a new one
2. Change all the 4 tyres. If yes, then which ones should I go for? The current ones are 185.70 R14. I don't want to go back to Yoko and I don't want to spend too much either. Should I go back to the OE size of 165?
3. Change 3 tyres, use one of the existing tyres as spare and get the original spare to run with the new tyres.

experts, please let me know. This is for a 2013 Dzire, VDI.
At 39k, and 4.5 years, it is a good time to change the tyres. Even if it had run less, it is recommended to change tyres after 4 years, due to hardening, chemical changes etc.

The power of Swift Dzire does not badly warrant an upsize, so 165 is also fine. But you can get 185 also if you feel it was better than 165 from your past experience. In either sizes, you can checkout comfort tyres such as Goodyear DP-B1, Bridgestone Turzanza and Michellin Energy XM2.
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 23:05   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
Please check here for the right upgrade:
http://tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm

For 175/65 R15, I also went in for 195/60 R15.

Options depends on your usage pattern and likes/ dislikes. When I was upgrading stock tyres on my City back in 2015, my wish-list included (nearly) noise-less tyres, smooth ride, grip and safety. In that order and I found Michelin Primacy 3 STs a great fit. Never regretted that upgrade for the next two years until the car was in my possession. However, be warned that Primacy 3STs are supposedly made of softer compound as compared to similar tyres from other brands and hence in case of extreme rough usage, there are chances of tyre blasts, etc.

--Kalyan
Old 25th July 2017, 23:05   #641
BHPian

Hi, I have a query regarding replacement of tyres. I am currently running 195/55 R15 on my Fiesta. Now I am looking for Primacy 3STs or XM2. I believe they come in 195/60.
2 of the 4 current tyres have developed bulges.
Now my problem is, due to monthly budget constraints, I can't change all 4 tyres right now. So would it be fine to change both the front tyres to 195/60, while the rear ones are 195/55, and then change the rear ones after a week? How much effect would this have on the wear of the new tyres and also any dynamics issues?
Old 24th September 2017, 00:07   #642
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anyone suggest an alternate size for my Tucson? I'm currently running 235 60 16 ones. However, these are tricky ones to find, and I've just seen one of them gone to the wire. I want to replace all four. If I can't find the above size, what would be a mainstream size to go for??? Slightly urgent, since I plan to do this tomorrow.
Old 5th October 2017, 00:36   #643
BHPian

The stock Goodyear tyres in my Honda amaze have reached their end after 41000km. My usage is typically around 5000km/year. I would like to go for a medium compound tyre that is quite resistant to potholes that appear out of nowhere. Can you guys recommend a tyre for me in 185/65 R14? I've read about the XM2s but not sure if it fits my usage and requirements. Appreciate the help.
Old 5th October 2017, 01:49   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
The stock Goodyear tyres in my Honda amaze have reached their end after 41000km. My usage is typically around 5000km/year. I would like to go for a medium compound tyre that is quite resistant to potholes that appear out of nowhere. Can you guys recommend a tyre for me in 185/65 R14? I've read about the XM2s but not sure if it fits my usage and requirements. Appreciate the help.
I have Yokohama Earth 1 tires of the same size on my Figo. Have run about 8000 kms. They are quite durable and handle rough roads pretty well. Have hit a few potholes at speeds of 70-80 kmph. No side wall cracks, chipping or signs of wear whatsoever.

You can find further details here
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 03:40   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
I have Yokohama Earth 1 tires of the same size on my Figo. Have run about 8000 kms. They are quite durable and handle rough roads pretty well. Have hit a few potholes at speeds of 70-80 kmph. No side wall cracks, chipping or signs of wear whatsoever.

You can find further details here
Thanks a lot for the quick suggestion, after going through the thread you mentioned sounds like the right tyre for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks