Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2015, 09:51   #601
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Thanks kp zen for your valuable advice. FYI. .the size of tyre is 195/55R16 which has run less than 1000kms. Will check with guys tomorrow. .
Regards
Dilip,
Tire size 195/55-16 is not an issue for Swift.
Offset of i20 alloys is more than Swift wheel specs. Hence, there are chances of front tires touching wheel well on full lock. So advised to check before buying.
Old 11th January 2016, 17:59   #602
BANNED

Hi BHPians,

My apologies for asking this silly question.

One of my car rear Tyre was brutally stabbed multiple times on the side wall, to be precise 7 in counts and the valve was cut. I feel may be some drunkard got over happy in the new year.

Being tubeless, 7 holes on sidewall means throwing away the Tyre.

My question is, while I have to buy a single tyre, should I buy the existing brand MRF or I can mix and match . I intend to put that on the rear wheel and one of the more wear out rear wheel as step-pin.

Currently my other tyres have some good thread on them, they are exactly 5 year old and only 25K run. But I think I need to replace them in a year or two. So if I buy the MRF for the damaged wheel, I would have to buy again MRF when I have to change all the others.

I am not unhappy with MRF brand, only thing is that they are hard compound and tyre noise are quiet high. As my running is low, soft compound tyre would suit me.
Old 11th January 2016, 19:43   #603
BHPian

Hi, had a tyre burst on the highway between Bangalore and Hyderabad, and the tyre was in such a bad shape, I had to change it. While three of the tyres are from one brand and company, having run about 15000 kms, the replaced one is a different brand from another company. Though the brand and company of one tyre is different, have not changed the tyre dimensions. Have not faced any problem. This is my personal experience. But let the experts have their views.
Krishnan V G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 11:08   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Hi BHPians,

My apologies for asking this silly question.

I am not unhappy with MRF brand, only thing is that they are hard compound and tyre noise are quiet high. As my running is low, soft compound tyre would suit me.
You can mix and match the brand of tyres . If you have a spare tyre in good condition , use that as a main tyre. Buy a new tyre and keep it as spare. Next time you change the tyres , you can exlcude the spare tyre and replace only 4 main tyres.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 11:11   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

I upsized my Tucson's tyres to Nankang 235/60/R16. One of the tyres is finished owing to sidewall hole in an accident.
The problems are that, one-the spare is an old geolander(?), and is the stock 215 spec.
Two, its almost impossible to source the nankang from dealers in delhi.
Can someone let me know, if I go for a different set, same specs(235/60/16), and put two on the rear or front, will it be really problematic? Changing all is not an option, because the rest are all more or less new, and for cost reasons.
Or if someone can help me source a nankang
Old 19th January 2016, 13:50   #606
BHPian

Guys, need some urgent advice for a friend.

He has a 2009 Swift VDi and is looking to replace the tyres as they are done with their useful life. His priority being comfort he is inclined to stick to the 165/80 R14 size. He has an offer for the Yoko Earth1 in that size @ Rs. 3100 per tyre. His budget is a bit tight but if he can get better at up to Rs. 3500/ tyre, he'll go for it.

Any suggestion for a better set than the Yoko Earth1?
Old 29th January 2016, 15:40   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I upsized my Tucson's tyres to Nankang 235/60/R16.
Can you share the price of these tyres and from where you bought them. Also can you post a photo of the same.
Old 29th January 2016, 15:51   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Can you share the price of these tyres and from where you bought them. Also can you post a photo of the same.
This one:
ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-balancer1.jpg

I managed to find one, quite easily in fact, in delhi. total cost was 5500 for the tyre, fitting, balancing all. When I bought the whole set last year, they cost me about 6500 each.
Refere this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...ml#post3892886
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 23:56   #609
BHPian

Dear Bhpians i shall be getting my elite i20 sports soon, need help on upgrading its tyres. For the sie 205/55/r16 I am confused between:

1. Goodyear triplemax assurance around 6500/piece
2. Michelin ( 3ST Primacy & XM2) around 7500-7800INR
3. Yokohama A drive- 7000 INR
4. Bridgestones ( B290 or Turanza)- 7500 INR

My basic concerns are ride comfort, a good tread life , good handling and good braking. Have been to many tyre sellers and all have different notions, pushing the tyre they have. My drive shall be around 1500 kms a month mostly in city & occasional highway trips.

Pls. let me know if michelins are too soft for indian conditions?

Also, if i should go for a 17 inch alloy with 215/50/17 will that be an overkill and effect my suspension. Request for response from all of you out there since i shall upgrade the wheels and tyres on day of delivery itself.
Old 3rd February 2016, 14:53   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
Dear Bhpians i shall be getting my elite i20 sports soon, need help on upgrading its tyres. For the sie 205/55/r16 I am confused between:
How are you getting such low rates for Michelins ??

Guys I need to change two of my tires. I am getting a quote for Michelin 3ST for 9200 whereas 7K something for Pirelli's. I know Michelin is the best but does it warrant extra 2k per tyre ? Really confused here.

Tyre Size - 205/55 R16
Old 4th February 2016, 18:07   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
How are you getting such low rates for Michelins ??

Guys I need to change two of my tires. I am getting a quote for Michelin 3ST for 9200 whereas 7K something for Pirelli's. I know Michelin is the best but does it warrant extra 2k per tyre ? Really confused here.

Tyre Size - 205/55 R16
The prices were quoted by a authorised dealer in my area . He quotes 8000 for michelin and little negotiation shall make it around 7600 or 7800. I checked the pirelli too and found them too soft to my liking and guess they may be too soft for indian roads. Do check out both the tyres in person before zeroing in. Both the tyres are top notch though I am little inclined towards michelin owing to good reviews of them on the Web and by vendors.
Old 30th March 2016, 18:10   #612
BHPian

Re: Know Your Tyre Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravivrt View Post

Change in circumference = 1985.98-1832.6 = 153.38 mm

% change in circumference is 8.37, means:
If your speedometer is showing 70 kmph, you are actually travelling at 75.86 kmph
Similarly Odo will read 10837 kms for 10000kms, and thus mileage will drop by 8.37%.
Isn't it the other way round, i.e., if odometer reads 10000 kms, you have actually travelled 10837 kms due to the increased circumference? and the actual FE will be 8.37% higher than what is calculated from odometer reading? or did you mean the same thing?

Last edited by JonSnow : 30th March 2016 at 18:18.
Old 31st May 2016, 19:52   #613
BHPian

Awesome thread. I am planning to change tires and i could not have stumbled on a better article at a better time. Thank you.
Old 8th June 2016, 11:10   #614
Deo
BHPian

I have Bridgestone Potenza GIII on my swift petrol, with aftermarket alloys. These tyres have done about 40,000 kms and I am thinking of changing the tyres in next couple of thousand of kms. I have really loved driving with these tyres, they offer phenomenal grip and make the swift immensely fun to drive. But the noise is horrible (specially on cement roads) and combine that with rattles in 7 years old swift, it is extremely uncomfortable.
Need suggestions on replacement for these tyres, which will offer me same / similar performance but need to be super silent.

Thanks,
Darshan
Old 8th June 2016, 18:27   #615
BHPian

I have just changed the tires of my EcoSport and up sized it. The overall size difference is 2.3%, but as I have installed Yokohama AT tires which are heavier the acceleration has reduced and FE has dropped marginally.

I went to a long trip this weekend to Sikkim and there seems to be a major issue now. Right after crossing 100 kmph the steering is becoming loose and starts jerking. This didn't happen before and I have driven fast enough to comment. While installing new sets of tire I have aligned the wheels at the tire store. What can be the problem ? I guess this is related to the tires ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks