Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2015, 14:15   #556
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunbagga7 View Post
Hi everyone,

Its time for me to change the tyres on my sx4 (205/60 R16).

Which tyres should I put on my car. I prefer not to upsize or downsize. Please mention the tyre model, price and the reason in favour/ against it.
SX4 Zxi(in your case with R16) has sufficiently beefy tires from the company itself.
You better stick with the same specifications esp since you are not into bling or some racing.
We recently changed tires on our SX4 Zxi from JK to Goodyear Assurance.
Goodyear Assurance are good tires, decently priced at Rs.5200 a piece(price on Paytm.com) and holds 5 yrs warranty against manufacturing defects and side cuts etc. Go for goodyears eyes closed.
Please do not go for JKs, my experience with 2 sets of Jks has been very bad with frequent bulge development on the tire.

Regards

Last edited by Grr7 : 18th June 2015 at 14:17.
Old 20th June 2015, 16:28   #557
BHPian

Hi folks,

I have to change tyres for my Fabia used for around 32K, the OE tyres are 185/60R14 82T (Apollo Acelere).
I am inclined to go with the same size, but looking to change to a Michelin or a Yokohama
(suggestions are to go with Michelin XM2, though it is a bit on higher side).

Came across this thread while looking for information, would like to get some insights on either (or possibly other options).
My usage has been on lower side (for 5+ years), but would like to go with more robust option.
Let your suggestions flow.
Old 21st June 2015, 10:12   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Hi folks,

I have to change tyres for my Fabia used for around 32K, the OE tyres are 185/60R14 82T (Apollo Acelere).
I am inclined to go with the same size, but looking to change to a Michelin or a Yokohama
(suggestions are to go with Michelin XM2, though it is a bit on higher side).

Came across this thread while looking for information, would like to get some insights on either (or possibly other options).
My usage has been on lower side (for 5+ years), but would like to go with more robust option.
Let your suggestions flow.
I got Yokohama Earth 1 last month. Previously used MRFs which provided lots of horrifying entertainment on the highways with frequent wheel locks . The Yokohama Earth 1s are much better tyres when it comes to braking or handling. However, being made of softer compounds, they are not as puncture resistant as my old MRFs which lasted 44000 kms on just 2 punctures. In fact I could have easily used the MRFs for 50000 kms plus but I got bored and wanted to try something new and got the Earth 1s. My first puncture on the Earth 1 happened 3 weeks after purchase :(

Still, I believe the Yokohamas are the right balance of comfort, grip and ruggedness. Michelins would be a little bit costlier and maybe slightly more comfortable.
Old 22nd June 2015, 00:37   #559

it's time to change tires for my OHC 1.5

the stock size is 175/70r13. i'd like to keep the same steel rims and upsize to 185/65r13 which is available in Apollo Acelere.

what is the width of stock wheel ? will this size fit on my stock rim? will it fit the car without rubbing ?

Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 12:09   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktop View Post
I got Yokohama Earth 1 last month. ... 44000 kms on just 2 punctures.
Still, I believe the Yokohamas are the right balance of comfort, grip and ruggedness. Michelins would be a little bit costlier and maybe slightly more comfortable.
Thanks for your feedback .. Blacktop!!
44K per se is good run-time, better be on safer side than trying to stretch!

Mine could go in city for possibly another couple of thousands, but with rains and travel season around it looks prudent to change.
Checked on Yokohama as well and they seem lower in cost by 10-15%, still deliberating.
Old 30th June 2015, 22:12   #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
Goodyear Assurance are good tires, decently priced at Rs.5200 a piece(price on Paytm.com) and holds 5 yrs warranty against manufacturing defects and side cuts etc. Go for goodyears eyes closed.
Please do not go for JKs, my experience with 2 sets of Jks has been very bad with frequent bulge development on the tire.

Regards
Even I don't want a JK Tyre. My fifth tyre from jk has developed a sidewall bulge.

Also, regarding ordering tyres from online platforms like paytm, how is the fitment of tyres done? Do the paytm people have any contract with mechanics/shops for getting the tyres fixed on our wheels or do we have to get them fitted ourselves?
Old 2nd July 2015, 18:15   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
... holds 5 yrs warranty against manufacturing defects and side cuts etc.
Regards
Are they providing warranty on online purchase?
Have been checking for Michelin and apparently they don't provide warranty for online purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunbagga7 View Post
Also, regarding ordering tyres from online platforms like paytm, how is the fitment of tyres done?
For most cities that's an additional burden buyer have to bear, for some they provide the support.
Old 2nd July 2015, 23:53   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Are they providing warranty on online purchase?
Have been checking for Michelin and apparently they don't provide warranty for online purchases.
I have not confirmed from the Company, but the dealer certainly promised to honor the warranty.
Besides, most dealers/company don't ask for bill/invoice. The warranty on tires are usually based on the manufacturing date stamped on the tires. For example the tires shod on the new car doesn't come with any bill/warranty card and are still honored by the respective tire companies for warranty claim.

The point is if you approach 'Michelin' confidently of a tire warranty (even for an online purchase), they won't be asking for bill. There are so many people who buy Michelin tires from non-authorized dealers who may shut their shops anytime, but I am sure they must be entitled for warranty. So, IMO online-offline scare is more of a gimmick.
Old 13th July 2015, 14:14   #564
BHPian

I recently changed all 4 tires of my Liva GD and I upsized from 175/65/14 to 185/65/14, and I am happy with the change.

What worries me is that my spare is one of the older tires with the size 175/65/14. Can I use this spare tire at all? Considering it has a slightly larger circumference, won't using this will make the car unstable and affect its suspension as well?

Should I go get a new tire of 185/65/14 for the spare?

I am not so worried about city driving, since one can easily repair the puncture. But on highway drives, if there is a major cut or something, I might have to use the spare.

Please guide me on this dilemma.
Old 14th July 2015, 07:54   #565
BHPian

Prudent practice is you should since the driving torque and steering pressure angles will significantly impact the quality of drive and cause uneven wear out.
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 12:12   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktop View Post
Quote:
Checked on Yokohama as well and they seem lower in cost by 10-15%, still deliberating.
Eventually went with Michelin Energy XM2's a couple of weeks back.
Have done around 500kms and overall driving looks much more smooth with markedly less noise.
In case of Yokohama, suggestions were to go with S-Drive or C-Drive rather, which were just 1.5K lower w.r.t. XM2s.
Old 15th July 2015, 13:05   #567
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting: What happens when you mount a directional tyre the wrong way?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post3753144
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 16:18   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

I am running 235/60/R16 on my tucson. I want to go for the "more rubber, less wheel" profile, if possible. Should give me a more comfortable ride.
Comfort is of prime importance in this car.
I wanted to ask you folks, if I put on 15" rims, what is the maximum sidewall I can go for?
Specs, if possible.
Old 20th July 2015, 00:08   #569
BHPian

Switching over to 15" wheels on a Tucson might not be such a great idea I think ,it would be great if you have absolutely no intention of doing serious speeds but the car would feel wallowy with serious amounts of body roll on a car with such a high ground clearance and high center of gravity,an ever higher profile than the current 60 profiles that you have on the 16" wheels .

255/60R15s are the only option to go for if you still want to do it, have seen this in many Innovas as completely wrong up-size but felt like being on a cloud when I drove one last day !
Old 20th July 2015, 10:17   #570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Switching over to 15" wheels on a Tucson might not be such a great idea I think ,it would be great if you have absolutely no intention of doing serious speeds but the car would feel wallowy with serious amounts of body roll on a car with such a high ground clearance and high center of gravity,an ever higher profile than the current 60 profiles that you have on the 16" wheels .

255/60R15s are the only option to go for if you still want to do it, have seen this in many Innovas as completely wrong up-size but felt like being on a cloud when I drove one last day !
Oh?
Why would it be wallowy, because of flex in the additional sidewall?
I thought that owing to the downsize of the wheels from 16 to 15, I 'd be able to put in a higher profile tyre, keeping the width more or less the same, to avoid rubbing the inside of the arch.

And this current size, 235/60/16, its the stock size for tucsons elsewhere, only here we had 215(?).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks