Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2012, 23:08   #421
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Thanks for your input. But my problem is that it's hard to find 205/55/R15 set. Most of them are 16" while others have 205/50/R15. Best bet is to continue with S Drives but with 205/55/R15

Any other brands with 205/55/R15? Comfort and less road noise. Less performance wouldnt be a problem. My wifey is finding the current configuration too harsh for our road conditions.
Ohhh I din know that. I can only think of S-Drives then, it doesn't leave you with many options.

If you're willing for 205/60/15 you also have Yokohama A-Drives, Yokohama ES100, Michelin PLC. No idea on ES100 but A-Drives would perfectly fit your requirement.205/65/15 would also be available in Michelin PLC, XM2 and XM1+.

Don't wanna put in a low profile ? If you're willing, you could go for 195/65/15 which would give you whole lot of options - Michelin PLC, Bridgestone MY01, XM2 and XM1+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
How good is Pirelly tyres Looking for 195/60/R15
I have ridden a colleagues Laura for a long distance trip which has Pirelli tyres, they were awesome. But I won't comment more on it because I haven't used them extensively. Check for the prices, I think they're quite costly.
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 15:42   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
S Drives are mostly performance tires. Is there any other option which is more comfortable? Also, road noise tends to increase as the tyre age. Nowadays, it very evident.
An ultra wide tire increases the risk of aquaplaning in a car. Have you thought about 195/60R15 C.Drives. They are pretty good, even better than S.Drives in wet grip.

Check out the Yoko tire positioning at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...0-hyd-expo.jpg
Old 15th October 2012, 23:53   #423
BHPian

Quote:
S Drives are mostly performance tires. Is there any other option which is more comfortable? Also, road noise tends to increase as the tyre age. Nowadays, it very evident.
I use 195/55/ R15 Bridgestone Potenza GIIIs on my OHC and things have been so far so good.. I've run through a full set, and am on my second set now.
Old 7th November 2012, 17:39   #424
BHPian

Hello team - I am currently in the market to replace the tyres in my Octavia RS - The standard spec size is 205/55/16. I would like the teams thoughts on recommendations for a brand. I was considering changing them to Michellin PLC, but based on a recent feedback from colleague on side wall damages, i wanted to get a second opinion from experts. My goal is not to upsize, i could use recommendations on the brand.

Thanks for your time.

Best - ML.
Old 26th November 2012, 17:14   #425

Hi bhpians - i am getting delivery of Ssangyong Rexton next week and feel the tyres are too slim for car of this size as the standard tyre size is 235/75/16. Which size should i upgrade to? i can even up the size of rim by one size i.e from 16 to 17. i really dont want to go for outrageous sizes and 100% driving is on road and city/highway combined.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:43   #426

Dear Friends,
I am sorry if this is a re-post. or out of topic

I have a Logan DLE 2007 Model and my tyres do not last more than 25,000 km. I take all the care of my tyres but the middle band disappears Please help.
Old 13th December 2012, 12:43   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanu_reeves View Post
Dear Friends,
I am sorry if this is a re-post. or out of topic

I have a Logan DLE 2007 Model and my tyres do not last more than 25,000 km. I take all the care of my tyres but the middle band disappears Please help.
If it's the middle band that is wearing out it means you are over inflating your tyre. Check with the owners manual and maintain recommend pressure. In case that's what you have been doing, drop pressure by about 5 psi and check.
Old 13th December 2012, 20:50   #428
BHPian

Since I have been given a choice,which tyre amongst these three should I go for my brand new Ertiga ZDi with alloys ? The tyres are in size 195/60 R15 , although stock size is 185/65 R 15 .
The tyres in question are - Pirelli P6, Michelin Primacy LC and Yokohama C Drives. The Pirellis are Rs 5900 a piece, Michelins are Rs 5600 and Yokos are Rs 5200 a piece in Kolkata ?

Now I am a long time and happy user of Michelins but am worried stiff about Primacy LCs sidewall woes. So I am confused about what to buy ?
Old 24th December 2012, 16:26   #429
BHPian

Hi,
I am not sure if this is the correct area to post my query, but would like to get an advice on new set of tyres to my Fiat-Palio2002 model.
Will the car handle good if I keep 165/80/r13 at front and 175/80/r13 at rear. Will it behave good on uneven sections of the roads?
Old 25th January 2013, 16:52   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHBAAZ View Post
165/80/r13 at front and 175/80/r13 at rear
Hi, can you share the reason for an uneven Upgrade? There are various points to be considered: Mileage, Breaking, Handling, Suspension etc.. cause in your case there would be a difference of width (10mm) and height (8mm) between the front and rear tyres.
Old 26th January 2013, 03:42   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuiser View Post
Hi, can you share the reason for an uneven Upgrade? There are various points to be considered: Mileage, Breaking, Handling, Suspension etc.. cause in your case there would be a difference of width (10mm) and height (8mm) between the front and rear tyres.
Thanks Bijuiser for intrest shown.
I already had fitted new 165/80 R13 tyres at front a year back and now the rear tyres had gone off. I wanted some wider ones to have some comfort on rough roads. My family is of four and all are heavy weights. Going for wider but low profile(175/65 R13) meant lowering the ground clearance.
Milage is not my criteria.
Changing all four to a new size is best but I already have two good ones.
But anyways I have now fitted 165/80 R13 Bridgestones to company my previous Bridges.
Old 29th January 2013, 14:56   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHBAAZ View Post
I wanted some wider ones to have some comfort on rough roads.
In the past ten years if you haven't changed the suspensions and wish to own the car for long- there are some good threads with reviews of after market (adjustable) suspension upgrades. Try them and enjoy the difference....!!
bijuiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 21:05   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuiser View Post
In the past ten years if you haven't changed the suspensions and wish to own the car for long- there are some good threads with reviews of after market (adjustable) suspension upgrades. Try them and enjoy the difference....!!
I have changed the Suspension of my car last year both front and rear at an authorized FIAT dealer. But anyways thanks.
Old 5th February 2013, 10:32   #434
BHPian

Hi guys I had a query. I changed the tyres from stock Goodyears 195/60 R 15 for our Ford Fusion to BS 195/65 R 15, 3-4 years ago. I didn't know much about tyres at that time so trusted the tyre vendor for the change completely. He said that this height will increase of the tyres a bit so I kind of agreed because I knew that much that slightly higher profile would improve the slightly firm ride of the Fusion. I did not know at that time, as I know now, that this has increased the height of the tyres by 9.75 mm.

This is quite a lot. The ride did improve, but as the earlier Goodyears were almost completely gonners, even if I would have put stock size the ride would have improved, may be. I never felt any drop in grip or stability or performance. Did lot of driving at speeds. I loved the tyres. But I don't remember how the earlier GY set felt when it was in decent health, so can't really compare now.

My question is how much does an increase in almost 10mm height affect the car? How badly does it affect the suspension, steering and engine? Because I may need to change tyres again within 4-6 months. So i want to contemplate whether I should change back to stock size of 195/60, or do I stick to what I have now 195/65?

I am planning to get Yokohoma A-drives or Michlen XM2. My dad is very aggressively for Michlens. And I of course will probably fit the same, but have kept Yoko's as an option. As there is no need for higher performance tyres have left out C-drives et al

The car is used by my parents for their everyday running which involves about 18-20 km of running with 20 % of bad semi-rural roads. Plus once every 2-3 months a roadtrip with drives on highways/semi-/rural roads. So in general the extra ground clearance helps also comfort I think is better.

So what do you guys think is the ideal change for the Fusion? Should I retain the current 195/65 or go back to stock 195/60? Also will Michlens handle the rough roads well enough?

Thanks.

Last edited by thumpingheart : 5th February 2013 at 10:45.
Old 5th February 2013, 13:37   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
So what do you guys think is the ideal change for the Fusion? Should I retain the current 195/65 or go back to stock 195/60? Also will Michlens handle the rough roads well enough?
Please stick to stock size as Fusion already has enough ground clearance (assuming you have petrol Fusion). I haven't compared A-drives & XM2 in this size, but XM2 has stiffer sidewall compared to XM1 or even C-drives.
Having said this, if daily run consists of 20% semi-rural roads, please consider Bridgestone Turanza ER 60.
Looking at usage pattern, my preference would be BS turanza, Yoko A-drive, Michelin XM2 in that order.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks