Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2015, 01:17   #541
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
For your city i would suggest you to opt for Yoko ES100 or S drive,for size 195/60R14 the traction rating is AA which means you have lot of traction, grip and high speed stability.

As you mentioned that your car had met with an accident please make sure that your car is straight,as in go to the service station get in touch with a senior mechanic and ask him to check the front aprons.Make sure they are aligned and have no differences.If you change tyres on a car which is not straight then you will see a bald new tyre very soon.
Wanted to update about this long pending job, did the car o liner check at Honda ASC Goa and those guys cleared the City body saying it isn't misaligned, they have asked me to come back to check the suspension as the car drifts to the left, they say its not because of the accident and maybe because of something else, need to figure that now.
And yes the ES100's are fabulous so thanks again.
Old 7th February 2015, 13:05   #542

Hi all

I have an I20 Magna and wish to change my stock tires. I am looking at Michelin XM2 (4300/- per tire), Continental CC5 (4500/- per tire), and Apollo Alnac (good buy back scheme - 3300/- per tire).

Need advice of tyre experts here - Nikhilb2008??t??

Thanks in advance!
Old 10th February 2015, 18:26   #543
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a Getz Crdi on Yokohamas S drives for the past 5+ years and run for about 66K , but they have become extremely noisy now a days. This car is now my second car and most of the times parked .

Need to change all the 4 tyres ( 195/55/15) . Since its the second car and sparingly used, just wondering whether Kenda tyres would be good @ INR 3200 per tyre or should I go for the Apollo Alnac 4G @ INR 3600 per tyre.

Is it worth taking a chance with Kenda tyres ??

Regards,

MJK.
Old 16th April 2015, 11:06   #544
BHPian

Hi, Changed my Punto's tyres to 175 70 R14 (Yoko A-drive, based on suggestions from TBHP) at 53k about 1.5-2 years back. At the time of change, the dealer told me that my camber was out and set it right for free as he had charged heftily for the tyres itself.

After about 20k, I noticed (and really bad of me to not have noted earlier) that outer side of the rear driver side tyre was wearing off faster and was almost 70% gone. I took the car to the dealer, he checked it and found nothing wrong with it. However, we decided to change the tyre to other side but at the rear only. He also told me that this tyre must have been in front earlier where it could have lost its treadlife.

Now at 88k, the tyre is almost gone. I cold not pay much attention to its performance and have only myself to blame but guess long office hours is doing it to me. I also stated using metro with my change of job 6 months back and the car is being used much less. I take it to office sometimes or to trips to Jaipur etc.

Last week I noticed slight bumping in the tyre and thought of taking it to dealer again but today on checking found it to give away totally wherein the threads have started showing.

Turned to TBHP for advise on new tyre and found advise from NikhilB (#234) to be fantastic. Will go through full thread during the day.

I need advise on two fronts:
Where to get the car checked in Gurgaon or South/Central Delhi for the tyre wearing out problem?
Which tyre to buy? I guess I'll change this as well as another which has now got worn out on outer side, again at rear side but much less than the first one.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by modisan : 16th April 2015 at 11:24. Reason: adding Yoko mention
Old 16th April 2015, 15:13   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by modisan View Post
Hi, Changed my Punto's tyres to 175 70 R14 (Yoko A-drive, based on suggestions from TBHP) at 53k about 1.5-2 years back. At the time of change, the dealer told me that my camber was out and set it right for free as he had charged heftily for the tyres itself.

After about 20k, I noticed (and really bad of me to not have noted earlier) that outer side of the rear driver side tyre was wearing off faster and was almost 70% gone. I took the car to the dealer, he checked it and found nothing wrong with it. However, we decided to change the tyre to other side but at the rear only. He also told me that this tyre must have been in front earlier where it could have lost its treadlife.

Now at 88k, the tyre is almost gone. I cold not pay much attention to its performance and have only myself to blame but guess long office hours is doing it to me. I also stated using metro with my change of job 6 months back and the car is being used much less. I take it to office sometimes or to trips to Jaipur etc.

Last week I noticed slight bumping in the tyre and thought of taking it to dealer again but today on checking found it to give away totally wherein the threads have started showing.

Turned to TBHP for advise on new tyre and found advise from NikhilB (#234) to be fantastic. Will go through full thread during the day.

I need advise on two fronts:
Where to get the car checked in Gurgaon or South/Central Delhi for the tyre wearing out problem?
Which tyre to buy? I guess I'll change this as well as another which has now got worn out on outer side, again at rear side but much less than the first one.
Thanks in advance.
Go to zigwheels on golf course road. The owner is Rohit. He also owns a punto and will be able to help you sort out the alignment issue as well as get you the right tyres. Probably has one of the best alignment machines out there.

You can give him my reference as the guy who comes in with the blue punto.
kapiljolly79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 10:28   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
Go to zigwheels on golf course road. The owner is Rohit. He also owns a punto and will be able to help you sort out the alignment issue as well as get you the right tyres. Probably has one of the best alignment machines out there.

You can give him my reference as the guy who comes in with the blue punto.
Thanks Kapil, left office for meetings around 2 pm and missed your message. Got XM2 pair installed and alignment done which wasn't perfect and shall revisit this shop Tyre World on MG Road near Central Mall. The manager wasn't much knowledgeable but the mechanic was pretty experienced and a nice sounding 'Sunil'. He asked me to come back today or anyday to get it perfected 'manually' wherein he needs to have a good look at it.

Will surely visit Rohit. Being a Punto owner he should relate more to the problem. He'll now have 2 blue punto visitors

On XM2 purchase - checked snapdeal and price was around 4315. TW at MG Road quoted 4700 but finally agreed to 4500 with alignment, balancing and a free puncture too . Bought with advise on this and XM2 thread. Would have felt OK with BS or Yoko too but Nikhil's advise on avoiding BS and Yoko's inability to take my abusive behaviour on them went against them

My other two tyres have a lot of tread left but are uneven and giving a minor bit of bounce/bubbling. 'Sunil' suggests to continue using them for another 10 k or more and guarantees that I will never ever face a problem with tyres again till he is around!

Also, remembered yesterday during discussion of tyre problem with Sunil that I had a shocker gone bad about 1.5 years back, which was replaced under warranty but perhaps I drove with it a bit too much resulting in one tyre gone totally bad (within 6-9 months of purchase) and affecting others too. An expensive lesson!

Last edited by bblost : 17th April 2015 at 16:45. Reason: Please refer forum rules on smiley usage. No more than 2 per post.
Old 21st April 2015, 21:59   #547

Hey All,

Greeting from my side. I just bought Plati Premium 15" Alloys. Sorry but I don't have the pics right now. I Also bought Continental Contact5 tyres rated at 195/60/15. Now the question is, did I chose the right set of tyres. If any one has had previous experience with these tyres please pitch in your reviews.

P.S The car is 2010 Honda City SMT black in colour. ( If anyhow this information is required to evaluate my choice.)
Old 23rd April 2015, 14:05   #548
BHPian

In my case (#546) the tyre shop did not buy back the old tyres and asked me to sell them to somebody else. As my previous tyre change 2 years ago had earned me about 200 per tyre, I kept them in the boot and they are still there (I commute to office by metro now and my wife uses the punto for the 4 km office ride). This saturday, I'll use Punto to get that alignment done and shall visit some puncture wala for the old tyres - (don't think any other tyre wala will entertain me for the old tyres alone!).

Any ideas if 2 old tyres with thread visible on one of them will fetch anything? Pardon me if such a question should not be asked.
Old 21st May 2015, 11:35   #549
BHPian

I have an 2008 Innova V which has done about 118K.
Have always stuck to Goodyear Gt3 and stock alloys.
Have had a few damaged tyres in between and hence want to change from good year to any other durable brand.

The current set are all gt3, 3 are in good shape and will last 20-25k.
One is damaged and the spare needs immediate attention.
I'm confused if it's ok to change only 2 to another brand.

Kindly recommend course of action, whether its ok to change only the two and also Durable brands which can survive some beating, sadly drivers tend to be not careful.
Had quite a few cuts in the recent times. Also had steering vibration and wobbling issues. So would like to address all of that.

TIA
Old 21st May 2015, 23:30   #550
BHPian

Hi,

Looking to get some advice from members on a tyre upgrade. My Ciaz Zxi came with 185/65 R15 on 15" alloys. What are the largest tyres I can put on these alloys ? 195? 205? What would this cost me ?

Thanks in advance. Would be grateful for any guidance !

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2015 at 23:36. Reason: Formatted Text
Old 14th June 2015, 13:46   #551

Hi everyone,

Its time for me to change the tyres on my sx4 (205/60 R16).

- I do not have a clue about what company or model should I go with.
- About my driving; the car is going to be driven in Delhi's not so smooth roads and sometimes on highways.
- I prefer to drive sedate and do not redline the car.

Which tyres should I put on my car. I prefer not to upsize or downsize. Please mention the tyre model, price and the reason in favour/ against it.

Last edited by ampere : 14th June 2015 at 14:12. Reason: Formatted post
Old 15th June 2015, 14:08   #552
BHPian

Nice article and thanks for the post. Tread patter related information is very useful while buying new tires. Personally I prefer to go with manufacturer recommended rim and tire size as that is tested for a specific car. For me up-sizing sounds suitable only when there is specific purpose, for example driving mostly in high ways, carrying extra load, bad road conditions,off-roding etc. Sometimes people reduce tire profile in order to increase width and for good looks as well; but very low profile tires in turn harm the suspensions overtime.
Old 16th June 2015, 14:12   #553
BHPian

I am planning to buy Honda City IDTec, as everyone knows that it comes with a skinny set of tyres
When I asked, the dealer is ready to upgrade the tyres for an additional cost, but they told the warranty on the tyres is lost, but on car warranty there is no impact.
I am not sure if it works that way. Can someone who has done this, help me understand if there is any impact on the warranty in case of tyre upgrades?

-Anand
Old 16th June 2015, 14:25   #554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
qAnand : When I asked, the dealer is ready to upgrade the tyres for an additional cost, but they told the warranty on the tyres is lost, but on car warranty there is no impact.
At least dealer did not say that wty on the car also is lost .

Get your tyres from a dealer outside. He would give you the warranty on the tyres you buy from him And you will be covered.

Best is to discuss with the tyre dealership in advance, and go straight for the tyre-swap immed after delivery of the car.
Old 18th June 2015, 13:25   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qAnand View Post
I am planning to buy Honda City IDTec, as everyone knows that it comes with a skinny set of tyres
When I asked, the dealer is ready to upgrade the tyres for an additional cost, but they told the warranty on the tyres is lost, but on car warranty there is no impact.
I am not sure if it works that way. Can someone who has done this, help me understand if there is any impact on the warranty in case of tyre upgrades?

-Anand
Anand,

Firstly, there is no warranty on tyres by Honda. Tyres are warranted by their respective manufacturers. The Honda showroom where you purchase the car might(at their own liberty) assist you in availing any warranty from the tyre company. So, going by the same standards, even when you upgrade, the warranty on the tyres has to be claimed from the tyre company. As long as you are using the right sized tyre and using it under the rated conditions i.e. not overweigh and overspeed beyond the capacity of the tyre, the warranty should stand good.

Normally, if you go for tyre upgrade outside, the authorized dealers used to warn customers that the suspension warranty might be invalidated by Honda as the new tyres could be heavier/ non-recommended ones, etc and hence make the suspension go bust earlier/ sooner than its full life. In your case, since the upgrade offer comes from the dealer himself, I think you are safely placed to avail any suspension related warranty claims in the future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks