Re: Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review

congrats on your new bike
wanted to buy one but the response from the local dealer was very shabby
will wait till I get one of the shelf
no matter how long it takes
Old 20th May 2011, 22:39   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome!!! Wonderful pics mantrig. Your avatar image is cool too!
So any plans yet to get the cee'ber to the roof of the world?

Don't tell me the thought didn't cross your mind!

Last edited by Dry Ice : 20th May 2011 at 22:40.
Old 20th May 2011, 23:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats mantrig. Very neat and crisp ownership review.
Would keep a tab on this thread, interested to know ways to keep the radiator clean during the monsoon.

@mantrig,
Can you share the email ids of Honda you mailed.

Last edited by rk_sans : 20th May 2011 at 23:09.
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nice writeup mantrig!

Congrats to both you and hifisharu on the new rides. They look great.

Yup, I am a Bulletteer also but I think its time to start trusting on a bike that will "work" without the bl 00 dy hassles of an RE. I've been interested in the CBR250R from the times its been announced and finally took a test ride yesterday at Saphire Honda. The bike was the one with ABS and though I wasn't able to go flat out, I was able to shift through 6 gears and was quite amazed that the bike did not knock on 4th gear even on slow speeds. Also that it took on small speedbumps and potholes with no worries.

But it was quite disconcerting to search for the footrest - me being used to the footrest from the Thunderbird. But think this is something that I can easily get used to. Now, for some questions to you guys who own the bikes and also those who've done test rides. Help me out here.

1. Riding position/posture - I am 5' 11'' and the riding stance was a little hard for me to get used to considering that I have been riding a Thunderbird. What do you guys think of this position going on looong rides? Hard on the shoulders? And I usually carry atleast my camera-bag on my back on rides - think this is possible with this stance?

2. Touring - Are there enough places to fit saddle-bags safely for long rides? I didn't notice this when I saw the bike up close. Think I can fit the Cramster Colt saddle bags?

3. Hows the ground clearance - I think this was a little less - any issues of hitting our infamous speed-bumps?

4. Lighting - hows the headlights? Adequate throw for night riding/touring?

5. Speed - I can wait for this one. Let me know once you guys get the Throttle Wide Open!
Old 22nd May 2011, 15:40   #20
BHPian

Even I'm a longterm bulleteer. I had made two bookings for the CBR on the 1st week of Jan. One was for me and the other was for my nephew. After test riding the bike, i was slightly underwhelmed.

My main concerns were-

- The Riding posture. Am used to the laid back- high handle posture of the Bullets. In fact, i owned a KarizmaR for about a year in 2007-8 and I found the posture perfect. Here, there was too much pressure on the wrists. Am not comfortable with the forward lean position. Also the handlebars are a bit too small for my liking. The ZMR clip-ons would be perfect for me, I guess.

- The "small look" from the front and side. Am 5.11" and pretty broad. The CBR looks fantastic from the back aided by the Fat rear tyres and high tank. However the front fairing is too small and from the side too, it looks pretty small. Am concerned it's a bit small for me..

- The flimsy plastics and below par finish of the clip-ons and weld joints.... THis was pretty surprising from Honda.

Apart from these, The Bike felt good. Adequate power and smooth gearbox. Nothing mind-blowing, but good enough..

If i do go for it, Can I put in the ZMR's Clip-ons without much hassle? Will the cables be too short? Can i do something about fitting a larger windscreen?

My booking arrived yesterday but i gave it to my nephew and decided to wait the 20-odd days untill his bike arrived coz i wasn't 100% convinced. Maybe the remapped ECU in the Classic500 Version-II can change my mind...
Old 22nd May 2011, 22:12   #21
BHPian

@ Mantri G,

Congrats on the bike and good to read the first review on the CBR 250. The bike looks good VFM and for about 50k more than the R15 looks like a sure winner. As you rightly pointed out its not in the same league as the Ninja on performance terms though on price front the Honda has it nicely covered.

From your pictures the riding position looks more 220-ish than say an R15 and doesn't seem to be too bad for a daily traffic-infested ride. Also the meters look nice and I wish Honda had given backlit switchgear to go with it. Im glad you have removed the horrendous looking sari-guard.

I would suggest you get yourself a pair of frame sliders asap to protect the shining machinery.

Happy riding!
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:58   #22
BHPian

Thanks San2- I agree, the attitude of Honda folks at the dealerships sucks big time. Especially, the take it or leave it attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Awesome!!! Wonderful pics mantrig. Your avatar image is cool too!
So any plans yet to get the cee'ber to the roof of the world?

Don't tell me the thought didn't cross your mind!
Thanks Dry Ice. Yes, I am considering the ride we are talking here. Hopefully, I would be riding down to Nainital in Nov as we have road trip planned for a friends wedding. So may be, if I get an extended vacation I will head through the hills to get Leh'D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Congrats mantrig. Very neat and crisp ownership review.
Would keep a tab on this thread, interested to know ways to keep the radiator clean during the monsoon.

@mantrig,
Can you share the email ids of Honda you mailed.
I am going to spend next weekend trying to come up with a Radgaurd. I will take a 1st crack at it and then share it on board for any inputs/criticism.

I will drop you a pm with the details of a Honda guy you should write to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Nice writeup mantrig!

Congrats to both you and hifisharu on the new rides. They look great.

Yup, I am a Bulletteer also but I think its time to start trusting on a bike that will "work" without the bl 00 dy hassles of an RE. I've been interested in the CBR250R from the times its been announced and finally took a test ride yesterday at Saphire Honda. The bike was the one with ABS and though I wasn't able to go flat out, I was able to shift through 6 gears and was quite amazed that the bike did not knock on 4th gear even on slow speeds. Also that it took on small speedbumps and potholes with no worries.

But it was quite disconcerting to search for the footrest - me being used to the footrest from the Thunderbird. But think this is something that I can easily get used to. Now, for some questions to you guys who own the bikes and also those who've done test rides. Help me out here.

1. Riding position/posture - I am 5' 11'' and the riding stance was a little hard for me to get used to considering that I have been riding a Thunderbird. What do you guys think of this position going on looong rides? Hard on the shoulders? And I usually carry atleast my camera-bag on my back on rides - think this is possible with this stance?

I am 5'10 and more on the heavier side, so city traffic has not been an issue (I work 23kms away from home). Also, with regards to your camera bag - I use a Cramster waist pouch (Hippo) and it rest on the rear seat which is a couple of inches high than your front saddle. So I am assuming that would be the case with your cam-bag as well.

2. Touring - Are there enough places to fit saddle-bags safely for long rides? I didn't notice this when I saw the bike up close. Think I can fit the Cramster Colt saddle bags?

Yes, I don't think that will be an issue. I will try and get that answered once I try the Colt's soon.

3. Hows the ground clearance - I think this was a little less - any issues of hitting our infamous speed-bumps?

So far none and assuming won't have them in the future as well. Have been riding a CL 350 with which I never faced an issue. Now the good part is, the GC of CL 350/500 is 140mm while the GC on Honda CBR 250 is 145mm.

4. Lighting - hows the headlights? Adequate throw for night riding/touring?

Lighting is awesome and the spread is bang on spot. Not a spotlight but a nice blanket across the road. Highway riding will not be a problem, it is as good as the HL on Cl 250 which was also a 55/60W bulb.

My only concern is, how will I cope up with the Ghats as I am using to the beam turning with handle and now with the faired front, its going to take some getting used to the throw turning only once the entire bike turns.

5. Speed - I can wait for this one. Let me know once you guys get the Throttle Wide Open!

Arghhhh!!! I hate running in periods.
Thanks Naveen, I have tried to answer your queries above.

Will you posted on performance as the miles are getting munched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
Even I'm a longterm bulleteer. I had made two bookings for the CBR on the 1st week of Jan. One was for me and the other was for my nephew. After test riding the bike, i was slightly underwhelmed.

My main concerns were-

- The Riding posture. Am used to the laid back- high handle posture of the Bullets. In fact, i owned a KarizmaR for about a year in 2007-8 and I found the posture perfect. Here, there was too much pressure on the wrists. Am not comfortable with the forward lean position. Also the handlebars are a bit too small for my liking. The ZMR clip-ons would be perfect for me, I guess.

I agree - Initially, you will feel the pain on wrists simply because we are used to the comfort of relaxed riding on the bull. However, this will change as you realize the right spot where your wrists are spared from all the weight and you get used to a comfortable position.

Yes, the clip ons on Kari ZMR are better and higher which is much better. It would not be a bad idea for us to try if that change can be made and the ride will be more comfortable. My only worry is, the handling should not get affected.

- The "small look" from the front and side. Am 5.11" and pretty broad. The CBR looks fantastic from the back aided by the Fat rear tyres and high tank. However the front fairing is too small and from the side too, it looks pretty small. Am concerned it's a bit small for me..

Trust me, it can easily be carried off even by a guy who is 6" ft. Might seem small initially but isn't all that small.

- The flimsy plastics and below par finish of the clip-ons and weld joints.... THis was pretty surprising from Honda.

This is what I feel too, they could have done a much better job on this front. But I guess, we never get everything.

Apart from these, The Bike felt good. Adequate power and smooth gearbox. Nothing mind-blowing, but good enough..

If i do go for it, Can I put in the ZMR's Clip-ons without much hassle? Will the cables be too short? Can i do something about fitting a larger windscreen?

My booking arrived yesterday but i gave it to my nephew and decided to wait the 20-odd days untill his bike arrived coz i wasn't 100% convinced. Maybe the remapped ECU in the Classic500 Version-II can change my mind...
I will look forward to your feedback once you are able to ride your cousins bike. I am sure you won't regret buying this bike. Larger windsreen might not be an issue, let me look into it and get back.

A remapped ECU being brought in a next couple of months and then the long waiting periods, easily means more than 6months till you get your hands on one.

IMO, go for your CBR now and I am sure you won't be disappointed. I am sure with CL500 coming and long waiting periods - even if you sell you CBR after 6-8 months yu will get more than 90% of your cash back easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
@ Mantri G,

Congrats on the bike and good to read the first review on the CBR 250. The bike looks good VFM and for about 50k more than the R15 looks like a sure winner. As you rightly pointed out its not in the same league as the Ninja on performance terms though on price front the Honda has it nicely covered.

From your pictures the riding position looks more 220-ish than say an R15 and doesn't seem to be too bad for a daily traffic-infested ride. Also the meters look nice and I wish Honda had given backlit switchgear to go with it. Im glad you have removed the horrendous looking sari-guard.

I would suggest you get yourself a pair of frame sliders asap to protect the shining machinery.

Happy riding!
Thanks Narula, yes the bike is more 220-ish and does well in moving city-traffic. My ride came with-out a saree gaurd, I had promised my dad a new grill for our barbeque and now have to shell out from my pockets.

Frame Sliders and Exhaust are on cards, will keep you posted.
mantrig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:50   #23
BANNED

Great, now we have some real owners to report the working of the much awaited machine. Would be nice to know how it handles on sudden braking, does it hold its line or try to sllide out? Of course I am assuming an experienced rider here.
How is the riding position, I mean the angle of the rider vis-a-vis the bike seat line? Is it good for riding in strong winds and for long distances? And lastly how much parking space does it require, i.e. to park it safely and take it out?
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post

Thanks Naveen, I have tried to answer your queries above.

Will you posted on performance as the miles are getting munched.
Thanks dude, appreciate your help! Do keep us updated on the speeds you hit and also on the saddlebags.

Safe riding!
Old 26th May 2011, 11:09   #25
BHPian

Hi Mantri,

Nice write up. Cant wait to get my hands on my delivery and write one of my own, inspired by your article

Quote:
I will drop you a pm with the details of a Honda guy you should write to.
Can you drop me a pm with the details too ?
Old 26th May 2011, 13:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

First off, congrats on your new steed Mantrig. Wishing you many miles of happy and safe rides with the CBR.

Quote:
Battery:- Come with a 12 month warranty and since the kick is missing I would like to know of any issues some might have faced on their FZs or Ninjas so far with the starter giving any trouble.

Riding in the Rains:- How easy is it going to be riding in the rains with the fairing? Would it be too difficult a job to get her back into a sparkling steed after a long ride in the rains? I would appreciate a feedback on this.
With regard to the battery, no issues so far (touch wood) on my ninja. I ride once or twice a month or more frequently if possible and the bike starts on the first crank. This after clocking over 12500 kms in a year.

Riding in the rains is not much of an issue but please keep in mind that the roads can get slippery so brake earlier than you need to. Keep safe distance with the vehicles in front of you and use the front brake more than the rear. Rear brakes are almost never used on sportsbikes unless you want to shed speed drastically. Only in gravel would you need to use the rear brakes.

Regarding getting the bike back to its original shine after a rain ride, it takes me almost 2 hrs (for a detailed wash, wax job, chain cleaning, chain lubrication etc.). Always ensure that the chain is clean and well lubed. You can use Motul Chain Clean and Motul Chain Lube. I would recommend you use a toothbrush dipped in diesel to clean the chain. Brush the diesel soaked toothbrush onto the chain and wipe off the grime with a cloth (ensure its a lint free cloth with no loose threads that can entangle in the chain). This works very well, better than the Motul Chain Clean. Leave aside for sometime and then spray the lube while turning the rear wheel. Let the lube seep into the links and wait for at least a few hours before riding or the lube will fly away onto the wheel due to centrifugal forces.

Since the bike does not come with a main stand or center stand, i use the car jack and it works very well.

Just place the side stand onto a flat wooden block which is no more than 2 inches high. Place a thin wooden piece under the monoshock and over the car's jack. Work the jack and the rear wheel will rise a bit from the ground. You can then clean the chain, wheels, etc.

Saves a few grand which would be otherwise spent on a rear race stand.
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 14:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
T

Thanks Ricci!!! I agree silver looks great but I somehow could not resist black.

Just like Henry Ford said - It can be any colour - so as long as it's BLACK!!!

Thank you BlueVOlt - I am hoping most of your queries are answered. I will keep you posted with the service updates and more pics as I click them.
Hey great pics! I must say you look rocking on the black CBR!!

The bike must pull well enough with a pillion rider on board (my chief grouse with my R15 - tho completely understandable, knowing its meant for top end power).

Whats the fuel tank capacity of the 250R?

Last edited by Cayman360 : 26th May 2011 at 14:36.
Old 26th May 2011, 17:07   #28
BHPian

Congrats Mantrig, thats one awesome ride you got for yourself.
I have been contemplating handling over my bull to my brother and going for this bike. Reading your thread it has come as big surprise that so many bulleteers are planning something similar
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 17:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hey mantrig,

nice to see u on a different thread. congrats on your new ride.

Had a few questions, indirectly related.

when i first read, i was a very excited about ceeber. Intentions were to exchange the C5 and get something more reliable and fast. After spending on time on the net, reading about it, slowly the initial euphoria died down.

I know it would be stupid to compare a bull to a honda as they are poles apart, but still, i would like to know your experience of the CBR against the bull. i know its still too early for you, but nevertheless. I am looking at a tourer, fast, reliable, and am not satisfied with the C5 on both the front, especially the later. Was not too sure if the CBR would fit the bill. Whats your experience, as you have experienced bulls before the CBR.
I have used smaller honda motorcycles in the past, and swear by their reliability. but was not too sure abut the power, torque, touring capability, and customization on the CBR. Do share you thoughts..
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 19:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Great, now we have some real owners to report the working of the much awaited machine. Would be nice to know how it handles on sudden braking, does it hold its line or try to sllide out? Of course I am assuming an experienced rider here.
How is the riding position, I mean the angle of the rider vis-a-vis the bike seat line? Is it good for riding in strong winds and for long distances? And lastly how much parking space does it require, i.e. to park it safely and take it out?
Hello Zaks - I have deliberately tried sudden braking on loose tarmac just to understand how she behaves or fish tails and the speeds I am talking are anything above 55kmph. And she does respond pretty well and braking has been confidence inspiring so far. It will be interesting to understand if response is the same once I start hitting higher speeds.

Riding position is pretty much comfortable and the reason I say pretty much comfortable is because I was used to the sofa-seat of a bull. There is a lot of space to keep shifting your butt around. Would not say the same about pillion, my GF has never complained and she does not have a reason too either with the cozy position it has in store for the pillion. But with a guy sitting behind, if I compare it with a Bull - No, its not equally comfortable or not even close to it.

Parking is something that does require similar space to what a ZMR does. But yes, with only side-stand you need to be careful in public parking spaces where the bikes are stashed in like the bees in a honey comb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Thanks dude, appreciate your help! Do keep us updated on the speeds you hit and also on the saddlebags.

Safe riding!
Naveen - Thanks, I have just started to wring the trottle a bit as suggested by Aditya and I am surprised with the way she pulls. Its just amazing. Max I have so far is close to 85 kmph on the 6th gear with the RPM needle a bit on the lower side of 6k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
Hi Mantri,

Nice write up. Cant wait to get my hands on my delivery and write one of my own, inspired by your article

Can you drop me a pm with the details too ?
All the best Vizz- Look forward to having your review on board.

Have sent you a pm with details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
First off, congrats on your new steed Mantrig. Wishing you many miles of happy and safe rides with the CBR.

Saves a few grand which would be otherwise spent on a rear race stand.
Aditya, the entire post has been very helpful. Thank you for your valuable inputs. Especially, the car-jack idea is certainly very helpful and also the chain cleaning process.

Appreciate your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
Hey great pics! I must say you look rocking on the black CBR!!

The bike must pull well enough with a pillion rider on board (my chief grouse with my R15 - tho completely understandable, knowing its meant for top end power).

Whats the fuel tank capacity of the 250R?
The fuel tank capacity is 13ltrs, however only 10 ltrs is useful. The fuel meter starts blinking once close to 3.5 litres in the tank as it is advisable not to go below that to avoid pump from drying up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Hey mantrig,

nice to see u on a different thread. congrats on your new ride.

Had a few questions, indirectly related.

when i first read, i was a very excited about ceeber. Intentions were to exchange the C5 and get something more reliable and fast. After spending on time on the net, reading about it, slowly the initial euphoria died down.

I know it would be stupid to compare a bull to a honda as they are poles apart, but still, i would like to know your experience of the CBR against the bull. i know its still too early for you, but nevertheless. I am looking at a tourer, fast, reliable, and am not satisfied with the C5 on both the front, especially the later. Was not too sure if the CBR would fit the bill. Whats your experience, as you have experienced bulls before the CBR.
I have used smaller honda motorcycles in the past, and swear by their reliability. but was not too sure abut the power, torque, touring capability, and customization on the CBR. Do share you thoughts..
Thanks Nasir,

Good to see you visit this thread and post here.

I agree, comparing a BUll to the baby CeeBeR would be like comparing apples to oranges. Coming to your queries - Yes, the CBR 250 is fast, good for touring (everyday i ride approximately 30kms to office), fast (is much more responsive as compared to a BULL) and reliability has for sure been the forte of Honda, which made me take this bike. While the relaxed feel and the open chested riding experience with the BULL is irreplaceable, this bike brings along time by helping you get to places much faster and yes it does so comfortably. Torque is there at least in the low range and can feel it across all gears. To really comment across all power bands I would have cover a lot more ground before being able to comment on that.

The finishing could certainly be better, but after buying a RE you will be a lot more satisfied customer and you can take my word for this. Customization cosmetically would be more graphic and some to some extent a little ergonomic in nature. The reason I am saying this is only because would have the liberty to come up with a completely different saddle (seat) or handle bars like in a bullet. However, changing the clip ons to a slightly better one is possible.

Performance mods will certainly be more easy and effective on this ride.

Couple of updates :-

Tank Pad : A friend of mine is buying me one from Honda US. Here is the link :- 2011 CBR250R Accessories - Honda Genuine Accessories - Honda Powersports

Mileage : : Has gone up to anywhere between 32-35kmpl with a mix of city and highway (50% each). Which is good as compared to the 1st week when she struggled to return anything above 28 kmpl.

Exhaust : A little apprehensive about switching soon, inputs will be appreciated. I am considering getting myself a Diwali gift on my next trip to the US. Here is the link :- Two Brothers Racing V.A.L.E. M-2 Black Series Slip-On Exhaust - Street Bike 2011 Honda CBR250R - Motorcycle Superstore

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks