Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 23:37   #46
BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review

Hey mantrig congratulations! I honestly wanted to own one of these. I have heard a lot that they have compromised on quality as part of cost cutting, your review does talks about it, and I guess the competition is with Ninja and the younger breed R15. I did not expect the same from Honda's stable, Any how lets look at the other side

Ride safe, Happy Biking!
Old 1st June 2011, 18:00   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
@Sutripta - No
CBR-250R is being displayed at the newly opened outlet at my place.(No more sweat) Though had checked it out earlier at Siliguri and it appeared big.

Believe me, the CBR has put forward such a damn VFM option that even those guys who can afford the green 250-R are having double thoughts.

Me? I am waiting for a 600F. I won't outright buy it, but then I shall think about it.
I agree the CBR does appear more meaty as compared most of the bikes around. However, when standing next to the ZMR or 220 Pulsar (Faired Version) the feeling might not be the same.

W.R.T. CBR being a good VFM option, there are no second thoughts in mind and that's exactly the reason for me going in for the CBR. May be, had the bike been launched from any other stable except Yamaha - I would not have put in my hard earned money without waiting for sometime after the bike was launched.

Also, 3lakhs for the Green Mean Machine (Baby Kwacker) was a major reason why I never went it. Not that the price is not justified (I would love to own one), but with marriage on cards I decided to upgrade may be sometime later next year to something more power packed and I am sure we will have a lot of options by then too with the market heating up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
Congratulations MantriG

I have been regular reader of your thread. Its good to get feedback from the owners of a newly launched bike.

The sales guy asked me to pay full amount & wait for another 1.5 months. I told him I will pay after 1.5 mnths when my bike arrives

Guys any idea when 2nd batch coming?

Also, MantriG pls PM me the emaild IDs of Honda corporate as I want to bring this up to them.
Thank you Sir.

It's a pity to hear about what people from other cities are actually going through. And NO, I don't think you should pay in full before your bike arrives for registration.

I have no idea about the second lot, but will check and keep you posted.

Have sent you a pm with the details of the guy you might want to write to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamber_yadav View Post
Hi guys! What a superb write up by Mantrig.. absolutely nailed right on the head..

Mantrig’s superb review erased all my doubts and had me at ease… after the detailed discussions on the forum I have nothing more to add but the pics of my red stunning beauty….
Congratulations Digamber!!! The bike is indeed a pleasure to ride and do not worry about the heating issues. It was only in the initial 50 odd kms.

I have already clocked 650kms on my bike and am hoping to complete the first service before monsoons hit Mumbai.

Will keep the thread updated with my experience as the breaking-in is done and issues that will start cropping up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
Hey mantrig congratulations! I honestly wanted to own one of these. I have heard a lot that they have compromised on quality as part of cost cutting, your review does talks about it, and I guess the competition is with Ninja and the younger breed R15. I did not expect the same from Honda's stable, Any how lets look at the other side

Ride safe, Happy Biking!
Thank you MadTiger,

If the quality issues are really a hinderence in your decision then let me re-assure you that the quality is not the best as far as the plastics are concerned but by no means are they bad. Your money certainly is buying you the best in the price band that the bike retails for. You will not regret buying this bike provided you are clear in your head about what your expectations are.

As far your concern about the comparisons with Ninja and R15, here are my thoughts on all three.

This is a single cylinder and a very refined bike from the honda stable. They certainly could have done on the finishing front (cosmetic) but the ride quality and engineering is certainly not compromised in the bargain. And I guess, it was necessary to keep price band low to get the numbers ticking.

The competition never was and can never be with the Ninja, which is a Twin and a tamed beast in a league of its own. However, the baby CeeBeR is a good option for someone considering a bigger and better bike but does not have the liberty to spend 3L on a bike. Honestly, had I got that kind of cash on me - I would have not thought twice.

Regarding the R15 - Its a power packed pocket rocket and certainly justifies the price at which it is sold. However, the bike seems too small for me and anyone who is more than average as far as the Length (Height) & Breadth (Body Mass) are concerned. Again, it easily is the best bike in a 150cc class.
The way a 150cc Fazer can't be compared to the Yammies R15, even a CBR 250 cannot be compared with the N-150R.

All said and done, all 3 bikes are best in their leagues and cater to different audiences depending on each ones spending power, riding needs and expectations from their rides.

I am very happy with my decision and the CBR has just been able to bring a smile to my face with every passing mile.

Last edited by mantrig : 1st June 2011 at 18:09.
mantrig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 23:05   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post

Thank you MadTiger,

If the quality issues are really a hinderence in your decision then let me re-assure you that the quality is not the best as far as the plastics are concerned but by no means are they bad. Your money certainly is buying you the best in the price band that the bike retails for. You will not regret buying this bike provided you are clear in your head about what your expectations are.

As far your concern about the comparisons with Ninja and R15, here are my thoughts on all three.
Hey mantrig,

What shall I say?? Thank you for the awesome explanation. Wow you proved it and I bet you are in love with your bike! Good to know you listened to your heart. Once more happy Biking, ride safe!
MadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:11   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Have sent you a pm with the details of the guy you might want to write to.
Thank you MantriG

There's one more feedback I would want from you. I have been riding a TBTS all these days & mainly used it for touring. I have sold it & now contemplaing between Classic 500 & CBR250R. As you know I have already booked one.

How do you think CBR250R will do as a tourer? is the riding position just a matter of getting used to?
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:27   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post

How do you think CBR250R will do as a tourer? is the riding position just a matter of getting used to?

I do not think the riding position will be much of a problem. It certainly is something you will get used to with time, from my current experience I feel the CBR is pretty much comfortable if not better than my CL 350.

The CL500 is very relaxed due the ergonomics the bike offers, however CBR 250 makes up by getting you places more quicker. Again, you need to re-think your decision - As it can either be the bull or CBR. It should not be that your heart is craving for the iron (BULL) and you end up with the plastic (CBR) which will leave you unhappy every time a CL 500 passed by.

Both are beautiful bikes with pros & cons of their own.
Hello guys,

I finally received my service manual and EW card. Am using pictures to answer some questions that have been arising in most of our minds. If you still have any doubts/queries please ask them here as it might be something that has not struck me or anyone else on board.

Also, sharing my experience with A.S.S. which left a bitter taste in my mouth. Finally, the queries are being addressed if not completely resolved but thought of sharing it with you guys.

I received my service book last evening and the 1st service date reflected as 4th June, which is ridiculous. I took the delivery of my bike on 14 May 2011 and have completed 650kms so far but then how on on earth do you expect me to give the for servicing two days after I received my service book and 20 days since delievery of my bike when I have not even clocked the kms required.

To this the guy says, "Sir, as per our records the date of purchase is May 4 so bike has to be serviced on June 4". I decided not to budge and ensured I explained him my concern, after which I was asked to call the service centre guys and they finally agreed to let me service my bike on next Sat (June 11).

Now, I will let the pics do the talking for some queries that had arised earlier.

Running-In

The pic below states only this much and service centre guy says keep the bike below 40kmph. I have been religiously trying to keep the RPM needle under 4-4.5K so far, however there are times when I have taken her to speeds around 70 for not more than a couple of seconds.

But now I feel like speeds around 80kmps occasionaly should be okay. Let me know your thoughts.

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-running-.jpg

Fuel Gauge

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-fuel-gauge.jpg

Coolant Gauge

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-coolant-gauge.jpg

Starting the Engine

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-starting-engine.jpg

Flooded Engine

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-flooded-engine.jpg

Things covered under EW

The recommended service intervals as per manual is 6000kms or 6 months. However, the extended warranty states 3000kms or 3 months whichever is earlier else the EW would not be applicable.

I had to explain it to him that the service intervals suggested by the co. is different from std Honda bikes and hence the regular EW conditions cannot be applicable in my case, after which he said that the company has not told them this. He said, he will check with the HO and get back with me when I go for my 1st service on next weekend.

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-what-covered.jpg

Exclusion under EW

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-what-not-covered-i.jpg

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-what-not-covered-ii.jpg
Old 3rd June 2011, 23:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hey mantrig....belated congratulations on the baby ceeber (although she should have been a viffer, I feel; Honda's botched up there)...logged onto TBHP after quite a few days...busy schedule, what can I say...

Have fun...the Honda should keep you happy for quite a while..

I think the CBR's got a lot of potential in terms of tunability. Went WOT on a non-ABS ceeber a few days back (need to check out the top whack though; coming up soon), and I felt that the engine was pretty de-tuned. I'm fathoming the possibilities of a ECU/Injector/Intake/Exhaust upgrade...should free up quite a few ponies, and get that top-end moving; she feels pretty tied up post 7500, and is a bit lazy to 9500.

There's this theory on hard run-in; which I (arguably) agree with, as I have experienced personally on different machines...

My thoughts on the non-ABS ceeber;

A) Brake feel is F-A-R better than the ABS unit. Could have had a little more bite, though. The twin pot bybre unit offers far better progression & feedback than the triple pot(in theory) Nissin.

B) This could probably be due to the test bike being hammered (or otherwise; no clue though), but the non-ABS bike actually felt a lot more confident with the same suspension settings (0 on pre-load) than the ABS equipped test bike. On the ABS model, the tyres were chattering away whilst braking from over a ton, and I could feel the ABS motor pulsing away. With the non-ABS, however, no traction problems or drama. I actually felt that the tyres were quite adequate. While sashaying at a ton, and hard-braking at 110. No squeals whatsoever. Hm. Weird.

C) On an empty stretch, the ceeber pulls away from a ZMA just as clean as a Ninja does. All under WOT conditions, of course. Which means that there's not much difference between a Ninja & a ceeber in the real world...hm...

D) Despite the torque, the difference in the motor's mid-range pull is quite evident with/without pillion; the oversquare motor's torque plateau lies too far up the rev-range, I guess. Surprisingly, 5500-7500 RPM range is where the motor is most happy to putter along at. Eagerly waiting for those race cams & ECU units to be launched for this motor..should make quite a lot of difference...we should get to see in the Honda one-make races soon enough...

Overall, one helluva brilliant machine for the monies. Just wish she had better plastics, and a slightly better designed console (and a little higher, please; the current one's a tad low-set)...would've loved a black-and-white tacho console with steel numericals, chrome dial surround and ice white/hard amber backlighting...oh, and while we're on the wish-list...the Comet had USDs on a similarly priced machine about 6 years ago...but I guess that's asking a bit too much...
veyron1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 10:44   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
B) This could probably be due to the test bike being hammered (or otherwise; no clue though), but the non-ABS bike actually felt a lot more confident with the same suspension settings (0 on pre-load) than the ABS equipped test bike. On the ABS model, the tyres were chattering away whilst braking from over a ton, and I could feel the ABS motor pulsing away. With the non-ABS, however, no traction problems or drama. I actually felt that the tyres were quite adequate. While sashaying at a ton, and hard-braking at 110. No squeals whatsoever. Hm. Weird.
Different tyre pressures on each bike.
Old 8th June 2011, 21:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

@isodope: I had thought of that possibility as well, however, if the tyres were over-inflated in the test bike (ABS), I would have experienced choppier ride quality (as compared to the non-ABS), which I didn't. Moreover, since the ABS model test was with pillion, the weight should have negated the disadvantage on the rear contact patch, as well as the front under hard braking (due to weight transfer).

Only one way to find out. Test another ABS model without pillion...shall check in a while..
Old 9th June 2011, 15:18   #54
BHPian

Thanks Veyron1 - Sorry for the delayed response as have been kept away from the real world and bike as well due to work load.

Quote:
Hey mantrig....belated congratulations on the baby ceeber (although she should have been a viffer, I feel; Honda's botched up there)...logged onto TBHP after quite a few days...busy schedule, what can I say...

Have fun...the Honda should keep you happy for quite a while..

That's my expectation as well. Will look for a decent upgrade in the next financial year hopefully and this baby will also help me graduate responsibly.

There's this theory on hard run-in; which I (arguably) agree with, as I have experienced personally on different machines...

I am still so confused with the run-in part. I am going for my 1st service on coming Sat (June 11) with 850kms clocked. How do I continue with my running-in from here on is a BIG question for me.

Should I simply continue riding around at speeds ranging between 60-65 kmph, or now that the 1st service will be done with next only at 6K kms I should increase the speeds gradually. And by gradually I mean +10kmph with every passing ton.

My thoughts on the non-ABS ceeber;

C) On an empty stretch, the ceeber pulls away from a ZMA just as clean as a Ninja does. All under WOT conditions, of course. Which means that there's not much difference between a Ninja & a ceeber in the real world...hm...

Yes, in regular city riding there is not much difference. And to a great extent this applies even the P220s & ZMRs in regular city spins in broad daylight.

D) DSurprisingly, 5500-7500 RPM range is where the motor is most happy to putter along at.

I have been craving to ride in RPM range exceeding 5K during my daily rides. Occasional bursts have been there, however that's not more than the time a human breathe cycle lasts.

Just wish she had better plastics, and a slightly better designed console (and a little higher, please; the current one's a tad low-set)...

So true!!!

would've loved a black-and-white tacho console with steel numericals, chrome dial surround and ice white/hard amber backlighting...oh, and while we're on the wish-list...the Comet had USDs on a similarly priced machine about 6 years ago...but I guess that's asking a bit too much...

And with our wishlist being fulfilled by even 50% they would have increased the price by another 15-20%. I would have still been happy shelling out the additional cash provided it was well justified.
Old 11th June 2011, 00:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

850 kms already..? Wow..
Hope you've already changed your oil. If not, do a few WOT runs, use compression braking as much as possible, load up the engine over the rev range evenly for about 50 kms, & then change the oil...and keep fingers crossed for perfect ring seal & honing..
You might want to read up on hard running in on the net...should help you out..

Last edited by veyron1 : 11th June 2011 at 01:03.
Old 12th June 2011, 17:03   #56
BHPian

Quote:
850 kms already..? Wow..
Hope you've already changed your oil. If not, do a few WOT runs, use compression braking as much as possible, load up the engine over the rev range evenly for about 50 kms, & then change the oil...and keep fingers crossed for perfect ring seal & honing..
You might want to read up on hard running in on the net...should help you out..
Veyron - Unfortunately, I have not changed the oil yet and am going for the 1st service on Tue (provided the skies are clear).

I have read about the hard running in on several forum and chose to go the manual way (religiously) due to the arguments about the going the Motoman way which flooded my head with skepticism.

So, do you suggest I start doing higher RPMS and use compression braking for 50kms or so? I hope the sudden change in riding style won't do a lot of damage.

Also, I seriously would need a advice on this - After my 1st service, can I actually start gradually doing higher RPMS/Speeds?
Old 13th June 2011, 18:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

From personal experience, proper run-ins actually do make machines noticeably punchier in terms of performance...especially certain hard-run in machines that I've seen (on bikes, specifically, 4 different ZMAs, & a Fireblade too; extremes, I know..) Cars, too...

All cars/bikes spend at least 15 minutes on the test bench on a assembly line; so technically speaking, all engines are already run-in for 15 mins...and anyone who's seen roller/bench testing will vouch that the testing is never done below 3000 RPM...

Since she's already run 850, it's quite pointless to attempt a hard run-in (your break-in's over; now it's just smoothening/fine honing of the mechanicals that you'd be doing). Just change the engine oil, and apply different loads on the engine over the next 500 kms. Feel free to rev her, and the occassional red-lining is pretty fine. Few things to keep in mind;

A) Do not rev her at cold start. Wait for the engine to warm up before pulling hard.
B) Never ride at a constant speed. Keep throttling up/down. The idea being to avoid loading the engine in a specific rev-range, and to allow adequate air to cool the engine (since you'd be riding at good speeds).
C) Try to use compression braking as much as possible. It'll also allow you to balance the bike under hard riding. However, Compression/engine braking is quite tricky, and initially, more often than not, you end up hard-shifting (down-shifts without adequate blipping)...try to avoid that..

Ride hard, and ride safe...
veyron1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 23:18   #58
BHPian

Quote:
From personal experience, proper run-ins actually do make machines noticeably punchier in terms of performance...especially certain hard-run in machines that I've seen (on bikes, specifically, 4 different ZMAs, & a Fireblade too; extremes, I know..) Cars, too...

All cars/bikes spend at least 15 minutes on the test bench on a assembly line; so technically speaking, all engines are already run-in for 15 mins...and anyone who's seen roller/bench testing will vouch that the testing is never done below 3000 RPM...

Since she's already run 850, it's quite pointless to attempt a hard run-in (your break-in's over; now it's just smoothening/fine honing of the mechanicals that you'd be doing). Just change the engine oil, and apply different loads on the engine over the next 500 kms. Feel free to rev her, and the occassional red-lining is pretty fine. Few things to keep in mind;

A) Do not rev her at cold start. Wait for the engine to warm up before pulling hard.
B) Never ride at a constant speed. Keep throttling up/down. The idea being to avoid loading the engine in a specific rev-range, and to allow adequate air to cool the engine (since you'd be riding at good speeds).
C) Try to use compression braking as much as possible. It'll also allow you to balance the bike under hard riding. However, Compression/engine braking is quite tricky, and initially, more often than not, you end up hard-shifting (down-shifts without adequate blipping)...try to avoid that..

Ride hard, and ride safe...
Thank you so much the post above, it has been very helpful.

Tomorrow morning, I will be taking the bike for 1st service and will keep you posted on the changes I experience post the 1st service. And yes, will keep in mind those valuable inputs from you which should help living with this machine easier.
Old 14th June 2011, 22:40   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Can we have a picture of the same in your thread? It shall be of immense help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Thanks for clarifying though. Post the pic.
Here are the pics with detailed descriptions.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post2391697
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 06:05   #60
Senior - BHPian

Mantrig,

you may wish to head over to motoroids to check with doc arn on these questions. He is as detail oriented as you and would suggest some ideas - being a mumbaikar himself.

Though, unlike you - his bike has already done 4000km in the 1st month

He's already having some spares problem with his bike and it looks like Honda didn't expect any bikes to be put down with decent mileage!!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks