Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 11:30   #46
BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R vs Enfield Classic 500/350

Even i have booked Classic Chrome. Last week i happened to pass through Honda CBR 250. I happened to stand at the single with my FZ, just to test i also gave full throttle and zoomed, but CBR was too fast in that intial torque, almost felt like a mini super bike. I havent seen such fast movement in any indian bikes. And the Air from silencer was hitting my face just like RE with each acceleration. Now i am thinking of test drive for sure
Old 24th October 2011, 13:04   #47
BHPian

Hi
I was in the same situation last year. I had booked CL500cc last december and then the ninja 250 and 650 became available in chennai. I test drove 250 and liked it, i drove the 650 of my friends for a short distance and i was not sure i am ready to handle the power it can generate. I test drove the CL500 4 times before i made my decision. I felt its the right ride for me. I am not a speed devil but love to cruise all day averaging 80 to 100kmph and CL500 fits the bill on dot. I took delivery of CL500 last august and am happy about my decision. Every ride i went to i can easily cruise at 100 without missing one beat and the max speed i touched was 120kmph. The speedometer is not accurate after 100kmph but thats the max i can get too within my comfort zone. Till 100 the bike handles beautifully but on the other side of 100 i am not very comfortable with the vibrations and the way it handles itself. When i talk to other bullet owners who have migrated from REB to ninja's they proud of their ninja's but they do ride their bulls once in a while for the sheer pleasure of it. Cheers.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 13:34   #48
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmessiah View Post
Were you able to find a used Ninja 250? After all these years of its launch, I haven't came across a single one put up for sale- not in the papers nor in the T-Bhp classifieds. How much do you reckon a used one would cost?
I saw a black Ninja 250 for 2.8 lakhs in Bangalore with 11000 kms on the odo. At 2.8 lakhs, it was above my budget and the bike got sold in a week. Since then haven't seen any more examples.
Old 24th October 2011, 14:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Or is it because he's too busy riding hard to stop and take snaps?
I seriously think this must be the reason! I love photography and have taken hundreds of pics of my Thunderbird. I am so busy riding the CBR that I have taken 4 pics of it in a month!
Old 24th October 2011, 17:54   #50
BHPian

very well said,i too have owned a classic 500 & a rd 350,rd 350 i own it for ten years now & i am extremely happy with it,where as i sold my classic 500 just in 3 months because of its quality over all,its just not upto the mark,
the handling after 120 kmph is pathetic,three days ride in rain & you can see the rust,absolute junk according to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I'd suggest you go with the Honda CBR250R.

Royal Enfield: Unreliable, many many niggles, expensive spares and labour charges, great aura, uncomfortable seats (compared to the full length seat), authorised service centers as bad as local mechanics. Cannot leave it out in the rains and expect it to be well. In other words, if you buy one you'd want to keep it in awesome condition. To keep it in awesome condition, it'll keep you in a pathetic psychological condition.

Honda: Peace of mind unless you get a lemon, should be fairly trouble-free, oil-cooled, better suspension system, wider tyre, world quality bike, big bike feel, good intermediate bike and has been compared to Ninja 250 (even though thats almost a lakh expensive). You can literally abuse this bike compared to an Enfield and still find it not failing.
Old 24th October 2011, 23:28   #51
BHPian

Test rode the CBR today.. Last word- "Nowhere near my CL500". But yes, it can give you peace of mind!
Old 25th October 2011, 14:54   #52
BANNED

Ridewise the CBR250R is a free revving engine and can scream even at 120+ but you take the C500 above 100 and it vibrates bad, at 110+ it really tries to throw you off. At 80-90 it gives the best feeling of motorcyling not matched by the CBR.

Qualitywise the less said the better of C500, while a Honda except for some cheap plastic in CBR is out of the world compared to RE.
Old 27th October 2011, 17:28   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys! I know- it's a pretty unusual comparison as these machines are vastly different. When one is ready to spend more than a lac on a bike, most people tend to consider even vastly different machines.

Also, I'm a novice at biking and am not too sure what I really want. I'm basically a car guy and the most experience I've had with a two wheeler was on an Aviator.

Enfield Classic 500

The first time I'd ever ridden a proper bike was when I took the C5 for a test ride. Predictably it was a hair raising ride- the rush it gave me didn't wear out even after a week. And the sound! I was a bit scared of it too- I felt that it was trying to throw me off the saddle every time I gave it the stick. And am I wrong in thinking that the brakes are quite insufficient for this beast?

I’m a bit put off from choosing this baby because of the volley of problems it has been giving its owners as I’ve gathered from the ownership thread. The fuel efficiency is also a bit of a downer. I can take 3o kmpl but less than that just doesn’t make sense. Has the bike gotten any more reliable (and fuel efficient) after the ECU remap? Also, has the stability been improved with the tire change?

Enfield Classic 350

I tried on the C3 after riding the C5 and was much more taken by its laidback attitude and a bit more forgiving nature. I'm more interested to cruise along the roads taking in the scenery and not to wring the bolts out of the engine and pass by the landscape in a blur.

It had far fewer niggles than the C5 and had a tried and tested mill. Also, it gives better mileage and seemed to be easier to manage in the traffic. Finally, it’s the lightest on the wallet. So, I had decided that the C3 was for me.

Until the CBR250 came along. The time for getting really confused had come.

(Does the C3 come with those hideous ribbed tyres in front that the rest of the RE line up comes with? I've seen them on some C3-s but in some, the front tyres are different. Are there lots of choices for aftermarket tyres for the C3?)

Honda CBR250

I test rode the Honda and it failed to impress me- thrice. The first thing is that I don't feel too thrilled with its plastic fantastic looks. The silver accents look cheap in finish, quality and taste. Those exposed weld joints were a huge turnoff too. Those foot pegs don't belong in a 1.6 lac bike with a confused identity (CBR250? Looks like a VFR250 to me). The new R15 feels MUCH better built and finished on comparison. I kept getting the feeling that the CBR's fairings would come loose, paint would get faded (the red in particular) and that the rear plastic mudguard would get brittle and get blistered in the sun.

Secondly, I didn't feel that I was riding something special when I was aboard the CBR250. It was smooth and responsive but nothing worthy of the CBR moniker. The gears felt smooth but I hated the tiny shifter (largely a matter of personal taste). In short, no one in my family was impressed by the CBR250 even though it was mechanically sound and had some good tech under all the plastic.

The Ceeber just felt like a Karizma with a really huge body kit. I'm gonna get brickbats hurled at for this but I feel that its price tag is quite inflated. It just doesn't feel like it's worth 1.6 lacs. I'm sorry but when it's a Honda, I expect quite a lot more quality than the competition. In this case, the quality doesn’t commensurate with the price tag. Overall, it’s been a huge disappointment.

Conclusion- Confusion

Why have hardcore bulleteers like Mantrig shifted to the CBR? I mean, I can understand the allure a Honda engine has- the core mechanicals in the CBR 250 are quite sound and can last quite well but is the rest of the CBR so good that it justifies in giving up a Bullet?

Sure, the Enfields have poorer fit and finish and are reputed to be unreliable but they are cheaper, hold their value well and most importantly- have a character of their own.

Funny thing was that in all three showrooms (RF Motors, Aryabhangy Honda, Muthoot Honda) where I’d gone for test riding the CBR, the service and customer attention were terrible. If this is their attitude before they have even sold the bike, I dread to think what would be the case after I’ve bought one from them.

The Enfield place at Edapally, Cochin was a pleasant surprise. They knew that I was a total noob rider yet they gave me BOTH the C5 & C3 for a test ride. They were polite and paid attention to the customers as well. Quite different from what I’ve heard about RE.

However that doesn’t make me any less worried about their after sales service and quality niggles. Is the RE after sales service in Cochin any good?

So, it boils down to the classic case of head vs. heart. The CBR might have poor plastics and such but I think its innards are pretty sound and it can stand some abuse. It’s a logically good choice.

The Classics are another matter entirely. I’m even confused between the two of them- they both are good in their own ways. It’s a matter of choosing between the hairy chested and potentially unreliable C5 and the tamer but no less niggle free C3.

I’ve been thinking about this for more than a year as it’s pretty evident from the insanely long and rambling post. Please help me out guys. This has been quite a knotty problem for quite some time.

Mods- I’ll be really happy it if this post were approved. Please delete this if a similar thread exists. Thank you.

@evilmessiah : Its a really hard choice, but considering that I have been owned a Thumper in the past, theres no sweeter nirvana inducing beat coming out of a bike exhaust this side of the world. Of course, my perspective might be a bit different as i had a 95 standard Bull. But all said and done, despite the small niggles and oil leaks and unscheduled halts that a bullet might force you, it still is a machine that has to be ridden.

On the other hand, the CBR is something of a mini sports tourer reeking of VFM. Its a different class altogether and in a metropolis like Mumbai, both bikes are not ideal steeds to have in this crazy bumper to bumper traffic. But have heard good things of the new Classic thumpers and they are lookers mind you with that low slung classic seating posture. My vote would go for the THUMPERS anytime.

Regards,
Old 28th October 2011, 19:00   #54
BHPian

Took a test ride of CBR 250R today, had a short test drive. Some how i did not feel much difference between my FZ-S. I told the same to Sales rep, he asked me to come tomorrow and take a bigger test ride in morning times. Now tide is turning towards RE again

I might take a used RE for now till my Classic Chrome RE comes in another 5-6 months.
Old 28th October 2011, 19:53   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Took a test ride of CBR 250R today, had a short test drive. Some how i did not feel much difference between my FZ-S. I told the same to Sales rep, he asked me to come tomorrow and take a bigger test ride in morning times. Now tide is turning towards RE again

I might take a used RE for now till my Classic Chrome RE comes in another 5-6 months.
I've still not managed to do a second test ride of the Classics due to my injured leg. However, I've ridden the CBR more thrice and my feelings were the same as yours. Funny thing was during the first test ride, the rep who was riding pillion with me kept on asking me 'Can you feel the power?' I flabbergasted as I was test riding it in the city and wasn't even able to reach the third gear due to the heavy traffic. I told him so after the ride and he just grinned sheepishly.

The used route might be good as the old ones have some great resale value. I've seen people even using good used examples as a hedging tool of sorts during the waiting period.

The second one was a longer test ride on the highway. It does have sufficient poke (overtaking was effortless) but you don't feel it as it is delivered in an extremely linear manner. Adding to this is the windscreen which minimises wind buffeting which again contributes to the sensation of a lesser speed. The final buzzkill is the exhaust note- it's too quiet compared to the menacing roar the C5 test bike (with the upswept can) had. Again, a personal preference. Though a lot of aftermarket cans are available for the CBR, it still sounds nowhere as good (watched youtube clips of the same) as the C5 (or even a C3) with the upswept can.
Old 28th October 2011, 20:02   #56
BHPian

Friends, what's your opinion about the upcoming KTM Duke 200? Agreed- it's like a pineapple in this Apples to Oranges comparo. Still, it seems like a pretty good streetbike and looks like it's going to be a high quality and well finished product. Wonder when it's going to be launched and how it's going to be priced (1.2 lacs, maybe? heh)
I'm glad that the options in the 1 -2 lac range are slowly increasing.

Wish Triumph came out with a solid retro styled 500-600cc single (or a twin). RE sure could use some competition to improve their product quality and final finishing.
Old 31st October 2011, 11:03   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Friends, what's your opinion about the upcoming KTM Duke 200? Agreed- it's like a pineapple in this Apples to Oranges comparo. Still, it seems like a pretty good streetbike and looks like it's going to be a high quality and well finished product. Wonder when it's going to be launched and how it's going to be priced (1.2 lacs, maybe? heh)
I'm glad that the options in the 1 -2 lac range are slowly increasing.

Wish Triumph came out with a solid retro styled 500-600cc single (or a twin). RE sure could use some competition to improve their product quality and final finishing.
I sold my karizma to build funds for for the KTM 200. It will not be as refined as any other CBU available. It was supposed to be here this November, lets see how it goes. I dont think the price is going to be less than 1.6 lakh INR. The KTM Duke 350 is also planned for the end of next year, which will be the ideal bike for our conditions. Until then, the 200 will have to do. Don't expect great build quality, it will be good enough.

Any triumph 500-600 single/twin will not be priced anywhere near the Classic 500, so will never compete in terms of price. The only competition for RE's are other RE's. Electra's have been competing with Thunderbirds these past few years, now they compete with the C350 as well. There have been some upgrades to the C500 desert storm, a different front fork, different wheel rim sizes and some minor tweaks to the ECU, all in an effort to make the bike more stable when braking, and while hitting triple digit speeds. How successful these tweaks are, is something only a proper road test will reveal.

Last edited by sriku : 31st October 2011 at 11:08. Reason: missed a couple of points.
Old 31st October 2011, 12:09   #58
Senior - BHPian

I have come to know of a diesel enfield being relaunched and also a cafe racer design on the anvil. Any dates?
Old 31st October 2011, 12:16   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I have come to know of a diesel enfield being relaunched and also a cafe racer design on the anvil. Any dates?
The erstwhile Enfield Taurus (Diesel) was powered by a very crude, very noisy, very fuel effecient (when it ran) engine that put out 6 hp and a lot of smoke from the exhaust. My one ride on that monster was enough to convince me to erase it from my memory forever. Simply put, it was not worth the money, not worth the hassle of maintaining it, not worth the constant hammering your body would have to endure. I do not think RE will come out with another diesel, it seems contrary to the direction they are currently heading.

Will welcome a cafe racer though. It is about time.
Old 25th November 2011, 15:16   #60
J.Ravi

I am considering retiring my Suzuki Fiero and searching for suitable successor.

I like both RE DS and Honda CBR 250R ABS. Already I had test rides of RE Electra, DS and Honda CBR 250R ABS.

In the short test ride of DS I had yesterday in the busy afternoon traffic, I was taken aback by its power. The braking was superb. I had some difficulty in finding the neutral. I sourly missed the neutral-finder lever at RHS in the Bullets of yesteryear. The waiting period at HSR Agencies was 4 - 6 months. The test ride bike was nice and well-maintained.

After that I went to Planet Honda to test ride Honda CBR 250R ABS. I got the test ride bike after waiting for more than half-hour. The test ride bike was with a broken clutch-lever and without rear-view mirrors. When asked about the missing essential items, the person who accompanied me, replied that spares were not available! But, here also, I enjoyed the maximum speed that I could go in the busy traffic and awesome brakes. When I asked that person whether the cowl was to be removed for checking the coolant level in the radiator, he suggested me to go their exclusive service centre at 8th main, Basaveswara Nagar, who would help me in the matter!

Although I liked both the bikes, I was not comfortable with the crouching riding posture of Honda CBR 250R ABS, which might tilt the balance in favour of RE DS.

Most Viewed