Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2016, 15:59   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Has anyone lowered their handlebars? When I was in the market for a bike I liked how agile the CBR was also liked the refinement but the only thing that kept me from going for it was the not at all aggressive riding position. Anyway, more than happy with my RC 390, but was still wondering if such a mod is possible on bikes such as the CBR 250
Old 28th March 2016, 10:02   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Loosening the nuts on the clip-ons gives a push-pull movement to adjust. But the range is less than 3mm. Might help you.
I didn't do it enroute because I didn't want to make the bike unreliable.

That said, CBR is NOT the bike of choice for mad Spiti runs for sure.

Now I have severe handlebar palsy - all my fingers are tingling. This should go away with massage in a few days but it makes even typing on a computer much harder. Maybe this way i'll spend more time at home with my child and less on the net!
Old 19th April 2016, 11:30   #333
BHPian

Can we do alignment + balancing of CBR 250 wheels?
If yes, does anyone know a place where it can be done in Pune?
Old 26th May 2016, 10:28   #334
kat
BHPian

Hello All,
I am considering buying a 2014 used CBR 250 (non-ABS) which has run 28000 kms till date. I took a brief test drive of the bike and here are my observations:
1. Suspension is good and absorbs the bumps really well.
2. Temperature gauge never showed above 3 bars even when throttle was fully opened now and then - so I assume it is fine.
3. Engine was quite smooth and when I opened the throttle upto 8000 rpm, there was a good surge but it sounded a bit strained. Is this normal?
4. Gear shifts were quite smooth. Brakes felt ok as well.
5. Tyres were stock with some more tread left. What is the usual tyre change interval for the stock tyres?
6. When I moved up to 4th gear at around 35 kmph, I felt like there was a chain noise (the noise which comes when chain is loose). Is this normal? There was no such sound when driven normally.
Otherwise, the bike looks clean and well maintained. Could the long term CBR 250 owners pour in your thoughts?
Old 26th May 2016, 11:00   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Hello All,
I am considering buying a 2014 used CBR 250 (non-ABS) which has run 28000 kms till date. I took a brief test drive of the bike and here are my observations:

Otherwise, the bike looks clean and well maintained. Could the long term CBR 250 owners pour in your thoughts?

Quote:
2. Temperature gauge never showed above 3 bars even when throttle was fully opened now and then - so I assume it is fine.
Temperature gauge always shows 3 bars when the engine is working at optimum operating temperature. If it goes beyond 3 bars, you can understand that something's not right - most probably either the coolant has gone low or the radiator fan isn't working.

Quote:
3. Engine was quite smooth and when I opened the throttle upto 8000 rpm, there was a good surge but it sounded a bit strained. Is this normal?
Tricky to comment on this. You can ride another well maintained CBR and check. I'd say this is a rev happy motor, but gets throaty after 7000 RPM upto the redline.

Quote:
5. Tyres were stock with some more tread left. What is the usual tyre change interval for the stock tyres?
I am surprised the owner is happy on the stock tyres at 28K! I suggest get rid of those and switch to Michelin Pilot street radial to notice dramatic improvement in the way the bike behaves.

Quote:
6. When I moved up to 4th gear at around 35 kmph, I felt like there was a chain noise (the noise which comes when chain is loose). Is this normal?
There's no chain noise at any speed. So either the chain has too much slack and needs to be adjusted, or, is nearing end of adjustment range. You can have a mechanic check the adjustment range and also the life left on the sprocket. When you are at it, you can as well check the chain slider on the swing arm too.

Hope it helps! All the best.

PS: ABS is ALWAYS good to have.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 26th May 2016 at 11:02.
Added_flavor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 11:13   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Engine was quite smooth and when I opened the throttle upto 8000 rpm, there was a good surge but it sounded a bit strained. Is this normal?
Like most Japanese machines, the thing likes being revved. At the end of the day it is a single cyl motor and does start to growl at higher rpms.

Quote:
When I moved up to 4th gear at around 35 kmph, I felt like there was a chain noise (the noise which comes when chain is loose). Is this normal? There was no such sound when driven normally.
You might be up-shifting too early putting strain on the engine and causing it to jerk/knock as it struggles to deliver the power/torque required thus causing slack in the chain. Not sure just speculating. Although I did learn to ride on an FZ16 and then a friend's CBR 250r, I wouldn't know for sure whether you'd see healthy rpms at 35kmph in 4th since I mostly kept it on the boil

Get the bike checked out and inspected properly at the end of the day these problems could be due to overdue maintenance like lack of lubricating and adjusting of the chain or clogged air filter in the case of the strained feeling you are getting. If it is all just basic issues, then it's nothing that cannot be fixed easily Although if you are buying a used CBR250r, I'd recommend looking out for a bike with ABS since it is a pretty popular bike and it's not so hard to find one. Afterall when buying used, we must make the most out of depreciation to get a VFM deal and ABS is always a good thing to have.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 26th May 2016 at 11:24.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 11:35   #337
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Tricky to comment on this. You can ride another well maintained CBR and check. I'd say this is a rev happy motor, but gets throaty after 7000 RPM upto the redline.
Quote:
Like most Japanese machines, the thing likes being revved. At the end of the day it is a single cyl motor and does start to growl at higher rpms.
Yes, it sounded throaty . Throatier compared to my Jazz (not an apple to apple comparison, but then it's still a Honda for a motorbike newbie like me) when revved and hence my doubt.

Quote:
I am surprised the owner is happy on the stock tyres at 28K! I suggest get rid of those and switch to Michelin Pilot street radial to notice dramatic improvement in the way the bike behaves.
Yes, definitely on my consideration.

Quote:
There's no chain noise at any speed. So either the chain has too much slack and needs to be adjusted, or, is nearing end of adjustment range. You can have a mechanic check the adjustment range and also the life left on the sprocket. When you are at it, you can as well check the chain slider on the swing arm too.
I will get this checked.

Quote:
Yes, I was scouting for one, but couldn't find some good examples in my area. And this seemed to be pretty well maintained by the owner.

Quote:
You might be up-shifting too early putting strain on the engine and causing it to jerk/knock as it struggles to deliver the power/torque required thus causing slack in the chain. Not sure just speculating. Although I did learn to ride on an FZ16 and then a friend's CBR 250r, I wouldn't know for sure whether you'd see healthy rpms at 35kmph in 4th since I mostly kept it on the boil
If I remember correctly, there was no engine knocking or jerking when this noise was observed. But I will get this checked.

Quote:
Get the bike checked out and inspected properly at the end of the day these problems could be due to overdue maintenance like lack of lubricating and adjusting of the chain or clogged air filter in the case of the strained feeling you are getting.
The owner mentioned that the previous service was done in Honda ASC just a couple of months back. I will get it checked again.

And thanks a lot for your immediate suggestions
Old 26th May 2016, 18:01   #338
BHPian

Guys, My 2012 CBR's Light switch has failed and the local Honda Service Center (Ganpati Honda) and they don't have it in stock. Also, the surprising thing is that the entire Light Switch assembly has to be changed which costs about 4K. I am fine with that, but I don't have the time and the patience to follow-up with them and get it done at their Service Center which is a mess most of the time.

So my question is whether it is possible to do either of the following and how:
1. buy an original part online/somewhere else and get a local mechanic to do it or just DIY.
2. find a non-Honda service center who can do this in Gurgaon / NCR.
Old 26th May 2016, 19:44   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshb View Post
Guys, My 2012 CBR's Light switch has failed and the local Honda Service Center (Ganpati Honda) and they don't have it in stock. Also, the surprising thing is that the entire Light Switch assembly has to be changed which costs about 4K. I am fine with that, but I don't have the time and the patience to follow-up with them and get it done at their Service Center which is a mess most of the time.

So my question is whether it is possible to do either of the following and how:
1. buy an original part online/somewhere else and get a local mechanic to do it or just DIY.
2. find a non-Honda service center who can do this in Gurgaon / NCR.
OEM parts can be bought from Honda Authorized dealer in Karol Bagh. You can look for local mechanics there who can do the job for you. Do google for the Honda authorized spare parts dealer in Karol Bagh.
However, you can call up and check with V.D. Honda Mayapuri service center for part availability. I am very happy with the work done by them on my bike.

Quote:
Hello All,
1. Suspension is good and absorbs the bumps really well.
4. Gear shifts were quite smooth. Brakes felt ok as well.
6. When I moved up to 4th gear at around 35 kmph, I felt like there was a chain noise (the noise which comes when chain is loose). Is this normal? There was no such sound when driven normally.
I have bought used CBR 250 (named it Greyhound ) very recently from a friend. It had 18000 kms on the Odo. Just after purchasing it, I had to get the following work done (after getting it checked from Honda service center).

1. Rear disc pad change
2. Chain set change (there's a mark near the chain telling you whether it needs replacement or not).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-dsc_18341.jpg
3. Front Shocker oil change
4. Fork assembly greasing
5. Swing arm greasing
6. and some other minor work.

Do get the bike checked at Honda service center if possible. Tires generally last for 12k on CBR250 as per my knowledge so far. So bike running at 28000 kms on stock tyres looks doubtful but if it is, consider the tyre replacement cost in your budget.

My suggestion for you would be to go for ABS version since you will be running the bike every other day at 100 kmph (believe me you won't be feeling happy running it below that ) and poor brakes with such speed does not boost confidence.

In case you are not already aware, bike needs chain lubrication every 1000 kms and that can be easily done at home.

And last but not least, it's one hell of an awesome bike to ride and will bring smile on your face every time you turn the throttle.
rahulba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 21:20   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,
I am considering buying a 2014 used CBR 250 (non-ABS) which has run 28000 kms till date.. ?
The baby ceeber is one small bike with a lot of heart.
The early models had rusting issues especially the chain, bolts and the exhaust. I had a 2013 model and had to replace all these rusted parts after around 2 years. Apart from this minor issue the bike is bullet proof.
Agree with the comments on tyres, the stock contigo tyres are pathetic, please upgrade to a decent rubber like the michelin sport radial and you will be amaze by the handling on offer. The ABS model comes with Nissin branded brakes which are way better than the bybres on the standard model.
Another issue with older models of the 250 is with shims which needed frequent adjustment. Actually its not a problem but you will need a technically sound mechanic to adjust the shims to perfection, again I'm sure the 2014 onwards bikes dont have this issue.
To check for proper shim spec, rev the bike above 8k rpm and place your palm on the fuel tank, if you feel vibes it needs a shim job.
You really cant go wrong with the decision on buying this beauty. Wishing miles of happiness. :thumbup:
Mashblue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 09:59   #341
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Afterall when buying used, we must make the most out of depreciation to get a VFM deal and ABS is always a good thing to have.
Quote:
My suggestion for you would be to go for ABS version since you will be running the bike every other day at 100 kmph (believe me you won't be feeling happy running it below that ) and poor brakes with such speed does not boost confidence.
Quote:
The ABS model comes with Nissin branded brakes which are way better than the bybres on the standard model.
Thanks for your inputs. After a lot of thought, I decided to pass over this and try to find one with ABS in my region. My new HJC helmet and Alpinestars jacket/gloves need to wait for some more time .
Old 17th June 2016, 20:55   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
Considering the higher prices in Bangalore, I feel 1.1L INR is a pretty reasonable price for a 2012 model. Having a look at a couple of them over the weekend.
I looked at a 2012 ABS model as I am in the market for a used CBR.
I could find a couple of issues when I took a test drive, the engine sounded rough when I revved her to 7-8K rpm and the brakes were non-existant with the front brake lever feeling rough after the initial bite as is if there is sand stuck between the levers. On applying the rear brake, it was equivalent to a poor Yezdi's brake(Yezdi owners will know what I am getting at )On checking at the service centre, they told its due to the front fork oil leak which has spilled over to the front disc causing this issue(The combi braking of the rear pedal was the reason of poor braking via brake pedal). Neither of the disc pads have ever been replaced in the bike.
Do you guys feel this oil leak would have caused the issue or is there something more to the story?
Also, the service centre had only the last two services history with them, is there anyway I can get the complete history as he had serviced it in Udupi previously. Also, would the guys at Honda service centre(Ananda Honda Bommenahalli, Bangalore) do a check for the error codes or any other ECU related errors if I take the bike again to them?
I would really appreciate any inputs because I need to finalise the deal on Mon/Tue.

Thanks,
Roomy
Old 18th June 2016, 09:36   #343
Team-BHP Support

While the odo is still below 15K What service aspects to be kept in pen & paper while giving the bike for service post monsoon? Bike is '11 make and nothing has gone wrong.

Have changed the tires to Michelin and have got a coolant change.

I am planning to replace the chain and sprocket/s, change the front shock absorber oil, grease the rear monoshock as well as other lube/filter changes.

Anything else?
Old 18th June 2016, 11:27   #344
BHPian

Front Disc Query - ABS version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
The brakes were non-existant with the front brake lever feeling rough after the initial bite as is if there is sand stuck between the levers. On applying the rear brake, it was equivalent to a poor Yezdi's brake(Yezdi owners will know what I am getting at )On checking at the service centre, they told its due to the front fork oil leak which has spilled over to the front disc causing this issue(The combi braking of the rear pedal was the reason of poor braking via brake pedal). Neither of the disc pads have ever been replaced in the bike.
Do you guys feel this oil leak would have caused the issue or is there something more to the story?
Thanks,
Roomy
Hi
I was in a similar dilemma a few months back. I too was looking at a pre-owned example of a CBR (ABS) and the leaking front fork had caused the front disc to become slippery and affected braking. After I showed it to a experienced mechanic at the Honda Service Centre , he said that it'll go away after the front fork seals are replaced. I had the seals replaced and had the disc cleaned. The braking took a while to improve, but is now spot on. The ABS works as it should and there is never a heart-in-the-mouth moment. So rest assured, the ABS should work as advertised (at least it did, in my case).

Another interesting thing I noticed was that the front disc is always lightly touched by pads. I read a reply to a query in the CBR ownership thread in the XBHP forum and IIRC someone had posted that in the ABS versions, the front brake pads continue to lightly touch the disc till the ABS light goes off, which is when the pads distance themselves from the disc. I asked the same from a knowledgeable Honda SVC mechanic, and he said that a little touching for the pad is not uncommon. Does anyone have any info on this?

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 18th June 2016 at 11:31.
Ironhide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 16:02   #345
BHPian

Re: Front Disc Query - ABS version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
I had the seals replaced and had the disc cleaned. The braking took a while to improve, but is now spot on. The ABS works as it should and there is never a heart-in-the-mouth moment.
That's re assuring to know. I have heard that moving to the Motul fork oil works wonders for the soft front suspension, I would be going for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Another interesting thing I noticed was that the front disc is always lightly touched by pads.
I have heard the same, but only for the ABS models. As for the bike I had seen, the disc didnt seem unmolested, had lot of marks going over them most probably due to the reason mentioned above.

The shims havent been replaced ever and the service advisor at Ananda Honda seemed clueless about the same. Anyone has leads on a good independent garage in bangalore where I can get my work done without a fuss?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks