Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 19:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000

Damn! thats pretty expensive. Looks like they are targeting rich fathers who wants to give their daughter 18th birthday gift..

But again, there is hell lot of chrome in that scooter which looks class!
I feel overall its an OK bike. As in, its not going to sell like Activa or Access.
Old 26th April 2012, 20:04   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

- Vespa had its first coming in the two wheelers arena in 1960 with Vespa 150 and the Bajaj Auto Ltd collaboration.This one lasted till 1971 and the two parted ways.
- Its next coming was in 1982, with the Vespa XE and the Lohia Machines Ltd collaboration.This joint venture lasted till 1997 (I may be please corrected here) and they parted ways.
- This is again after a 20 year gap that it has ventured on its own in its 100% FDI Piaggio venture.
The first venture with Bajaj was the most successful, but there was a bitter court battle in the mid 1970's after they parted ways. Bajaj was marketing the Chetak in markets abroad, but Piaggio cited MOU clauses that prevented Bajaj from marketing Vespas abroad for a certain number of years.

Coming to this new Vespa 125, the looks are attractive,vintage Italian, retro and very, very Vespa like.
- The design is a welcome change from the lookalike CVT scooters that have been storming our market.
- The 125 cc/ 9.92 BHP @ 7,500 RPM.10.6 Nm torque @ 6000 RPM engine specs is also its USP, apart from its classic looks that will make this one quite powerful in its class.
- The build quality is expected to be solid and Italian
The minus points are:-
- the price at 66,661 (ex showroom, I believe) will shoot up to Rs 75 K as state excise, octroi ,RTO One Time Taxes and Insurance add up to the already high price tag.The price may undo this scooter sooner than later, but they expect to produce it @ 12,000 a month!
-the fuel consumption may also not be very frugal as compared to the Japanese ones. The CVT coupled with the 125 cc Italian engine may fail in the "aam aadmi" question stakes like "average kya hai?"Even at signals the rider will find himself facing many, many fellow traffic users posing this question for the initial months.
- the chrome all over is OK, but as is typical here in "Bharat" in many cases due to ill- maintenance, these will become dull and may also start rusting in coastal areas. So unless chrome shines, dull or rusted chrome spoils the looks.
-the front single shock is amusing, as Vespa still sticks to its 65 year old basic design, rather than take cues from modern technology viz. twin fork telescopic shocks for a better front wheel hold.
-The Aviator from Honda offers front disc brakes, costs about Rs 18 K less and has a 110 cc engine. This Vespa offers only drums on two wheels.
-The Japanese are shrewd in marketing and they may soon try to contain the Italian threat by offering more VFM features.
So only time will tell whether Vespa's third coming will leave any big imprint in the Indian market.The indicators are otherwise. God forbid, if this third coming bombs, Vespa must again prepare for its fourth coming after another 20 - 30 years !

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th April 2012 at 20:26.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 20:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

66 K for a scooter which looks more like a scooty. It is on higher side as compared to its look alikes already in the market...Any way I did not like it,it is nowhere near to its earlier ones of scooters in seventies.
Old 26th April 2012, 20:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nice Review!!!
You missed out pointing that the Front suspension is only on one side similar to previous gen scooters and to me it is very convenient while changing flat tyres but then it doesn't have spare wheel too.
The Black reminds me of Linea.
All in all a very good looking scooter but slightly overpriced.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 20:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
- Vespa had its first coming in the two wheelers arena in 1960 with Vespa 150 and the Bajaj Auto Ltd collaboration.This one lasted till 1971 and the two parted ways.
- Its next coming was in 1982, with the Vespa XE and the Lohia Machines Ltd collaboration.This joint venture lasted till 1997 (I may be please corrected here) and they parted ways.
In between, they also hooked up with a PSU..Andhra Pradesh Scooters (?) and that led to the launch of the slim Vespa PL170.

Last edited by Mpower : 26th April 2012 at 23:00.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 21:15   #21
BHPian

Thanks for such a detailed report.
this may pick up some sales majorly in metros and i would feel that is what the company's target would be - a niche market. OTR of approx. 70-72k in most cities has already killed the potential market.
any information on their plans to expand their service network? are these 50 dealerships in 35 cities operational as of yet?

Last edited by infotech58 : 26th April 2012 at 21:16.
Old 26th April 2012, 22:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was then informed that you need to push it to open it, only once the key is on the "off" mode.
That jeopardizes safety and becomes useful for only can-be-lost items like cleaning cloth.
Perhaps on the handle lock mode this also locks itself!
Old 26th April 2012, 23:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Disappointed! They should have provided front disc brakes and telescopic front suspension for that price.

Also, way too many badges and some bits on the scooter does look tacky. Maybe they will look better in person.

parrys, thanks for the very detailed report.
Old 26th April 2012, 23:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Great Pictures & coverage Parrys

I too find it too expensive for what is offered. I believe this will merely add an alternative to some one looking for change or for someone who is looking to a Buy a *Premium Scooter*

Other than the looks & the nostalgia associated with the Brand, this is just another scooter with features same or less than other scooters in Market for a higher price.
Old 27th April 2012, 00:09   #25
BHPian

Been to the showroom today. Staff out there were responsive. All the colors except dark blue and pink were on display. Did a test drive too.

Positives :
1. Bigger brakes compared to other scooters in the market. Works well.
2. You have clock!
3. Looks.

Negatives :
1. Doesn't feel like a 9 horses scooter.
2. Switches feel and look cheap.
3. Not enough boot space.
4. Front compartment can accommodate 2 300ml cans max.
5. Price!
6. Headlight throw isn't so good.
7. No disc!
8. Feels cramped.

I was keen at buying the lx300 but it's going to take a loooooong time for it to come to India. Sales guy says it/ll be 2013 mid by the time it comes to India. the LX150 will be launched some time around December.

Last edited by kingofmyworld : 27th April 2012 at 00:11.
kingofmyworld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 06:28   #26
BHPian

This has all the signs of bombing, not sure if Vespa's hopes are realistic. One would have thought that if they had access to the old tooling/dies and were able to bring modern technology to the old machine that the prices could be low, that doesnt seem to be the case. Even their range in europe is pretty uninspiring, basically just rehashing all the nostalgia; so its not as if we can expect better models in future from them. All that blingy chrome is gonna turn this into a rust bucket.

Once powerscooters from suzuki (eg burgman)/ yamaha start coming, then only will the premium segment get refreshed in the country. Thats sad because after all Vespa created this segment in India, but it doesnt look like it can take it forward anymore. Unless of course, Piaggio decides to bring in their other brands/models like Aprillia/Gilera or Xevo (which may not really gel with Vespa's identity)

Last edited by grazd : 27th April 2012 at 06:53. Reason: found new info
Old 27th April 2012, 08:10   #27
BHPian

Brilliant review and pictures. I was nostalgic for a moment and recalled days when i used to go tuitions on my Vespa Star (It was a Star of its times, even in a pale white colour )

This is one scooter i dont want to see a single scratch on. I would ride it less and keep it parked in my drawing room more, if i buy it someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverhick View Post
Drum brakes up-front, I remember seeing some images wherein the front brakes were discs.
+1. I was expecting disc brakes at this price point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
66 K for a scooter which looks more like a scooty.
Front discs and bigger fuel tank and a matching umbrella would have justified the price
DexterMorgan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 08:23   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

At this price the rebirth will soon result in early death!!!!

Seriously, after having a look at it ,I feel its definitely not worth the money. As mentioned before the switches look cheap

Also I felt the seating position to be uncomfortable for me . Feels like sitting in a auto seat
Old 27th April 2012, 08:56   #29
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the coverage and the beautiful pictures.
I am not really surprised with the pricing. This one have a cult following worldwide, and still looks every bit of a classic Vespa – more like how a Beetle or Mini cooper is in the car world.
It may not become a volume-seller, but it’s good for the Indian buyer to have this option available locally.
Old 27th April 2012, 09:12   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

When I recently went to a local BMW motorcycle dealer here in Arizona to look at the Royal Enfields he also sells I noticed he also sells Vespa's.

I wasn't interested in the Vespa's he had except I did notice the price tag that was hanging on one of them.

It was almost exactly the same as the new Royal Enfield Classic 500 he had sitting there on the show room floor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks