Re: Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000

Just to share some more details, I am attaching images of the brochure:
Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000-20120427_104234.jpg

Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000-20120427_104240.jpg
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 11:08   #32
BHPian

Great News! Looks like it will attract females more than males. I happened to show the pictures in this thread to my wife and the demand is on.

The one who has never rode a bike in her life is asking me to buy her one of these pretty looking machines. Looks like I will give-in to her demands soon.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 17:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Parry thanks for such a detailed and excellent Vespa thread.

I was actually looking forward to Vespa but these 3 points made me rethink about it.
  • Price Rs. 66K. How can it expect to have such a high cost compared to vis-a-vis Honda Activa the best seller. They shouldn't have so much of chrome on it in first place to keep cost low.
  • There is no side stand, which is utmost requirement. You cannot put it on mainstand when you go shopping or to a nearby place.
  • No foot rest for ladies who sit with both legs on one side.
My mother had recently booked Honda Activa for replacing our aging 1996 Kinetic Honda DX 98cc and I was suggesting her to have her booking changed to Vespa for its retro styling and exclusivity. But these 3 points made me not to ask her.

Edit: I think the best color on Vespa would be Midnight blue just like shadow blue on Vento. Highly exclusive for such a niche scooter.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 27th April 2012 at 17:56.
Old 27th April 2012, 17:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Maybe I need an eye checkup, but is there also an auto start option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Edit: I think the best color on Vespa would be Midnight blue just like shadow blue on Vento. Highly exclusive for such a niche scooter.
+1. I would also like a sky blue shade if the chrome dole out was less/ normal.
Old 27th April 2012, 18:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

I have seen all colour vespa scooters in their plant.
Its red colour that will rule the market.
Old 27th April 2012, 18:06   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

In my opinion, the Price of Rs. 72,000+ (on Road) is very much higher than Activa. Also it seems to me that retro looks may not appeal to young people. Activa & the new Suzuki Swish 125 have looks much better than newly launched Vespa. Infact Swish 125 in dual colours option looks absolutely killing.

In my opinion kick start of out of fashion & also not opted by Customers any more. People have now been to used to Self-Starting Activa's, Access & others bike.

I doubt the success of this scooter at the Prices currently offered.

Thanks,
Old 27th April 2012, 18:37   #37
BHPian

Overpriced but I would honestly love to get a black one, just to do this, . Definitely cheaper than Vespas in the UK, prices of the UK model here http://www.uk.vespa.com/#/vespa/UK/u...espa-LX-125-ie albeit with disc brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post

In my opinion kick start of out of fashion & also not opted by Customers any more. People have now been to used to Self-Starting Activa's, Access & others bike.

I doubt the success of this scooter at the Prices currently offered.

According to the pictures there is an electric start as well.

Last edited by akshayasok : 27th April 2012 at 19:00.
akshayasok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 18:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Auto start button very much present on the RHS just like all other bikes/scooters.
It is unthinkable in current scenario to launch a scooter w/o auto-start option.

Time to fix appointment with an ophthalmologist.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 18:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Great pictures . Thanks for sharing . Somehow , i have a mixed opinion on this one. The front looks nice but the rear looks unusually bulky . Also , for some strange reason i dont see the masses flocking to grab this one up. It looks more like a cool retro toy rather than a daily office commuter. Plus the game has moved on and for that money there are decent motorcycles that do the job well. Lets see how it goes for them.
Old 27th April 2012, 19:59   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
- Its next coming was in 1982, with the Vespa XE and the Lohia Machines Ltd collaboration.This joint venture lasted till 1997 (I may be please corrected here) and they parted ways.
MPower has rightly added information about APSL (A.P. Scooters Ltd, Patancheru,Hyderabad, the A.P. govt joint venture with Piaggio) that made Vespa PL 170, the 125 cc Vespa scooter starting around 1982.
So Vespa fresh after the US court battle with Bajaj, perhaps pipe-dreamed, with thoughts of annihilating Bajaj Auto in the 1980's from the Indian market scene and tried the double entry. The APSL Vespa PL 170 sales did not go places and the venture was abandoned within less than a decade. LML as we all know did quite well, competing with Bajaj, Priya and the Vijai (in its various avatars) scooters of the day.
The LML- Piaggio joint venture lasted till 1999, not 1997 as stated in my earlier post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
-the front single shock is amusing, as Vespa still sticks to its 65 year old basic design, rather than take cues from modern technology viz. twin fork telescopic shocks for a better front wheel hold.
-The Aviator from Honda offers front disc brakes, costs about Rs 18 K less and has a 110 cc engine. This Vespa offers only drums on two wheels.
Forgot to mention here, but as we all know the Aviator has twin telescopic front forks and so also the TVS Wega and the Suzuki Access.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 27th April 2012 at 20:00.
Old 27th April 2012, 20:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

I was so looking forward to the Vespa. After seeing the pictures, I was sold. After reading about the lack of what we might consider basic features (like external fuel filling, side stand) I had doubts.

Then I showed this thread to my wife.
All plans of buying this scooter are quashed. I was told quite curtly that if I had 70K, I can please put the money down on a Nano.

I think this scooter is a bit of a let down. The retro chic bit does not sit well with me, and it has no other redeeming features. And what if I did buy it, and some random mechanic pulls up next to me in an original Vespa? Which cost him maybe 5K? And I am in a pretend retro Vespa for which I paid 70K+?

If I want a Vespa, I will find one from the 60's and restore it.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 20:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Piaggio Vehicles Pvt. Ltd. - the wholly owned Indian subsidiary of the Italian Piaggio Group has launched the Vespa LX125 in India.
Price announced during launch: INR 66,661 Ex-showroom Maharashtra.
I am not sure how they have arrived at the pricing. I dont think many would be willing to shell out this kind of amount in this segment where we already have good products available at relatively less.

This would be the Beetle or Mini of scooters for a snob value.
Old 27th April 2012, 22:48   #43
BHPian

Probably we would be reading about another rebirth of Vespa in the year 2025 on Tbhp after this

Poor thought of Vespa in launching this product with glaring shortcomings. The review does not say anything about quality bits on it to justify the premium pricing. Are they thinking Indians will fall for this ?

The only USP seems to be the retro styling and chrome fittings.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 22:57   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats @parrys, what a detailed review with the pics.
But coming to the Vespa, love the design and retro feel, but it doesn't feel that much special to command such a high price while lacking in many essentials.
Old 27th April 2012, 23:36   #45
BHPian

Nice Writeup!

I too went to the showroom and took a lot of pictures. Took the test drive and was to put the writeup.

Although prices atleast 10-12k more, the Vespa looks stunning. The Activa/Aviator/Dio/Duro(aka kinetic Nova 135)/Access all look dull in front of it.

The drive is comfortable. Pickup is peppy for this 9bhp creature. You feel well planted on the seats. Brakes felt good for a sudden stop @ speeds of 60.

The most important aspect missed is the Stepny. With no Tubeless/Tuffup tyres, this is a sore point.

I am actually looking for a classic 2 wheeler and then get it done up with Jazz. Seeing this while going to work today I had almost made my mind to buy it. Thought it would be around 50k, however I would now wait for atleast a quarter to see the response. If good, would go for it, else would buy a 1970 Bajaj Chetak/Super and get a flashy glossy color.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks