Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2012, 19:26   #76
BHPian

Re: Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000

I was only replying to your query that 'who would the target audience be'

That it is overpriced by 10K is an open fact and I agree with you on that.

The features that you have mentioned above, if made available at this price would have made it a fantastic buy.
Old 12th May 2012, 23:03   #77
BHPian

Guys, let me put some thought for all those who think Vespa pricing is gone through roof

I remember 2-3 years back when Nokia was synonym for mobile handset in India, iPhones so called expensive pricing was sure to be failure in India, specially when it wasn't offering few great features which Nokia and Samsung had subsidised
Believe me guys, My 10 k HTC had few more features than my current iPhone 4S, put it's not just about the bundled features but the aspiration to own the status symbol, which is driving the Premium products, and in my opinion there can't be reasonable premium product, there is a stretch which you overcome and own it
Frankly speaking to me Honda City is better engineered product than BMW, but BMW is a statement, and it can't be marginally expensive, then there is no striving to reach there

Rational thinking can never make you proud owner of such statements, I don't think the rich class owns the iPhone, but the class running behind aspirations buy it, it's a mindset which is targeted, which drives the stronger need of differentiation
I think Vespa is right there where it should be to target the aspiration and fulfill the strong need of differentiation, time will prove it but I would like to believe iPhone story is getting repeated
Watch it
Santy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 15:50   #78
BHPian

At the ex-showroom price of 66 grand, Vespa's charging a 20-grand premium for classic looks. Comparable scooters like Activa and Wego are almost 20-grand cheaper. If people still go out and buy it, good for them. But it'd have been better if Vespa used the classic appeal to attract more buyers rather than make more money per nostalgic buyer.
abybabykcc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 12:05   #79
Senior - BHPian

I think the Vespa is priced alright. If you need a different looking status symbol scooter, purely for looking cool when riding to the pub it fits the bill. Also with the 80k on road pricing not every tom dick and harry would have one, so exclusivity guranteed!... Almost all companies do it, when they have the first mover advantage. Remember the first Bajaj Eliminator? 95k on road pricing in early 2000!!! now if that was not overpriced, then what was?

Vespa is meant for the high earning crowd for whom 80k is half a month takehome, who would pay by cash and use the scooter as a weekend cool ride
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 10:52   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
...Also with the 80k on road pricing not every tom dick and harry would have one, so exclusivity guranteed!...
I'd rather the exclusivity came from being a premium product than just offering premium pricing. For exclusivity, they could and should've launched the 250 and 500 cc stablemates of the LX125. These would inherently be more expensive as their production costs would be higher, but the buyer would have got value for money. By slotting the LX 125, which is essentially a ride for the comman man, in the 80-grand on-road price range, Piaggio may have inadvertantly killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.
Old 15th May 2012, 19:29   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abybabykcc View Post
I'd rather the exclusivity came from being a premium product than just offering premium pricing. For exclusivity, they could and should've launched the 250 and 500 cc stablemates of the LX125. These would inherently be more expensive as their production costs would be higher, but the buyer would have got value for money. By slotting the LX 125, which is essentially a ride for the comman man, in the 80-grand on-road price range, Piaggio may have inadvertantly killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.
Precisely my point!! A exclusive product need not be high performance or give you perceived value for money (ex 500cc engine for 80k). An everyday product, which is branded in such a way people are 'ready' to pay a price for that 'premiumness' Best example the IPhone or the iPad
Vespa's India iteration is never meant for the common man. It is presented as a lifestyle product for poser value. No need for it to have tremendous acceleration, super scooter abilities
Old 15th May 2012, 19:55   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santy View Post
I think Vespa is right there where it should be to target the aspiration and fulfill the strong need of differentiation, time will prove it but I would like to believe iPhone story is getting repeated
Watch it
I really like your example of the i-phone and how its become a status symbol and an aspirational product but I'm not sure if its a suitable analogy.

Keep in mind that a typical scooter buyer is one that is still not ready/able to afford a car yet (which is the ultimate aspiration).

If I can take you back to the late 90s, its kinda like buying a pager because you still cant afford a mobile phone . Rather than buying a super expensive pager, most would rather save up for a phone.

Some already have a car but drive a scoot to make quicker progress thru traffic and/or lower fuel bills, it which case a scoot is just a tool. Case study of the Kinetic Blaze should really be looked into here.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 21:56   #83
BHPian

I saw the vespa at the showroom and booked one for a family member - I know there are a lot of guys fighting over pricing and the finer details, but as I saw the scooter - it was without a doubt feminine - I doubt guys would even want to ride this new vespa on a regular basis.

The two colors that the vespa looked sufficiently different from other vehicles is in red and yellow and both are too stark to be carried off well by guys.

I booked it because irrespective of the price, it was one of the vehicles that had a personality (not because I come from liking vespas), but even women can seemingly identify with it.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:51   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Keep in mind that a typical scooter buyer is one that is still not ready/able to afford a car yet (which is the ultimate aspiration).

If I can take you back to the late 90s, its kinda like buying a pager because you still cant afford a mobile phone . Rather than buying a super expensive pager, most would rather save up for a phone.

Some already have a car but drive a scoot to make quicker progress thru traffic and/or lower fuel bills, it which case a scoot is just a tool. Case study of the Kinetic Blaze should really be looked into here.
Interesting analogy Sir!. What i meant to say was Vespa i believe, is never intended for the common man who wants a scooter now because he cant afford a car. Vespa is meant for a young DINK couple who have a car if not two and who need a cool toy to tinker about town on weekends. Also a cool toy to flash for the college teen who needs to be different. Regarding the Blaze, it evoked a lot of interest when launched, ultimately it was too crude to hold interest of the yupiee crowd.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 13:35   #85
Senior - BHPian

I have acquired the Vespa Helmet from the company,which is desiged in Italy under the collaboration of AGV and costs Rs.4100.To me this helmet is a piece of art and will go very well with the Vespa LX 125.
I know that 4k for a helmet is way high,but an original from Italian stable will not come cheap.
Incidentally the Black Vespa helmet costs Rs.4900.
Attached Thumbnails
Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000-541174_10150839660513300_740278299_9828195_1119345716_n.jpg  

Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000-556959_10150839660413300_740278299_9828194_776041562_n.jpg  

Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000-564349_10150839660253300_740278299_9828193_528639817_n.jpg  

Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000-533288_10150839660638300_740278299_9828196_546639141_n.jpg  

Last edited by hillram : 18th May 2012 at 13:42.
hillram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 19:53   #86
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Apologies for the OT:

Where is the Vespa Dealer in Bangalore?

How much is the Vespa likely to cost OTR BLR?

Do they have an Auto option or do they all come with Manual Hand Gears?
Old 25th July 2012, 19:58   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
Apologies for the OT:

Vespa dealer in Bangalore is in Rajajinagar just before hyundai showroom. It is the road that comes straight from Orion mall towards Rajajinagar. Also one near Christ college koramangala.

OTR Bangalore should be above 80k inr.

Its Auto option just like the Activa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram
I have acquired the Vespa Helmet from the company,which is desiged in Italy under the collaboration of AGV and costs Rs.4100.To me this helmet is a piece of art and will go very well with the Vespa LX 125.
I know that 4k for a helmet is way high,but an original from Italian stable will not come cheap.
Incidentally the Black Vespa helmet costs Rs.4900.
Sir thats one supercool piece of safety gear you have there. Im just Wow looking at it. Do they have only black and yellow helmet?

One thing i noticed is its just designed by AGV and not manufactured by them but by some Indian firm. I hope it went through all the mandatory QCs and not Vespa trying to add premium prices to Indian made equipment. They may have got the copyrights thats all I think.

Once again I can just say WoW. Whatever it maybe, the helmet looks crazy cool.

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th July 2012 at 01:09.
Old 25th July 2012, 20:48   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
Apologies for the OT:

There is a dealer called Falcon on the ring road, Banashankari 3rd stage, next to the Hosakerehalli signal.
Old 26th July 2012, 09:30   #89
BHPian

I went to a Vespa dealer last day. For the first time, I found an elegant and classy two-wheeler which is consistent with its premium positioning. Ultimately, it seems like the premium image is not restricted to the price tag alone but also to the presentation, personnel etc. That, to me, is very important.
Old 4th August 2012, 19:31   #90

I was planning to buy a two-wheeler (which implies a scooty, me being a woman) and wanted something different from the usual scooty peps. I was looking forward to the new Vespa, despite the 66k+ price tag, but after seeing the images, I'm doubtful. I've got mixed feelings, is it because that's all a scooter can offer in terms of looks, or is this Vespa not just retro enough? Guess I gotta check it out in person and see if the impression changes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks