Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2013, 12:36   #61
BHPian

Re: Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS : Ownership Review, 2200 Kms

PLEASE NOTE:
ODO Reading : 4975 Kms
Days of Ownership : 138
Service History : 1st Service at 499 Kms, 2nd Complimentary Service Due
Longest Ride : 704 Kms (Solo | Bangalore-Tirupati-Bangalore) | TRIP REPORT COMING SOON!!
Consumption (City) : 32 Kmpl
Consumption (Highway Cruise @ 80-85 Kmph) : 39 Kmpl
Consumption (Highway Cruise @ 130-135 Kmph) : 34 Kmpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
Vibrations, harshness from the engine. mileage reduced.
Ok, first things first. I haven't felt any of these to be oppressive enough to be a deal breaker.

Let us consider some things revv_maniac. The 200NS costs about 1L on road, so you'd definitely expect it to have some things missing from the kitty of the more expensive offerings, read FI, Inverted Shocks, etc.

Usual vibrations are present, however nothing out of the ordinary and nothing too harsh. The handlebars are well padded, the rider saddle is comfortable and the quality of fit and finish is a notch above usual Bajaj standards. I can say this because I have owned a Pulsar 150 UG3 before the 200NS.

Engine is not harsh, however the throttle response becomes a bit jittery when you decelerate and accelerate from speeds above 135-140. Acceleration becomes linear after a fraction of second though. This may be an issue due to a choked carburetor.

I am not too concerned about mileage as far as it remains reliable, till now no issues of unreliability can be reported, atleast on my bike. I have been getting steady mileage, and with my kind of riding above 6K shifts and a hard wound right wrist, I am more than happy with the tradeoff of FE vs Power.

Quote:
Main thing – speed attained at an RPM earlier demands a higher RPM to reach the same speed and same gear.
This I haven't faced yet, hope not to either. This may be an issue with the clutch plate. Bikes which have not been run-in properly may give rise to such a flaw.

Some figures for my bike:
Idling : 1200-1400 RPM
6th Gear : 72Kmph @ 5000 RPM
6th Gear : 100 Kmph @ 6800 RPM

Biking Gurus in the forum, please pour in your views.

Quote:
All that I'm worried about is the engine, gear box its refinement and long term reliability, want to know about the niggles apart from the tyres.
The tyres aren't a niggle at all. Infact they will hold up pretty long enough for everyday riding, if there are no manufacturing defects.
The TVS eurogrips bursting on a 200NS has been reported but I do not have any evidence to support the same.

As far as engine refinement is concerned, I think, it is as good as whatever is out there.
Just make sure that there is enough engine oil and coolant. Carbed engine needs to be choked before bike starts every morning.

However, I am not very sure of the triple-spark technology on the 200NS. The triple spark has got the maximum amount of mixed feelings from people all over the country. A lot of forums and review reading led me to come to this conclusion. Ideally, a 200cc combustion chamber does not require anything more than a single plug to efficiently ignite the air-fuel mixture, if the engine design is competent enough. Addition of a second spark plug may help things a little bit more, but a 3rd spark plug is either a marketing gimmick or the outcome of lazy engine designing. Some have even gone on to say that the 3rd spark plug is purely non-functional and just for show!

Gearshifts are smooth, and becomes even smoother on a highway run. However, the chain tension needs to be checked at regular intervals. Checked the sprockets, show no sign of wear yet.

Quote:
A bunch of biking enthusiasts in Chennai waiting to grab the 200NS after confirmation.
Whats there to confirm mate? If people have their heart set on the 200NS, let them get it. Its a good overall bike, a competent urban roundabout as well as a sorted tourer.

Quote:
Any news about Bajaj launching a new version 200NS with EFI , that you heard in the showrooms or SVCs ? Or at least an updated 200NS engine wise to fix the 3 spark plug tuning issues.
News, News and more News revv_maniac!
Yes, a lot of rumors are doing rounds.
A 200NS with FI, with FI+ABS, as well as a fully faired Pulsar 375, in line with the Duke 390.
Rumors even suggest that the current 200NS owners can upgrade to the new tech.
However I am absolutely certain that, that wont be a feasible upgrade even if Bajaj finally man upto it. Upgrading the current 200NS with the new tech kit, will require a lot of upgrades; its not going to be like a hot-swap memory card on a poorman's nokia!

Last edited by preetam_KORG : 6th February 2013 at 12:39.
preetam_KORG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 23:42   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by preetam_KORG View Post
PLEASE NOTE:

News, News and more News revv_maniac!
Yes, a lot of rumors are doing rounds.
A 200NS with FI, with FI+ABS, as well as a fully faired Pulsar 375, in line with the Duke 390.
Rumors even suggest that the current 200NS owners can upgrade to the new tech.
However I am absolutely certain that, that wont be a feasible upgrade even if Bajaj finally man upto it. Upgrading the current 200NS with the new tech kit, will require a lot of upgrades; its not going to be like a hot-swap memory card on a poorman's nokia!
Great report and thank you for the detailed reply.

Actually i do not mind to spend a 10K extra to have EFI in the 200NS, that is why I was trying to gather as much info about any upgrades coming up.

As we are aware that KTM (Bajaj) is constantly improving the product based on customer feedback's. I was hoping the same for 200NS.

As far as I have heard, more than 50% of the owners had issues, niggles or gripes with the 200NS. I loved the bike and much comfortable with its NVH. In fact I do not like an electric motor like refinement in bikes, I prefer to feel the engine rather being disconnected as I am upgrading from a Rx 135 5-speed that I have worshiped for the past 10 years. It is up for sale now for the down payment of my 200NS, Yes, I have finalized on the bike.

I did not find any other bike within 1 lac rupees that could match my Rx 135 5 speed's sprint in the city, nimble handling and aural pleasure of 2 strokes. It was DUKE which was as close as the Rx but the suspension drove me away from it. Other strong contender was Hero Impulse, if only it had a 225cc from the Karizma or an altogether new 200cc engine in it.

anyways, Big shout out for you

Thanx.

A fellow biking enthusiast.
Old 7th February 2013, 11:20   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was DUKE which was as close as the Rx but the suspension drove me away from it.
Hi, can you please elaborate on what it was about the Duke suspension that you did not like?

Especially since you have picked the NS, which has much lower spec kit suspension-wise.
Old 7th February 2013, 16:08   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Hi, can you please elaborate on what it was about the Duke suspension that you did not like?
Secretly, I knew you'd comment, so did not touch that part!
Old 7th February 2013, 17:31   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Secretly, I knew you'd comment, so did not touch that part!
Ok .... but I really would like to know what you felt about the suspension.

A lot of my early feedback to the KTM team was on the same.
Old 7th February 2013, 18:29   #66
BHPian

Quote:

Especially since you have picked the NS, which has much lower spec kit suspension-wise.

Hello Dr, We have spoken earlier on ur awesome Duke thread.
The Mono shock of Duke's is the hardest i have ever felt apart from Rx's heavy duty suspension. I considered Impulse only for its suspension and moto cross style. 16 yrs of riding bikes on all kinda terrain has its toll on my lower back spine, so need something that has a supple ride but not at the cost of handling. that's why chose 200NS over the Duke even though it would be a bit of stretch for me, Duke's 145K On road chennai over P200NS's 98K on road.

I wish the Impulse had a powerful engine or the Duke had a better suspension like in R15.

Duke, P200Ns and Impulse owners can share their inputs alike.

@ Preetam : sorry for diluting your thread with my needs, still P200NS is a strong contender and would like to hear from more P200Ns owners.

Thanx.

Last edited by revv_maniac : 7th February 2013 at 18:38.
Old 7th February 2013, 20:12   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Dr, We have spoken earlier on ur awesome Duke thread.
The Mono shock of Duke's is the hardest i have ever felt apart from Rx's heavy duty suspension. I considered Impulse only for its suspension and moto cross style. 16 yrs of riding bikes on all kinda terrain has its toll on my lower back spine, so need something that has a supple ride but not at the cost of handling. that's why chose 200NS over the Duke even though it would be a bit of stretch for me, Duke's 145K On road chennai over P200NS's 98K on road.
Bro I am truly at a loss to understand this. I am sure 100% of all Duke riders here are.

Because if anything the stock factory #3 setting of the rear monoshock is way too soft for anyone even slightly big boned.

I am currently on #6 and on the way to Goa and back, loaded with saddlebags, there were stretches where even that setting was bobbing more than I would have liked.

But #7 solo might be to hard. Don't know till I try. I know friends of mine (owners of IndiMotard) have gone all the way up to 8-9-10 as well on their Dukes.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 21:08   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Ok .... but I really would like to know what you felt about the suspension.
I haven't ridden a Duke 200 long enough to understand the suspension.
However I can safely say that the suspension on my bike is still in factory setting and is good enough for a solo ride, but its bone jarring for the pillion. I dont know if its as stiff on the KTM or different.
Old 11th February 2013, 14:42   #69
BHPian

Quote:
I have always measured the mileage with a full tank to reserve capacity (9.5 litres - 9.8 litres) and have always clocked about 300 odd kilometres (5% more or less) with that amount of fuel. Are there any more 200NS users who can really tell me what they have been getting on their bikes.

Cheers
Preetam
I have done around 7000 kms on my NS and getting a consistent mileage of around 35-40 in city and 45-50 on the highway.I feel idling the engine every morning and warming up the engine for 1-2 mins helps a lot.Also,over short distances the mileage is affected adversely.Though there are people reporting their mileage somewhere around you figure in my group
Old 11th February 2013, 15:18   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
I have done around 7000 kms on my NS and getting a consistent mileage of around 35-40 in city and 45-50 on the highway.I feel idling the engine every morning and warming up the engine for 1-2 mins helps a lot.Also,over short distances the mileage is affected adversely.Though there are people reporting their mileage somewhere around you figure in my group

Thanks Incontrol!
However I have never seen those figures come up with my bike... It depends a lot on riding style and gear shifting patters which frankly I am no master of! But then again, to each his own I guess!
preetam_KORG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 10:00   #71
BHPian

Quote:
My bike has now done about 4000 kms.

From common consensus I have found that the 200 NS is regularly giving 38-40 in city runs, as well as 45-50 kpl claims for highways.
However, this is sadly not the case for me. My bike has been giving about 30-32 in the city and haven't really had a chance to take her out on a highway. From whatever short rides I've done, I have never seen 35+ on her.

I have always measured the mileage with a full tank to reserve capacity (9.5 litres - 9.8 litres) and have always clocked about 300 odd kilometres (5% more or less) with that amount of fuel. Are there any more 200NS users who can really tell me what they have been getting on their bikes.

I have tried all possible rev ranges to curb consumption, have ridden between 3K-4K rpm, changing up at 4.5K rpm all the time for a full tank, I tell you this has been the most arduous task for me till date! .

Strangely enough the mileage seems to get better with runs in between 5-6k rpm, which I have also done with a full tank, thankfully that wasn't as arduous as the former task!

Please let me know if anyone has found the same phenomenon, and if so, any possible explanation to the same!

Cheers
Preetam
I have cleared about 2000Kms. My last 2 tank full method mileage check gave me 39 kms/l(mixed city riding) and 44 km/l( very carefull riding of keeping it at 55 kms/hr). What I find annoying is that by law most places in bangalore you cant go beyond 50kms/hr.

Did you get your bike checked for the new gourmets to reduce the vibrations?

I read about the triple spark tech, As far as i understood it was something done to reduce the cost of the catalytic converter( its super small in the NS). Keeping the emissions in check.

I had a chance recently to ride a duke for a long time (the duker wanted to see how the NS fared against his bike). The seat is harder but since the NS is on the 2nd softest setting when it came to pot holes it was more comfortable, this is not say that the duke broke your back. Compared to the Duke the NS was mild manner person vs a Thug. Somehow I am not sure how I can explain it but the Duke did make me feel like a pro rider throwing the bike around. I am not sure if it was because I have always had a fear of the NS's tires and the story associated with it. Also the feedback from the bike was amazing, you knew what everything in the bike was doing.
The Duker told me he wasn't impressed primarily because the NS is so well mannered and quiet. He was praising the breaks though.

Last edited by twinblades : 12th February 2013 at 10:25. Reason: adding more infor
twinblades is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 12:25   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblades View Post
Did you get your bike checked for the new gourmets to reduce the vibrations?
Yes twinblades, I got them replaced at 2500 Kms, however they haven't done much to reduce vibes!

Quote:
I read about the triple spark tech, As far as i understood it was something done to reduce the cost of the catalytic converter( its super small in the NS). Keeping the emissions in check.
So much for emissions! But I have absolutely no idea how it really works. Can you give me a link where it is clearly described?

Quote:
I had a chance recently to ride a duke for a long time (the duker wanted to see how the NS fared against his bike). The seat is harder but since the NS is on the 2nd softest setting when it came to pot holes it was more comfortable, this is not say that the duke broke your back. Compared to the Duke the NS was mild manner person vs a Thug.
Somehow I am not sure how I can explain it but the Duke did make me feel like a pro rider throwing the bike around. I am not sure if it was because I have always had a fear of the NS's tires and the story associated with it. Also the feedback from the bike was amazing, you knew what everything in the bike was doing.
I somewhat disagree here. I felt that the Pulsar was more unrefined in terms of everything, so I was having to do most of the work. The Duke feels brilliant in terms of everything tangible, but in the small intangible ways, the Pulsar makes me feel better. So what I am saying is, the 200 NS is better because it is worse. I know its diplomatic and confusing but that is the way I see it!

Quote:
The Duker told me he wasn't impressed primarily because the NS is so well mannered and quiet. He was praising the breaks though.
The NS has good brakes, but the rear brakes are not well graded, its more on-off. The front brakes are excellent with very well controlled nose-dives, and coupled with my Pirellis, I haven't seen them skid off ever.
Old 13th February 2013, 12:42   #73
BHPian

This was an article which was linked in a different Forum
http://www.2wheelsindia.com/2012/07/...WheelsIndia%29

I was always worried because there were so many holes in this cylinder.

My friends Dukes did not have a oil change for nearly 7000kms (running on DTSi oil) prolly thats why it felt more RAW. But there is one aspect which will remain on the duke regardless of whether it was serviced or not. When wring that throttle the recoil you feel is too much compared to the NS. Hence the drama that people talk about.
Old 13th February 2013, 19:41   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblades View Post
This was an article which was linked in a different Forum
http://www.2wheelsindia.com/2012/07/...WheelsIndia%29

I was always worried because there were so many holes in this cylinder.

My friends Dukes did not have a oil change for nearly 7000kms (running on DTSi oil) prolly thats why it felt more RAW. But there is one aspect which will remain on the duke regardless of whether it was serviced or not. When wring that throttle the recoil you feel is too much compared to the NS. Hence the drama that people talk about.
Absolutely twinblades! The throttle response on the duke is immediate in a "oh so maniacal way!"
But both these bikes have one problem, and that is immediate low end torque. I still stall almost regularly!
Old 21st March 2013, 00:57   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely twinblades! The throttle response on the duke is immediate in a "oh so maniacal way!"
But both these bikes have one problem, and that is immediate low end torque. I still stall almost regularly!
Hi Preetam ,

Any updates on the bike, let us know how is the 200 Ns faring so far !

Thanks,
Revv

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks