Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2024, 14:53   #571
BHPian

Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Hi all. I have recently bought a Bullet 350 Std 2024 and I am enjoying my time getting back to motorcycling.

I am going to get Viaterra water proof saddle bags. I understand these are among the best entry level bags. I tried looking up saddle stays but seem to have missed out on the good ones. Are there any recommendations for saddle stays?

Can you suggest where I should get stays? Is it really necessary to get stays? I noticed that the saree guard does a good job of keeping things aways from the rear wheel, so maybe I can get by without using the stays. Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th March 2024 at 15:38. Reason: Para spacing.
Old 17th March 2024, 15:37   #572
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I have been thinking of a mix of hard and soft luggage system for the bike with a hard top box and the soft luggage on the saddle. Two options I have zeroed on:
Nelson Rigg Hurricane
A hard top box and semi rigid side panniers are a good combo. Valuable stuff can stay locked in the top box that way if touring long.

I don’t know about Dirtsack but a friend who road trips a lot with his wife (on a GS 1250) uses a SWM top box and Nelson Rigg soft side cases. The latter is a good balance of high quality sensible cost option. I don’t know which specific model he has but it’s a pretty similar looking one. This combo should serve you well. They’re water proof too I believe.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 16:01   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
How do you deal with riding boots once you are at your destination? I can think of few routes:

4) Any other way which forum members are managing.
Not sure what bike you use and what boots you use, but I understand today a lot of touring boots can used all day.

Earlier, when I was touring on my 1st gen Duke 390, I used to have the following options:
  1. High rise waterproof trekking shoes. This is what I used to use - https://www.cmpsport.com/ww/men-s-dh...-boots-30q4717
  2. High ankle leather boots for in city riding. Something like this -

Now I have just bought this for incity riding for the tiger - https://www.amazon.in/Royal-Enfield-.../dp/B0BQYG78X7
p.s: Something like this could be a good bet for long distance touring - https://superbikestore.in/collection...32107376377954

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th March 2024 at 19:05. Reason: Clean up edits.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 17:32   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
This is such a great thread with so much valuable information. Sincere thanks to all.

I couldn't locate this question - hence asking here: How do you deal with riding boots once you are at your destination? I can think of few routes:

4) Any other way which forum members are managing.
Let them dry out in the hotel room, and wear a light pair of sneakers you pack for city hopping (and going to the toilet of dicey lodges).

Never waste the soles of specialized riding shoes (motorcycle or cycle) by walking in them. We are no(longer)t cowboys.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 17:46   #575
BHPian

Thanks, MileCruncher and Doc for the advice!

MileCruncher - I wear boots that go well above the shins. Bad experience from an earlier accident where I hurt the shin bone. Hence, walking in those gets inconvenient.

Doc - your advice makes sense. Best to just let it breathe in the room. Also helps it stay ventilated.

Thanks again!
Aragorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 13:56   #576
BHPian

Hi All, I am planning for a 5-6 day trip to goa and it being my first long trip I am unsure of how to pack the luggage and how much to take with me. I don't like to load my bike with lot of luggage and want to get the wisdom of the people of this forum who have been doing these kinds of rides for a long time. How do you guys suggest me to plan my luggage and which bags to get? I don't want to add any saddle stays or top rack on my bike and would prefer some tail bags, would 30 lts be enough to pack everything for 5-6 days including clothes, extra pair of shoes, slippers, etc.? If not, what would be the right amount for a single guy?
Old 21st March 2024, 14:17   #577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarn View Post
How do you guys suggest me to plan my luggage and which bags to get? I don't want to add any saddle stays or top rack on my bike and would prefer some tail bags, would 30 lts be enough to pack everything for 5-6 days including clothes, extra pair of shoes, slippers, etc.? If not, what would be the right amount for a single guy?
You’ve not mentioned what distance you’re riding and what bike you’re using (latter may be more relevant). I think any 30 - 50 ltrs should be more than enough (it is Goa after all).

First rule, pack light and only essentials. Drifit and easy to wash and wear is a bonus. Instead of carrying 6-8 tees easier to carry 2 - 3 drifit type tees. No reason why any 30 ltr bike also should not be more than enough. If this is your first trip, perhaps consider using a solid bungee solution to any tail bag style bag that fits your luggage. Once you’ve got a sense of whether this works you can invest in suitable luggage solution for your future trips.

If you still want to buy a proper bag you can consider options from Carbonado, Viaterra or Nelson Rigg as per preference on the entry level of quality gear. You can also check out Kriega if you want a high quality long term solution. But for a one off trip, I can guarantee any decent quality existing gym bag or similar with a strong bungee set up will suffice just as well.

This page has options from several of the above. The Viaterra Claw Mini in particular may be a good starting point for the Duke 390.

https://www.lazyassbikers.com/collec...aint=tail-bags

Some additional tips.
- Definitely over bungee and carry a few spare bungees. Nothing like a damaged bungee cord half way during a ride to create disproportionate inconvenience.

- Try and cover the bag with a rain proof cover before you bungee it. This will also ensure that your bag reaches clean. The rain proof cover is easy to clean standalone and quick to dry as well. Brightly colored covers are preferable as they improve the visibility of your bike overall to cars tailing you. Amazon has some good options of such covers, classified in ltrs.

- Consider carrying a small, light and foldable back pack within your bag which you can use while in Goa as a back pack while riding around.

EDIT: Please also search YouTube for some packing videos. They make some good suggestions on how to pack in a compact manner. If you use a shoe bag and are going the bungee way, the shoe bag (with a pair of shoes and slippers each) can actually be bungeed outside your 30L bag creating a little more crucial space for stuff you’re packing inside the bag.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st March 2024 at 14:28. Reason: Added some links as suggestions.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 14:19   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
You’ve not mentioned what distance you’re riding and what bike you’re using (latter may be more relevant).
I would be riding from Bangalore to Goa around 600KM one side in my 2024 Duke 390.
scarn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 20:28   #579

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarn View Post
I would be riding from Bangalore to Goa around 600KM one side in my 2024 Duke 390.
If you don't plan to regularly do multiday rides, a bag specific for motorcycle may not be worth it. Just use a regular duffel tied down with bungee/ropes.

I recently went to Goa from Bangalore, and took a 25L tail bag. Easily fit 2 pants, shorts, 4 T/Shirts, 1 pair shoes and other stuff.
tasty911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 22:01   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Has anyone here bought Dirtsack luggage?

I have been thinking of a mix of hard and soft luggage system for the bike with a hard top box and the soft luggage on the saddle. Two options I have zeroed on:
  1. Nelson Rigg Hurricane
And finally it is done!

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-whatsapp-image-20240323-21.57.46_84b9b50b.jpg

Ready for a ride!
MileCruncher is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks