Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2022, 01:23   #466
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Guess what! We have been racking our brains so hard - seems like Givi already has a solution for it.

The Givi Seatlock S430. I remember seeing a video of this Seatlock last year when Givi had showcased this at EICMA 2019. I did remember searching for this on the Givi website too, but it wasnt available. can now see it available at a member of online portals. Will be ordering one soon
Cross posting from my Ex-Tiger thread. Although I let go of the Tiger, i retained the luggage bags i had - the Nelson Riggs CL1060-S Sport Tail bag and the Givi ST602 Tanklock bag.

The Nelson Riggs is a strapon tail bag that can fit onto any motorcycle with any type of seat. The Givi Tanklock bag is a softball that fits onto the fuel tank ring with bike specific locking mechanism. Since i could not use this on the Xpulse with a tank locking mechanism , i decided to order the Givi S430 Seatlock Mechanism.

And here it is, ordered through Bikenbiker.com. Cost Rs 2699
Delivery Rs 250
Total Cost Rs 2949
Order was placed on 7th May and delivered on 13th May.

Will be fitting it on the Xpulse seat tomorrow. I was also wondering if i could bolt it on the Xpulse rack, it would be like a permanent Seatlock. Still thinking, any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20220513232031.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20220513232303.jpg  

v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 02:20   #467
Senior - BHPian

I'm using this as a seat lock for the Givi bag on the CB 350 for two years now, (since Givi does not provide tank lock fittings for the Honda). It cant be bolted on the metal rack since its plastic and will give way. But you can try fastening it with the straps from KRIEGA attached to the KRIEGA OS Rack Loops
Quote:
Will be fitting it on the Xpulse seat tomorrow. I was also wondering if i could bolt it on the Xpulse rack, it would be like a permanent Seatlock. Still thinking, any thoughts?
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 10:15   #468
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Sebring, I was worried about the same thing that the plastic may crack if there is too much pressure on the plate. The thing is that mounting it on the seat is probably the best option - but it's not secure and can easily be stolen.

The other option that can be considered is to modify the tank ring kit to be able to bolt on to the fuel cap. that would probably mean drilling matching holes on the tank ring. Fitting the flange kit should not be a problem I believe. Worth a try?

Here are some detailed pics of the ring kit and flange.
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-picsart_111701.51.37.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-picsart_111701.55.52.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-picsart_111701.58.13.jpg  

Attached Images

v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 10:36   #469
Senior - BHPian

Definitely worth a try. I wanted to go the route but did not have the courage. Plz do post your experience. On a side note - These bike specific rings are a pain (Should have universals as well)
Quote:
The other option that can be considered is to modify the tank ring kit to be able to bolt on to the fuel cap. that would probably mean drilling matching holes on the tank ring. Fitting the flange kit should not be a problem I believe. Worth a try? Here are some detailed pics of the ring kit and flange.

Last edited by Sebring : 14th May 2022 at 10:38.
Old 14th May 2022, 23:29   #470
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Definitely worth a try. I wanted to go the route but did not have the courage. Plz do post your experience. On a side note - These bike specific rings are a pain (Should have universals as well)
Will order for the flange and the ring kit this week. The flange is a universal part , it's the ring kit which is designed specific to each bike due to the tank ring holes being different on each bike. What they should do is provide a universal ring kit without any holes, so the holes can be locally drilled as per any bike.

Which brings me to another confusion. Which bike specific ring kit should i order. The holes on the Xpulse and the Tiger (BF02) are very much similar so i can take the risk and order it. The only problem is if the holes are too close , then they will overlap and be useless. The other option is i get a ring where the hole design is completely different - like the Suzuki kit where the holes are in a triangular pattern.

Anyways, that's for a later stage. My brother fitted the S430 Seatlock mechanism and it was a perfect fit. I haven't tried it with the bag, but will do so soon and update here.
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20220514wa0002.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20220514wa0004.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20220514wa0001.jpg  

v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 06:16   #471
Senior - BHPian

Looks superb on the seat there huh! I had this plan to cut it as per the shape of the filler using my Dremel, but the thing looks so great by itself I just couldn't. I'd get a ring where the hole design is completely different because then it's no risk at all (I understand these rings are pricey). Where is your Givi bag? My bag is the ST602B. I had put up few pics on this thread
Quote:
The other option is i get a ring where the hole design is completely different - like the Suzuki kit where the holes are in a triangular pattern.
Old 15th May 2022, 11:00   #472
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Looks superb on the seat there huh! I had this plan to cut it as per the shape of the filler using my Dremel, but the thing looks so great by itself I just couldn't. I'd get a ring where the hole design is completely different because then it's no risk at all (I understand these rings are pricey). Where is your Givi bag? My bag is the ST602B. I had put up few pics on this thread
You won't believe i had the same idea. Cut that part and fit it on the tank ring. But then everytime you have to fill fuel, you will have to remove the unit (which is not practical). The ring is easier, since it does not cover the fuel lid. I'll be trying out the tankbag later in the day and will update here.

Tell me something, the CB350 does not come with an aircraft type fuel filler cap - so you will not be able to use the Tanklock bag on it with the ring kit. How were you planning to fit it then?

Mine is a Givi ST602 - here are pics of it mounted on the Versys and Tiger.
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20181223_211307_486.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-picsart_112501.30.10.jpg  

v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 13:09   #473
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that's a beauty Bro. I was not planning to use the ring kit, just somehow fix the seatlock mechanism on the tank using straps. But then i saw the tank lock was projecting by as much as an mm even if i made an accurate die cut hole Desperate time called for desperate measures
Quote:
Tell me something, the CB350 does not come with an aircraft type fuel filler cap - so you will not be able to use the Tanklock bag on it with the ring kit. How were you planning to fit it then?

Last edited by Sebring : 15th May 2022 at 13:10.
Old 20th May 2022, 19:09   #474
BHPian

Finally completed 17 days of grueling journey around Ladakh. Used the Rynox Expedition trailbag 2 stormproof as my main bag, a skybag weekender as a secondary bag and a jerry can tied onto my side rails using a decathlon cycle lock.

I would concentrate only on the Rynox Trail bag here and try to review it to the best of my abilities.

Pros-
Multiple Loops to mount the bag .
Easy fitting and removal from the bike .
Waterproof in itself so additional cover is not required
Multiple hauling options, can carried as a backpack, messenger bag or duffle bag.

Cons
One single voluminous 42 L compartment. Need luggage organizers and separate bags(good practice IMO ) to have things handy.

Rolltop procedure is not very convenient especially when one has to make three rolltops. Could only manage about two but was fine, didn't have any water ingress.

There is additional fine stitching in addition to the seam welds which started fraying from day one.

Challenges i faced on mounting the bag since i didn't have a tail rack and saddle stay installed.

The rear mounting points are not convenient on the adventure and hence it slides forward. i did manage to mitigate to some extent by using the buckles in the middle of the bag instead of the side and looping the provided straps multiple times.

Since the KTM only has a side stand , the bag would also slide towards one side on parking. This was mitigated by tightening the mounting loop on one side, but the rough terrains and constant vibrations did kill one of my straps which was recycled to the rear mounting point.

Wouldn't say its a con, but the bag does get dirty easily and also gets cleaned easily.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_0777_1.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_0316.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_0612.jpg

Cheers
Vish
touring_spirit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 14:11   #475
BHPian

Hello,

Has anyone used the Enduristan Monsoon 3 saddle bags? I know it's probably 5 times the price of the Indian made bags but it comes with a stellar reputation from across the globe for its material quality, ease of use, light weight, ruggedness and waterproof-ness.

I've been using Rynox Nomad for the past 7 years and I am happy with them. But it's worn out now so needs to be replaced. I'd like to go for a fully waterproof solution as rain covers don't really do a good job in heavy rains, water tends to seep in from the saddle stay side where the bags aren't covered.

I do realize that I can just simply use roll-down dry bags inside a similar bag which might be quite effective but the ease of having a single solution is definitely preferable.

The Rynox Expedition Stormproof saddle bags seem to be a good alternative on paper but it's been out of stock for months.

So....are the Monsoon 3s worth the price esp considering the competition?
Karthik Mathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 23:32   #476
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry was out of town and could not update on my tank bag fitting onto the Xpulse.

So here are the various possible fitments for the Givi ST602 tank bag.

The bag placed on the top rack - will need to figure out a way to install the tanklock mechanism (ring and flange) on the top rack.
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20220515183911.jpg

The bag placed on the pillion seat - for which i already have the Seatlock mechanism.
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20220515183923.jpg

The bag placed on the fuelcap - notice how close it is to the handlebar.
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20220515183938.jpg

There is no room for the handlebar to move with the bag placed on the fuelcap. So this option is totally out.
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20220515183952.jpg

The bag placed slightly below and on the tank slope.
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20220515184129.jpg

Notice how much space there is to now turn the handlebar.
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20220515184232.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20220515184140.jpg

On the right
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20220515184323.jpg

On the left
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20220515184307.jpg

I started figuring out a way to fabricate a metal plate which would allow me to mount it on the tank ring and come all the way halfway towards the tank slope. But something told me that this could have been the problem in other bikes too where the fuel filler cap is extremely close to the handlebar. No ways Givi would have not thought of this. That's when i started researching on Givi's catalogue and came across the Givi flange kit for the MT-07. Looks like it's exactly what i needed. Obviously it would not be an exact fit, because the holes won't match. But atleast i could order it and match the holes on the Xpulse. Let's see, in due time will order it.

Name:  images 3.jpeg
Views: 1371
Size:  10.0 KB

Name:  images 4.jpeg
Views: 1332
Size:  29.3 KB
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 04:31   #477
Senior - BHPian

I bought the SW Motech Magnetic Micro Bag (VSTROM 250 SX) and recommend this for small tanks. The track at the bottom allows you to slide it backward or forward for the perfect fit. Givi doesn't have this.
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-40bcd911b37c4a8193d328fbc1647cc3.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_2531.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 09:33   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Mathur View Post
Hello,

Has anyone used the Enduristan Monsoon 3 saddle bags?
So....are the Monsoon 3s worth the price esp considering the competition?
Explore Kriega as well.

Personally, the only indian bags i trust are from viaterra because they "make" everything in house in their own factory. If a comparative version does not exist in viaterra, i simply buy from one of the international brands.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 14:59   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
Going by your budget + capacity requirements and since you already have the mini claw (which is approx 35L), I'd suggest go for the ViaTerra POD 22L expander (approx 1900INR). It can easily be mounted atop the Claw mini using their clamp mount bag and is completely water-proof. I've used it in the Mumbai monsoons and have carried over a week's worth of stuff in the POD alone - hence recommend it since you'll be in the same brand ecosystem.

If not, you could also look at Dirtsack Max range of tailbags that have been recently launched. Kriega drybags would also sort you out - but they are cross the 5000INR budget range.

It is difficult to figure out the size of the tail rack of your bike from the image posted - but maybe you could look at the Dirtsack/Sw Motech dry bag range to see which would fit snug. surjaononwheelz suggestion of Nelson Rigg looks apt for your tail rack.

PS: I am not promoting any specific brands. Suggestions are mostly from usage experience
Have you tried 22L pod on top of 35L mini. I am in same situation wherein I have 35L mini, but considering the upcoming spiti trip i want to either add on top of the Claw mini or totally go for the new Claw mini(48L). I felt 22L will be too big to fit on 35L Claw mini as this older claw mini does not really form a flat bed on top for pod. Any picture of this combination will be helpful if you are using this mix.
Old 14th July 2022, 19:24   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Have you tried 22L pod on top of 35L mini. I am in same situation wherein I have 35L mini, but considering the upcoming spiti trip i want to either add on top of the Claw mini or totally go for the new Claw mini(48L). I felt 22L will be too big to fit on 35L Claw mini as this older claw mini does not really form a flat bed on top for pod. Any picture of this combination will be helpful if you are using this mix.
If you tour regularly, I would suggest to invest in Claw Mini (48L), and 12/22L Pods combination.

The new Claw Mini is 100% waterproof, has a wider (and flat) opening, and few extra storage spaces for documents and all. Also, you won’t need saddle stays for CM48 as they don’t hang sideways much. A good bungee cord will keep them in place.
And if you add Pods to this setup, you suddenly have a modular luggage system, which is easy to assemble/dissemble. Your total carrying capacity also increases to 48+12/22 = 60/70/82 L, which is a lot.
If you are just going for 2-5 days tour, P22 is more than enough.

I have both P12 & P22. In few days I will be ordering CM48. This whole setup, cumulatively, is costly(~7.5K); but the flexibility it offers is amazing. You have options to choose from 12L/22L/34L/48L/60L/70L/82L, which is simply great.

Ride safe, Ride far
NTab is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks