Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2023, 18:04   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov.R View Post
I don't have a short cuff glove. I use full gauntlets all the time. Maybe its time I pick up one, and add to the arsenal!

Thank you once again, dear Doc.

Much appreciate your kind response!
I would strongly suggest getting a pair for the city and inner or shorter rides. Very convenient to take on and off multiple times, quickly, without annoying your waiting co-riders, as well as being airy and less warm. Also, preferably not leather, so they can double up as your rain gloves, that can get soaked, but dry off in a jiffy while riding itself.

Once you get used to riding with gloves, you need something on your hands. This second pair is what steps in when the full gauntlets become too bulky or wet or tear or get lost, or damaged in a fall.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 18:21   #557
BHPian

Indeed so, Doc.

I've faced quite a bit of trouble with my Rynox full gauntlets. It's time I pick up a shortcuff.

Thanks for the insights!
Raskolnikov.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 21:40   #558

VIATERRA ELEMENT Tailbag on my ADV 390

I have been using the VIATERRA ELEMENT - UNIVERSAL MOTORCYCLE TAILBAG for around two months now. It does come with a rain cover although it didn't really rain since I bought this.

But this tail-bag just fits perfectly on the back seat of my ADV. The edges overlaps with the grab-rails and it just sits there perfectly.

It comes with two double-d ring straps on the front and and a strap on the back which you can loop around to a double-d ring on the other side (Double-d is in the left and there is a strap adjuster on the right from where the strap starts)

And I have to say that this made my life much easier when compared to tying up my rucksack/backpack with bungee cords.

I ususally take 3 pair of clothes (Tshirst and cargo pants), my 16-inch Dell G15 laptop and some miscellaneous items in it. Would totally recommend this especially if you are using an ADV 250/390

Name:  adv_1.png
Views: 399
Size:  831.4 KB

Name:  adv_2.png
Views: 407
Size:  692.3 KB
aka8921 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 13:58   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Your tail bag alone looks like its probably got more volumetric capacity than my duffel bag. How many litres is it? Straps and buckles? I think you had it on at Tamhini as well.

The handlebar bag is unique. First time I'm personally seeing one. But I suspect it must make your handlebar quite heavy, sluggish even?

Cheers, Doc
Hi Doc,

That tail bag you saw at the Tamhini ride was the ViaTerra Seaty Tail bag. It's a perfect bag for Sunday breakfast rides, etc. Sits well on the Aprilia too Capacity is 12L (expanded).
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-pxl_20221211_1018597773.jpg

The Tail bag on the KTM ADV390 is the Nelson Rigg Commuter Lite. Capacity is 15L.

Regarding the ViaTerra Handle Bar Bag on the KTM - no need to be worried. It's a small bag, good Enough to hold your sunglasses, some loose currency change, a spare Balaclava. It's a very small bag, quite useful for touring.

You should visit the Mx Store on Sadhu Vaswani road, nearby your place, and check it out. He's an authorised Viaterra Dealer in Pune.

Cheers.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 09:57   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Yes, I have been doing a little more research on this. Seems like Mosko Moto has been making really good adventure touring luggage setups. Among Indian brands, I found that Rahgear and Dirtsack are offering similar products.
Hey Siddhant, I was also looking for a rack-less system and came across your post. Did you decide on one? Would love to have a review from a bhpian before I make a purchase.
Old 10th January 2024, 11:24   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik.guru View Post
Hey Siddhant, I was also looking for a rack-less system and came across your post. Did you decide on one? Would love to have a review from a bhpian before I make a purchase.
I found out from one rider who had purchased the Dirtsack Erupt Rackless that it wasn't that great. He advised me against spending that kind of money on Dirtsack's rackless system. I saw some video where the Max 20 bags were mounted on the sides of a 390 Adv and honestly, it looked very weird. So, I decided against it.

Thus, after a lot of thinking, I got the Carbon Racing Saddle Stays and the Viaterra Condor Solo for my bike. The saddle stays are quite good and not that heavy - in fact about the same weight as the saree guard I got rid of. I had a lot of apprehension about the saddle bags touching the exhaust but there is sufficient gap. Along with my Dirtsack Max 30, I have a combined capacity of 72L (for long trips). I can use them separately for shorter trips.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-390-adventure.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-luggagesetup.jpg
siddhant is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 11:48   #562
Senior - BHPian

Rackless appeals to me at the moment. I just picked up the Giant Loop Rackless (From the US), and will mount it on my bike soon. The quality is the best I've seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik.guru View Post
Attached Images

Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 11:57   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
I found out from one rider who had purchased the Dirtsack Erupt Rackless that it wasn't that great. He advised me against spending that kind of money on Dirtsack's rackless system. I saw some video where the Max 20 bags were mounted on the sides of a 390 Adv and honestly, it looked very weird. So, I decided against it.
Thank you for letting me know, and congratulations on your purchase!. I'm still heavily leaning towards rackless systems though, they just suit my packing philosophy more than the pannier route. Although I'm leaning more towards Rahgear rather than Dirtsack. The visual oddity doesn't bother me to be honest, infact I find there is a certain beauty to something designed purely for function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Rackless appeals to me at the moment. I just picked up the Giant Loop Rackless (From the US), and will mount it on my bike soon. The quality is the best I've seen.
I would expect nothing less from Giant Loop! In my budget I've only been able to find Rahgear and Dirtsack rackless systems here. Probably will go with Rahgear. Fingers crossed!
Karthik.guru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 14:07   #564
Senior - BHPian

Got another larger volume water resistant duffel bag to complement my 20 liter duffel bag for shorter trips.

Tried out a 40 liter bag (the grey obe in the first photo) furst, but that was unnecessarily big. Never see myself carrying so much, even over a month on the road.

So ordered two 30 liter bags, and settled on this one, in terms if quality, finish and capacity.

Its a bit longer than the smaller bag, and a bit deeper. It takes everything that I originally fitted in the small bag (28 items) and still has about 25% capacity left empty on top. Enough to fit in 2 flannel long sleeved shirts, two jeans, and 2 more dri fit T shirts. Or on a real trip, maybe some extra bulky woolies fir a winter ride, or extra clothes for a longer ride.

The 2 rain covers I have, neither fitted over the 40 liter bag. The smaller black one covers the 30 liter bag almost completely. So thats a win as well. The orange cover is even bigger.

So I now have a potential modular tail pack luggage system of 20L + 30L = 50L (if ever needed) in about 1200 bucks. Light. Small. Central. Low. Perfect.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20240108_162115.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-1image.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20240108_162645.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20240108_162719.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20240108_162317.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20240108_162337.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20240108_225948.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20240108_2259072.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20240108_230212.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20240108_231717.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20240108_2335312.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20240108_233636.jpg

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 10th January 2024 at 14:13.
ebonho is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 03:01   #565
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I recently got recently got a pre owned 2016 Tiger 800 which didn't have any luggage system installed. I need to get hard case top box and panniers installed.

I understand the Triumph original accessory for side mount and panniers is about for 1 Lac. While they are significantly expensive, also given the age of the bike, they may not be available as well.

Have been looking at options from Givi and SW Motech but unable to make any sense. Hence requesting some expert advice on what my options are over here.

Also where can I get them in Mumbai. Aluminium Top Box is an immediate priority.

P.S: I had gone to the Bikester Global and the local hardcase pannier had generic mounts which don't fit the tiger.
Old 14th March 2024, 05:56   #566
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

Folks, I recently got recently got a pre owned 2016 Tiger 800 which didn't have any luggage system installed. I need to get hard case top box and panniers installed.

I understand the Triumph original accessory for side mount and panniers is about for 1 Lac. While they are significantly expensive, also given the age of the bike, they may not be available as well.

Have been looking at options from Givi and SW Motech but unable to make any sense. Hence requesting some expert advice on what my options are over here.
Here are my inputs on this:

1. Dont buy OEM even if you get it. Givi makes the luggage for Triumph. But they have slightly different mounts so they can’t be used as easily when you change bikes.

2. Buy from a good third party brand instead of OEM. You’ve bought a 7- 8 year old bike. It could well be that you spend a bomb on luggage and go and flip this bike in a couple of years. Your investment in the luggage system should be capable of being used on the next ADV as well. You’ll lose the pannier mounts of course but at least the basic luggage can be moved to the next one.

2. Buy from a good quality brand - both Givi and SWM are excellent and you could well restrict your search to just these two.

For Givi, the best source to search is Bikenbiker Bangalore (talk to Sreejith - he’s excellent). For SWM, it’s big bad bikes in Bangalore (talk to Sean, again excellent). Both have excellent online catalogues of their stuff.
You could also talk to Piyush at Pathpavers, Delhi. Again, an excellent franchise and I’m sure he stocks SWM and I think he also stocks Givi.

Any of these folks will advise you on models and will also ship it out to you.

3. Between Givi and SWM, I feel Givi has the much broader range of top boxes to choose from. So that alone could be one reason to pivot to Givi as an option. I also personally found the Givi box I used on my Tiger nicer to operate than the SWM on my Multi.

If you want to see the SWM system on an ADV, you can refer to my post here.

If you want to see Givi luggage mounted on a Tiger, you can check this post from my long term review here. This was the Triumph OEM though but it’s made by Givi. Givi branded will be exactly the same.

4. For side cases, the biggest gating question is whether you want hard cases or semi rigid. Both have their own pros and cons and it completely comes down to personal preference. If you had to see only one video to help you understand the difference, I hugely recommend Bret Tkacs’s YouTube video on this (link below). It sums up the pros and cons perfectly.

5. Decide up front if you want Givi or SWM but don’t choose top box from one and side panniers from another. It could create conflicts in the pannier mounting systems. Kriega makes excellent soft side bags as well and these will work with either Givi / SWM mounts AFAIK so can be combined with either top box.

6. Other brands you could consider are Shad and Hepco Becker but I think Givi and SWM have the best support and sales in India. You could just restrict your research between these two.

Bret Tkacs video on soft vs hard luggage:

Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 09:18   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

If you want to see the SWM system on an ADV, you can refer to my post here.

If you want to see Givi luggage mounted on a Tiger, you can check this post from my long term review here. This was the Triumph OEM though but it’s made by Givi. Givi branded will be exactly the same.

5. Decide up front if you want Givi or SWM but don’t choose top box from one and side panniers from another. It could create conflicts in the pannier mounting systems. Kriega makes excellent soft side bags as well and these will work with either Givi / SWM mounts AFAIK so can be combined with either top box.
Thanks Axe for the detailed post. I had gone through your detailed post on your soft luggage on Multi. I used to have soft luggage- saddle bags (ViaTerra) on my Duke and I know of the disadvantages But the SWM and Kriega ones looked more closed and dust proof.

I spent considerable time on BikeNBiker website last night to shortlist some Givi models like the Outback and Outback trekker series but they are working to be prohibitively expensive.

Its sad that there is no direct dealer for Givi and SWM in Mumbai.
Old 14th March 2024, 09:45   #568
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Its sad that there is no direct dealer for Givi and SWM in Mumbai.
I think LABS Andheri can order SWM for you but I doubt they keep too much in stock to see first hand.

You can also visit Naila Biking Superstore in Pune (Baner). They definitely keep Givi and I think they stock SW Motech too. You should be able to see a good range in person there. Perhaps another day trip on the Tiger is in order.
Old 16th March 2024, 10:26   #569
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone here bought Dirtsack luggage?

I have been thinking of a mix of hard and soft luggage system for the bike with a hard top box and the soft luggage on the saddle. Two options I have zeroed on:
  1. Dirtsack Coros 30
  2. Nelson Rigg Hurricane

Dirtsack seems to be a good economical option to Kriega or Moskomoto
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 21:53   #570
BHPian

This is such a great thread with so much valuable information. Sincere thanks to all.

I couldn't locate this question - hence asking here: How do you deal with riding boots once you are at your destination? I can think of few routes:

1) Keep them on and learn to walk / manage with them
2) Store them in a duffel or equivalent and bungee it to the bike
3) Store them in a top-box
4) Any other way which forum members are managing.

Option 1) is not working very well so far. Especially if you feel like taking a longer stroll. Views please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks