Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2023, 14:26   #541
BHPian

Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Looking to purchase a new tail bag for solo trips of around 4 to 5 days. Would want something that's easy to mount and unmount as I don't prefer to keep the luggage on my bike during sightseeing. Should be waterproof(atleast with a cover)

Went through various options from viaterra, rynox, dirtsack etc. would really appreciate some help with the following queries:

1. I really like the idea of the modular dirtsack max range. The flexibility of purchasing a 30L max now and adding a 10/20L max as an when required is really appealing. I can also use it as a normal waterproof backpack for my commutes. Since I do not have a dealer nearby and would be purchasing online, wanted to know how's the build quality, spare straps availability and support of the dirtsack max compared to viaterra? Is the g hook mechanism comparable to buckle/d ring available in other brands?

2. In case dirt sack is not suggested over viaterra/rynox, which amongst claw mini, element 35L and rynox explorer 2 is recommended? Is the claw cumbersome to carry around with the shoulder strap?

Thanks.
Old 3rd December 2023, 22:05   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I will update on the usability in a couple of weeks. But they are very well made and are very functional.
Sir, can you please update on the usability of the condor bags? I think I may finally go for saddle bags with saddle stays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Ajax View Post
Found this on YT.
Such compact bags!
It is resting perfectly on the fairing on 390adv!
Size seems good for a day long outing.
I messaged the guy in the video on insta. After doing Spiti and Zanskar using those, he doesn't think the setup is worth it. Check this video. Honestly, it looks a little weird on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Looking to purchase a new tail bag for solo trips of around 4 to 5 days. Would want something that's easy to mount and unmount as I don't prefer to keep the luggage on my bike during sightseeing. Should be waterproof(atleast with a cover)

Went through various options from viaterra, rynox, dirtsack etc. would really appreciate some help with the following queries:

1. I really like the idea of the modular dirtsack max range. The flexibility of purchasing a 30L max now and adding a 10/20L max as an when required is really appealing. I can also use it as a normal waterproof backpack for my commutes. Since I do not have a dealer nearby and would be purchasing online, wanted to know how's the build quality, spare straps availability and support of the dirtsack max compared to viaterra? Is the g hook mechanism comparable to buckle/d ring available in other brands?

2. In case dirt sack is not suggested over viaterra/rynox, which amongst claw mini, element 35L and rynox explorer 2 is recommended? Is the claw cumbersome to carry around with the shoulder strap?

Thanks.
I got the Max 30 for the same purpose. Go for it eyes closed. It is perfect for those 3-5 day trips. You will be surprised how much stuff you can pack in it.
Old 3rd December 2023, 22:10   #543
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Sir, can you please update on the usability of the condor bags? I think I may finally go for saddle bags with saddle stays.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...m-14-days.html (Two friends rode their bikes from Hyderabad to Spiti and Back | 5000 km in 14 days)

The bags were perfect for my trip to the mountains.

They were dry even after riding thru some heavy rain and snowfall. The only issue was that the rain cover got a long tear. I suspect it was some stony overhang that ripped it.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 22:26   #544
BHPian

Quote:
I got the Max 30 for the same purpose. Go for it eyes closed. It is perfect for those 3-5 day trips. You will be surprised how much stuff you can pack in it.
Thanks. Any comparison with the viaterra element in terms of quality and after sales?

Are the straps for the under saddle mount included with the product or is it to be purchased separately like the tank mount?
Hopefully Amazon manages to deliver it by next week when it's needed.
Old 3rd December 2023, 23:59   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I've always been a duffel bag guy, with a brief dalliance with saddlebags that just did not suit my riding style and touring philosophy (light and fast), and am now veering towards a single pod style tailbag on the rear seat (in line with the bike and not jutting out to either side - a change from the duffel) if solo, and tail rack if with a pillion.

20 liters seems like the sweet spot for me with the advent of thin and light synthetics and dri fits that dry literally in an hour or two after a rinse. So you can rinse or wash in the basin every night if needed, and everything will be dry by morning. Your base layers that you wear through the day, ditto. So 2 dri fit t shirts and a light pair of shorts or tracks for the lodge/night, a pair of chappals or aqua shoes for the same, a light cotton/terry towel, a spare pair of socks, a spare light pair of gloves (I always carry another pair of gloves), an extra warm layer/thermal if it gets chilly, your bag of toiletries and medicines, and your pouch of documents and chargers, power bank/s, etc. That's all you really need for 4-5 days or 15 days or 30 days on the road. And 20 liters (max 30 liters) is more than enough.

The rain upper and lower and a lightweight down jacket, all of which bunch up small and tight, I would prefer to carry with my hydration bladder in my backpack for quick access.

In my opinion you should look at Viaterra Pod 22 liters or stacked combo with the added 12 liters as well, the Carbonado Modpac 20 or 30 liters, and the Dirtsack Max 20 or 30 liters.

Again in my opinion, the others like the Dirtsack Frogman and Rynox Expedition and the very weird and unwieldy Viaterra Claw (even the Mini) are just unnecessary overkill. The Element is structured and contoured, and again in my opinion does not gel with my idea of soft luggage and its plus points.

Hope this helps. I too am looking at these options for my Duke 390, and might even think of a tank bag for the rain gear and down jacket, and have just the bladder on my back. Also might want to look at small strap on frame bags for the crash guards which can be used for puncture and chain kit and tools, and a fuel bottle. Which I want to keep away from my clothes if possible. Any ideas on options for these ... tank bag and crash guard bags?

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 4th December 2023 at 00:13.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 00:28   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I've always been a duffel bag guy, with a brief dalliance with saddlebags that just did not suit my riding style and touring philosophy (light and fast), and am now veering towards a single pod style tailbag on the rear seat (in line with the bike and not jutting out to either side - a change from the duffel) if solo, and tail rack if with a pillion.
I share somewhat similar thought process, hence the dirtsack max is my choice as of now. Between the 20 and 30L, the delta in external dimensions is within reasonable limits for me to go with 30L(I'm a little less frugal with packing).

I had a look at the rynox pods in the store. It servers the purpose except for the lack of a shoulder strap/back straps. The dirtsack feels like a more complete product along with better integration in terms of future capacity upgrades. I don't really like saddlebags/saddle stays and hard luggage so high up and far behind on the bike.

The only reason I was considering the other products from viaterra is due to the fact that those are the only luggage systems that I could physically checkout in my locality and dirtsack being a new brand to me. But they do seem to have a pedigree and are highly recommended.

The only experience I have with tank bags is my rynox navigator. Not too fond of big tank bags as I hate the feeling of being wedged in.
kedar3223 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 13:40   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Kedar3223,

Sorry to stir the pot again.

If you are planning to un-mount the luggage some waypoints and locations for site seeing, you will need luggage with back pack type straps. Shoulder type slings will be alright when the weight is low.

IF you are planning to expand later, Dirtsack Max 30 is the way to go.

Alternative to consider would be Viaterra Hammerhead 45 or the Rynox Navigator Tail bag 50L

Can you tell us what is the bike you are planning to use this luggage on? Because the mounting points and locations also play a big role in how secure the bag is during the ride.
Old 4th December 2023, 13:56   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skviknaraj View Post
Kedar3223,

Sorry to stir the pot again.

If you are planning to un-mount the luggage some waypoints and locations for site seeing, you will need luggage with back pack type straps. Shoulder type slings will be alright when the weight is low.

IF you are planning to expand later, Dirtsack Max 30 is the way to go.

Alternative to consider would be Viaterra Hammerhead 45 or the Rynox Navigator Tail bag 50L

Can you tell us what is the bike you are planning to use this luggage on? Because the mounting points and locations also play a big role in how secure the bag is during the ride.
Placed an order for dirtsack max 30. I'll be using it with a Duke 200 which will be replaced by a speed 400 soon. Also looking at a sub 500cc adv a year and half later.
kedar3223 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 14:12   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Placed an order for dirtsack max 30. I'll be using it with a Duke 200 which will be replaced by a speed 400 soon. Also looking at a sub 500cc adv a year and half later.
Great!!! Flat seat, round tube subframe. Should fit well.

Congrats on the new ride!
Old 12th December 2023, 17:58   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've always been a duffel bag guy ...

... my riding style and touring philosophy (light and fast)

... am now veering towards a single pod style tailbag on the rear seat (in line with the bike and not jutting out to either side - a change from the duffel) if solo, and tail rack if with a pillion.

... 20 liters seems like the sweet spot for me with the advent of thin and light synthetics and dri fits that dry literally in an hour or two after a rinse

... So 2 dri fit t shirts and a light pair of shorts or tracks for the lodge/night, a pair of chappals or aqua shoes for the same, a light cotton/terry towel, a spare pair of socks, a spare light pair of gloves (I always carry another pair of gloves), an extra warm layer/thermal if it gets chilly, your bag of toiletries and medicines, and your pouch of documents and chargers, power bank/s, etc. That's all you really need for 4-5 days or 15 days or 30 days on the road.

... And 20 liters (max 30 liters) is more than enough.
And can we get an Amen! (long post alert)

So this post should be titled "How much can you fit in a small gym bag/duffel, inside 20 litres, and how much would it weigh"

Not happy with the pod and strap and buckle solution, and wanting to stick to my preferred duffel bag, but wayyyy smaller and leaner and lighter, I started scouring the online stores for what would fit my particular needs and taste, rather than picking up a readymade product from one of the many bike bag brands.

Finally the duffel I chose after a lot of online research, and the rain covers (one black and small, one hi vis and bigger) arrived, and I sat down with pen and paper to make a "worst case overpacking scenario" list of clothes I would carry on a ride, and then see how much of that in the real world I could lay out, roll tight into military rolls, and fit into the baby duffel bag, and how much would be left out, without forcing the zippers in any way to anywhere near the point of failure.

The bag measures 16" x 9" x 9" for the main compartment (21 litres), and one of my primary must haves was that it should have two separate zippered side pockets at both ends that could be used for bike stuff, away from the main clothes and personal stuff in the central main compartment. A front zippered pocket was not a must have, but an added bonus. The whole bag end to end, with the two side pockets, measures 18" x 9" x 9" (24 litres).

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231211_235342.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231211_235432.jpg

The bike rear seat where the bag will sit measures 13" length-wise (to the tip of the tail lamp assembly) and 15" across (measured across the widest points of the grab handles on either side). The aim was to have maximum support, with minimal unsupported overhang in either axes, and as less side to side jutting out as possible. This was KEY for my exercise, based on all my prior experience. Both with duffels as well as saddlebags.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231204_133045.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231204_133229.jpg

For perspective, this is how a 60 litre duffel that measures 22" x 12" x 12" would fit on the rear seat of the bike. My favourite black duffel, that I have done most of my big tours with, and which I cannot find, was maybe a bit smaller. Maybe 45-50 litres. Can't say for sure though. But those were the days of cottons and no dri fits. And less experience of what and how much to pack, and more importantly, how much you actually land up using. Even on tours extending from beyond 10 days to over 3 weeks on the road.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231204_133556.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231204_133612.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231204_133650.jpg

The list of items to be carried ... in addition to what is being worn on the bike daily (lots of "worst case" redundancies obvious, as explained) -

1 Track Pant stepping out of the hotel/lodge when necessary/colder nights)
1 Full Length Tights (spare ... longer tours/chance of getting wet)
3 shorts (night/swim/spare ... I would probably carry 2)
7 dri fit T shirts (I would probably carry 2-3 only)
2 dri fit long sleeve zipper collared jerseys (would replace one of the dri fit T shirts with one of these depending on the weather)
1 grey Roadshakers IV Anniversary sweat shirt for the night (a must take/talisman regardless of the weather!)
2 pairs of socks (spare ... shorter tours under a week, would carry one, 2 if chance of getting wet ... all my socks are woollen, full length for my riding boots, don't smell, and dry very quickly)
4 briefs (overkill ... but I'll spare the readers from the real reasoning ...)
1 gym towel (Decathlon ... cotton gamcha does not dry as quickly, is more bulky ... again, you just need to dry yourself, not walk in it wrapped around)
1 Beanie (always)
1 Glove Inners (always)
1 spare short cuff quick dry armoured gloves (always, always)
1 woollen cap (spare ... redundant)
1 leather gloves (spare ... redundant)
1 Baseball cap

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231211_233032.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231211_205724.jpg

TOTAL 28 items ... managed to get all inside except for the baseball cap (more from not wanting to squish and damage the peak of my favourite tattered Aussie Outback cap!) ... so 27 items.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_001317.jpg

Not seen in photo - Enough space inside as well as in the front zippered pocket to slip in a plastic bag of toiletries and medicines, and a pair of light bathroom slippers (hotel/airlines non-Turkish ones are great for this, as they as weightless, and pack near totally flat).

Both side pockets still totally empty - Puncture kit, Inflator, Chain kit, Cables and Spares.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_001711.jpg

Total WEIGHT of the fully packed bag - Under 3 kilos!

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_002132.jpg

Tried out both the rain covers. The hi vis Orange one with a reflective stripe is bigger, has 2 internal buckle straps to hold it in place, and is brighter. The black one is very good quality and fits a bit better though. Will try both. Importantly, as is the case for almost all rain covers available online, their sizes start from the smallest size of 30-45 litres, and are made for
flattish rectangular backpacks, and not cylindrical duffel bags, so I was initially unsure how these would fit, in spite of the elasticated rim and the adjusting straps. Happily, they fit great, as can be seen.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_0036092.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_004057.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_004116.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_004430.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_004443.jpg

Finally the moment of truth. Placed the packed bag on the rear seat of the bike. Both length-wise as well as across. There is less of an unsupported overhang across than length-wise, and it does not seem to be big enough to go beyond the level of my knees, so I think the across fitment would work better, as I've been used to.

Length-wise, along the length of the seat, pod tail bag style -

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_075302.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_075356.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_075538.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_075629.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_075700.jpg

Across, traditional old school duffel bungee style -

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_075747.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_075800.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_075812.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231212_075828.jpg

For the length-wise off chance, I got a pair of high load trekking straps with buckles from Decathlon to loop under the rear saddle and strap across the top of the bag as in the case of the branded strap-on pod type tail bags discussed above. But with placing the bag across, I guess standard old school bungees will still work better.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20231211_093334.jpg

In ending, I'll say that at first glance (and even second and third ...) the bag looks and feels really small, and one is tempted to look for another slightly bigger duffel that is at least 30-35 litres. But if this small hero is taking in all of this, and a lot of it I am not really going to carry, then why lug around a bigger bag at all??????

A light backpack with my hydration bladder, rain upper and lower, and a lightweight 0 degree puffer jacket will eventually go on to my back, with the shoulder straps adjusted such that the base of the bag rests perfectly on and is supported by the top of the duffel bungeed behind.

Thank you for your attention!

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 21:46   #551
BHPian

Quote:
And can we get an Amen! (long post alert)
Nice review there doc..!
Quite surprised to see that the whole lot of clothes could fit in the Duffle bag.

Here's my setup on my ADV390, which I used for my recent (Oct. 2023) 12 day Ladakh ride.
1. Rynox Nomad v2.1 Saddle bags
2. Nelson Rigg Commuter Lite Tail Bag
3. Via Terra Handle Bar Bag - Trail Pack

Not a fan of Tank bags. But the said setup was good enough to hold cold weather clothes as well.

Must say that the quality of straps and the velcro used to secure the Rynox Saddle bags are impressive.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20230926_1554484172.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20230926_1531527592.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20230926_1700351183.jpg  

Monaro CV8 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 22:02   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Nice review there doc..!
Quite surprised to see that the whole lot of clothes could fit in the Duffle bag.

2. Nelson Rigg Commuter Lite Tail Bag
3. Via Terra Handle Bar Bag - Trail Pack

Not a fan of Tank bags.
Thanks Satyen. Speaking of being quite surprised, you need to get in the back of an increasingly long line, with me at the head of it! Lol The little bag does pack a punch for sure.

Your tail bag alone looks like its probably got more volumetric capacity than my duffel bag. How many litres is it? Straps and buckles? I think you had it on at Tamhini as well.

The handlebar bag is unique. First time I'm personally seeing one. But I suspect it must make your handlebar quite heavy, sluggish even?

I share your dislike for tankbags. As I was telling bhpian Surja on WA, its like sitting in between the humps of a camel. Lol

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 12th December 2023 at 22:13.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 15:11   #553
BHPian

Doc,

Your post couldn't have come a day sooner.

I was on the phone with a fellow BHPian discussing travel luggage options, and I see you neatly list down every piece of clothing and add-ons one may need for a trip.

I'm going to print it down, and follow it to the T.

Maybe I'll pick up a similar bag to yours, or go for the Viaterra I was discussing about. I'll keep you informed.

Much obliged!
Raskolnikov.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 17:38   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov.R View Post
Doc,

Your post couldn't have come a day sooner.

I was on the phone with a fellow BHPian discussing travel luggage options, and I see you neatly list down every piece of clothing and add-ons one may need for a trip.

I'm going to print it down, and follow it to the T.
Dear Raskolnikov,

As I mentioned, this was the WORST CASE list, for a hypothetical war and cold weather trip, to both the sea (and swimming) and the mountains (and the cold). With a lot of extras in the form of spares and redundancies, that would not actually get packed for a real trip. Just to see what is the max load I could comfortably accommodate into the new bag, and how it fir ON the bike. And how much it all finally weighs. And whether the rain covers actually fit the filled out form of the bag.

In actual fact, this is what I usually pack, and what I would pack for a real ride. Be it 5 days or 20. As many long distance tourers will tell you. Pack for 5 days. And recycle (wash and dry, alternate, and repeat). As many times as necessitated by the length of the ride. They are clothes. Not consumables. And there is no fashion police to catch you wearing the same outfit twice ... or 5 times! Just the personal hygiene police, in your own nose.

1 Track Pant
1 base layer upper (spare)
1 base layer lower (spare)
2 shorts
3 dri fit T shirts
1 dri fit long sleeve zipper collared jersey
1 grey Roadshakers IV Anniversary sweat shirt
2 pairs of socks (spare)
2 briefs
2 sudras (Parsi religious undervest)
1 gym towel
1 Beanie
1 Glove Inners
1 short cuff riding gloves (spare)

The ACTUAL List!!!

20 items only, versus the 27 that can actually go into the bag.

And rain top (decathlon trekking), rain pants (decathlon cycling, with over-boots), and 0 deg Celsius puffer jacket (decathlon trekking), these 3 with my hydration bladder, in my back pack on my back.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 15th December 2023 at 18:05.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 17:50   #555
BHPian

I don't have a short cuff glove. I use full gauntlets all the time. Maybe its time I pick up one, and add to the arsenal!

Thank you once again, dear Doc.

Much appreciate your kind response!
Raskolnikov.R is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks