Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 11:03   #1096
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Yes, there will always be a slight rubbing as the disc brakes are self adjusting. As the pads begins to wear the pistons press the pads against the rotor and the process continues. This will cause the pads to slightly rub the rotor all the time.
Old 7th November 2013, 11:12   #1097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
but here the rotor got too hot for a short ride of just 10km.
Quite normal if it is a city ride, I would say. My TBTS used to have a super hot disc rotor even with a 4 kms of my 'spirited' riding. Its just normal. Heat dissipation is one of the functions of a brake rotor.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 7th November 2013 at 11:20.
Old 7th November 2013, 12:03   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even a slight rubbing is acceptable, but here the rotor got too hot for a short ride of just 10km
Yes, getting hot does not help a disc brake. Get it checked as soon as possible.

For those who are looking for a windscreen here is the update:-

This follows everything in this thread http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/do-yours...nd-shield.html

Differences are:-

- Using the black portion a little more than the thread to increase the height
- Simpler installation with minimal effort with two bolts, hack saw blade and a drill.

Pros:-

I am 6'1' and ride stand up right position. Post the windsheild the wind blast is aright at the forehead level. Completely over neck and actually very comfortable in city where the face is pretty dry even on a hot day

Installation is an hour or two as it needs some patience.

Cons:- The current set up does vibrate but does not look like breaking of. Stationary vibration is slightly high

Next steps:- Add a support from the handle bar to control vibration. Looking at different options including the support structure re-use of avenger windscreen or eliminatior windscreen. But to be tried out over the weekend.

Here are couple of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-2.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-3.jpg  

Old 7th November 2013, 12:12   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Dude, sorry and all that, but that looks UGLY!

Hopefully, v2 will come out a bit more refined
Old 7th November 2013, 12:30   #1100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

For those who are looking for a windscreen here is the update:-
Is that the plastic cover or has the windscreen got so many scratches!

Also, have you bolted the existing small visor also?
Old 7th November 2013, 12:34   #1101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Here are couple of pictures.
Good job VW2010. I will give thumps up to this mod as long as it is a cost effective and functional mod.

BTW. Are you planning to keep your bike plain white? Looks sooo dull compared to the character of the bike. Please do a decal job soon.
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 13:18   #1102
Senior - BHPian

Its just in the initial phase. Have not removed the cover till i finalize the position to avoid scratches during installation.

The total cost is 365 rs. After seeing my bike if someone is saying i am doing it for looks, i would smile. Functionally its perfect for me. I get the air i want for my face and @100kmph there is very minimal disturbance because of wind.

I have bolted the new visor on the small visor which means the small visor with its existing screws hold the new visor and as an add on i have bolted them as well with two simple bolt/nut.

Looks may not be a hit for many, but for me between 9k and getting slightly better looks and 365 sacrificing on looks, i picked the latter and the time spent on the project is exactly why i like bikes.

I will mostly keep it bland and white where i am unable to be convinced on decals. Max i would want to do is paint some orange to keep the contrast but hardly i could care.

For those who like to get theirs hands dirty but keep the cost simple you can try this while there are MRA windscreens that is straight fit that you use for 8+K

Last edited by VW2010 : 7th November 2013 at 13:19.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 13:34   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Those trying various windscreen mods, can you please keep us updated as to whether it affects your top speed or how long it takes to get there (if at all you do) in terms of a before and after comparison?

Throttleking here on Team BHP just told me about a friend of his from Nagpur who managed a truly mind numbing top whack with his brand new 390 on a Mumbai - Nagpur run. Highest I have heard so far ..... by some margin. I know the rider (Bulleteer) and I am pretty confident he's not BS'ing ....
Old 7th November 2013, 14:47   #1104
Senior - BHPian

@Ebonho,

I will do a quick comparison. Overall me reaching 100 is far easier and i am seeing 100 without racing in my 4th gear which i used to see in 5th. I have not changed the way i ride, but the amount of wind hitting my jacket and pushing me back is way lower now.

All the wind is directed into my visor which i am relishing because of the heat and the much needed wind.
Old 7th November 2013, 23:22   #1105

Hi! This is my first post... I have booked a 390 a day after Diwali from Kanjurmarg showroom. The booking amount was only 5K because of Diwali. Any idea what are the waiting periods like these days? The showroom guy said I should expect delivery by around mid December. I was thinking why not wait a few more days and get 2014 tag on the bike. But then again KTM might hike the price from January if I am out of luck. I'm a little confused-What are your thoughts on this?
Old 8th November 2013, 01:55   #1106
BHPian

I checked the rear brake play and found it to be absolutely normal. The problem is only with the rear rotor but the front rotor is super cool even after long rides. Will the situation improve as the pads wears out? Guess its time to head towards SVC.
Old 8th November 2013, 09:31   #1107
BHPian

Regarding the windscreen for the Bangalore folks, just wanted to check did anyone try out the shops at JC road. Might be a good idea in terms of desi jugaad viable in the long run.
Old 8th November 2013, 10:37   #1108
j76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmeet View Post
Hi! This is my first post... I have booked a 390 a day after Diwali from Kanjurmarg showroom. The booking amount was only 5K because of Diwali. Any idea what are the waiting periods like these days? The showroom guy said I should expect delivery by around mid December. I was thinking why not wait a few more days and get 2014 tag on the bike. But then again KTM might hike the price from January if I am out of luck. I'm a little confused-What are your thoughts on this?
I booked mine from the Kanjurmarg showroom on Aug 15th for the same booking amount, my bike got here last week and I should be getting delivery soon after it comes back from registration. Delivery times are shorter now since Bajaj seem to have sorted out their factory issues. Heard nothing about a price hike yet, a few rumours floating around though.
Old 8th November 2013, 11:33   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
I checked the rear brake play and found it to be absolutely normal. The problem is only with the rear rotor but the front rotor is super cool even after long rides. Will the situation improve as the pads wears out? Guess its time to head towards SVC.
Reason being the rear rotor will not get enough airflow around it to cool it, which is not the case with front rotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycee View Post
Regarding the windscreen for the Bangalore folks, just wanted to check did anyone try out the shops at JC road. Might be a good idea in terms of desi jugaad viable in the long run.
Please be very careful if you are buying costly stuffs from JC road. The place is flooded with duplicates. But its a very good place for cheap alternatives!
Old 8th November 2013, 11:52   #1110
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a 390 in the flesh on the road for the first time today (I've been too lazy about going to a showroom and taking a test-ride). Was pleasantly surprised to see that the orange wheels are not so bad looking in real life, especially when they are a bit dirty (orange lovers please don't jump all over me, it's just a personal opinion!). Also, the exhaust note sounded much better than I expected.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 8th November 2013 at 12:20. Reason: No mentions of top speeds. Rules are clear about this. Retained the remaining post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks