Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2014, 14:57   #2656
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
Fellow riders,

Been facing an issue with the 390 for the past couple of months, I was trying to avoid posting about it (basically, didn't want to bad mouth). However as neither the workshop nor myself has been able to diagnose the problem, I want to share and get your feedback.

Thanks
Surajit
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your inputs. The problem seems to have been rectified by the service center. Initial test rides are positives. The diagnosis was: Faulty Fuel Pump. They replaced it under warranty and bike seems to run fine. How and why the fuel pump went kaput is anybody's guess, could be a) Fuel impurity b) Part malfunction c) or just plain bad luck.

Anyways, anyone facing similar symptoms as my bike should suspect the Fuel Pump and have it inspected.

Ride safe,
Surajit
Old 12th August 2014, 15:15   #2657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
In spite of being a "modern" engine, any engine in the world requires at least half a minute of idling during a cold start IMHO.
Not at all. What do you or the engine stand to gain by this?

Quote:
Also, even if you are running the engine at 5000 RPM, that's 50% of the revs the engine can do.
That is true. Like I said, I keep the rpm in check and limit to 5000rpm with a cold engine. I don't aim to hit 5000rpm straight out of my garage. Our KTM engines are chilling even if you do hit 50% of the rpm range. You do know the kind of speeds our KTM's can get to within this rpm range.

Quote:
I believe it will have ill effects on the engine in the long run.
Nothing will happen. Do not worry.

I understand there is always individual preference on how each one wants to get going on a cold engine.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 12th August 2014 at 15:18.
Old 12th August 2014, 15:24   #2658
BANNED

Anyone tried aftermarket piggyback ecu like Power Commander, Bazzaz etc in their 390, I am talking about proper chip with 02 sensor and auto tune, not the Indian ones made by couple of tuners without O2 sensor.
As heard those chips are sorting out the issues related to odd idling speed, running hot, flat spots on certain RPM range etc.
Even one of my friend(he is professional dirt bike rider) was complaining about ABS activation during sudden instruction from the rider, bike is not able to take inputs very fast as per the riders reflections.
Old 12th August 2014, 16:33   #2659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Not at all. What do you or the engine stand to gain by this?
When I wake up in the morning, I need time to get rid of the grogginess, wake up completely, gain my composure, stretch, warm myself up, walk for a few minutes, gradually increase my walking speed and then start jogging. I believe my bike needs this too.
Call me stupid but this is how I see it!

On a serious note, any two parts moving against each other need lubrication between them. Just giving the pump a few seconds to pump the oil into the engine internals before making them do what they are designed to is all what I meant.
Added_flavor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 17:59   #2660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I wake up in the morning, I need time to get rid of the grogginess, wake up completely, gain my composure, stretch, warm myself up, walk for a few minutes, gradually increase my walking speed and then start jogging. I believe my bike needs this too.
Call me stupid but this is how I see it!

On a serious note, any two parts moving against each other need lubrication between them. Just giving the pump a few seconds to pump the oil into the engine internals before making them do what they are designed to is all what I meant.
The basics of the internal combustion engine have not changed for over a hundred years.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 18:17   #2661
BHPian

Quote:
I partially disagree with that. In spite of being a "modern" engine, any engine in the world requires at least half a minute of idling during a cold start IMHO.

Also, even if you are running the engine at 5000 RPM, that's 50% of the revs the engine can do.

I believe it will have ill effects on the engine in the long run. Just my 2 cents.
Seconded. Considering recent Bangalore weather, idling for a minute or two is a must. And I still do it, while I'm folding the bike cover and gearing up.
I attribute it to the weather. Usually, I started it around 6:30 AM. Of late, I'm doing it around 12-1 PM, as I'm usually busy during mornings, and it's spinning perfectly, without any stalls.

Did a 260 km/4 hour ride a couple of days back. While returning, observed the front wheel wouldn't turn properly, and would feel abnormally heavy. The 'rim-cracked' nightmares starting appearing in broad daylight. Checked the rim thoroughly. Checked the tires for punctures and the pressures as well. Turns out that my forks tightened up on their own. Bewildered, took it to the SVC, the lads there rectified in minutes, and now it's all perfect. Anyone else faced this issue?
Old 12th August 2014, 18:49   #2662
Senior - BHPian

Shooting in the dark - yesterday at around 8ish, I saw a custom painted Duke 390 on ring road at Marathahalli - the rider was wearing a HJC helmet and possibily a Cramster jacket, non-stock rear tyre and was riding very well.

Would like to know if the gentleman is a part of our group and if he is, would like to know more about the custom painting and the seats. (Seats where in green color and the painting looked to be of good quality, kind of orengish in base color.)

--Anoop
Old 14th August 2014, 12:58   #2663
BHPian

Hi all,
I am taking delivery of my 390 by 23rd August in Nagpur. Trying to sort out some paper work for the RTO as I am from an outside state. All my ID's have my native address and it seems the RTO here has tightened the procedures for registration if you don't have a permanent address proof in the city. Now doing whatever it takes to get it done. For information, I have a notarized rental agreement, a gas connection, a BSNL land line bill, Electricity Bills, Credit Card bills, ITR's, Official letters etc indicating my present address. But it seems that this may not be enough. As the showroom rep conveyed, we need an ID proof of the Land owner as well as a police verification report!!
A recent report in the times say it is partially true.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/10170530.cms
If somebody can advice on this scenario, please do help.
Received the quotation from KTM today and one thing got me confused. They are charging Rs.750 listed as service charges. I questioned the representative and he informed that it's their handling charges. I have heard about this gimmick, but kept silent as I thought I would take advice from all of you before I open my mouth.
Let me know your valuable thoughts. Has anybody in the forum paid handling charges for their orange wheels? Its not about money, but I hate somebody taking advantage of the situation.

Last edited by sharanvenu : 14th August 2014 at 13:01. Reason: link posted had some mistake
Old 14th August 2014, 14:11   #2664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
Hi all,
I am taking delivery of my 390 by 23rd August in Nagpur. Trying to sort out some paper work for the RTO as I am from an outside state.
Bro,

You can get a photo ID from post office - there is a form (here) for this and this photo ID can be used wherever a government issued Photo ID is required.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 14:17   #2665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... As the showroom rep conveyed, we need an ID proof of the Land owner as well as a police verification report!!

Has anybody in the forum paid handling charges for their orange wheels? Its not about money, but I hate somebody taking advantage of the situation.
Ouch! Thats a hectic process and a long list. Back in December last year, I gave only the ID proof, rental agreement and Rs.200/- to be given for the RTO agent to the showroom. They got the bike registered with no problems whatsoever. My 2 cents.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 15:01   #2666
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
I am taking delivery of my 390 by 23rd August in Nagpur. I have a notarized rental agreement, a gas connection, a BSNL land line bill, Electricity Bills, Credit Card bills, ITR's, Official letters etc indicating my present address. But it seems that this may not be enough.
A recent report in the times say it is partially true.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/10170530.cms
If somebody can advice on this scenario, please do help.
I faced the same issue at Goa last year when I went to register my 390. I was told that only 3 docs are acceptable as Address proof - 1. Driving License, 2. Voters ID 3. Passport. None of the other documents including the Aadhar card or notarized rental agreement, a gas connection, a BSNL land line bill, Electricity Bills, Credit Card bills etc were accepted.
After much coaxing and follow ups, my 390 was registered without any additional docs.

Quote:
Received the quotation from KTM today and one thing got me confused. They are charging Rs.750 listed as service charges. I questioned the representative and he informed that it's their handling charges.
Nope. No such charges are levied AFAIK at least not when I took delivery of my bike last November.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 18:55   #2667
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
I am taking delivery of my 390 by 23rd August in Nagpur. Trying to sort out some paper work for the RTO as I am from an outside state. All my ID's have my native address and it seems the RTO here has tightened the procedures for registration if you don't have a permanent address proof in the city. Now doing whatever it takes to get it done. For information, I have a notarized rental agreement....

....Has anybody in the forum paid handling charges for their orange wheels? Its not about money, but I hate somebody taking advantage of the situation.
I'm not a Bangalorean, but while purchasing my ride, the showroom folks asked for the notarized affidavit and a copy of the rental agreement. Having given them that, they handle the registration part. The charge (which was very minimal) was included in the registration charges itself. I even got my RC in 15 days, which is extremely quick considering it's Bangalore. For most people, it's a month or two.
I'd advise you to let it be handled by the showroom guys. Don't take un-necessary strain on yourself, mate!
Ride safe.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 04:37   #2668
BHPian

This thread has disintegrated into nothingness. About the most interesting thing anyone says is when they got delivery of a bike. Yawn

Last edited by 500modder : 17th August 2014 at 04:38.
500modder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 13:41   #2669
BHPian

Anyone heard of KTM refusing free service in Bangalore if one turns up 20 days later than coupon expiry but KMs are still in range?
Old 17th August 2014, 14:16   #2670
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
Anyone heard of KTM refusing free service in Bangalore if one turns up 20 days later than coupon expiry but KMs are still in range?

Not only KTM dealers, many two wheeler and 4 wheeler dealers follow this practise, as the dealers won't be able to claim the service charge from the company using the coupons.

And- monetary benefit for them clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks