Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2014, 15:44   #1906
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
If you refer to the post by junaid some pages back you will see it comes in black. White would really look off on that combo.
Yup referring to the same photo. In fact I forwarded that photo to the Sai Service and Bajaj guys as well. But no one seems to know anything about black hanguards.
Old 31st January 2014, 17:48   #1907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I thought you were interested in the 390 (recall your posts when I was testing it). Why did you not go in for one?
Poor 2 up touring capabilities, poor fuel range touring capabilities, and...poor touring capabilities! Did I mention poor touring capabilities?

Give me a 390 adventure and I will buy it. NOW. Over the 690.
Old 31st January 2014, 17:57   #1908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Poor 2 up touring capabilities, poor fuel range touring capabilities, and...poor touring capabilities! Did I mention poor touring capabilities?

Give me a 390 adventure and I will buy it. NOW. Over the 690.
You always knew it was exactly like the 200 with bigger engine, better tyres, and ABS. Period. So neither the pillion seat or the tank size should have come as any surprise to you. What then changed to suddenly make it a bad tourer from a bike you were interested in and following so keenly? Speaking of touring, its a better tourer than the 200 is. Much better. Just trying to understand which further boxes the bike did not tick for you.

Speaking of giving you an Adventure now, there is always something just over the horizon, around the corner. There's really no end to that.

Last edited by ebonho : 31st January 2014 at 18:10.
Old 31st January 2014, 18:09   #1909
BHPian

Here is a pic of a brand new Black D 390 with White Hand Guards. It is taken from Kartik Singhee's Twitter A/c. It is his new ride.

https://twitter.com/kartiksinghee/st...23022016880642

Last edited by coolrain : 31st January 2014 at 18:10.
coolrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 18:14   #1910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrain View Post
Here is a pic of a brand new Black D 390 with White Hand Guards. It is taken from Kartik Singhee's Twitter A/c. It is his new ride.

https://twitter.com/kartiksinghee/st...23022016880642
That does not look like a stock bike in terms of the absence of any graphics (tank shroud, engine fairing, etc.). The one posted by Junaid looked much more stock, untouched, with all the correct decals in place.

Last edited by ebonho : 31st January 2014 at 18:19.
Old 31st January 2014, 18:18   #1911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speaking of touring, its a better tourer than the 200 is. Much better.
Even better than the bull to me. Irrespective of the space available to carry stuff it makes up for the distance that it can cover in the same time. The overall average speed between my 500 and 390 just within city is down by over 15 minutes. And never once i felt tired while riding for over an hour continuously whereas i take a planned 15 min break after every 1 hr in my bull.

So far its been rode in places where fuel was never a problem. And my 500 with a 15L tank does almost the same distance as my 390. My 390 can do 240kms in a fill at a better FE compared to the bull. And i am ripping the bull to achieve the same average speed while the 390 is comfortably cruising

Ahhh..suddenly my White tank looks far more gorgeous for me

Last edited by VW2010 : 31st January 2014 at 18:19.
Old 31st January 2014, 18:24   #1912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Even better than the bull to me. Irrespective of the space available to carry stuff it makes up for the distance that it can cover in the same time. The overall average speed between my 500 and 390 just within city is down by over 15 minutes. And never once i felt tired while riding for over an hour continuously whereas i take a planned 15 min break after every 1 hr in my bull.

So far its been rode in places where fuel was never a problem. And my 500 with a 15L tank does almost the same distance as my 390. My 390 can do 240kms in a fill at a better FE compared to the bull. And i am ripping the bull to achieve the same average speed while the 390 is comfortably cruising
Luggage carrying there is no difference between a Duke and any other bike out there. That is, normal luggage one would need. Not commenting on the fetish a certain group of bikers have of carrying enough to set up temporary residence at their destination - complete with guest bedroom and servants quarters with attached toilet/s.

Yes, the Duke was never built for two up touring. For that, there are other bikes which do it better.

And yes, the Duke should at least have a 15 liter tank, if not 18 liters. At least an after market option from Bajaj (NOT PowerParts) should be made available.

Last edited by ebonho : 31st January 2014 at 18:36.
Old 31st January 2014, 18:45   #1913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You always knew it was exactly like the 200 with bigger engine, better tyres, and ABS. Period. So neither the pillion seat or the tank size should have come as any surprise to you. What then changed to suddenly make it a bad tourer from a bike you were interested in and following so keenly? Speaking of touring, its a better tourer than the 200 is. Much better. Just trying to understand which further boxes the bike did not tick for you.

Speaking of giving you an Adventure now, there is always something just over the horizon, around the corner. There's really no end to that.
I really don't think this bike is a good sports or adventure tourer and that was my priority. I don't intend to ride a bike in the city as I consider it suicidal. I need a bike only to tour with another person and capacity to carry luggage. The 390 in its current avatar does not satisfy it.

If you go back on this thread or one of the 390 threads on this forum you will find my post very very early on of a render of a 390 adventure with a straight and not stepped seat along with a bigger tank. If I receive that in this 390 I will buy it.

I don't like buying and selling and upgrading perennially. I like to buy one thing and stick with it after due deliberation.

If the 690 comes as a touring version I will get it. Ditto with the 390. Am not into nakeds. Just not me. And not into bullets either! And the 650 as an adventure tourer? No. Sports tourer at best. And attracts too much attention. I don't want something that attracts attention.

And I followed the bike launch because it was the single most anticipated bike in the industry like forever. Tell me it wasn't. But I took a test drive of the 200 before the 390 came out with a pillion on board and I got off it.
Old 31st January 2014, 22:26   #1914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really don't think this bike is a good sports or adventure tourer and that was my priority. I don't intend to ride a bike in the city as I consider it suicidal. I need a bike only to tour with another person and capacity to carry luggage. The 390 in its current avatar does not satisfy it.

If you go back on this thread or one of the 390 threads on this forum you will find my post very very early on of a render of a 390 adventure with a straight and not stepped seat along with a bigger tank. If I receive that in this 390 I will buy it.

I don't like buying and selling and upgrading perennially. I like to buy one thing and stick with it after due deliberation.

If the 690 comes as a touring version I will get it. Ditto with the 390. Am not into nakeds. Just not me. And not into bullets either! And the 650 as an adventure tourer? No. Sports tourer at best. And attracts too much attention. I don't want something that attracts attention.

And I followed the bike launch because it was the single most anticipated bike in the industry like forever. Tell me it wasn't. But I took a test drive of the 200 before the 390 came out with a pillion on board and I got off it.
Valid points bro. Adventure tourer it is not. Not with those alloys and tyres most definitely, and not with a 200+ km tank range. Maybe the rumored 223 cc Karizma-engined Impulse then. Because other than the hardcore big dollar imports like the BMW GS 800 and 1200 and the Triumph Tiger now, I can't think of another bike that would fit your bill. Or wait for the Huskies (2015-16) or the long rumored Honda CR 250. There was even some talk a few years ago of a Chennai(?) based company getting in a diesel engined variant of the KLR650 designed for US special forces!

Last edited by ebonho : 31st January 2014 at 22:29.
Old 31st January 2014, 22:59   #1915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Valid points bro. Adventure tourer it is not. Not with those alloys and tyres most definitely, and not with a 200+ km tank range. Maybe the rumored 223 cc Karizma-engined Impulse then. Because other than the hardcore big dollar imports like the BMW GS 800 and 1200 and the Triumph Tiger now, I can't think of another bike that would fit your bill. Or wait for the Huskies (2015-16) or the long rumored Honda CR 250. There was even some talk a few years ago of a Chennai(?) based company getting in a diesel engined variant of the KLR650 designed for US special forces!
No, none of these options tingle me you (don't) want to know where. All these naked's are ridiculous. Not going to spend that kind of money for an adventure tourer which I want to throw around everywhere.

Maybe I'll satisfy myself by getting a used 390 sometime next year when a few of these bikes get into the used market. Run it around a little and save on the depreciation costs.

Advy tourers are what we need to tour. Hell, the way the roads look in our cities, we need 'em right here to go fetch eggs for breakfast!

Will just have to wait it out and see what the market throws up for adventure tourers. Right now, it's me throwing up.

This I want this! Look at that beautiful saddle bag extension over on the tail...makes a grown man wanna cry!
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-adventure-ktm.jpg  

Last edited by Red Liner : 31st January 2014 at 23:05.
Old 31st January 2014, 23:17   #1916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This I want this! Look at that beautiful saddle bag extension over on the tail...makes a grown man wanna cry!
This will cost around 24+ lacs in India. Now that is definitely going to make me cry. Tears of blood. With a little Indian ingenuity and tinkering, will make the 690 somewhat into something like this. No problem.

My philosophy of riding is simple. Ride what you have on the road, rather than waiting (indefinitely) riding what you don't have in your daydreams.

Your used 390 idea is good. Exactly what I am suggesting a friend to do with a used 200 in place of his Lightning 500 which he plans to sell.

Last edited by ebonho : 31st January 2014 at 23:18.
Old 1st February 2014, 10:05   #1917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This will cost around 24+ lacs in India. Now that is definitely going to make me cry. Tears of blood. With a little Indian ingenuity and tinkering, will make the 690 somewhat into something like this. No problem.

My philosophy of riding is simple. Ride what you have on the road, rather than waiting (indefinitely) riding what you don't have in your daydream

Your used 390 idea is good. Exactly what I am suggesting a friend to do with a used 200 in place of his Lightning 500 which he plans to sell.
Yeah and do whatever modifications I want on the bike without killing myself financially.
Old 1st February 2014, 11:19   #1918
BHPian

Does anyone coming for tomorrow's 390 track day know if we have to bring anything other than our bike and safety gear? The guy who registered me on the phone said 'just show up and we'll take care of the rest'. However, the Facebook post mentioned life\medical insurance. Did they just mean you need to be covered, or do we need to bring proof with us?
Old 1st February 2014, 11:37   #1919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
Does anyone coming for tomorrow's 390 track day know if we have to bring anything other than our bike and safety gear? The guy who registered me on the phone said 'just show up and we'll take care of the rest'. However, the Facebook post mentioned life\medical insurance. Did they just mean you need to be covered, or do we need to bring proof with us?
They only meant that you better be covered with some life/medical insurance as the endeavor that you are undertaking is a risky one. So it is preferred that you have one and it is not mandatory. You could carry a photocopy of the same in case if it concerns you. But it is your risk at the end (I mean racing in the track as it will obviously a speedy affair). While you are a spectator, please take as many pics as possible and also share with us your learning and experience ( for the benefit of those who could not make it to the track)

Last edited by ashkamath : 1st February 2014 at 11:40.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 22:52   #1920
BHPian

Quote:

Yup referring to the same photo. In fact I forwarded that photo to the Sai Service and Bajaj guys as well. But no one seems to know anything about black hanguards.

Yes, the Black 390 comes only with black handguards. How is it possible that the Bajaj guys are unaware of the same?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks