Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2014, 18:24   #1951
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Well I am quite sure mine cuts in at 8500 and have unsuccessfully requested the dealership to extend it.
Hey man, i downloaded the Duke 390 owner's manual off the KTM site & it appears you can set the engine speed & shift warning light manually on your bike. This info is on page 47 & 48 of the file, do look it up. Hope i'm not wrong, but if i am, apologies!

Cheers!
Old 9th February 2014, 18:41   #1952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
I have heard few others say the same but it puzzles me as to how this is possible because even with a moderately heavy pillion, I have never encountered this problem. And the gap between hugger and reflector is quite huge! The only thing I can think of is a really heavy rider with 'softest' setting on the rear shock. Anyone who has had this issue, could you please try adjusting it to a harder setting and see if it repeats?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Mudguard reflector hitting the tyre hugger? never happened with me. are you sure about it doc? you said you went on a nice straight road and it was not even a potholed road or a road hump / rumbler? May be the chain is slack and hitting the chain cover? ( Chain slackens very soon in initial few hundred kilometers. Mine slackened in less than first 300 Kms).
The hugger, integrated with the saree guard is not adjustable fitment and so is the mudguard reflector. and this issue has not been reported with 390s. So are we having a new issue with the new lot of 390s?
This is an ancient (as ancient as the 200s that is ....) problem of the Dukes, discussed and dissected ( and finally isolated and identified) in detail in my Baby Duke thread. Reported across owner groups and forums. Surprised neither of you know of it. So much so that Bajaj and KTM have finally accepted such and made a change to the rear overhang mudguard (described here some pages back).

It has nothing to do with either the chain or the rear shocker pre-load setting. Simply put, the hugger is an Indian design/functional element added to the KTM (Kiska) design at a later date. AFAIK none of the export Dukes have it. The overseas brochures and marketing material definitely do not show it.

Last edited by ebonho : 9th February 2014 at 18:53.
Old 9th February 2014, 22:09   #1953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
This is an ancient (as ancient as the 200s that is ....) problem of the Dukes, discussed and dissected ( and finally isolated and identified) in detail in my Baby Duke thread. Reported across owner groups and forums. Surprised neither of you know of it. So much so that Bajaj and KTM have finally accepted such and made a change to the rear overhang mudguard (described here some pages back).
Doc. First. we have owned a duke for only a couple of months against your years of experience with KTM. So you can excuse us if we did overlook this issue.
second, I never had this issue nor none of my friends in Goa riding a duke faced this issue. So I was not exposed to this issue first hand.
Third, if Bajaj and KTM accept and made a change to rear overhang we shouldn't be discussing it right now ( simply because the issue is already taken care of), but the fact remain that you reported it in a brand new bike meaning it is still an issue.
Fourth, I have been through the threads and am aware of this matter but since I never faced this problem or in my circle, I just gave it a cursory thought and no more. (human tendency: as long as the issue does not affect personally we tend to ignore it)
Finally all I feel is get rid of the tyre hugger (like I did eventually) and all is well in the dukedom
Old 9th February 2014, 22:19   #1954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc. First. we have owned a duke for only a couple of months against your years of experience with KTM. So you can excuse us if we did overlook this issue.
Years? LOL 2 on the 22nd of this month.

Quote:
second, I never had this issue nor none of my friends in Goa riding a duke faced this issue. So I was not exposed to this issue first hand.
Its been reported by many. A tak tak fiber hitting fiber sound. Not metal hitting fiber. And the marks on the hugger are conclusive evidence.

Quote:
Third, if Bajaj and KTM accept and made a change to rear overhang we shouldn't be discussing it right now ( simply because the issue is already taken care of), but the fact remain that you reported it in a brand new bike meaning it is still an issue.
The solution is no solution at all. Short of redesigning the hugger or the mudguard, there is no solution. The two will and do hit.

Quote:
Fourth, I have been through the threads and am aware of this matter but since I never faced this problem or in my circle, I just gave it a cursory thought and no more. (human tendency: as long as the issue does not affect personally we tend to ignore it)
How long did you keep the hugger on before removing it?

Quote:
Finally all I feel is get rid of the tyre hugger (like I did eventually) and all is well in the dukedom
This is the only real solution. The saree guard and hugger are Indian adaptations to a KTM design. Adaptations that are not perfect. The saree guard's weight (and unbalanced one sided weight at that) over time with vibrations loosens the whole assembly and may sometime even cause it to shear off or the retaining bolts fall off, which could lead to the entire assembly coming off dangerously while on the move. Not to mention sometimes the bolts stripping the threads or shearing off pieces of the expensive allot swingarm as well. The kat kat is a super irritant. No two ways around that one though. Was such an aural pleasure when it finally came off.

P.S. Ashok ji

Last edited by ebonho : 9th February 2014 at 22:39.
Old 9th February 2014, 22:39   #1955
BHPian

Quote:
How long did you keep the hugger on before removing it?
I think I kept it less than 24 hours. In fact I got it removed at the time of delivery :(
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 10:08   #1956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I kept it less than 24 hours. In fact I got it removed at the time of delivery :(
Nothing to be sad about. In fact the hugger looks ugly and a clean looking KTM is a disgrace . I like my KTM dirty, dusty and spilling any possible liquid on the road over your rear seats.
Old 10th February 2014, 13:33   #1957
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Some mods over the weekend..

1. got 2 LED AUX lights fitted to the bike. 10W each. Both of them combined are more powerful then the OEM halogen. Here the link to the light.

http://a2z-motorcycle-superstore.com...x#.UviGD_vGD2g

2. Mounted a Bhopu horn on the handle.. just like that..
3. fitted orange reflectors on the radiator side plastic shroud.

some no so good quality pics below:
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-01-01.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-01-02.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-01-03.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-01-04.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-01-05.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-01-06.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-01-07.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-01-08.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-01-09.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 13:43   #1958
BHPian

Quote:

It has nothing to do with either the chain or the rear shocker pre-load setting. Simply put, the hugger is an Indian design/functional element added to the KTM (Kiska) design at a later date. AFAIK none of the export Dukes have it. The overseas brochures and marketing material definitely do not show it.
Like I mentioned, I have heard of this issue before but all i was trying to say is that I have never personally experienced this with either myself or with a moderately heavy pillion even on bumps/bad roads. Dunno how heavy you are though

Anyways, I prefer to leave on the tyre hugger because not everything about a vehicle is for the owner/rider. The tyre hugger serves a very important safety role for people behind you. I curse anyone that moves around the city without a mudgaurd/tyre hugger because of the way it can dangerously throw stones/muck at you and damange either your helmet visor or your face if you aren't wearing one or at the least your vehicle headlights. So my sincere request to everyone is atleast if not for the tyre hugger get some kind of cover that does cover atlest some part of the rear part of the tire for the safety of others. This is a sincere request.

Last edited by Cyrus_the_virus : 10th February 2014 at 13:45.
Old 10th February 2014, 13:49   #1959
Senior - BHPian

Is that 3000 bucks for one light or for the pair?

The light looks good bro.
Old 10th February 2014, 14:03   #1960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May be the chain is slack and hitting the chain cover
Though I have some noise coming from the rear when I hit a pot hole, I have yet to figure out where it is coming from. I have the hugger still in place, saree guard removed. On inspection of the motorcycle, I have found the chain guard super flimsy. It runs really close to the tire hugger frame that bolts on to the swing arm. If you flex the chain guard side ways, it easily makes contact with the tire hugger frame and does seem to make a similar noise. It is difficult to trace the problem when you riding. I am quite sure the noise is coming from the chain guard slapping against the tire hugger frame.
Old 10th February 2014, 15:08   #1961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that 3000 bucks for one light or for the pair?

The light looks good bro.
how i wish.. 3000 bucks for a single.. :(
Its the jigani to bangalore commute (25 kms) which i do every night from office to home, which pushed me to give it shot.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 15:15   #1962
Senior - BHPian

@Nasirkaka:

Where do you have the switch for the lights?

How have you connected them? Any leads been skinned or cut?

BTW, just a thought: you now have the perfect place to suspend the number plate from, under the headlight!

Lights look good & so does the reflector. Let us know your Bhopu horn is very effective in getting the trucks to notice you!

I remember seeing LED lights at bikingspirit for around 4k.
Old 10th February 2014, 16:28   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where do you have the switch for the lights?

Parking light ON position switches on the parking light + the aux lights

How have you connected them?
Any leads been skinned or cut?
Connected to the parking lamp wire inside the head lamp assembly, by making a small splice in the wire)

BTW, just a thought: you now have the perfect place to suspend the number plate from, under the headlight!
Never thought about it.. guess it worth exploration.

Lights look good & so does the reflector. Let us know your Bhopu horn is very effective in getting the trucks to notice you!
that bhopu horn purchased for my trek cycle was lying unused, so generally mounted it on the 390. Even my C5 has a small old style cycle ganti on its handlebar.. to be used incase everything fails

I remember seeing LED lights at bikingspirit for around 4k.
4 k for a pair? the ones i got costed 3k for a single light.
Old 11th February 2014, 14:34   #1964
BHPian

I have asked this question before to no avail, but I dont give up easily, especially when its my better half thats concerned.

The problem is that of the pillion seat. The seat in its stock form is hard and too small to be comfortable. Now the only option that i can think of is going to one of the numerous seat hacks across Mumbai and getting them to add some cushion. But that would only soften it up a bit.

My questions are -
1. Is there any other option than a seat hack to get a more comfortable and ergonomic pillion seat?
2. Is there a good seat maker (professional?) that anybody would recommend?
3. Any ideas on making the seat a little broader without eliminating the basic fibre structure of the seat?
Old 11th February 2014, 17:38   #1965
BHPian

A few inputs from my side.
I met a fellow Duker (390) at Poolgate Junction a few days ago. We stopped to the side & had a brief chat during which he casually asked me whether I had received a call from KTM regarding replacing the plastic part below the Pillion seat. I was surprised. Apparently, the said part in some bikes from the earlier lots is made of hard plastic & breaks easily. (I assume while hitting a pot hole at decent speed with a pillion on board). The Co. is offering free replacement with a softer one which is flexible. I made a mental note to get it replaced asap.

I finally found time to visit the Service Station last Saturday afternoon. A couple of other issues needed to be sorted out. First & foremost, my Duke's firing has changed a lot. It is softer but a lot more bass. I have checked with at least 3 other bikes but still the sound was different. One bike had done about 1K kms & another was over 4K. Second job was to shift the Rev Limited to 9K rpm. (I have done about 2800 kms). Third was replacing the plastic part.

I went there & told them I got a call regarding the replacement. The SA, Mr Sachin, checked his computer & began making a Job Card. I listed the jobs to be carried out. For the change in the exhaust note, he side it might be due to a clogged Air Filter. They opened the seat & took out the filter. It had some dust but wasn't dirty. It was promptly blown with air a couple of times & re-fitted.

Next was the under-seat plastic part. It is just a plastic cladding under the pillion's seat. It basically covers the under-seat storage area including the battery from below. It was replaced within a few minutes. Then the Rev Limited was adjusted. I even got the Front Disc Pads scrubbed with Sand Paper as they were brushing against the Disc leading to an irritating creaking noise while riding.

All this took about 30-40 mins. I could not feel any significant difference in the exhaust note, maybe 5-10% at the max. Mr. Sachin assured me that he would check for the issue in other bikes as well & update me once I am back for the next service. I wasn't charged anything.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks