Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2014, 21:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Best "Family Bike" in the 70-80K range?

I own a Honda unicorn Dazzler and my brother in law owns Suzuki GS150R.So i have used both the bikes extensively.
Honda dazzler is a bit heavy on maintenance as i feel spare parts are locally made and not long lasting.Imagine changing chain sprocket every 15-20k for 2000rs plus maintaining it by using chain spray for every 400kms or it will be noisy.Already changed mono suspension within 35000kms once.
Positive side: Bike is so nimble for a 150cc,good refinement,excellent low riding stance,Got comfortable seats for both pillion and rider.

GS150R on other side is relatively maintenance free,Closed chain, Engine is still so refined after 55000kms.You can never feel the speed,100 feels like 60.Most comfortable seats if you are tall enough to handle it.
Best for highways but dazzler is better in city because of light weight.

Yamaha SZ-X/R also seems to be a good option.

Impulse is too tall for pillion riders so please ignore it.I am 5"11 and had problem climbing into the pillion seat.

So you can choose trigger,SZ-R or GS150r depending on your requirement.
rock18 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
I own a Honda unicorn Dazzler and my brother in law owns Suzuki GS150R.So i have used both the bikes extensively.
Honda dazzler is a bit heavy on maintenance as i feel spare parts are locally made and not long lasting.Imagine changing chain sprocket every 15-20k for 2000rs plus maintaining it by using chain spray for every 400kms or it will be noisy.Already changed mono suspension within 35000kms once.
Positive side: Bike is so nimble for a 150cc,good refinement,excellent low riding stance,Got comfortable seats for both pillion and rider.

GS150R on other side is relatively maintenance free,Closed chain, Engine is still so refined after 55000kms.You can never feel the speed,100 feels like 60.Most comfortable seats if you are tall enough to handle it.
Best for highways but dazzler is better in city because of light weight.

Yamaha SZ-X/R also seems to be a good option.

Impulse is too tall for pillion riders so please ignore it.I am 5"11 and had problem climbing into the pillion seat.

So you can choose trigger,SZ-R or GS150r depending on your requirement.
Thanks for the inputs buddy. What about Trigger vs Unicorn if we decided to stay with Hondas (reliability, refinement, quality, service network)?

Yamaha SZ-X/R are 125 cc bikes right? Some 11 odd bhp. Why go for 125 cc when 150 cc bikes are coming in this budget?
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:31   #18
BHPian

Yamaha SZ-X is a 150cc commuter bike,Mileage is around 46-48kmpl as per the ownership report here, Its a decent commuter bike.Just test drive it once.you might like it.
I owned a Suzuki fiero before,so as far as engine reliability goes,i would rank suzuki's engine above Honda's engine.
Dazzler is a good bike but quality of parts are questionable,same applicable to unicorn also.
E.g Handlebar price of unicorn and dazzler is above 400rs, Pulsar is around 300-350rs,Hero honda cbz-X,hunk are all around 300rs.

I would suggest you to test drive Trigger,CB unicorn,GS150R,SZ-R along with your kids and see which one you like.
All are good bikes so its just a matter of your choice.
Small things here and there can be ignored.

Alternatively you can consider buying a used 2010-11 nano for the same price :-). It will be safer,more comfortable and can easily seat 4-5 people.
It can be used like a bike seriously.
rock18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:41   #19
BHPian

I had a 2012 Honda Unicorn before upgrading to the Duke 200. Also had one of the older Unicorns when I was in college. Friends have owned/own the P180, Hero Extreme, TVS Apache and Avenger and I've ridden them so I can talk about these.

Warning: I liked the Unicorn a lot so it might be a tad biased (or even more so)

1) Unicorn: You mentioned the new Unicorns are more plasticky and not as good as the original. Well spokes changed to alloys but otherwise it's the same. Newer ones look a little more premium IMHO. Still as bomb proof as the old ones. Service on time and forget about it. 17,5** KM in the year that I owned the new one and all I changed was the brake pad - twice. Everything else was regular service and oil change. It was my daily ride and I did numerous short trips on it, daily ride and a nearly 3500 km ride towards the end of 2012. Extremely comfortable both seating and ride quality through all that. I was always fresh and my mother loved sitting at the back and taking in the views.

The Unicorn I had in college was not as well taken care of. There was age related wear and tear as I bought it second hand but I once I got it fixed. Ran like a charm for 2 plus years. No regrets. Regular service as usual nothing more. College was in a coastal area and didn't have rust issues either ( except the number plate ).

For an older person the seating height and comfort are very good. Fun, fun ride. I'll always remember it fondly.

cons: A) Handling isn't the greatest. It's not as nimble as say an Apache but does what it's supposed to.
B) Cold start issues. I had to use a choke to start it, always. Rode it for like 500m with a choke and no issues after that.
C) It does feel a bit heavy but I liked that it was. This is personal I suppose. Obviously this contributes to handling as mentioned above.
D) Honda service wasn't up to the mark. It was up to me to ensure I got things done right - thankfully no major issues. Learned more about motorcycles so this was a plus I guess.
E) On the highway you'll find you want to go a little faster. 75-85 is the sweet spot. I've maintained 90-95 but the engine feels stressed. Very planted at all speeds though though you lose faith in the braking post 85 clicks.

2) P180: Enough power for the needs of most riders. It's not as unreliable as it's made out to be. Maintained well it'll run just fine for many years. Bajaj service is definitely a plus. Personally the seat is quite comfortable even if you don't sit as bolt upright as you do as on a Unicorn. Not as comfortable as the Unicorn but it's not the worst, can live with it. For your requirement here, the Unicorn tank rates higher but this should do too. VFM motorcycle in many ways.

- Definitely the better handler but it should be as it's far more performance oriented than the Unicorn.
- Short highway runs it's a great companion.

3) Apache: More committed seating opposition. Harsher engine than even the Pulsar. Superior handling to anything else listed here, this isn't even close. But for me as a commuter, the seating and engine vibes kill it right there especially for someone that's middle aged. I don't think this will be the most comfortable experience. Fun - yes, absolutely! Does come with ABS though. If not for that it'd be off my list. Also tires have to be upgraded, Zapper Q was good enough. You also get PSD's for them if I'm not wrong. Put that together with ABS and it'll be great if you can live with the seating and slightly harsher ride quality. Maybe this is hit and miss in terms of seating. You might have to ride it to know how you like it.

4) Avenger: Great highway cruiser, slightly heavy for city usage. Seating is comfortable, although the back seat feels awkward. I don't know if that's because I'm 6 feet plus. Braking is definitely the weakest of the lot mentioned here. Not my pick even if it's a great highway mile muncher. Every other bike does it too and has other advantages.

5) Extreme: The most plasticky and not as well put together of this set of bikes. I felt like it would just one fall away from coming apart (owners please excuse me here). Same engine as the Unicorn of course but doesn't feel as refined. It's tuned a little higher and altogether I just didn't feel too comfortable on it. Ride position is more or less the same, a little more committed than the Unicorn. On the plus side good maneuverability - feels more nimble to ride than all but the Apache.

What I haven't mentioned here is the GS150R. Definitely worth looking at, I don't know how many Suzuki service centers are around and how good they are. If you can find out about that might be worth picking up. It's more modern than the Unicorn for sure.

Verdict:

It's between the Unicorn, P180 and GS150R (maybe FZ-S, don't know about it) for me.

I've never met a person no matter how old who's turned down a bigger engine. So if there's no major issues of the back - the P180 would be a good pick up. It'll satisfy the rider for a long time to come in every possible way. It's powerful enough to not consider moving up and the seating comfort, ride quality are more than livable with.

If this feels too committed then I would go with the Unicorn. It'll last forever with minimal maintenance.

GS150R, FZ-S - I can't comment without experience. From the looks of it both have terrific parts quality and excellent reliability. No idea about ride details.

Hope that helps! My apologies for being verbose
ashwin23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 00:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
What about the complaints of rusting, wheel alignment issues, etc. for the Suzuk GS 150R? Suzuki's service (and spares) network is also as wide in Pune at least. Plus the seat is pretty stepped and the tank slope quite abrupt. But yes, I love the dash/console with the big analog tacho.
Your are right Sir. My neighbour family has two Unicorns. 1 is the old one and other the CB Unicorn and yes the CB model is not quite as good as the earlier version. But trust me, the only negative point which the newer model has over the earlier one is that of a lower fuel efficiency and the quality of nuts and bolts(this is not that big a difference, but the older Unicorn's nuts and bolts are made to last a lifetime), nothing else!

1 more very important thing in favour of these two bikes is the chain cover.
In our typical Indian conditions the chain cover is a boon. Without it the drive chain gets exposed to all the elements like mud, small pebbles, dust, grime and they damage the chain quite badly.

These open chains are just not meant for Indian conditions.

Secondly, if I can trust my memory then the Trigger is even shorter in length than the Dazzler which is further shorter than the Unicorn. A difference of 50mm as compared to the Unicorn. And the same neighbour when I lent him my bike complained to me - "Arey family ke saath tere bike pe nai jamta, mera Unicorn hi sahi hain". He was referring to the space with he,wifey and a child.
And yes, the Trigger is even shorter in height, which will further lower with the pillion and might scrape the underbody too once in a while.

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 23rd January 2014 at 00:56.
Octane_Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 01:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Bhargav. What are your views on the Yams and the Hero Impulse?
Old 23rd January 2014, 10:55   #22
BHPian

I'd pitch for the Impulse,assuming the gentleman is comfortable with it's seat height. It offers a butter-smooth ride and has a long seat which will accommodate his kids comfortably (I should know, my kids prefer my Impulse to the Duke anytime the three of us are heading anywhere). Negatives are poor headlights and the lack of protection from the crud thrown up by the front wheel.

If not the Impulse, I've vote for the CB Trigger. The Unicorn is too dated, the GS150R if I remember correctly has a steepish tank.
airfoil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:13   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
talking about kid ON on the seat in front of the rider just before the tank.
Is that safe?

I would suggest a scooty for now (and that too with kids in the backseat if need be to ferry 'em, else a Nano/800/Alto)
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yes Sheel its not the safest thing to be doing. Though even I and many other dads across the country do it. And why would a Samurai guy sell his bike and buy a scooty man?

What are your views on the choice of bike in this price range with these requirements bro?

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd January 2014 at 11:42.
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bhargav. What are your views on the Yams and the Hero Impulse?
Hmm.. Looking at the Yamaha stable, I feel the FZ or the Fazer are not fit for ferrying 3 people; the seat is quite short.
And other is the SZ-R and its sibling right? They are just entry level 150 cc bikes for those who want the tag of owning a 150 cc bike; and yes it has a problem with rusting too.

Hero Impulse I cannot comment much. But from what I've heard and read about the bike, it is an off-roader just by looks. The engine isn't as powerful and also the stock tires are of quite a hard compound, which may compromise safety in rains.
To be frank, I personally do not like the looks of the bike, looks quite puny and definitely wouldn't go nice with a family man. Doesn't have that "Gentleman" feel to it.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 14:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Hmm.. Looking at the Yamaha stable, I feel the FZ or the Fazer are not fit for ferrying 3 people; the seat is quite short.
And other is the SZ-R and its sibling right? They are just entry level 150 cc bikes for those who want the tag of owning a 150 cc bike; and yes it has a problem with rusting too.
Yes I am talking about the SZ series (SZ/SZ-X/SZ-R/SZ-RR) the terminology is confusing. Basically same engine, but the topvariant has tank scoops and front disc brake extra.

They are 153 cc but down on bhp compared to the Hondas and Suzuki. The seat and tank though are pretty commuterish compared to the more radical FZ series Yams. Also is it true that model for model, the Yams are less fuel efficient compared to the Hondas and Suzuki? For example, the SZ series commuters are supposed to have lower mileage than the Unicorn/Trigger and the GS150R. So neither power nor mileage, but geared short for great in-city low and mid range. They are much cheaper than the others though.
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:06   #27
Team-BHP Support

SZ-RR? That is a new one.

I have ridden this bike & very honestly, it is not worth. The FE is low (wrt to competition). I am yet to see a new GS 150R, don't know the reason.

I would go with either Hero or Honda bikes. Either. They are same under skin anyways. Though Honda is smoother.

Just heard that Suzuki is coming with a naked 150, maybe one can wait for it.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 13:14   #28
BHPian

Bro,

why not an activa? Best for groceries. You can make a kid stand in front (not safe though)

In bikes, I would recommend a splendor. I believe it will be comfortable for the purpose.

Bullet also has comfortable tank slope (but why have such a heavy bike when you are carrying kids)

Actually, 80k will get you a used splendor and a new activa.

Try these once. 100 c.c.s aren't that bad.

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 24th January 2014 at 13:17.
Old 24th January 2014, 14:02   #29
BHPian

I'd suggest the Honda CB Trigger any day. I've used the Unicorn for about 70,000 kms, and even at that mileage the performance was almost equal to that of a new bike. It never felt old, and the gear changes were so precise and the clutch and every part of the bike behaved young. (There was another fact that from day 1 I shifted the gears with proper rev matching).

Finally when I had to sell the bike due to some health problems and need for cash, the first guy who came to check the bike took it for a ride and came back in five mins, with full cash, ready for payment. The CB Trigger being the next gen of the Unicorn, I expect more or less the same reliability and long-term performance from it. Not suggesting the CB Unicorn just because it's a bit old.
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 14:10   #30
BHPian

The Impulse will make a mess of your pants/legs in the rains.

+1 to CB Trigger from my side too. Or if you want the classic look, take the CB Unicorn.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks