Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:49   #106
BHPian

Re: Good 150cc commuter bike

I would suggest that you go for Honda Unicorn or if you are willing to wait Hero Xtreme Sport edition should be out in January time frame.
Old 4th November 2014, 15:00   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
e centres.

Unicorn:
Cons:
5) Poor service available from Honda ASS.
6) Poor shock absorbing capability from the rear shock (My personal opinion. I never felt suspension to be good enough on bad roads)
7) Boring machine to drive not a driver engaging one.
I have owned a Unicorn for 75000 Kms and trust me, all the three points above for the Unicorn are not true completely.

Point 5: After Hero and Bajaj, Honda has the most service outlets and the quality is better than Bajaj. Much better than TVS or Suzuki for sure!!

Point 6: Unicorn Mono Suspension is better than most you will find in the 150 cc segment (CBZ / Apache / Discover / FZ), you need to tune it for your riding style.

Point 7: Unicorn has a typical Honda engine, I will compare it to the Civic amongst cars. Poor low end but strong Mid and High Range. A Unicorn will shame a Pulsor and CBZ anyday on a Long Highway ride. Its only during the 0-25 that you will find it boring.

Yes, Unicorn has a silent engine note which is considered Un-Sporty by some, but put in a K&N in a Unicorn and trust me, the sound blows away your mind!! (Heard a couple of Unicorns on Marine Drive, not experienced the drive myself)
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 22:14   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I have owned a Unicorn for 75000 Kms and trust me, all the three points above for the Unicorn are not true completely.

Point 5: After Hero and Bajaj, Honda has the most service outlets and the quality is better than Bajaj. Much better than TVS or Suzuki for sure!!
I wish it were true, not the same in Pune at least. Customers are taken for granted and they have to always shout their way out to achieve the desired results. So one cannot say for sure, it all depends on a particular service centres practices.
Quote:
Point 6: Unicorn Mono Suspension is better than most you will find in the 150 cc segment (CBZ / Apache / Discover / FZ), you need to tune it for your riding style.
Personally I feel more comfortable on an apache for sure as compared to Unicorn. If adjusting the monoshock can change things it will be good. In apache its not the suspension but the sitting posture that kills you.Even Pulsar I found more comfortable than Unicorn.

A buyer really needs to take a testdrive over bad roads and decide.

Quote:
Point 7: Unicorn has a typical Honda engine, I will compare it to the Civic amongst cars. Poor low end but strong Mid and High Range. A Unicorn will shame a Pulsor and CBZ anyday on a Long Highway ride. Its only during the 0-25 that you will find it boring.
Unicorns are boring to drive because of the silent engine, which is also a very plus point for long touring. But its not just the exhaust note, its the throttle response, the heavy weight which causes lack of flickability and the not so good bite of the brakes which makes the driving less involving.

But nice to know that your Unicorn has touched 75k kms and still going strong.

3 of my friends Unicorn have had engine failures (read sipping more engine oil) at less than 50k kms. They have often faced problems with electricals and switches too. Most of these Unicorns were earlier generation Unicorns, but it seems the new ones are better? So I cannot boast of Unicorn's reliability although I would never say its bad, but for sure not bullet proof as considered of Honda to be!

Still I would say its one of the best touring machines due to its spacious uncramped seating position. Silky smooth engine and the extra weight does add stability to the vehicle on highways.
Old 4th November 2014, 22:25   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Any backing for this claim? Unicorn's engine has been tuned by hero to make 14.2 bhp on Hunk and CBZ and all of them weigh almost the same, Unicorn makes 13.48 bhp.
Old 4th November 2014, 22:40   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Any backing for this claim? Unicorn's engine has been tuned by hero to make 14.2 bhp on Hunk and CBZ and all of them weigh almost the same, Unicorn makes 13.48 bhp.
I don't know if it was since re-tuned, the original figure was 13.3hp for the Unicorn and 14.2bhp for the CBZ-Xtreme and Hunk when launched for the first time. None of these are very good at top end, but I expect the Unicorn was outclassed on power past 8000rpm by the CBZ-X, losing out on refinement.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 06:03   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I don't know if it was since re-tuned, the original figure was 13.3hp for the Unicorn and 14.2bhp for the CBZ-Xtreme and Hunk when launched for the first time. None of these are very good at top end, but I expect the Unicorn was outclassed on power past 8000rpm by the CBZ-X, losing out on refinement.
Yes, you are right, back in those days when FZ was the most powerful in its class I always noticed that Hunk had better topend when compared with almost all other commuter 150cc bikes, but both Hunk and CBZ were avoided due to brand perception and speed junkies went for Apache, which in terms of performance is leagues ahead of the twins from Hero. But why did I get the Hunk? I wanted something which looks sporty, with smooth reliable engine, and if I could recollect unicorn was more expensive with less power and neutral looks(which is a good thing to be frank). I bought mine for 62.5K, good VFM right

Which bike will I suggest to OP? Suzuki Gixxer of course, its the king of 150CC segment right now(commuter class),service too seems to have improved recently.
Old 5th November 2014, 10:34   #112
BHPian

Quote:

But its not just the exhaust note, its the throttle response, the heavy weight which causes lack of flickability and the not so good bite of the brakes which makes the driving less involving.
IMHO the weight of the motorcycle may have a toll on the brakes but have negligible effect on the flick-ability (if what you mean is "quick direction change using counter steering" by the word). What really affects is the rake angle of the motorcycle. The ones with small rake angles (sports bikes) are more flick-able than the ones with a large rake angle (cruisers). Even the Bullets are quick flick-able.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 5th November 2014 at 10:38.
Old 5th November 2014, 14:09   #113
BHPian

Thank you guys for your valuable inputs. Let me see if I can get a test ride of Unicorn & Gixxer today and decide .

Anyone from Pune owns a Gixxer - need to know which Suzuki ASS is better.
Old 6th November 2014, 00:34   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
The ones with small rake angles (sports bikes) are more flick-able than the ones with a large rake angle (cruisers). Even the Bullets are quick flick-able.
regards adrian
Although I fully agree with the reason given but would not be able to digest that Bullets are flick-able. Rake plays an important role but rake remaining same a vehicle having more weight will cause problems with flickability.

By flickability I mean the ease with which the motorbike can change directions.

Weight is the enemy of everything:
1) Braking.
2) Cornering.
3) Flickability
4) Fuel efficiency
5) It eats a lot of engine power to pull the vehicle's own weight. (Best eg. is a Bullet)

Although I feel a certain amount of weight brings a bit of straight line stability and reduces influence of cross-winds.
Old 6th November 2014, 14:13   #115
BHPian

Quote:
but would not be able to digest that Bullets are flick-able.
Ask any bulleteer or try it out yourself. They weigh 182 Kg, just 22 kg more than the lightest GP motorcycles. The unicorn just weighs 146 kg.
Quote:
Weight is the enemy of everything:
2) Cornering.
3) Flickability
Cornering won't be easy on a feather weight motorcycle as well.It is the center of gravity of the motorcycle that helps here. The more balanced a motorcycle, the more it helps.
Quote:
1) Braking.
4) Fuel efficiency
5) It eats a lot of engine power to pull the vehicle's own weight. (Best eg. is a Bullet)
True
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 6th November 2014 at 14:25.
Old 7th November 2014, 19:14   #116
BHPian

Re: Best "Family Bike" in the 70-80K range?

Took TD today with spouse. Only grim she had is that seat is a bit higher for pillion and she did not like the side angle part where the rear mudguard sort of extends from the back seat. She is more comfortable with the normal looking bikes and not the sporty ones.

She liked the ride and was happy and comfortable sitting on the back seat. Good that Suzuki did not have split seats

I think its Unicorn next for TD.

Any fellow BHPians having Gixxer or Unicorn in Pune. Need to know dealership and ASS experience.
Old 9th March 2015, 22:15   #117

Suggest Me a Commuter Bike Please

Hello Team-BHPians

I am in a stage of confusion in selecting a bike for my daily commute of around 50 kms. I currently own a Kawasaki 4S Champion which has completed 85,000 Kms and planning to send it back to my native as its carburetor has become weak and no more available in Bangalore market. Oh BTW my wife owns a TVS Wego so no more scooters please.

I am primarily looking for a commuter type bike which would be used for dropping kids, travel with wife for shopping near-by and daily office commute, here are things I am looking at
1) Price: 60 K to 70 K On road
2) Mileage: Decent 55 to 60 KMpL
3) Comfort: It is tough to drive with family on vehicles like Pulsar, Gixxer etc so looking for a bike with good seating comfort for both me and wife.
4) Handling: Absolute preference for Vehicle stability, no compromise
5) Features: prefer to have digital clutter (speedometer etc)
6) Looks wise: OK, I own an Toyota Etios which means I prefer performance than appearance.
7) Post Ownership Issues: Reasonable price for maintenance and spares, good service and vehicle care is preferred.
8) Lower depreciation or good resale value

Sorry for the exhaustive list but considering the above, could you please suggest me a vehicle that would help me to easily shortlist.

Thanks

Note from Support: Not more than two smilies per post allowed.

Last edited by Eddy : 10th March 2015 at 13:24. Reason: Note inline
Old 10th March 2015, 10:42   #118
BHPian

Re: Suggest Me a Commuter Bike Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasu1976 View Post
Hello Team-BHPians

I am in a stage of confusion in selecting a bike for my daily commute of around 50 kms. I currently own a Kawasaki 4S Champion which has completed 85,000 Kms and planning to send it back to my native as its carburetor has become weak and no more available in Bangalore market. Oh BTW my wife owns a TVS Wego so no more scooters please.

I am primarily looking for a commuter type bike which would be used for dropping kids, travel with wife for shopping near-by and daily office commute, here are things I am looking at
3) Comfort: It is tough to drive with family on vehicles like Pulsar, Gixxer etc so looking for a bike with good seating comfort for both me and wife.
6) Looks wise: OK, I own an Toyota Etios which means I prefer performance than appearance.
7) Post Ownership Issues: Reasonable price for maintenance and spares, good service and vehicle care is preferred.

Sorry for the exhaustive list but considering the above, could you please suggest me a vehicle that would help me to easily shortlist.

Thanks
Hi, you can check out the Honda twister. It performs well, gives good fuel efficiency and is pretty comfortable too. Lastly looks miles better in its segment. If you want a bit more power, you can also check out the Shine or the Unicorn. The honda's are very reliable.

Last edited by Eddy : 10th March 2015 at 13:24. Reason: quoted post edited
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 10:46   #119
BHPian

I think that Honda Shine would best suit your requirements as it is a no nonsense bike with excellent refinement. At about 4 K more than the Dream Yuga, it is worth every penny as the 110 cc Hondas sound just like a splendor. Also the fuel efficiency is more or less the same. Also the resale value will be good.
100kmph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 10:51   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasu1976 View Post
Hello Team-BHPians

Thanks
Commuter bike with stability and F.E would have to be the Unicorn hands down. But, it won't have a digital console, and I'm not sure if the new Unicorn 160 is any good.

I can also recommend the Yamaha SZ for its not-over-the-top looks and great dynamics.

If the entire commute is you riding alone, then a 125CC bike should also suffice, but look for bikes with decent tires and disc brakes.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks