Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2014, 09:53   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18pcs View Post
If not a KTM 390 (some cons may be a deterring factor for me, like the heat, stiff suspension, Headlights, clunky gearbox (very important). What would you be looking for as your next bike ?
The only options currently available in the market that does'nt have the harsh and stiff nature of the 390 would be the CBR250R, Inazuma or if the budget permits Ninja 300.
Old 25th June 2014, 10:08   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18pcs View Post
If not a KTM 390 (some cons may be a deterring factor for me, like the heat, stiff suspension, Headlights, clunky gearbox (very important). What would you be looking for as your next bike ? Was also considering the KTM Duke 200 mainly because of the engine heat. Thanks in advance for your detailed reply
You might want to take a ride of the Continental GT. Seeing them in hordes on the streets of late, and if I'm not wrong, they're the RE loyalists who're skeptic of migrating to KTM. Again, having a pillion on the CGT might be a downer, but overall, it's a fine motorcycle.
The Duke 200 can do your job as well. It has that immature teen kind of an engine as compared to the mature hitman-ish engine of the 390. If you have to commute around a lot, go for the 200. As far as the headlights go, there is always a Philips Xtreme Vision thing for that.
Did you check out the new Karizma yet? If yes, what're your opinions on it?
Old 27th June 2014, 07:23   #93
BHPian

That's same reason why I am skeptical about going for KTM; waiting for R25.
Old 8th July 2014, 22:20   #94
BHPian

Not sure if this is posted here or elsewhere -

Pretty sad stuff from Yamaha i must say. This is on par with the ads that Hero usually comes up with!!! You feel that the manufacturer's trying a bit too hard to sell the product!

Hope the bike doesn't disappoint!

Last edited by Porschefire : 8th July 2014 at 22:22.
Old 9th July 2014, 12:49   #95
BANNED

Smitten by the biking bug after more than 7 years of absolutely no riding. I have absolutely no idea of the current biking scenario.

Though I have zeroed down on Enfield Desert Storm and Thunderbird 500, the various niggles are proving to be a dampener. On the other hand, as far as I am aware the available options are too flashy for my taste.

My requirements: comfortable seating, good pillion seat, able cruiser, matured look and after sales.

Help me choose one. Budget max 2.
Old 9th July 2014, 13:02   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
My requirements: comfortable seating, good pillion seat, able cruiser, matured look and after sales.

Help me choose one. Budget max 2.
CBR250R non ABS should tick all your boxes. Do check the ABS version price too in your city it might be just above 2 Lakhs.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 9th July 2014 at 13:04.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 18:26   #97
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki has unveiled special edition color schemes for the Inazuma Internationally.

The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)-capture1.jpg

The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)-capture2.jpg

Source: VisorDown
Old 10th July 2014, 21:48   #98
BHPian

I was always bugged with some day unboxing my bike. Something that I always saw on forums and threads on Xbhp and Team BHP. So when I booked my N300, I made sure that the box is unboxed in front of me, and trust me a 40km one way drive was worth it! totally!

Why I am posting this here, because as the topic suggests "200-400cc", I believe and have strongly started to believe more what N300 has to offer is class apart. Be it the showroom experience, build quality, ride quality, comfort to rider, rider friendliness and most importantly that steeping stone to bigger CC bikes. I wont take this discussion about it being overpriced or the sore lack of ABS, but if you just see each motorcycle in the "200-400cc" segment, with due respect to owners of other bikes, this is the best IMO!

More about the bike on ownership thread latter once the delivery is taken
kanishka88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 11:39   #99
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishka88 View Post
I wont take this discussion about it being overpriced or the sore lack of ABS, but if you just see each motorcycle in the "200-400cc" segment, with due respect to owners of other bikes, this is the best IMO!
Congrats on your new bike Kanishka. Its definitely the No. 1 in this cc band/class.

That said, one cannot separate purchase price from a "which bike" discussion. Its part and parcel of the whole discussion. Because ultimately a decision made post intense discussion is not worth the paper its made on or the bytes it occupies in cyberspace, if it does not have the money to back it up.

Not saying such is the case here, only pointing out the common fallacy I've often heard in many forums, namely - If you leave price out of the equation, its the best bike around.

Enjoy your bike and do start a separate thread for it!
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 12:42   #100
BHPian

Guys added to your discussion, I would like you guys to just think for a second, what happens when Aprilia release their started segment sports bike to compete with 300-400cc class. Its gonna be off the shelf. A mini version of RSV4 ..

Food for thought.
Old 21st July 2014, 16:15   #101
BHPian

The prospects for 13500 rpm machine is enticing, I sincerely hope Yamaha sticks to twin for India launch. but that is just my heart talking, while the mind craves creature comfort of Inazuma, especially after price cut. Conflict. Conflict!
Old 1st August 2014, 02:23   #102
BHPian

Hello everyone , my name is Basu and I current ride a bullet '86 model . Recently the bajaj dealer here( bareilly , UP ) opened a KTM branch a month back and I paid a visit a week later . I am normally averse to sports bike because of aggressive riding posture but I was pleasantly surprised by the upright seating position and the high handlebars that I found comfortable .

Took a test ride today on black 390 , The overall experience was good though I didn't push it hard and also forgot to test ABS . I have certain queries as a result of the ride and the feedback I have gone through on both BHP forums -

1. The manager insisted I ride pillion to a residential area with better roads and next to no traffic a km away from the showroom , twice my feet were lifted of the peg in stop-go traffic and in general the experience was very uncomfortable , not sure if extremely poor throttle control from him or is this the nature of the bike from a pillion's perspective ? This matters to an extent .

2. I stalled the bike once in 2nd gear , I shifted down to first and then tried to crank it but no matter how long I pressed ( I am aware it takes around 5 sec to start ) , it won't start . I was advised to turn the key out and in again and it started fine , is the bike starting issue this bad ? Bike wasn't even hot ( it had run for barely 2 km ) .

3. What is the lowest speed possible in 2nd without clutch slipping ? On the enfield and pulsars for example , I can clearly tell when the motor is lugging but on the duke - there is a grey area where it is very hard to tell if it is lugging or not , is clutch riding necessary at low speed/rpm ? I don't have an issue with that but just curious .

4. Why is the bike so jerky at rpm below 4k ? is it like that all the time ?

5. Clunky gearbox - this is a con listed by many but coming from an enfield , I find the somewhat heavy feedback very reassuring and no issues at all , is this what others call clunky or is that something else ?

Overall this is the only bike I am looking at , enfields or cbr 250 aren't even being considered . I have spent the last few weeks and few hours today going through page by page user feedback and I am shocked by the incessant streams of issues being reported especially from the first and 2nd lot owners. Have they improved or even rectified the issues completely or are they still present ?

1. Coolant leak , spills on tank or just leaking out while riding seem more common . A couple have reported coolant leaking and mixing with engine oil - does this still happens ?

2. bike stalling while downshifting/depressing clutch - considering the powerful engine braking , this can be catastrophic in certain situations . Many have reported the problem to be due to a broken battery terminal though that doesn't seems to solve it in all cases - anyways if the battery terminal is lose , why does it stalls only when playing with clutch/gear and not just randomly ? How common is this when it happens - I mean every 10 or 100 kms?

3. Bent , broken rims - not as common but dangerous nonetheless .

4. Head gasket oil leak , fixed or still present ?

4. Various other niggles like chain slapping and fork seal leak ( this still happens ? ) seems to have been taken for granted , random cases like someone's grab rail coming off or bolts turning lose and then things falling off or hitting other parts , the list is endless .

I am 24 year old and this happens to be my first brand new purchase and it will be very depressing if I am required to visit SVC frequently or worse leave my bike there for days or weeks . I really want to purchase this bike but the issues mentioned above are depressing to read ( big thumbs up to the multiple owners taking the pain to share things as they are be it good or bad , anyday more valuable than a review published by a website ) . It should also be noted that the ktm branch is brand new and as such inexperienced lot , so all things considered - should I go for this bike or not ? I am probably seeking reassurance as I have no one discuss my thoughts with but if you feel that I should be cautioned , then please go ahead .

SORRY FOR LONG POST , in short -

I am specifically in market for duke 390 , took a test ride(experienced bike refusing to start after a stall , had to turn key out and in to fix) but incessant reports of issues from minor(chain slap , front fork seal leak) to major like oil leak from head (seriously in 2014 ? ) or bike stalling/alloys breaking have made me nervous . Branch is barely a month old so SVC is inexperienced( said a guy arrived from b'lore with training ) . I am probably seeking reassurance but being my first new purchase , I will be depressed if I am required to visit the SVC often . So all things considered , reassure or caution me as you see fit . As far as reliability is concerned (judged against modern standards not enfields ) , where does it stands ? Is it the type of motor that will need a rebuild in 1/10 cases by 20 or 30k km ?

Last edited by basuroy : 1st August 2014 at 02:31.
Old 1st August 2014, 11:27   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
1. ..twice my feet were lifted of the peg in stop-go traffic and in general the experience was very uncomfortable , not sure if extremely poor throttle control from him or is this the nature of the bike from a pillion's perspective ? This matters to an extent .
I would say that the effect is say 80% due to his bad throttle control and rest 20% due to the nature of the engine and the short back seat. I ride with my better half as pillion and I ride as smoothly as possible and she has not faced it yet. This is even with a quick throttle installed in my bike.

Quote:
2. I stalled the bike once in 2nd gear , I shifted down to first and then tried to crank it but no matter how long I pressed ( I am aware it takes around 5 sec to start ) , it won't start . I was advised to turn the key out and in again and it started fine , is the bike starting issue this bad ? Bike wasn't even hot ( it had run for barely 2 km ) .
Its a common nature of the 390 to have difficulty in starting in-gear and the clutch pulled in. It starts just within a single crank while in Neutral.

Quote:
3. What is the lowest speed possible in 2nd without clutch slipping ?
About 20kmph.

Quote:
4. Why is the bike so jerky at rpm below 4k ? is it like that all the time ?
Yep!
Quote:
5. Clunky gearbox - this is a con listed by many but coming from an enfield , I find the somewhat heavy feedback very reassuring and no issues at all , is this what others call clunky or is that something else ?
Even I am an ex Enfield owner. Yes, the GB is clunky, I have no problem with the it whatsoever!

Quote:
1. Coolant leak , spills on tank or just leaking out while riding seem more common . A couple have reported coolant leaking and mixing with engine oil - does this still happens ?
Yes, there has been a few cases where the coolant goes into the crank case. It is due to a blown oil seal.

Quote:
2. bike stalling while downshifting/depressing clutch - considering the powerful engine braking , this can be catastrophic in certain situations . Many have reported the problem to be due to a broken battery terminal though that doesn't seems to solve it in all cases - anyways if the battery terminal is lose , why does it stalls only when playing with clutch/gear and not just randomly ? How common is this when it happens - I mean every 10 or 100 kms?
Personal opinion, it is due to fuelling. and happens mostly while you coast the bike(0 throttle input and clutch pulled in while moving). But I havent faced it since I never usually coast the bike.

Quote:
3. Bent , broken rims - not as common but dangerous nonetheless .
Actually I would classify THIS as a common and unsolved issue. All others are easily fixable. I have not faced it yet. TOUCHWOOD. And mind you, I wont baby my ride. I would usually take on unexpected potholes and bumps standing on the pegs.

Quote:
4. Head gasket oil leak , fixed or still present ?
Has happened with mine. Easily fixed though.

Quote:
4. Various other niggles like chain slapping and fork seal leak ( this still happens ? ) seems to have been taken for granted , random cases like someone's grab rail coming off or bolts turning lose and then things falling off or hitting other parts , the list is endless .
Chain slapping, yes. No loose bolts or broken pieces till now whatsoever.

Quote:
....I am required to visit SVC frequently or worse leave my bike there for days or weeks .
Nop. I found the bike perfectly reliable. But I came from a Royal Enfield. I just could'nt consider some niggles with the 390 as niggles at all coming from the RE.

Bottomline. If you can live with the unforgiving nature of the bike, the result will be rewarding and fruitful!
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 01:58   #104
BHPian

Bike Maniac! Help & suggest?

I was craving to have a bike since my college days (It's now been 8 years since I passed out) but for one or other reason, it never happened. The major reason of it being about the safety concerns of my mother regarding a bike vs scooter. Even after joining my business and being married I was allowed to have a scooter Suzuki Access for my short city rides.

But since last 6 months, I am regularly stick to each and every bike forums as I was few years back with T-bhp. Indian bike market below 300cc have not seen as dynamic launches as 700cc+ in the recent years. I always liked the sporty bikes initially and Hayabusa, CBZ and Karizma were the first loves back 10 years.

Initially I was thinking of getting a good second hand bike, enjoy it for couple of years and then sell it. It will satisfy the mania going on and save money too. I liked to have CBF Stunner or Karizma R.

The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)-stunner_t_640x480.jpg
CBF Stunner because of its sporty looks and low price tag but how could a maniac be settle for 125cc punny performer?

The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)-2014herokarizmarpicturegallery.jpg
New Karizma R 2014 launched and that too available under a lac. 220cc sporty bike under a lac!!! Too tempting it seemed.

Cruiser bikes never attracted me till I visited Auto-expo this year, After that even a Bajaj Avenger makes me to look twice at it on lovely Dehradun roads.
Then started surfing for cruisers. RE to Harley and Triumph. But since I am short height at 5'5 I always find myself non-suitable for such bikes other than Cafe Racers they offer. Nor I wanted to spend anything beyond a lac for this passion. It means, hard to maintain RE and lovely Harleys and Triumphs are out of my reach. What's the option- Avenger??? Naa, Heart not convinced.

Began searching for modified bikes options. Oh Man!!! Craftsmen here replicated beautiful Hayabusa and Gixxers out of Pulsars and Karizmas. Super. More search lead to the temple of Bike modifications - Rajputana Customs, Jaipur. And while surfing, fell in love with -

The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)-assaultrajputanacustommotorcycleroyalenfield500ccmodifiedphoto001.jpg

The ASSUALT

It seems to be perfectly suitable for me. But What about cost buddy? More late night research lead to the conclusion that 50 to 80 k for a donor used RE bike and 2-4 lac for modification will make it 4-5 lac on the pocket. Also, being located in a small city with limited resources, it may be hard to maintain it in the long term.

But head cannot rule over heart for long. Just as I was convincing my inner-self to atleast give a call to Rajputana Customs and get exact info about ordering a modified bike, Tan-tatan, here comes the news of the launch of much-awaited -

The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)-rc390action_3.jpg

The KTM RC390 and KTM RC200

that too at delicious price of 2 Lacs and 1.6 Lacs respectively. RC 200 doesn't seems to be an option infront of super VFM priced RC390.

See-
Karizma 220cc at 80k ---- Pulsar 220/ Yamaha R15 at 1.2 L ----- RC390 (375 cc and racing DNA with great Power to weight ratio) at 2 Lacs is a steal and super exciting.

Called the nearest dealer and asked him to inform as soon as test drives are started.

But this bugger 'Head' again comes knocking often, saying what will you do of a bike which you won't ride more than a week in a month putting 2 Lacs+ of moolah. Hey man and what about maintainance? Your mania will soon subside after owning it couple of months. Then what????

Back to Pavilion??? Still not, but definitely in two minds. Introspection concludes it's not that I want RC390, I will be fairly satisfied with the Karizma R too. Or can wait for the upcoming Pulsar 200SS (200 CC, expected price around a lac) or for Hero HX250 (November launch, aggressive pricing expected). But the value a 375 BHP, pure sporty DNA, light bike that is KTM RC390, will still be unmatched by all above.

Now, I request all of you to enlighten me with your golden advice what should I do? You are welcome whole-heartedly to confuse me more, since I enjoy it now being on T-bhp for so long. It actually leads to widen the horizon, helps in maintaining a balance between logic, facts and passion and take the right path.

So now over to you!
Cheers!

Last edited by GTO : 16th September 2014 at 14:26. Reason: Typos
superbhikari is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 16th September 2014, 02:32   #105
BHPian

Re: Bike Maniac! Help & suggest?

My personal opinion and I would admit before hand that people who listen to my opinions generally end up going through their bank accounts much faster.

You are buying a bike to feel different, special and not for a tangible purpose so how much you can spend on it is something you will have to decide.

But here is my take, spending 70K on something you somewhat like is worse than spending 1.5 lakhs on something you absolutely love. Plus for people like us who buy bikes for our heart and soul rather than need, the bike needs to come with some learning curve and some quirkiness so that it keeps you awake at nights and forces you to wake up early morning on weekends for a ride. So first figure out what you love, then wait and gather the finances (Earn it) and then get it and keep it for years. You start enjoying riding once, you wouldnt be able to give it up so get something that can be special to you even after a couple of years.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks