Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2014, 10:05   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too

For this very first ownership of my biking experience, I am going to arrange the write up in a chronological order starting from my resistance to bikes continuing into the passion I have started enjoying. So the story is going to be a lengthy one with lots of personal thoughts, experiences, questions and some anecdotes if I may. And so here we go -

PART I - The Beginning

Biking - To do or not to do?
Since earlier this year (2014), I did not bring my lunch from home. So the usual routine is to hunt out to nearby restaurants for lunch with colleagues that enjoy eating out! Many a times, I ate in the restaurants near to the Jayanagar 9th block Royal Enfield brand store. Every time I pass this showroom, I would stare at the bikes and wonder if these vehicles really deserve to be in existence? Afterall its so old style and old world technologies. Compared to the latest bikes from Hero, Honda and Bajaj, the price as well as ownership didn't really excite me to think about bikes. And with a bike ridden almost 9 years ago, how much knowledge I have to make any inference? Almost nil. So why bother about bikes? Move on

The months go by and I continue to enjoy my car drives, meetups with other bhpians, In Every meet there will be few bikers and all of them in their own world - calm, quiet and enjoying. This was little different than what I would have seen earlier on mysore road and nice road - the premium bikes with irresponsible drivers that don't care about others on the road. And so you see, i am still in double mind - do I really need to look at bike? Actually NO. So, move on.

Every time I take my family (better half and sometimes kids) for Jayanagar 4th block shopping complex, my better half would lecture me on how I would have saved my time and frustration of parking have I had a bike! And I would agree to her (Otherwise also I agree to her. Do I have any options? - pun intended.) And then every time I meet other bike friends I started feeling that I should have a bike to use when I want. For example, some quick trips into the city or friday rides to work? Or may be dinner meets within city? And so one day I decided to enter the RE showroom close to my lunch place and work place - just to have a look. My and my friend takes a quick stock of the things in store and return to work.

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-brandstorepic.jpg

I knew right then what next. Search the Team-BHP for motorbikes section that I have avoided for so long! The lunch breaks went on shrinking and weekends were spent reading new bike reviews and ownerships. I started developing my requirements of what kind of bike is suitable for my kind of use if I buy. Something that is relaxed sitting posture became a priority. I did not want anything super costly or beyond 2 lakh and too powerful that I wont be able to drive well. The choices have then immediately narrowed down. And then on of my close friend approached me with a proposal - he was about to sell his classic RE and buy an HD. The deal was so good that I almost gave up until my better half revolted - no used things but brand new! And so I let it go.

My reading and search continued for many weeks thereafter. I came across this gem of thread by J. Ravi -
RE ThunderBird Diaries

And then made up my mind - on a friday after lunch, we barged into the RE brand Store and took a test ride. The classic did not appeal me much due to its non-cruising posture. I liked thunderbird. The moment was like - eureka! I am going to buy this. The waiting period for this bike is much smaller compared to other bikes and was reasonably good to own. Even though I had reservations around quality of the bike and reliability, I still took a plunge. Blame it to the reading I had done and that liking I had developed for Royal Enfield bikes through Ravi's motorcycle diaries and many other's experience I had read through. It was too late to even consider the other options - all I had compared was: Avenger vs Thunderbird! So you see, how comfortably the heart has won over the brain?

No weighing in the options, no alternates considered or even the test rides! I am one nut that that isn't really caring about what I do? Whatever.... I did almost the same thing when I bought my SX4 years ago or the esteem or camry. (Read the story here) So its actually not surprising to me and my closed ones to know that this acquisition isn't done with brain on top of heart but almost like no brains. And I knew deep inside, its the heart that matters most when it comes to satisfaction and passion than the brain!

And so I book the bike! The color was chosen to be "Matt Black" aka "Stone". Reason - actually none. I just liked it!

Name:  BookingFormMasked.png
Views: 19094
Size:  611.7 KB

and the affection grows to this beauty -

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-displaymodelretb500stone.jpg

Booking Experience
There isn't much to describe in here except that fact that I was promised 4-6 weeks wait time. Nothing more. But on paper they wrote 2 months. This was probably the longest wait I am ever going to have for a vehicle! A simple 5K INR payment and booking confirmation over SMS, Receipts was all it needed. And while this is all happening, my brain takes over to build plans B and C to get sooner delivery of the vehicle. Plan B included reaching my known contacts in the RE marketing team and Plan C is to ensure I reach area sales head for Bangalore

A week passes by. I continue to research through more threads on Team-BHP and around -
RE Troubleshooting and Technical Stuff
Mobike008's Classic 500
RE Queries
Randhawa's Classic 500 thread

I read almost everything I could on the internet during whatever extra time I spent apart from work. Numerous chats with fellow bhpians and bikers about the decision were hold. The focus of the discussion was conveniently not kept to debate on choice but rather how to deal with the bike when I get it!

The latest one is - here! while I am compiling my thread into the assembly section! To the point of issues, Samarth has gone ahead to build this sheet of issues with RE in his latest post. And this makes me feel, we have help when it comes that end!

While I was just two weeks away from the delivery, the news came about new stripes and the logo? Here it is. Reading through the reactions, i felt for a while if had done a mistake by choosing RE? But then my other Team-BHP buddies console me that I can always "debadge" it to the older one! I agree. And so just ignored all the discussions for time being.

"The Call" - Formalities time - Another wait.
On one fine day I got a call from RE brand Store! The lady on the phone says - "Sir, you have been allocated a vehicle and the delivery can be expected in few days. but we need to complete the payment and other formalities!." And there are no bounds left to my joy. I promised to see her in next 60 minutes. I hurriedly complete my task at hand in office and rush to the store with documents and cheque! (They asked for 3 photographs of mine, Payment Cheque, Address Proof and booking form for reference.) Completed the formalities and one final wait has now begun! And a really painful wait this is becoming!

To Be continued....

Last edited by abirnale : 3rd July 2014 at 14:16.
abirnale is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 14:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too

PART II - Home Coming

For an entire week, I kept closely following with the brand store over phone about the progress on my file. As I expected, they weren't really responsive and forthcoming on updates. I guess this is how RE teaches you patience - that you need more while riding! When all my calls fell on deaf ears, i decided to drop into the store and check myself. I followed up with number of people there and finally got to see my own file with an engine and chassis number on it. There began the push for PDI. I strictly told them that they won't be able to register vehicle on my name unless I see it myself first and gives them green signal. A store representative rushed to me and actually pointed to a bike parked in the store floor! I was told, its mine!

A mixed feeling and chill ran my spine - I was finally looking at the bike that would be mine and at the same time got the scare - is it really mine or an old display piece? I bombarded with a lot of questions to store folks and finally managed to take pictures of the bike, identification marks/ numbers with resolve to figure out what is its Date Of Birth! Two good friend of mine rushed to my help. A tbhpian and an aspiring tbhpian helped decode the bike "kundali"! Thanks Harshit, Vidyut, Sarat and Sajil for all the help!

Through my extensive search and reading, I had assembled the PDI check sheet and ran it on bike too.

Checksheet Copy - RE Bike Checksheet.pdf

The store did not give me keys of the bike before actual registration hence could not confirm electricals and running. The store did not allow me to test run/ check electricals of the bike but promised that they would not go ahead with delivery even if I find a single problem at the time of delivery. Very daring, I must say. Me too did not have any options and by now all the visual inspections and checks were found to be satisfactory. And hence I left the store with myself dreaming the thunderbird riding

Delivery Experience
I hoped that the bike will be delivered in just a day or two but to my surprise, they took full 8 days after the payment and formalities were completed! I learned that all the new bikes that come, are kept in showroom for display until the delivery time! So ideally they don't maintain a large display stock! They are the customer bikes allotted and awaiting delivery. And i can't describe the scene when a prospective buyer is sitting on your bike in showroom and treating it like a display piece. It sure hurts.

I was eagerly waiting for the delivery and that is when I had to attend to a family emergency - needed to travel and reluctantly the wait got extended for few more days. And the RE folks were not ready for delivery anyway. Hence after attending to emergency, I called the RE and asked for delivery. They said, its ready and I can collect the bike!

Hurray! There comes the happy part! So I head out to brand store along with my daughter to ride pillion and call my colleague Sarat who owns a classic to check on new bike if I miss anything.

The bike was waiting for us -
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-readyfordelivery.jpg

It was then pulled out of showroom and demo'ed, test run and handed over to me.
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-outfordelivery.jpg

There weren't any festivities and excitement from store personnel except the security guy who was happy seeing the new bike. But I still completed all the checks and distributed sweets to salesmen, security and technicians to share my joy. And that was all about the delivery experience per say. Plain, simple. Thanks to Harshit for spending additional 15 minutes on phone helping perform remaining checks and ensuring all is well with bike

I then headed to home and later to temple for vahan-puja!
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-pujatime.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited by abirnale : 3rd July 2014 at 14:17.
Old 30th June 2014, 10:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

My foray in biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 a.k.a. The Urban Cru...

PART III - Glimpse of the thumper!

Before I add my findings and experience so far with bike, here are few pictures taken at various times - with phone and P&S camera -

Wish this was Live To Ride
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-ltdkeybunch.jpg

The odo console
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-odoconsole.jpg

And various views while in parking lot -
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-frontview.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-leftview.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-rightview.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-tank.jpg

And the couple that is going to stay closer to each other like their riders did for past decade -
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-thecouple.jpg

Last edited by abirnale : 3rd July 2014 at 14:18. Reason: Moved content from here to next post and focused on pictures only in this post.
abirnale is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 15:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too

Part IV - Ownership Summary

I have now completed more than 150Kms on the bike and mostly being used for daily commute. Took it once on the 25km stretch in rain too. Based on the experience so far here is summary at a glance -

Requirements:
  • Needed a cruiser bike
  • Must have comfortable ride and seat
  • Below Rs. 2 Lakh
  • Must suit my usage pattern - short city rides as well as solo highway rides

Alternatives Considered and Rejected:
Avenger - A close friend has it. Not very much impressed with looks/ instruments and overall package.

The Chosen One:
RE Thunderbird 500 cc. Thats the perfect match for the budget, cruising needs and as I said - it had convinced my heart! The massive power and thump kept my brain engaged all the time.

Costs Incurred:
  • The total on road price for bike is Rs. 1,94,231
  • No accessories fitted as on date.
  • Since the bike is matte black finish, did a paint protection treatment. Cost Approx Rs. 4000. Details in subsequent posts.
  • Bought a Vega Eclipse helmet for Rs. 1000
  • Bought Armstrong Safety Boots for Rs. 2700
  • Miscellaneous rider accessories and tools Rs. 2000

Likes and Dislikes:
I like the following:
  • After 8 long years, riding on the bike in Bangalore's traffic was expected to be horrific but I was sweetly surprised. I didn't face any issues maneuvering the heavy wheels around in the traffic.
  • Excellent power at disbursal: I love unleashing it to surprise sweetly to myself!
  • Engine performance & driveability in the city is awesome. It never felt laging for power even when total of 170kg it was carrying at few times!
  • Superb riding quality - Feels very comfortable.
  • Good brakes - Didn't have to extensively test but overall feel is good.
  • Headlamp - I am loving the pilot light ring and projector setup. The high beam is effective too.
  • Instrument cluster with digital displays - feels upmarket.
  • Front foot-rest pegs cannot be completely folded - but I think they are great to rest feet and probably absorb shock as well. I am not sure!
  • Although matte finish, after detailing the feel is awesome. I am loving this color more now!
  • Overall build quality and ride feel is great. I had imagined this as cousin bullet and not a real one. And it lives to my expectation.
Things I think could have been better:
  • I sometimes thought shifting gears to N is a task! I still dont get it right seamlessly!
  • The digital clock on the bike is running slower than the actual clock timing it was set to. I think this is an issue with all RE thunderbirds - referring to Ravi's thread too.
  • Digital display is very simple - does not provide avg in kmpl when on ODO screen. Does for trip meters only.
  • The electrical joints and wires beneath seats look flimsy. just look wise, but are durable.
  • Starting the engine after it is cold has a different thump. The engine starts with a tap-tap noise and then settles up to actual thump in a minute or so. If I hold the accelerator up by 100 rpm than idle, it has the usual thump music to ears.
  • Not about bike but experience - RE Brand Store did not much care about me as it should have. Doesn't feel like they are happy to have me as their customer The follow up during the sale and wait period was very much frustrating for me. The folks would never respond properly. I guess RE believes in-person communication and not the phone calls! They dont have any discounts or freebies to create that positive experience.. grrr!
  • The bike has some very minor scratches and missing chrome at difficult to notice places such as at the far top end of fork behind headlight.

Points to Note -
  • I am still running on the first full tank after buying the bike hence no actual details about FE yet.
  • I have kick-started bike only once. The ES is very reliable and working well so far.
  • After reading through all the RE quality problems, I am a bit skeptical about issues to arise with my bike. Luckily, there haven't been any disappointments yet!

Keeping in mind the experience at RE Brand Store, I am considering going to a different service center for servicing. Many have recommended the HSR service station to be reliable one. All I need to ensure is, i take someone known to the service station and start my relationship with them on positive note.

Up next - detailing episode.

Last edited by abirnale : 3rd July 2014 at 15:38.
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

PART V - Paint Protection and Detailing

On the day I bought the bike home, I noticed the sheen on the tank and read the "no guarantee about color" note on the sticker. And I decided to undertake the paint protection job on it. I remembered Uday using help from Partha (parathasarathig @ tbhp) to upkeep his duke. So I contacted Partha and he decided to help me at my doorstep. We scheduled the detailing on a friday and completed it.

The pictures below would speak for the process and output -

The bike looked like this when we started -
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-01_mg_2631.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-03_mg_2633.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-07_mg_2638.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-09_mg_2642.jpg

After a wash and decontamination procedure -
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-10_mg_2644.jpg

I was a bit worried about matte finish and how the paint protection was to be done. Hence we did a quick litmus test to see if everything would be proper -
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-11_mg_2656.jpg

And that put an end to my doubts. So we continued with paint protection and polishing of metal parts -
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-12_mg_2658.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-13_mg_2659.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-14_mg_2661.jpg

The final product -
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-17_mg_2665.jpg

Partha spent almost 5 hours on the bike and I had to take half day off from work! We did talk about a lot of technical things automobiles and his duke too! At the end, it was a good experience and good output. The bike was kept untouched for almost two days to ensure the paint protection works well.

I am now using the bike for daily commute and have been very happy about the ride and occasional bursts of power that i can unleash on empty stretches. Its still in running in period so the care being exercised.

With every passing day with this thumper, I have started feeling its bonding and unique position in my riding life. Hope this will turn out to be one great experience and enjoy. It has already started additional bonding between biking brother and invites to join for long rides are pouring in. And its one great feeling I have started living with The long rides and fun excursions are on cards.

All I wanted is an urban, refined cruiser but the musical and signature thump makes me call it an Urban Thumper. The Thumper is becoming my exciting new companion for solo life

Last edited by abirnale : 3rd July 2014 at 15:58.
abirnale is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 16:28   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 (aka Urban Cruiser

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Motorbikes. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 16:56   #7
J.Ravi

Re: My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 (aka Urban Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
All I wanted is an urban, refined cruiser but the musical and signature thump makes me call it an Urban Thumper.
Congratulations and best wishes, abirnale. I wish you and Urban Thumper infinite miles with smiles. Urban Thumper easily fits into many avatars like Highway Thumper, Mountain Thumper and what-not!

Quote:
Front foot-rest pegs cannot be completely folded - but I think they are great to rest feet and probably absorb shock as well. I am not sure!
Yes. The front foot-rests are spring-loaded; they act like shock-absorbers upon impact and restore to the original position when free from impact. The rear foot-rests are foldable.

Quote:
RE Brand Store did not much care about me as it should have. Doesn't feel like they are happy to have me as their customer
Royal Enfield does not care about customers because of huge demand-supply gap with the demand far exceeding the supply. That's why, one doesn't get any discounts or freebies. In my case, I did not get even the customary key chain! We have to put up with Royal Enfield A.S.S until the 4 free services and warranty after which, our birds get released from the cage and become free birds!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th July 2014 at 08:41.
  (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 22:19   #8

Congratulations Abirnale. The bird in Matte black looks the best IMO, irrespective of the "no warranty" that comes along with it.

The clock yes, runs a little slower after you set it (I own a TB350, a little less than a month old) and the fuel gauge is erratic, however I've started to live with it as the joy of riding it supersedes everything else.

I did notice the crash guard on your bike - are you planing to fix one? May I suggest the one used by Mr. Ravi - it suits TB the best.

All the best and enjoy days, months and years to come on your Urban Thumper! Cheers
Ismail2512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 00:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Congratulations and best wishes, abirnale.
We have to put up with Royal Enfield ASS until the 4 free services and warranty after which, our birds get released from the cage and become free birds!
Thank you and very true sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismail2512 View Post
Congratulations Abirnale. The bird in Matte black looks the best IMO, irrespective of the "no warranty" that comes along with it.
I did notice the crash guard on your bike - are you planing to fix one? May I suggest the one used by Mr. Ravi - it suits TB the best.
Thank you Ismail for the best wishes. I have one crash guard already fitted now that is black in colour and diamond shaped! Will keep experimenting with various mixes from the friend circle rides

Weekend Ride to DD Hills
Over the weekend (Jul 5th), I managed to rope in few of my colleagues and their friends for a short ride to Devarayandurga Hills (DD Hills). Its situated off NH4 after Dabaspete town at about approximately 85-90 KMs from my home. We were six riders and and pillion on of the bullets.

Started from BG road at around 6am. It was nice breezy morning without much traffic on the roads and not many distractions as well. We took the NICE road and then NH4 all the way up to Dabaspete. And then a right turn into DD Hills road - the destimation is around 23 Kms from there.

On NICE road we took a group snaps with all the bikes parked at one end of the road and the large boulder in the background -

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-nicelineup.jpg

A steady cruise lead us to NH4 and after a breakfast at Kamath, we headed further to DD Hills. The good thing is, two wheelers don't need toll on NH4! With a few hair pin bends and awesome ride, we reached at the hill top. The temple opens at 10am and hence we waited there. My friend Sagar used this time to take handful of snaps - he is professional photographer in the making!

The riders on the hill top -
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-thegang.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-templestairs.jpg

The temple view -
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-templetop.jpg

And a friend trying some stunts -
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-monkeystunt.jpg

After the temple, we headed down to a view point just few hundred meters from the temple. It offers great view of the surroundings. On the way down from temple and towards only viewpoint there, took these snaps -
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-downhill.jpg

At the view point, we were busy with more pics and enjoying the scenery, while this die hard bullet boy, changed his bull's gear oil! We lined up our bikes, took photos, did a small on-the-rocks stuff and took more photos.
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-atviewpoint.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-bullsinline.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-hillock.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-ontherocks.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-crazyguys.jpg

These were the oldest bikes on the ride - from 1980's and belong to brothers - Sagar and Gagan -
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-brothers.jpg

On the way down, we spotted a lake. Dared to take bikes on the lake shores and took more photos!
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-bullsatlake.jpg

The youngest riders on this trip had just finished 18 years and got a bullet!
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-youngestone.jpg

While yours truly is the oldest one - I chose to caption this remembering a quote I read somewhere -
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-thunderboy.jpg

This was one great ride I had in almost a decade. I can't word the joy I have had this weekend.

Just a few notes from the ride -
  • The tyres appeared to have inadequate grip on hair pin bends and had wobbling feel when I went over a mild slush en-route.
  • The ride otherwise a great fun. Didn't push the bike beyond 60kmph mark and 2500 RPM.
  • The tank i had filled on day one of getting bike was over in this trip and using the tankful method, i found that the mileage is about 30Kmpl. But then I am not worried about this part yet!

The bike sure looks and feel awesome. The joy and happiness it brings every time I ride it is unique so far.
abirnale is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 02:42   #10
BHPian

Thanks for the writeup mate. Honestly even I have developed a strong liking from many years which is now a growing desire to own a thunder bird. Many aspects are not allowing me to take the step. Iam looking forward for the day when I own the beauty. It would be be a pre loved one as 2L is too huge for me. Thanks again and keep posting so that the urge to own one for folks like me keeps growing stronger & stronger.

Cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 06:52   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 (aka Urban Cru...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Thanks for the writeup mate
Many aspects are not allowing me to take the step. Iam looking forward for the day when I own the beauty. It would be be a pre loved one as 2L is too huge for me.
Thanks Pdma! You may want to consider 350cc variant as well if it fits your budget. The used one would be good if you know the owner and rider well. Used bike also means if there have been any niggles, they are mostly sorted out But again, there could be few that are unreliable and hence exercise caution when you acquire one. And PM me if you need any specific help if at all.

Last edited by abirnale : 8th July 2014 at 06:53.
Old 8th July 2014, 10:36   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on the thunderbird Avinash. A bike that i have longed for so much since i saw it. The latest ones seem a little more beefy(and better) compared to the older versions. The matte finish looks classy.
I still remember the rides I took with my uncle every day on his bullet years ago.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 22:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Congratulations on the thunderbird Avinash.... The latest ones seem a little more beefy (and better) compared to the older versions. The matte finish looks classy.
Thanks Aneezan for your kind wishes. I had the negative feeling about new letters on the tank and changed font of their brand name etc. But looking at the bike now with matte protection treatment, its growing on me

Over the past two weeks I have observed that, just by using the Jopasu glove duster, I can dust off the bike easily. So glad I chose this colour as well as did the necessary paint protection immediately.

The latest ThunderBird seems to have addressed some of the niggles you saw on Ravi sir's thread. But then its too early for me to comment. I will update after I perform the first free service - due in less than 10 days
Old 9th July 2014, 09:32   #14
BHPian

Congratulations on the Urban Thumper!
I quite like the speedo & odometer with the new font. Definitely look more crisp than the earlier variant.

I'm sure the Thumper will give you years of happiness!

Cheers!
Sam
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 19:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Avinash. Matte finish looks very good after the paint protection. Would suggest investing at least 10% of the cost of the bike on riding gears. Minimum requirement of riding gears is a good riding jacket, gloves and boots. I see you have already purchased the boots. Go for remaining stuff.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks