P.s: your inbox is full.
YaeJay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 18:45   #92
BHPian

re: My Pre-Worshipped Honda CBR250R. EDIT: Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post

Sorry for being
Is that specific to your bike or a common issue with KTM (or a batch) This is the first time I'm reading about engine falling from a bike, that too for 3 times.
Mine and my friend's bike had the issue of falling parts from the bike. Swing arm in my friend's bike broke off. The rider somehow managed to bring the 45 degree angled bike to a halt with a wide grin on his face. That's how much fun KTM is !

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
This simply means you need to get to the highway from your house through a different route. Cant blame the KTM there man. But the piston part is scary. I hope KTM is helping you with some diagnosis. I hope you didn't mean in literal sense as its impossible for the engine to fall out. Only technical reason could be unreasonable compression getting created inside the chamber due to say incorrect ecu mapping.

Are you using power tronics as they have caused some headaches including valve re positioning and what not.

I love the KTM by the way for its the best fun that can fit my pocket.
Yeah, that's why I've moved to a house on highway. Even on the trip to Goa, the engine fell down, we had to ride it the flinstone way for 4 kms. This is the reason why I take a big bag with me always, as it will be useful to carry the engine Incase it falls down. I'm not technically sound to understand the reason behind the engine falling down issue. No Vivek, no powertronics on my bike. I love the fun it gives me and wish the bike has more in store for me. Let us not go off-topic anymore .
nitninja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 18:46   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
If I may ask, that what made you arrive at such a conclusion?

Of course, I do agree that the 390 will leave the 250R dead in straights as well as corners.

I honestly didn't have any spares issue for all the 5 years I had the bike with me, the consumable ones at least. Rest were made available in roughly 2 weeks.
My conclusion was both bikes were reliable. You donot agree, now I should ask you what made you think KTMs are unreliable.

What made me trust KTM? A few friends of mine ride 390s that are older than 65000 km on odo without any issues.

Consumables are not a problem. The list of spares I could not get from Honda dealers at my place were:

1. Handlebar end weights
2. Footrests
3. Exhaust cover
4. Disc pads
5. air filter

And the dealers have a very bad habit of not stocking anything related to CBR 250R/150 R except engine oil and oil filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Depends very badly ONLY on the dealer & not with HMSI
Totally agree! But then it doesnt matter if the problem is with HMSI or the dealer, I as an end user was affected by the unavailability.

@Everyone

I never told CBR 250R was an inferior product. I told I loved the CBR and still love it. Yes, it is the best bike in today's market if you are into touring.

To me personally, motorcycles carry no purpose. I have 4 cars and a driver at my disposal if I wanted a comfortable travel over long distances.

I buy a motorcycle, just to have fun. CBR 250R was fun, heck ieven got banned from this forum posting videos about it. But CBR 250R is no match to the KTM Duke 390 if your only purpose in a motorcycle is to have oodles of fun. That is why I decided to upgrade.

Both bikes are great in their own way, just that the KTM pulls my heart's strings a little wilder

You only live once! Peace!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 20:20   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Totally agree! But then it doesnt matter if the problem is with HMSI or the dealer, I as an end user was affected by the unavailability
It's a choice you made to get affected by the unavailability I guess. For me, I chose not to get affected by such silly issues on account of superior engineering or probably we're blessed to have good dealers here in Madras or even both.

Good luck with your Kronreif & Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
Old 2nd May 2017, 20:36   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My conclusion was both bikes were reliable. You donot agree, now I should ask you what made you think KTMs are unreliable.

What made me trust KTM? A few friends of mine ride 390s that are older than 65000 km on odo without any issues.
Same way which made you conclude that KTM's are reliable, various friends and reading online.

If it works for you, then that is what matters, but KTM being as reliable as a Honda...let them run a little more on our roads.

Quote:
1. Handlebar end weights
2. Footrests
3. Exhaust cover
4. Disc pads
5. air filter
All these including the fairing parts, the rear tail section were available, at least when I or my friend/s [two of them] required it.

Have fun with your KTM
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 21:03   #96
Senior - BHPian

I own an RC390 and yes I will anyday agree that reliability is simply not at par with Japanese products. My head gasket has already started developing issues after 14000 kms of riding it (still working on a resolution) apart from that never had my engine shutdown due to overheating (even in hectic 2 hour rides from north bangalore to E-City during rushhour), brakes were always good though they lacked feel and initial bite which I am rectifying with a RE CGT brake master cylinder, never had any puncture and even if I did I can hardly blame that on the bike and certainly never had or ever heard of engine falling off or piston knocking someone else out this is the first I am hearing of this and I'm not sure what to make of it without any evidence. All in all a typical european product in terms of reliability but the sheer dealer network and spare parts availability sort of makes up for it and the sheer adrenaline rush and angry ballerina like precision riding experience, more than makes up for it

Last edited by IshaanIan : 2nd May 2017 at 21:05.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 21:04   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's a choice you made to get affected by the unavailability I guess. For me, I chose not to get affected by such silly issues on account of superior engineering or probably we're blessed to have good dealers here in Madras or even both.

Good luck with your Kronreif & Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
Silly issues? Not being able to get a footrest when front RHS footrest is broken and not being able to get disc pads are not silly at all.

Honda CBR 250R called superior engineering than KTM Duke 390 just because it is a honda is like calling Toyota Etios Liva as superior engineering than Volkswagen Polo GT just because it is a Toyota.

I dont get why CBR owners have to get on the defensive. I shared what I experienced and many other CBR owners who I know feel the same.

Peace, have fun with whatever you ride, and good luck!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 21:51   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For me, I chose not to get affected by such silly issues on account of superior engineering or probably we're blessed to have good dealers here in Madras or even both
Reliable for sure..But calling it superior engineering is mocking 390. I think engineering wise the 390 is amazing for what it produces with that single cylinder and how it delivers it.

My final out words prassy is CBR post 50 years when you want something sedate, till then make sure that ktm engine jumps out and asks you for forgiveness.

Ride safe and record all the videos and share here.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 22:28   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not being able to get a footrest when front RHS footrest is broken and not being able to get disc pads are not silly at all
Something wrong with your locality or ASC or both!! In the year 2012 we had a xBhp meet at Chikmagalur where I broke the left footrest. When I returned to Madras after the meet, I was able to get hold of one right at the ASC.

Quote:
Honda CBR 250R called superior engineering than KTM Duke 390 just because it is a honda is like calling Toyota Etios Liva as superior engineering than Volkswagen Polo GT just because it is a Toyota
My friend, I'll ask you just one question, keep an open mind & think about it - How does BAL get the KTM priced cheaper or competitive is another word? What're the methods that could be adopted? If you're able to find the right answers for these, you'll get to know.

BTW a life of Toyota engine is atleast 20 years compared to a Suzuki or Honda. Check out the number of issues with VW & Toyota models & you'll find the answers. Whether you agree or not, in today's market, a Jap engineering is much better, practical, reliable & offers more VFM than EU products.

Quote:
I dont get why CBR owners have to get on the defensive. I shared what I experienced and many other CBR owners who I know feel the same
Was that passing the good luck to you considered defensive? OMG!! Should I revert it then?

Anyway, I poked in my nose here not because you sold CBR & got KTM nor I'm getting defensive about your ownership decision, but, to state ASC issues; like I said, there're no issues for spares for CBR from HMSI, it's mostly got to do with dealers trying to bring down their inventory.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd May 2017 at 16:10. Reason: Typos
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 23:21   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

And this video, I should share this here

PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 01:07   #101
BHPian

I had cbr 250r for almost 1.5 years. It had its share of niggles, leaking oil seals, shim noise , head gasket leak etc are some of them. I expected bullet proof reliability, but it just failed to satisfy me. Coming to parts availability, when i asked for both left and right side fairing, they did not have it in stock. I once asked for the clip ons too. spares guy informed that the same would available on order. Unavailbility of spare parts is a trait of all japanese two wheeler companies. I have owned three hondas and one yamaha, so i know what im saying. Pondycherry KTM has stock of almost all the spares even the slow moving items.

I know a few 390s which have crossed 50k mark and one guy has almost touched 70k kms. They are still happily touring the length and breadth of this country on their beloved KTMs. . I have covered almost 4.5 lakhs in my 3 european cars and they have never missed a beat. European products are reliable, more vfm and contain a character. Japanese products are boring and just mundane to own for a long time. Finally, Anything that is cared for, well maintained, will last a life time. Take care of her prassy and she will serve you a lifetime.
nitninja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 04:34   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My friend, I'll ask you just one question, keep an open mind & think about it - How does BAL get the KTM priced cheaper or competitive is another word? What're the methods that could be adopted? If you're able to find the right answers for these, you'll get to know.
Wait so are you of the school that believes the Japanese bikes are more premium? I think you're jumping to conclusions mate. The KTMs are competitively priced because they are locally manufactured. That's it. No need to assume anything else. If you look at cost to buy in Europe, UK, and America the KTMs are more expensive than their Japanese rivals. I am not saying the Japs don't have KTM floored when it comes to reliability but that doesn't mean that KTMs are sub-par I mean the 390 runs a very high compression engine that for the most part doesn't give many issues and absolutely blows the competition out of the water in terms of performance. The diamond chassis on the CBR250, N300 and R3 is no comparison to the proper trellis frame chassis KTM offers. Projectors, LEDs, integrated indicators, low center of gravity, aluminium swingarm, these are all aspects that take quite a lot of money and are all parts exclusive to KTM in its segment. Every bike shines in its own right but don't be so quick to take such a simplistic black and white stance on things

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd May 2017 at 04:57.
IshaanIan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 11:36   #103
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Pre-Worshipped Honda CBR250R. EDIT: Now Sold

Quote:
A simple method is not cheating the customer like Honda does. Even Kawasaki prices its products better than trying to make maximum out of customers by Honda.

Sorry to say that blunt but its a fact that Honda in spite of its presence over the years in India and completely capability to set up local plants has been selling products and spares at a premium cost compared to any other manufacturers.

You are trying to defend CBR by putting down KTM which is not the intention. We may be off topic but i feel its right to stop this putting down KTM as KTM is the best thing to have happened to Indian Auto scene. Everybike at that segment looks costly and waste of money compared to the superbly priced KTM, thanks to local assembly lines by Bajaj.

And by performance even the Dominor is better IMHO compared to the CBR. Where CBR shines as i said is as a retirement bike because of trouble free ownership and longevity(proven) and reliability(proven).
VW2010 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:31   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
You are trying to defend CBR by putting down KTM which is not the intention
Thanks to have misunderstood my posts & tagging me again & again

All I intent to say here is, spares are not an issue & even if so, its w.r.t dealers & said these are silly issues (considering the fact I own a Rx & obtaining the parts are even more painful than CPR)

So in this process Prasanna bought the comparison of VW, Toyota & Honda for which I replied Japs are more reliable than EU vehicles. Probably I should've conveniently ignored, but then I thought to impart some sense asking why despite HMSI & BAL making their products in here have world apart in difference in their prices. If I get in little deeper here, things are 100% sure to turn ugly, so I left that part of R&D to folks whoever are interested to find that

Meanwhile another guys jumps assumed that I said Japs are premium as if I said that & talks engineering. So once again I try to move out of the topic

And now you're accusing me of saying I'm defending CPR which I have NEVER EVER said so here. All I said & defended was for the availability of spares for CPR & not even KTM.

There should be atleast 50 guys in this country who're selling their CPR & buying different motorcycles everyday & why would I go on to defend nor HMSI pays me to convince people from selling their CPR

So guys, take a chill-pill, like I said before...Good luck to the new ownership
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:33   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed with you!! KTM is a superior motorcycle to CBR in every aspect be it engine, frame, lights, tires, right from headlights to tail lights to even air pressure valve.

I'm moving on!!
Hey come on man that is so not what I said. I clearly said every bike shines in its own way. You were suggesting that KTMs are priced competitively here for reasons other than them being locally manufactured which I felt was a little premature to say considering they have all the equipment and numbers to smoke the competition in terms of performance. The CBR is definitely a more reliable bike, far more forgiving to ride, far more refined etc. it is a totally different bike and doesn't need aluminium swingarm, trellis chassis etc because its focus is not performance. As simple as that. Two very different approaches. You don't have to be so offended that you get sarcastic mate I am not even trying to offend you

Quote:
Thanks to have misunderstood my posts & tagging me again & again

I thought to impart some sense asking why despite HMSI & BAL making their products in here have world apart in difference in their prices. If I get in little deeper here, things are 100% sure to turn ugly, so I left that part of R&D to folks whoever are interested to find that

Meanwhile another guys jumps assumed that I said Japs are premium as if I said that & talks engineering. So once again I try to move out of the topic
Alright, so what did you mean by comparing the two in terms of price? Plus, I'm not sure they are worlds apart in terms of cost to buy. The RC200 is very closely priced to the CBR250 no? You never said anything clearly with regards to why you wanted one to look at pricing, therefore all one can do is go off of what you suggested and even then. Instead of explaining stuff calmly you are responding with sarcasm, so obviously one would think you are being unnecessarily defensive.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd May 2017 at 15:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks