Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2023, 19:05   #691
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400

I recently purchased a green Dominar 400 and have ridden around 800km. I am trying to modify the bike with some functional and aesthetic mods to make it stand apart from the rest of the crowd. I am impressed by the power delivery and also the bike is a true mile muncher. The new BS6 version gets only single spark plug and has noticeable vibrations in the handle bar.
Kottayamkaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 20:58   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kottayamkaran View Post
The new BS6 version gets only single spark plug
Oh. This is a new info for me. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on your ride brother.
sole_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 16:32   #693
BHPian

I think Bajaj has rid itself of DTS-I across all E20 models, as I noticed that my recently purchased Dominar 250 doesn't have DST-I either, it's Single Spark Plug. Noticed this across other E20 bikes from Bajaj too.

I wonder if it's good or bad for Power Delivery, although I read at few articles that DTS-I doesn't really offer any significant advantage as much as company used to state.
Old 18th June 2023, 09:57   #694

Took a test drive of Dominar 400 yesterday. While I didn't look for the number of sparkplugs, the test bike which I drove had a buzzing vibrations throughout the rev range above 1500 rpm. These were not engine vibrations and more like mobile phone vibrator... They were so alike that I stopped to check my phone twice during the ride.
When I asked the mechanic about the vibrations he told me it's because it is the test bike and so many people abuse the bike.
Now I know that wasn't it. So I'm here to ask the experts what it could be. Could it be a fuel pump as the fuel was very low.

Here's me on a test bike. The bike is really powerful and heavy but my legs were flat on floor so it was not a issue. Will finalise the bike sometime this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img20230617wa0018.jpg  

Old 18th June 2023, 10:38   #695
BHPian

If taking on loan,maybe spend a bit more and get the duke 390? Lighter and less vibrations I believe. You also have the option of the adventure X at that price point.
Old 18th June 2023, 23:00   #696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
If taking on loan,maybe spend a bit more and get the duke 390? Lighter and less vibrations I believe. You also have the option of the adventure X at that price point.
I looked it up as well, the place where I took test drive is a combined dealership for KTM, Husqvarna, Bajaj & chetak. The D400 is 2.9L on road, D390 is 3.6L so 70k is a lot of money. Also tried Adventure 390x & 390V. Although 390V has lower seat height, I could not reach the ground. and its 3.5L & 4.1L resp. on road so definitely out of budget! Hence D400
Old 19th June 2023, 06:54   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post
I looked it up as well, the place where I took test drive is a combined dealership for KTM, Husqvarna, Bajaj & chetak. The D400 is 2.9L on road, D390 is 3.6L so 70k is a lot of money. Also tried Adventure 390x & 390V. Although 390V has lower seat height, I could not reach the ground. and its 3.5L & 4.1L resp. on road so definitely out of budget! Hence D400
Alright, consider getting zana pullback risers in case you feel posture needs to be more comfortable, comes with 2 extra, long avenger cables. Changing to Motul oil for vibrations/cold start hiccups and 95xp or premium higher octane fuel (if easily available) for engine missing/shutting off while riding issues. Just to save you time IF you face these issues.

More importantly, with the saved money get full leather riding gloves,mesh jacket and riding boots.

Last edited by Senotrius : 19th June 2023 at 06:57.
Senotrius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 21:50   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
I think Bajaj has rid itself of DTS-I across all E20 models, as I noticed that my recently purchased Dominar 250 doesn't have DST-I either, it's Single Spark Plug. Noticed this across other E20 bikes from Bajaj too.
Saw this video of new Avenger 220 Street 2023 model.

Skip to 3:20 & you'll see he mentions that DTS-I branding is gone from engine but Twin Spark Plugs are still there. So it could be that some Bajaj bikes will continue with twin plugs while some will have single one. Or it could be that this is not a retail version & Bajaj will make some changes (switch to single plug) before launching final version in market.
Old 19th June 2023, 22:07   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
Saw this video of new Avenger 220 Street 2023 model.

https://Youtu.be/FJ2AVqnAdfc

Skip to 3:20 & you'll see he mentions that DTS-I branding is gone from engine but Twin Spark Plugs are still there. So it could be that some Bajaj bikes will continue with twin plugs while some will have single one. Or it could be that this is not a retail version & Bajaj will make some changes (switch to single plug) before launching final version in market.
In case of Dominar 250 at least, it is definitely single spark plug down from 2. I have verified in manual also along with manual inspection.
Bajaj wouldn't take out the DTS-I branding as such, since it was a key msp for them. Its also quite interesting to note that E20 models have significantly higher vibrations in lower rpm range as compared to non E20 variants.
Old 23rd June 2023, 11:53   #700
BHPian

Just a stupid question but how much do the 250 differs from 400 w.r.t. Engine and overall assembly that helps D400 churn more power ? The intent behind asking this question is just getting to know if D250 is capable of borrowing engine from D400 ?

Perhaps one doesn't need to replace the entire engine assembly and just some components like piston/cylinder, etc. ?
Keeping the legal concerns aside entirely, I'm asking this to fulfill my curiosity.
I read at few places that Duke 250 engine is essentially a Duke 390 engine with less compression and few different parts that can also retrofit in Duke 250.

Engine Swap in different bikes is a big hack, besides the risk of stress of non-engine components like Body Frame, Shockers, etc. But in this scenario the Frame is almost same with the exception of swingarm and slightly thinner front-shockers.
Old 2nd July 2023, 15:37   #701
BHPian

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img_20230702_0810290101.jpeg

My "Hulk"
Kottayamkaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 12:15   #702
BHPian

I recently bought a Dominar 400 in green colour. I wanted a bike which is modern in technology, adequately powered and most importantly, should cost less than 2 lakh ex.showroom. Dominar 400 fit perfectly to my criterion.
Dominar 400 costs 1,99,991 ex.showroom in Kerala. I paid 2,56,000 to get it on road. I am planning to write a detailed review. The bikes I owned in the past are - Honda CB Twister, Honda CB Unicorn(Soon to be parted with it. A good friend of my mine will take good care of it.), RE Himalayan(Bought used from my close friend, Sold it after having it for 8 months and 13,000kms).

Here's a picture of my new ride:
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-20230708_180907.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-20230708_195650.jpg  

sole_rider is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 10:48   #703
BHPian

Brought home a Charcoal Black Dominar 400 in late May.

Buying experience

I was looking to upgrade my Honda CBR 250R which has served me well for over 10 years. During my search, a friend recommended I look at the Dominar. Initially, I was only looking at the KTM Adventure 390 and the Interceptor. While the bikes are from different segments, I have always liked them. The Dominar was a late entrant in my search, but it slowly started to appeal to me.

Every showroom I went to whether it was KTM, Bajaj or RE, I was just faced with disappointment. There is something about salespeople not greeting you with a smile, giving you their attention, explaining their products in detail etc., that just irks me and I felt it was the same every where.
  • At Khivraj KTM, Indiranagar, I was greeted by a bored salesperson who did not try to explain anything about the Adventure nor was interested in making a sale. They did give me a test ride, but the bike was in bad shape.
  • At RE Avahan, near Kalyanagar, I walked around the showroom for 10 minutes looking at the salespeople have a laugh about something before being attended to and then just given a tablet saying you can look at the prices and customizations here. I was given a test ride of the Interceptor, and found some issues with the posture that made me rethink the bike.
  • At Khivraj Bajaj Indiranagar, I was told I would be given a test ride - was made to wait 20 mins - then told that there are no test ride vehicles and they would arrange one over the weekend. What annoyed me the most about the experience here was receiving a call in a couple of days and the lady over the phone asking me to share with her the feedback link that Bajaj shares with the customer. I found it unethical and decided to look for another showroom even though this was within 3km of my house.

Finally, went to Popular Bajaj, Koramangala as I had not yet tested a Dominar. It was a decent experience. Rode a new test ride bike and enjoyed it. Then it was a matter of mind over heart - while my heart still said KTM Adventure, my pocket preferred the Dominar. And I booked it within a day.

The overall experience with Popular Bajaj was decent. Got the bike within a week. Although, even after two months I am still waiting to receive my RC card as the HSRP details were uploaded really late, only after I followed up. I may have to go to the RTO myself to hopefully get a copy if it is printed.

First service experience

I finished my first 500 kms in a week's time and took the bike to Khivraj Bajaj, Indiranagar, Bangalore, as it was close to home. The experience was mixed. While the SA was receptive and amicable, there was a sense that they were just trying to get the bikes out in record time (which was expected). While I usually prefer staying at the service centre and monitoring the service, I was told that they had around 15 Dominars already in line for service and it would take a long time before they got to mine. This was at 9.00 am.

At 12.50 pm, I get a call from the billing department stating that my bike is ready and to come and pick it up immediately. So I head there, only to be told that it is the lunch break and my bike wash / 3M polish that they do is not yet completed. Even at the billing department, I was told that it was the lunch break and when I stated that I had been told to come and pick it up, the person reluctantly finished my billing. After that it was a long wait, till nearly 2.30 pm to finally get my bike. In that time, I also saw the conditions in which a relatively young boy was using some sort of air-powered gun to apply the 3M polish. Found it suffocating to stay there for just 30 mins, I am not sure how they would doing it the whole day. Disappointed after witnessing this as well, I have decided to not go back to this service centre.

Two-month review

After completing about two months and 1500km on the bike, it's a love-hate relationship with the bike, but I think it is slowly growing on me. Coming from a Honda, the vibrations on this are definitely annoying, but I am getting used to it gradually. Low-speed tractability in traffic is great, but you do have to get used to the weight of the bike. On the highway, it does feel solid at speed, but again the vibrations at certain RPMs do get in the way of an enjoyable experience. I hope that the bike gets smoother with time, as I am still in the running-in period.

The headlights are really good, and so is the rider's seat. Pillion seat I have been told is not very comfortable over a long period of time and that is fine since I mostly tour alone. I find the secondary display quite useless because of the position and just wish Bajaj updated the software to make ODO and Trips available on the main display. Especially on highways it is quite irritating to look down to get a ODO/Trip reading.

While it feels like I've stated several cons, I do enjoy riding the bike, the power and grunt it has to offer. The bike is growing on me every day.
lobojames9 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 08:16   #704

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
Brought home a Charcoal Black Dominar 400 in late May.

Buying experience

While it feels like I've stated several cons, I do enjoy riding the bike, the power and grunt it has to offer. The bike is growing on me every day.
The bike is good and provides ample power and torque while on highways and can cruise easily at 110-130 kph. But yes the Dominar suffers from Shims issue and unpleasent noise due to this while idling/riding. To fix this Most of SVC will change valves, shims, cylinder head within warranty, but it'll come again and again. Hope you find a good SC which will resolve this issue promptly and acknowledge your problem.

But anyway, the bike is very good albeit would have liked if it had shed some 20kilos. Enjoy your riding.
Old 25th August 2023, 15:52   #705
BHPian

My 2023 BS6 Dominar 400. Have covered about 3700jm since i bought it in May 2023. The bike is a true mile muncher. However, there is ample vibrations on the bike. I have got rid of the stock windshield and handguards. Have added aftermarket visor and handguards. Also have added Maddog aux lights and a 1 inch handle bar raiser. I have also changed the front and back breakpads to ceramic pads. One constant nagging i have with the bike is the lack of rear brake bite. Even after changing to ceramic pads, the bite is low. So i have to rely on front brake a bit more.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img_20230730_071311_bokeh02.jpeg  

Kottayamkaran is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks