Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2021, 06:39   #646
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_end View Post
Purchasing a new bike:

I started out with a budget and things that were important to me, in order of priority:

1. Budget 2.5L onroad (including everything)
2. Fun to drive (hard to quantify)
3. Go anywhere type, a comfortable riding position for long drives
4. Comfortable for pillion
5. Good service/repair network

I
Have you looked at the Honda CB350? kinda fits all you want. Unless you are after a naked look
Old 22nd April 2021, 09:23   #647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Have you looked at the Honda CB350? kinda fits all you want. Unless you are after a naked look
Yep, decent bikes (Hness/RS). In short, I felt the D400 was a better overall package in terms of power, performance, comfort (both rider and pillion), and being fun to drive. The D400 is a bit more expensive but within budget, and to me totally worth the premium over the HNess/RS.

I've realized that purchasing a motorcycle is a far more subjective experience than I had expected it to be. As a person with generally not very strong opinions about things, I think I would have been happy purchasing almost any bike that was >2L and <2.5L. Except for the budget, riding position and pillion comfort, I didn't have any hard requirements.

As an aside, I'm really quite annoyed and frustrated by the gimmicky attempts to integrate mobile app connectivity and navigation into motorcycles. The HNess navigation is even more useless than the Himalayan Tripper module. The factory fitted usb-charger is nice on the HNess, but its inexplicably missing on the RS.
Old 3rd May 2021, 05:22   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by espraveen View Post
Hi,
Was the issue resolved? What was the cause for the part's failure?
-Regards
Sorry for the late reply. ASC could not figure out, why the part had failed.
Got new part ordered and delivered through 99rpm. The plastic coupler connecting the part to harness was not readily available and ASC suggested to replace the entire wiring harness. Managed to get the coupler from Ali-Express[before it was banned] and ASC wired it for me. No further issues observed after 2 months of running.
Old 3rd May 2021, 09:29   #649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethnicul View Post
Sorry for the late reply. ASC could not figure out, why the part had failed.
Got new part ordered and delivered through 99rpm. The plastic coupler connecting the part to harness was not readily available and ASC suggested to replace the entire wiring harness. Managed to get the coupler from Ali-Express[before it was banned] and ASC wired it for me. No further issues observed after 2 months of running.
Can you please share the link to the connector? What is the connector called?
Old 3rd May 2021, 12:01   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can you please share the link to the connector? What is the connector called?
Its a 6 pin ,2.8mm wire connector(female).
Link from another website

https://roboticsdna.in/product/6-pin...s-for-e-bikes/

Link for the failed part (termination unit)

https://www.99rpm.com/bajaj/wiring-r...minar-400.html
Ethnicul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 23:23   #651
BHPian

Note: If this is irrelevant please delete.

So I am planning to buy a used 2017 dominar with 27k om the odometer and the seller has proposed a final price of 105k, so is it a good deal? Or should I let it pass?
I have checked and ridden the bike already.
Old 5th June 2021, 01:01   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanTDK View Post

So I am planning to buy a used 2017 dominar with 27k om the odometer and the seller has proposed a final price of 105k, so is it a good deal? Or should I let it pass?
For reference, I sold my 2017 Dominar with 30k on the Odo, at 1 lakh in Mar-20 just before the initial lockdown. I don't think that's the price you could pay, you could get better ones for that money, just try a little more.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 17:46   #653
BHPian

Quote:

PM me if you are still looking for one. I am looking for selling mine.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 11:37   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
PM me if you are still looking for one. I am looking for selling mine.
Yes, I'm still intrested in buying. But being a newbie I don't think I can pm you yet.
Old 6th June 2021, 16:16   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I'm still intrested in buying. But being a newbie I don't think I can pm you yet.
Hey BatmanTDK,

You have disabled your email option so I am not able to email you. You can email me from my profile.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 21:58   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Hey BatmanTDK,

You have disabled your email option so I am not able to email you. You can email me from my profile.
I didn't Know it was disabled!
Could you please send me an email with the bike's details?
Old 8th July 2021, 10:44   #657
BHPian

Dominar 400 touring version on the cards? The version looks interesting.

Link

Last edited by Emvi : 8th July 2021 at 10:48.
Old 17th October 2021, 21:28   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Dominar 400 touring version on the cards? The version looks interesting.

Link
Video :

Looks good. Only accessories/addons . Hardly find Dominars in the showroom, let alone test drives... Hope improve the sales experience

Last edited by knaveen : 17th October 2021 at 21:32.
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 13:36   #659
BHPian

Dominar 400 Long term Review -

Disclaimer - This is not an official review of the bike but my personal experience.

I was looking for a long term review of the D400 and failed to find any. This motivated me to pen my experience over the past 5 years with my steed. So here goes...

Decision Decision -
This was way back in 2017 when I was moving on from my corporate job in one of the Big 4 consulting firms to purse my post graduation. There was no absolute need for a 2 wheeler since I had a nice little hatchback for city runabout and the occasional highway dash. Then came Bajaj with the advertisement for a hypermiling D400 mocking the Royal Enfield (as elephants) and I was instantly captivated.
The last bike I had owned was a CBR150 and replacing it would require something special. As I said, I was not actively looking for anything but fell prey to the marketing gimmick. The decision was made to have one before I re-started going to college (fortunately I did not have to switch cities, only houses. Test drive done, booking made and just before the end of FY 16-17, I was the proud owner of a Bajaj Dominar 400 ABS in plum color.
Unfortunately, one of the last things on my mind while travelling or otherwise is clicking pictures. While I write this, i realize I do not have a picture of me with the bike or even just the bike. Google (and Team BHP) to the rescue!

Name:  modenasdominar400color103399.png
Views: 763
Size:  132.2 KB

Experience This Far -
The bike has been a blast so far. Seems like I got a good piece from the starting batch because I did not face any of the niggles that were reported initially. The bike has been ridden ~15,000 kms (50%highway 50% city). The usage has reduced quite a bit since the first lockdown and subsequent marriage (the missus is a bit fearful of 2 wheelers). But I do try to keep it running ~250 kms a month by means of short, early morning trips around the city and whenever I need to travel somewhere solo.
The bike has been through its cycles of regular service with only the battery needing replacement after 4.5 years of duty.

Likes -
  • Feeling of endless power
  • Comfortable saddle with adequate comfort for pillion
  • Solid build quality (the paint job is actually noteworthy)
  • The bike doesn't feel cumbersome to handle in heavy Bangalore traffic. Only when reversing do you feel its weight
  • Highway stability
  • FE from a 35bhp 373cc engine has been more than expected
  • The devil eyes' headlamps
  • The slipper clutch is a boon for engine braking
  • Safety features (e.g the engine shuts down if you engage a gear with the side stand open)
  • Heat dissipation

Dislikes -
  • Vibrations between 80kmph and 90kmph. They do disappear after 90 but that is mostly the operating range on our highways
  • The buttons and handlebar seem slightly cheap as compared to the overall bike
  • Side mirrors seem to be lacking in coverage
  • Bajaj ASS. No need to elaborate, I think
Running Cost calculations -
Total comes to ~Rs 75,000 for 15,000kms (break down below)
1. Service costs - An average of Rs 3,000 for each paid service. Total = Rs 20,000 (1st 3 free services for Rs 5,000 and 5 paid services)
2. Fuel costs - Considering an FE of 30kmpl (I am a sedate rider) and an average of Rs80/L of petrol (since most of my riding happened pre-covid), total = Rs 40,000 for 15,000 kms
3. Insurance = Rs 10,000 (renewed 3 times so far)
4. Repairs cost - Rs 3,000 (battery)
5. Miscellaneous - Rs 2,000 (tolls, PUC, parking, couple of speeding fines)

Conclusion -
Is running a premium tourer expensive? - Depends on perspective but you might say so.
Is is logical to have one in the garage? - Again perspective, but more of a heart over head decision.
Is it fun? - Oodles of fun and absolutely worth it!

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th April 2022 at 21:58.
ShreyG is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 06:13   #660
BHPian

Hello all,
What is the latest stable version of ECU s/w available for 2017 ABS model Diminar? When I requested the service center guy here in Hyderabad to upgrade from the 116 version running on my bike, he said there are many reports of engine stalling and issues while starting the bike with the 117 version. Can anyone else confirm if that is true or was he just trying to avoid the work?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks