Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2019, 10:06   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Attachment 1849513

Done to accommodate the info that has been replaced in the main console.

The upside being you don't have to reach far ahead to reset the trip meters now.
Any idea how easy it is to look at this tank display while doing cruising speeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
To me, personally, that gear indicator is the best upgrade. I don't really find anything wrong with the forks to lust after the USD version.

Also, the bump in power appears to be from the redesigned exhaust plus a remap since the engine specs remain identical. Or did I miss a DOHC mention somewhere?

I recently took off the endcan from my bike. It revs noticeably quicker (feels faster because of this) with a throatier exhaust note. About as loud as a Duke, not more. I'm guessing it may have bumped the power up slightly too. Also, since the catcon is housed in the midpipe, removing the endcan is absolutely fine.

Here's mine: (Before the endcan was removed.)
Yous bike looks smoking hot
Old 18th February 2019, 11:20   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Dominar is a capable bike - only if Bajaj had got their marketing tactics right, the product would’ve done better. On the other hand, upgraded bike has good amount of features. Hope it draws in the required sales. Certainly do not want a good bike ride into the sunset in the coming years owing to poor sales.
It's just not the marketing issue. One of my very close friends has a Dominar. Although he loves his bike, however, he has a constant complaint with regards to the service quality. Bajaj has not given sufficient training to their folks, or they are not taken seriously. Most of the time, the service center refuses to accept a problem in the bike and have this, "we won't fix it, do whatever you can" attitude.

There are umpteen number of stories of bad service on social media (there are good ones also). When they launched and compared themselves with RE, they should have also thought of the no-nonsense, receptive service people. Its an amazingly capable bike, but then a capable tourer should also be backed by an equally capable service network.

I don't think that by launching an updated version in any way going to fix the service issues. That's a systemic problem. I do however wish best for the bike, its a good one at that price point.
ambujlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 13:14   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
I can hardly feel the bike being that heavy, and this coming from a guy who's height is a mere 5'-4/5".

I can only feel it's weight when I'm at a standstill on an undulated road or if I'm taking a 90° turn at very low speeds.
I don't own a Dominar but had borrowed one recently for 3-4 months. I am 5' 6" and agree with you that in stop go traffic the combination of weight and height is uncomfortable. Or while taking slow turns. The gearing is also short in the lower gears so you find yourself doing a lot of gear shifts in urban traffic conditions.

I personally feel that this would be great for someone over 5' 8" and who is also looking to use it mainly for highway rides.
Old 18th February 2019, 13:32   #574
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Any idea how easy it is to look at this tank display while doing cruising speeds
Guess we'll have to wait for ownership experiences to clarify that.

Though on the Dominar I have difficulty even reading the main speedo most of the time. A sizeable visor would've been a really good addition.
Old 20th February 2019, 11:25   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Any idea how easy it is to look at this tank display while doing cruising speeds?
Not diffucult, but remember that the secondary display will not be in your normal vertical field of vision. You will have to consciously look at it, which means eyes off the road.

Quote:
Yous bike looks smoking hot
Thank you! It's had a few additional mods since this pic was taken.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 15:22   #576
Senior - BHPian

Dear friends
I have 10 year old Unicorn which has served me really well and has clocked 60K on ODO. I am planning to change the vehicle and upgrade to slightly higher power machine. Hence, considering to go with Dominar. My requirements are simple:

1. Straight riding posture (Similar to Unicorn)
2. I plan to keep it for 10 years minimum and hence, I need fill it - forget it kind of maintenance for 10 years(Yes, Honda Unicorn was like this. Have changed on Brake pad twice and Tires once. No other changes for 10 years)

I have read through most of the reviews and experience on this thread and really happy to see the good reviews but, somehow, I am afraid of Bajaj Quality. Hence, need advice, assurance and probably counselling on below questions

1. Whether Dominar is a reliable, Good and quality bike?
2. Can I keep it for long term (Say 10 years) with fill it and shut it kind of maintenance?
3. Can I modify the handle such that it will also have same riding posture as Unicorn? What are the impact (Clutch cable, accelerator cable etc)

Please advise.
Old 22nd February 2019, 18:46   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I have read through most of the reviews and experience on this thread and really happy to see the good reviews but, somehow, I am afraid of Bajaj Quality. Hence, need advice, assurance and probably counselling on below questions

1. Whether Dominar is a reliable, Good and quality bike?
2. Can I keep it for long term (Say 10 years) with fill it and shut it kind of maintenance?
3. Can I modify the handle such that it will also have same riding posture as Unicorn? What are the impact (Clutch cable, accelerator cable etc)

Please advise.
To answer in a nutshell, if one maintains his/her vehicle it won't give any problems.

Coming back to Bajaj's quality, yes, if you have to compare it with Honda it won't be on par with them. Regarding my personal experience, I am a proud owner of Pulsar 180 Dtsi UG3 (2008). The bike has never given me any problems. I have not had serviced it for a year due to me using it less once I got a job. All I did was change the Engine Oil regularly and it was good to go. The bike will soon turn 11 and is currently being taken care off by my friend as I moved overseas. Even if you look at it today it won't look like a 11 year old bike.

Plus Bajaj spare parts are really cheap. It is less maintenance costs with these vehicles. Hope this helps you with your quest to get a new Bike.

I would say get a good Test ride and get a feel for the bike. Dominar does not have a committed riding position as a sports bike. In my opinion you won't need to make any modifications to the Handle.

Regards,

aghate22
aghate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 00:53   #578
BHPian

Bookings are officially open.

Link
Old 4th March 2019, 10:08   #579
Senior - BHPian

I finally took a plunge and booked Dominar 400 based on all our fellow BHPians reviews and feedback. Got it delivered on 1st Mar(2018 Model with lot of discounts and offers)

After 2 days of driving within city and around 100 Kms of riding, I am happy that I made a good decision. It is very prematured to give my opinions on quality of bike. However, I think, I am qualified to write about small concerns that have come up for me only.
My small concerns are:

1. Riding position need to be much more Upright (For me.)
2. Pillion Seats have to be slightly longer.

My questions:
1. Which handle bar should I go for, in order to get riding position comfort as that of Unicorn?
I am thinking of Enfield Thunderbird, Discover (I do not mind looks getting distorted)

2. If at all, brake host pipe/ cable has to be changed, Does it impact ABS ? IF yes, Which brake hostpipe /cable is the best fit considering the length increase of around 4 inches?

3. Which is the best shop within Bangalore where Dominar accessories are available? I am thinking of installing:
A. Back rest for pillion
B. Slightly bigger Wind shield
C. Handle Bar (Please suggest which one)
D. Sarree Guard with Foot rest for ladies to step on and sit.

Last edited by gkveda : 4th March 2019 at 10:10.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 14:27   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I finally took a plunge and booked Dominar 400 based on all our fellow BHPians reviews and feedback. Got it delivered on 1st Mar(2018 Model with lot of discounts and offers)
Congratulations on the purchase, but why not wait for the 2019 edition. For accessories you can contact hyperrider.in or Lluvia on instagram. Hyperrider has good products for the dominar and is based out of Bangalore.

Ride Safe!
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 14:51   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Congratulations on the purchase, but why not wait for the 2019 edition. For accessories you can contact hyperrider.in or Lluvia on instagram. Hyperrider has good products for the dominar and is based out of Bangalore.

Ride Safe!
Thank you. To be honest, I did not see the value add that I would get if I wait for 2019 edition because of the following reasons:

1. I got very good discounts for outgoing 2018 model. If I were to purchase 2019 model, then, I have to forego the discounts (around 15K more) and additional 15K more for new model due to price hike by Bajaj. Totally 30K plus will be my additional investment

2. If I see what is that I get in return, I get the below features

USD Forks: This, in my understanding, will add comfort during cornering. I have never done cornering on bikes in life for 48 years now and I do not foresee to get additional spirits to do cornering in near or far future

Gear Shift Indicator: I do not feel the need for it now, after riding close to 1.5 lakhs kilometers on earlier bikes(Suzuki Samurai - 65K, Pulsar 30K, Unicorn 150: 60K Kms)

Power increase from 35BHP to 39BHP: In my view, this make no difference to me or my driving style on Indian Roads. Even if it makes difference, In my view, it is not worth 30K investment

I will visit hyperrider.in this week end

Last edited by gkveda : 4th March 2019 at 14:53.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 16:10   #582
BHPian

Quote:
My questions:
1. Which handle bar should I go for, in order to get riding position comfort as that of Unicorn?
I am sure you might have thought a lot about this but my honest opinion is that Absolute straight sitting position is not the most comfortable position as your entire body weight will be on your waist.

It would have been very comfortable position on Unicorn since the suspension is very supple there, when suspension is not as soft as unicorn per se., its always better to spread your body wight between waist and your arms.
It would be very uncomfortable ride on bad roads while sitting straight on dominar's suspension, there is high risk of lower back pain or fatigue.

If you observe, Except for american crusiers, universally whenever the sitting position is straight the suspension will be tuned soft ex:ADVs or unicorns whereas the seating position will always be leaning forward whenever the suspensions are harder like ex: sports tourers, nakeds or sport bikes.
Harder the suspension, more committed the riding position.

I suggest you to use Dominar as it is for a while and see if you will get adjusted to that
gauravanekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 18:09   #583
BANNED

Quote:
I am thinking of Enfield Thunderbird, Discover (I do not mind looks getting distorted)
Easier said than done, if like the Duke's the Dominar also has a handlebar with varying diameters then you'd not be able to fix any other OEM bar's, learn't this the hard way as I had the KTM setup on my P220;

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-14434897_1046584768796410_3884177403903222655_o.jpg

So first thing to do would be to temporarily take the clamp off and measure the diameter of the handlebar at the clamping points.

Once done find suitable OEM(Aftermarket bar's usually aren't engineered with weak points, meaning more damage on impact.) and then get matching groves and position holes done at your local lathe and the rest would be a walk in the park.

Quote:
2. If at all, brake host pipe/ cable has to be changed, Does it impact ABS ? IF yes, Which brake hostpipe /cable is the best fit considering the length increase of around 4 inches?
Clutch cable and brake line would need to be changed, with my current setup i.e Discover 150F bracket and handlebar, which is really tall, I'm using both cable and line from the Avenger,

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-discover01.jpeg

You could also do the same, or if you're having inhibitions of switching to rubber lines then you can even get aftermarket steel braided lines on Amazon for just about as much as an OEM rubber hose costs.

I'd suggest sticking to OEM Bajaj parts as they're easier to source, and the lines etc, come with all accompanying parts included in the pack i.e new crush washers and banjo bolts, plus they're cheap.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 14:01   #584
Senior - BHPian

Test Ride Review of the 2019 Dominar is out: Link AutocarIndia

Last edited by aah78 : 5th March 2019 at 23:12. Reason: Invalid image removed.
payeng is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 17:16   #585
Senior - BHPian

Overdrive also has published the First Ride Review of the 2019 Dominar: Link Overdrive

From the Overdrive Review:

Quote:
This improvement in performance has been made possible by moving to a DOHC setup as opposed to the SOHC setup on the earlier version along with a few other changes.
Quote:
Importantly, vibration has been damped well and our test bike had very little vibration, even when close to the redline. Bajaj tells us vibration was an area of concern and special emphasis has been laid on reducing it and I have to admit, the updated Dominar feels a lot better.
Quote:
And talking about touring, the tachometer displayed 6,500rpm at a speedometer indicated 120kmph, with barely any vibration – from the footpegs, tank, seat or handlebars – which means the updated Dominar will be a more accomplished tourer.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th March 2019 at 23:13. Reason: Invalid image removed.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks