Old 30th May 2017, 23:26   #166
BHPian

Re: 2017 KTM 390 Duke, 250 Duke and 200 Duke launched in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Yesssss!!

Dude - more info please on the Conti's MC:

- Cost
- Any mods needed? (I would imagine not needed, but still checking)
- Are you able to pull the brake lever all the way till the hand grip? If no, how far from the grips are you at max pull (4 finger braking)? Still pinch your ring / pinky finger on hard braking?
- Overall impression - worth it? Recommended?

Appreciate you taking the time to respond. Would pull the trigger on this mod this week itself if you recommend
-Cost-3k Rs
-Absolutely no mods needed, don't forget to buy the continental GT's MC bolt(bangee bolt) as you would need to put this instead of the stock bolt.
-Lever doesn't touch the handgrip at all. From the handgrip, lever would be 1-1.5 cms away on hard braking. Nope, doesn't happen.
-i would definitely recommend this change! It definitey improves the braking on KTMs.
Some vlogger has done the same modification and has put his views on youtube.Do look at that video, should clear all your doubts about this.

Last edited by nitninja : 30th May 2017 at 23:31.
nitninja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 00:51   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IIRC, you mentioned sometime back about changing the 390's MC to the one on RE Continental GT. Did you get it done? Any feedback on effectiveness?
I incurred a couple of fractures in my foot over the holidays so I am out of commission. Haven't had the chance to ride or drive for a while. Meanwhile I heard from someone who owns an RC390 with Continental GT master cylinder, that the master cylinder from the Continental GT is ideally meant for dual disc setups and for some reason that I didn't quite grasp fully, that makes hard braking a little unpredictable. That's put that thought on hold. Once I'm back in action a trip to the service center is needed to inquire about retrofitting the 2017 disc and master cylinder.

Perhaps nitninja should be able to tell us whether this is true or not

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd June 2017 at 10:26. Reason: Acronyms expanded
Old 31st May 2017, 07:13   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I incurred a couple of fractures in my foot over the holidays so I am out of commission. Haven't had the chance to ride or drive for a while. Meanwhile I heard from someone who owns an RC390 with CGT MC, that the MC from the CGT is ideally meant for dual disc setups and for some reason that I didn't quite grasp fully, that makes hard braking a little unpredictable. That's put that thought on hold. Once I'm back in action a trip to the service center is needed to inquire about retrofitting the 2017 disc and MC.

Perhaps nitninja should be able to tell us whether this is true or not
Continental GT's MC has a larger piston, resulting in better bite. Hard braking is very much predictable with CGT's MC, have faced a few panic situations and the bike stopped well on time.
Ishaan, I don't think CGT's MC is meant for dual disc setups. I mean why would RE use it on a single disc bike? Isn't using a different MC, a cost effective way? And I don't think dual disc MC would retail for 3k too.
nitninja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 11:43   #169
Senior - BHPian

^^ I think Ishaan's buddy meant that the GTs MC is set up for a 2 piston caliper while The duke has a 4 piston setup. Definitely something to consider
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 12:52   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys - Anyone planning to retro fit the 2017 Duke 390 Brake MC + Pads + Disc to their older rides? I recently test rode a brand new 390 and the braking is mind numbingly good. So much that I absolutely HATE the existing system on my 2014 model
Me. Me. Definitely going for the retrofitting. Planning to change the rotor, pads and the master cylinder as soon as the spares are available. And yes, the 2017's brakes are much much better!
Old 31st May 2017, 14:23   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
Ishaan, I don't think CGT's MC is meant for dual disc setups. I mean why would RE use it on a single disc bike? Isn't using a different MC, a cost effective way? And I don't think dual disc MC would retail for 3k too.
Quote:
^^ I think Ishaan's buddy meant that the GTs MC is set up for a 2 piston caliper while The duke has a 4 piston setup. Definitely something to consider
My bad Urban Nomad is right I googled it and realized that's what he must've meant. Think I must've heard it wrong I am not very good at technicalities better at just describing what I feel. Anyway I will probably be going back to Hyderabad soon and my foot is all set to be healed in the next couple of weeks so I would be able to ride his bike and compare it with mine and tell you what I feel

Meanwhile anyone got any updates on retrofitting the newer 390s entire brake setup? Read in the last page someone mentioning that the disc does not mount onto the old rims or something like that? Sounds more like a lazy service attendant to me. The KTM service is not very great when it comes to such stuff all they can do is change your sparkplugs, change oil, change brake pads, filters etc. they aren't very sensitive to the way the bike rides (half the time I need to tell them to bleed the brake lines properly because they wouldn't have done that) nor do they display any interest in wanting to retrofit newer parts. Will have to check this out as soon as my foot is healed.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 31st May 2017 at 14:25.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 16:13   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You feel the new MC will cause spongy braking in time but still suggest retro fitting it? You think it would still be horrible despite maintaining a minimum annual brake bleed?
Purely based on how the original MC behaved. I remember by around 9000kms the breaks started to become squishy and bleeding did help. So i go with that feel that the new bike feeling good doesnt take the same pattern and stick to better quality.

This squishiness is mostly due to air lock if i am right so the best way to know is by time.

I remember seeing the 320mm disc available for even the old 390 as an aftermarket. I would be surprised if they cannot be replaced based on the last few comments.

Quote:
they aren't very sensitive to the way the bike rides (half the time I need to tell them to bleed the brake lines properly because they wouldn't have done that) nor do they display any interest in wanting to retrofit newer parts. Will have to check this out as soon as my foot is healed.
Guess by this time they should know better for they were new to these bikes early. Basically bajaj service personal trained in factory were asked to take up this job with no clue of what could go right or wrong. With over 3 years now in their pocket some should be able to clearly identify what can go wrong.

But i hear to Ishaan, explaining them about bad fuel filter took me time and instead i simply replaced it on my own. Fuel filter was always a culprit for me. So kept 80 buck spare in the bike knowing i will need it sometime
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 16:29   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I remember seeing the 320mm disc available for even the old 390 as an aftermarket. I would be surprised if they cannot be replaced based on the last few comments
I agree. Galfer definitely makes a 320 rotor (been out for a while - pricey), as does another brand "Frando" as well as the big daddy Brembo (again, VERY pricey)

Its a chore to get even basic mods done at the SVC, and these are the plug and play kinds I am talking about here. No jugaad, nothing. That's why I am a bit skeptical when Nitninja says the front rotor wont fit. Doesn't make sense to stock 2 different sets of wheels for the same bike (old vs new I mean)
Old 31st May 2017, 18:13   #174
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. Galfer definitely makes a 320 rotor (been out for a while - pricey), as does another brand "Frando" as well as the big daddy Brembo (again, VERY pricey)

Its a chore to get even basic mods done at the SVC, and these are the plug and play kinds I am talking about here. No jugaad, nothing. That's why I am a bit skeptical when Nitninja says the front rotor wont fit. Doesn't make sense to stock 2 different sets of wheels for the same bike (old vs new I mean)
Checked with two different SVCs and they are sure that 2017 rotor and caliper wont fit the old bikes, as the mounting points of the rotor are different between the old and new ones. I think 2017 MC should be a direct fit and even the svc people were affirmative. I might fix 2017 MC, if the piston size is larger than the CGT's.
Aftermarket MCs demand ridiculous prices.Brembo RCS 15 retails at over 10k and seems to be the favourite among duke users. But spending over 10k for improving braking is way above my comfortable zone, hence settled for CGT's MC.

Last edited by nitninja : 31st May 2017 at 18:35.
nitninja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 10:21   #175
BHPian

Any idea if the bash-plate on the new model would retrofit the older ones? Looks like a straight forward fit. Also, probably would take some time before we can buy it as a spare.
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:58   #176
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Meanwhile I heard from someone who owns an RC390 with CGT MC, that the MC from the CGT is ideally meant for dual disc setups
Guys,

Request: Please don't use hard-to-understand acronyms on Team-BHP. Request to type the word in its full form. Typing properly also helps to easily find a post via search.

Thanks for the support & understanding .
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 14:06   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

Request: Please don't use hard-to-understand acronyms on Team-BHP. Request to type the word in its full form. Typing properly also helps to easily find a post via search.

Thanks for the support & understanding .
Thanks for that post. That being said, I am assuming CGT = Continental GT and MC = Master Cylinder?
farhadtarapore is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 11:02   #178
Senior - BHPian

KTM recalls year 2017 make bikes for faulty headlight in UK

KTM is recalling 2017 390 and 125 cc dukes owing to possible faulty headlights. They deem that driving with this issue may be a potential dangerous riding situation. According to the firm, during testing they have found sporadic cases of reboot of LED headlight. Customers have been asked to contact their authorized dealers for a free software update. This recall is right now only for the UK customers.

Quoting from the article:
Quote:
The statement said: 'During the internal endurance testing, KTM experienced some cases of sporadic reboots of the LED headlight. As this may lead to potentially dangerous riding situations, the software of the headlight needs to be updated as soon as possible.
More information from Visordown.

Mods, Please do merge or move this to appropriate thread.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 11:26   #179
Team-BHP Support

Motorbeam drag test shows that the Duke 250 is the fastest 250-200cc bike out there.

FZ25 comes in second, though the difference is quite significant.

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 08:05   #180
BHPian

The ex-showroom prices of the entire KTM line up post GST in each state has been made available here :
https://www.rushlane.com/ktm-india-p...-12246003.html

Should be useful to prospective customers.

Last edited by tabrez : 7th July 2017 at 08:05. Reason: Post indented
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks