Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2018, 13:20   #16
BHPian

Re: My 2018 Honda CBR 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post

Royal Enfield Himalayan...
Did you consider these bikes in detail by taking long test rides? I'm also in similar situation. Only thing is my current pulsar AS200 is giving me no reason to upgrade.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th November 2018 at 16:04.
Old 12th November 2018, 14:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!

The good thing about Honda's are that they're mostly no-nonsense buys. You knowingly spend a bit more upfront but pamper it well and you're rewarded with a fuss-free ownership experience that its competitors cant really match up to!

God speed and drive safe.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 14:46   #18
BHPian

Congrats on the buy! It's overpriced, but it'll serve you well. Hate Honda for going the Hero way and doing sticker job updates, but then again, mechanically it's simple and is dead reliable so long as you use it well. Not much direct competitors that do a better job at being a simple, reliable, comfortable mile muncher.

Quote:
[b]
Modifications Planned
None.
I intend to keep the bike bare stock as that's how I like it.
However I am putting on some accessories which I require while on touring.
You should do a couple of mods, though:

1) Swap the useless ContiGos for a pair of Michelin Pilot Streets. Best money you'll ever spend on the bike. Changes the bike completely.

Quote:
[b]

Steel Braided Lines
Now am I asking too much? But this would have definitely been so much better.
2) The steel braided lines from the Duke 200 are a straight fit and using DOT4 brake fluid improves the feel.

Have fun! You look like you're having a ball with the bike! Happy mile munching!
evilmessiah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 14:46   #19
BHPian

Congratulations for the new ride. Hope it gives you countless happy journeys. I feel CBR250 is THE most under rated bike at the moment. And a lot has to do with Honda ignoring the Indian market completely to sell Activas (Can't blame them actually)! Numerous bikes flooded our markets in these years while Honda keeps giving us new stickers and head lights! Still, it did not take a lot of convincing to a friend who happily got this beauty a couple of months back (same color scheme). Reasons being reliability, pillion comfort and touring capability. He did Pune-Goa-Pune within a month of getting it, and now is on a tour to Nepal!
quickfox11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 14:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Congratulations!

The good thing about Honda's are that they're mostly no-nonsense buys. You knowingly spend a bit more upfront but pamper it well and you're rewarded with a fuss-free ownership experience that its competitors cant really match up to!

God speed and drive safe.
Well said and it's true- took the words out of my mouth. The CBR650 is in the same position in the upper segments. It's may not be as thrilling as a Street Triple or a Z900 and may be more expensive than the competition, but the premium is paid back in lesser service costs and lesser niggles in general.

Last edited by evilmessiah : 12th November 2018 at 14:55.
evilmessiah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 16:07   #21
BHPian

Congrats! That's a neat-looking machine you've got there.

The CBR250R may not be the most modern-looking or the fastest accelerating in its segment, but it is a fuss-free, no-nonsense product that's not going to let you down. I do like the treatment that Honda has recently given to the bike to spruce it up and keep it with the times.

If I were to pick a touring companion from this segment now, I too would go for the CBR eyes-closed. One might not have the best pre-sales or service experience with a Honda product, but the quality and reliability of the mechanical bits more than makes up for it.

Wishing you thousands of happy miles with it!
ram.iyer95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 16:21   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

congrats on your new purchase, the new sticker job does make it look fresh, wish you a very long and happy riding experience.
Old 12th November 2018, 16:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xTKB View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the CBR250R club. As a proud owner of a 2012 Honda CBR250R, I'd like to say that this is the most important and wise purchase of my life. Never in the history of these 6 years I got any kind of issues or problem from the bike.

I used Honda's OEM Honda Throttle 10W30 FS engine oil for first 5.5 years. After that I switched to Motul 300V 5W40 and the difference is quite a lot. I would advice you to switch to after the standard warranty but as you already have take the extended warranty, it is not advisable now.

Regarding your first service, could you please tell me what is this thing which is price at Rs. 885?
I am not sure as to how the SA would identify the change of oil to some other brand. So, if its for better, will do it before the warranty expires.
The Rs.885 is the charge for engine oil flush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
Congrats on your new purchase. I know you will enjoy a lot of happy miles (kilometers) on this bike.
Mine is a 2011 model but still so smooth, reliable and fast.

I have one question, where did you purchase the mobile holder and mobile charger from? If you bought it online, can you post the link?
Thanks mate.
I have brought the charger online, where as the holder is purchased from a local shop. But you can find a similar holder online as well. Below are the links to both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
Congratulations on the bike, may you have a blissful ownership experience with the bike. Of all the 200 - 400 cc options in the market today, CBR 250 is among the best option today for a stress free, reliable, comfortable yet fast motorcycle. Wish Honda pay more attention to this motorcycle, as per my personal experience in Bangalore, dealers still say, "Sir, we don't know when you can have the bike, just place the order and we'll let you know" or "no color choice, you will get whichever is dispatched from the factory to us", "ABS variant not available, buy the standard variant" etc. Compare this with attention out get at Bajaj /KTM or even Yamaha. Many people lose interest and buy something from other brands, leading to poor sales, hence poor attention from HMSI management, so less upgrades and so on.
Surprisingly the attitude here was very different. The sales person actually took me to their warehouse, cleaned the bikes just to show me the color options. I was also offered a test ride on an ABS and a Non-ABS bike.

The dealers keep a very limited stock as this is a slow selling one. 90% people in the showroom are for Activa and 150 cc bikes. And that's how the showrooms are happily making money. Neither Honda nor the showroom is very keen on selling the big bikes in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Congratulations on the CBR 250R. It's a golden standard <300cc. Wishing you the very best.
I always compared the bike to the old Duke 200- the Duke 200 was like an angry teenager whereas the CBR 250R was like a seasoned pro. I hated the cruising ability of my friends' KTM Duke 200, but loved the CBR 250R.
Really true sir. I believe that the bike you ride tells a lot about your character. A CBR gives you that mature look while the duke would give out a teenager look. Neither is bad, but its up to the personal choice.
Quote:
Never knew that a 300cc motorcycle could have so many heating issues.
The heat was generated as Benelli was a twin cylinder bike. The heat was bearable with the proper riding gear on. But not in the traffic with the formal office wear. Worst was when my 2 year old wanted to sit ahead and could not do so because of the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Must say - the new headlamp and graphics have really refreshed the looks to an extent!

CBR250R is a reliable choice no doubt, and an excellent alternative after having all those concerns about your Benelli. Wishing you a long, safe and troublefree ownership ahead!
Thank you Sir. Its indeed a very refreshed headlamp design.
Wish Honda had done something similar with the tail lamp, indicators and the console as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
Did you consider these bikes in detail by taking long test rides? I'm also in similar situation. Only thing is my current pulsar AS200 is giving me no reason to upgrade .
I could only ride them on a specified route set by the showroom. However I did ride them around on the same route for a couple of times.
Apart from the Duke 390 which I wanted to give back on the half way, I just could not connect with the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
Congratulations for the new ride. Hope it gives you countless happy journeys. I feel CBR250 is THE most under rated bike at the moment. And a lot has to do with Honda ignoring the Indian market completely to sell Activas (Can't blame them actually)! Numerous bikes flooded our markets in these years while Honda keeps giving us new stickers and head lights!
I think Honda is following the philosophy of "If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix " .
The CBR is the epitome in smoothness, comfort and balance in this segment. Yes it is underrated, only the ones who buy it understand it.

Quote:
Still, it did not take a lot of convincing to a friend who happily got this beauty a couple of months back (same color scheme). Reasons being reliability, pillion comfort and touring capability. He did Pune-Goa-Pune within a month of getting it, and now is on a tour to Nepal!
Congratulation to your friend and wish him many happy miles on the CBR.

Last edited by iamahunter : 12th November 2018 at 16:34.
Old 12th November 2018, 17:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure as to how the SA would identify the change of oil to some other brand. So, if its for better, will do it before the warranty expires.
The Rs.885 is the charge for engine oil flush.
Dude!!! You have been robbed. First of all, engine oil flush is NOT required after first service. In fact, I never went for a engine oil flush in the 6 years of my riding. I flushed the engine oil when I switched to Motul and that too in October this year. I bought a 3M engine oil flush (around 50 ml) for Rs. 150 I think and that did the trick. Engine oil flushing is generally not recommended for motorcycles in this early stage. Please go to your SA and give him an earful.

Regarding the oil change of another brand, I did all my servicing at Honda service centre. They charged me for everything minus the Motul oil that I bought with me. No issues whatsoever.

EDIT: This is what I bought and used. https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Moreover, please read the service manual and change only IF written in the manual. I really don't remember anything written about engine flushing anywhere in the manual. Please take a look at the manual (Mine is worn out). And if you don't find anything regarding engine flushing, shoot a mail to honda customer care.

Last edited by 0xTKB : 12th November 2018 at 17:28.
Old 12th November 2018, 21:17   #25
BANNED

Congratulations!

A few pointers that you're free to ignore;

1. You seem to have preferred opting for a motorcycle simply by estimating service costs from the SVC rather than having a look at spare pricing, which in my opinion is the less informed choice.

Reason I felt so is because you have provided a wide range that honestly doesn't sync considering consumable costs.

As for spares, the CBR250R is a reasonably expensive motorcycle to own in the quarter liter single cylinder class.

Anyhow, considering that all things go well the CBR is reasonable to cover mines on as oil costs come to 1.2k per 4k KM's and though stock oil filter costs Rs.250/-(IIRC) you could go for a Yamaha FZ16 Oil filter which is a direct fit and costs around 50/-.

As long as you know the importance of timely oil changes stay away from using an Engine Flush, they're not exactly recommended, plus there have been concerns about its impact on oil seals.

2. Slipper Clutch, not sure how this became a fad on road bikes but unless you intend to do some serious lap times on a closed circuit having a slipper clutch is pointless not to mention hazardous in scenarios where you'd feel the need to anchor the rear end.

3. Steel Braided Lines, again, won't make a difference, the only people who say that it has made a difference are those who've swapped to braided lines after covering considerable time on their stock lines and the reason why is obvious.

My motorcycle came with braided lines that I'd scrapped for regular lines as they were cheaper by 1/2 the price, there has been no noticeable difference.

Same goes for brake fluid, but if you intend to use the motorcycle strictly on the track then it's a different scenario and brake fade is a real thing.

BTW, steel braided brake lines are available on Amazon at a reasonable price, IIRC you'd need a 120cm cable, do confirm.

Hope you cover many miles.
Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 12th November 2018 at 21:18.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 22:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Congratulations!

A few pointers that you're free to ignore;

1. You seem to have preferred opting for a motorcycle simply by estimating service costs from the SVC rather than having a look at spare pricing, which in my opinion is the less informed choice.

Reason I felt so is because you have provided a wide range that honestly doesn't sync considering consumable costs.

As for spares, the CBR250R is a reasonably expensive motorcycle to own in the quarter liter single cylinder class.
With all due respect, the fact that I am comparing this with my previous motorcycle will change your perspective. Just for an example, the chain sprocket for the Benelli costed me Rs 12,500/- ; the CBR will cost me not more than Rs 5,000/- at the max. The oil consumed by the Benelli was 3 liters every 4000 kms, CBR consumes 1.8 liter every 6000 kms.

As for spares costings in a Single Cylinder Quarter liter bikes, are on par with the equal competitors.

Quote:
As long as you know the importance of timely oil changes stay away from using an Engine Flush, they're not exactly recommended, plus there have been concerns about its impact on oil seals.
Agree to this.

Quote:
2. Slipper Clutch, not sure how this became a fad on road bikes but unless you intend to do some serious lap times on a closed circuit having a slipper clutch is pointless not to mention hazardous in scenarios where you'd feel the need to anchor the rear end.
I have a habit of using engine braking along the brakes. Its a very effective way to quickly slow down. And this happens a lot during touring on unknown roads. When travelling at highway speeds and suddenly you spot an unmarked speed hump coming your way. Use of engine braking by quickly reducing gear and applying both brakes simultaneously will reduce the speed very effectively. HERE, I feel the need for a slipper clutch.

Quote:
3. Steel Braided Lines, again, won't make a difference, the only people who say that it has made a difference are those who've swapped to braided lines after covering considerable time on their stock lines and the reason why is obvious.

My motorcycle came with braided lines that I'd scrapped for regular lines as they were cheaper by 1/2 the price, there has been no noticeable difference.

Same goes for brake fluid, but if you intend to use the motorcycle strictly on the track then it's a different scenario and brake fade is a real thing.

BTW, steel braided brake lines are available on Amazon at a reasonable price, IIRC you'd need a 120cm cable, do confirm.
The premium Honda is charging for this bike, this feature would have been a good add-on. Its not necessary though, as I said earlier as well, "am I asking too much? "

Last edited by SDP : 13th November 2018 at 00:04. Reason: tho -> though. No SMS language please
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 23:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new bike. The paint looks better and the lights are surely an upgrade from before. I loved this bike and the handling! Very, very nice machine. We even used the same one (unfaired 300) here for our MSF course and it was sweet.

Wish you many, many miles of happy motorcycling.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 10:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
With all due respect, the fact that I am comparing this with my previous motorcycle will change your perspective. Just for an example, the chain sprocket for the Benelli costed me Rs 12,500/- ; the CBR will cost me not more than Rs 5,000/- at the max. The oil consumed by the Benelli was 3 liters every 4000 kms, CBR consumes 1.8 liter every 6000 kms.

As for spares costings in a Single Cylinder Quarter liter bikes, are on par with the equal competitors.

Agree to this.

I have a habit of using engine braking along the brakes. Its a very effective way to quickly slow down. And this happens a lot during touring on unknown roads. When travelling at highway speeds and suddenly you spot an unmarked speed hump coming your way. Use of engine braking by quickly reducing gear and applying both brakes simultaneously will reduce the speed very effectively. HERE, I feel the need for a slipper clutch.

The premium Honda is charging for this bike, this feature would have been a good add-on. Its not necessary though, as I said earlier as well, "am I asking too much? "
First of all congratulations and welcome to the CBR250R owners club. Looks sick in that color combo.

A few corrections of your post (may help potential buyers)

Bike is 7 years old, not a decade old. Although i agree. Looks dated, but still functional in its role as a 'do it all' bike.

Oil change interval is 6000KMs (every service), oil filter change interval is 12000KMs

Chain sprocket kit of CBR250R was priced around 1800/- I changed it 8-9 months ago.

Engine oil capacity is 1.4L (not 1.8L) or 1.5L with filter change.

A few tips that may help you with your ownership:

1. Honda (any brand to be honest) tries to sell those useless engine flush or oil additive to all customers (especially new customers who come for a free service) to compensate for loss of labor charge (free service). They get huge margin in these. Politely decline any such addition.

2. NEVER allow them to pressure wash your radiator. When your bike goes in for a wash. Stand there and ensure they don't damage the radiator. I haven't installed a radiator guard but you may go for it if you wish to.

3. Honda throttle oil is best for city use. But it loses its effectiveness after 3000-3500KMs. bike surely feels rough after 4500-6000KMs if you stretch your drain interval to 6000KMs. Motul 300V is overkill. Takes forever to heat up and starts showing its effectiveness only after 150 KMs of constant riding. Motul 7100 and Shell advance ultra are recommended by me.

4. Get stock honda oil filter instead of Rs.40 Yamaha FZ ones. You require oil filter change once in 12000KMs. 250Rs extra price difference is barely anything. I cannot find the link but someone had experimented side by side with FZ and CBR250R oil filters. CBR250R filter allowed higher oil flow. Using FZ filter may restrict oil movement.
hgps is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 11:00   #29
BHPian

Congratulations! On your new ride.

It looks amazing. The new paint scheme looks good, although it may not be everyone’s cup of tea as it’s not one of the standard motorcycling colors. I owned a red CBR for a few months and it is a fuss free ride with small tidbits of fun thrown in.
I sold it when I had the hunger for something more powerful.

Hope you have a great time with the bike, explore more and keep posting your experiences.
Best wishes.

Cheerio!
Old 13th November 2018, 19:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

Let me congratulate on making a better choice. I for one, personally feel the CBR's design is timeless. It has its unique charm even today when one passes by you or even better when you see decently maintained CBR 250R.

Apart from being reliable, the comfort and overall rideability the bike is very forgiving to the pillion and the rider. Throw in corners, for mid corner correction, she does it well. Though the suspension might be a wee bit on the softer side, you can sue 20w fork oil to make the suspension stiffer which in turn makes the handling better.

High speeds are no big deal, she reaches there fast and one has to constantly look at the speedo to remind oneself, how quickly she builds speed. Everything is well put together. Overall a motorcycle that is fantastic to ride, own and spend the rest of the life with.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks