Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2020, 16:29   #76

Re: My 2018 Honda CBR 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
3. The 2011-12 models are equally good but have the Achilles heel of the lock assembly which is very expensive. Honda localised it later for cost reduction but it doesn't fit old models !
Is the cost of lock set 20,000?

At least that is the price bikedekho has mentioned in their cbr250 parts price list
Attached Thumbnails
My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-img_20200611_162457.jpg  

Old 11th June 2020, 16:38   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageing Stud View Post
Hi, been reading cbr 250 forums and am pretty wound up to buy a used one. My issue is I haven't ridden a bike since 1994. Have been looking at classifieds and apparently lots are available at reasonable prices, need some expert advice

1. Is it still relevant to buy a cbr 250 and will parts availability for the next couple of years will be an issue.

2. I am 6'4" and 53 years , so will this bike be good for my height.

3. Instead of buying lets say a 2017 abs with 25k odo for 80-90k , I was thinking about buying a 2011/12 abs model for around 30-40K, and maybe spend 5-10k to bring it to good condition for a couple year trouble free riding.

So what do expert's say?
I am late to recommend it seems given that you have already received sound advice. But I am an ex-owner of a CBR250, I still love and miss the bike and I am also tall (at 6'2") with a non-so-slim build - I feel I should write to you.

1. Is it still relevant to buy a cbr 250 and will parts availability for the next couple of years will be an issue. - Yes the bike is great fun and very reliable. Don't worry about the age or any such factor which is unlikely to hamper your riding experience. Parts availability will not be an issue at all. And the bike does not require much work other than regular servicing.

2. I am 6'4" and 53 years , so will this bike be good for my height. - No. You will find it to be too small to be honest. I, at 6'2", found it to be small and quite light. But the shape/design is good for you to tuck in into the correct posture (provided you don't have any other health issues that may hamper your riding experience) when required and the bike is quite fuss free to ride at normal speeds in city. The only issue is the heat coming out of the engine that you will feel when standing at a traffic signal or in a jamm but given that you will not be riding it a lot, that should be ok.

3. Instead of buying lets say a 2017 abs with 25k odo for 80-90k , I was thinking about buying a 2011/12 abs model for around 30-40K, and maybe spend 5-10k to bring it to good condition for a couple year trouble free riding.That is a good idea and I had done the same. I had purchased a used one which was from 2013 and enjoyed it a lot without loosing out anything on depreciation when I sold it later.

But, allow me to tell you a secret or rather a fact - In Bombay, CBR250 is the favorite bike for young kids on a budget. They buy a used one and abuse it a lot. I have seen many examples in the used market of bikes that are abused a lot. Not serviced at service center, tyres is bad condition, silencer having been played with and so on. So when you look for an old one - be very very careful. Take a mechanic with you to check it. Better yet, if possible - evaluate one bike and just before finalizing the bike deal, when you like it, take it to a service center and have it evaluated there. You may have to pay about 500 or so but that will be worth it. Those guys will tell you about the issues that the bike may have and need fixing immediately.

With very old bikes, finding one that has been serviced on time and taken care well is hard. It is also possible that the seller might be a second or third owner without having transferred the name from the first one.

If your riding is going to be very minimal as you say and if you won't be doing crazy stunts on it (given your age and lack of riding in recent years), ABS or non-ABS will not matter much. Saying this because if you find one without ABS and you like it, do not discard the deal for the lack of ABS.

Given the current market, finding a good value deal will be easy. But ensuring that you don't end up with a lemon is the hard part.

Last edited by sunilch : 11th June 2020 at 16:42.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 16:45   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
I am late to recommend it seems given that you have already received sound advice. But I am an ex-owner of a CBR250, I still love and miss the bike and I am also tall (at 6'2") with a non-so-slim build - I feel I should write to you.

Given the current market, finding a good value deal will be easy. But ensuring that you don't end up with a lemon is the hard part.
Thanks for the advice and I appreciate it.

Have started scouring OLX and other online marketplaces and other members recommended looking for abs models 2013 or newer.

I will def be showing it to an ASS for proper valuation once I am on the verge of finalising.
Old 11th June 2020, 17:36   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageing Stud View Post
Is the cost of lock set 20,000?

At least that is the price bikedekho has mentioned in their cbr250 parts price list
Old model lockset is ~11k and new model lockset is ~4k. Plus labour.
shaikhmimran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 14:52   #80
Senior - BHPian

Whatever you do, forget the pre 2013 ones, they have some weirdly expensive parts as the other gentleman pointed out. Start off by looking post 2015 ones. The only thing you should look for when getting any CBR is the fuel tank. Make sure, there is no rusting inside the fuel tank. CBR tank is notorious for getting rust innards, which goes unnoticed.

Secondly, and equally importantly is the way the engine sounds. Older CBRs have a typical sewing machine stitching sound which is a sign that the bike hasn't been attended to. That will definitely set you back, even after acquiring the bike close to 3k in valve clearances, tensioner, timing chain replace etc. Though the bike has that character of of stitching sound post 4.5 to 5k which is usually confused with a problematic engine. A cold start will give you the results one requires to know if valve clearances and et al require some TLC.

If you're getting an ABS equipped one, the first thing to check are the pads, ABS pads are expensive. So, a potential check, can indeed reduce the price even further.

CBR 250R pretty much a robust and solid bike. For the most part it's a fill it shut it, forget it type motorcycle. The only periodic maintenance it requires is lubing the switch gears which gets hardened over time, a good dose of WD-40 restores it back.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 09:33   #81
BHPian

Several people before me have already said, but I would like to again stress on the point of getting her checked through an ASC, and it does get tiring perhaps, but believe me, I came across a 850 KMs old 2017 CBR ABS when I was searching in 2018, and even though she looked in pristine condition, I kept my excitement in check and got her into an ASC. Peace of mind, and now I'm bearing the fruits of a bike which I only need to take to the service center once in an year, nothing less.
ManasN95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:59   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Whatever you do, forget the pre 2013 ones, they have some weirdly expensive parts
Yes exorbitantly priced like Rs 1100 for rear wheel bearing, but the rear one lasted for 105000 Km & I got nervous & changed it. The old bearing has "Made in Japan" etched

Quote:
Older CBRs have a typical sewing machine stitching sound which is a sign that the bike hasn't been attended to
Then it's time to listen to mine!! 2011 model!!

Quote:
CBR 250R pretty much a robust and solid bike
Bullet proof reliability!
Old 9th August 2020, 13:50   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Yes exorbitantly priced like Rs 1100 for rear wheel bearing, but the rear one lasted for 105000 Km & I got nervous & changed it. The old bearing has "Made in Japan" etched
Hi aargee

First of all thank you for sharing all the information on baby ceeber on multiple threads in T-bhp. It has been really helpful.

I am looking forward to buy a pre-owned one. Based on your above quote, I assume it would be safe to go ahead even with 2012-13 abs models (<40000 km on Odo) as there is no major mechanical change. Is that assumption correct ?
Old 9th August 2020, 14:05   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
I am looking forward to buy a pre-owned one. Based on your above quote, I assume it would be safe to go ahead even with 2012-13 abs models (<40000 km on Odo) as there is no major mechanical change. Is that assumption correct ?
Depends on how the vehicle is maintained by the previous owner. I wouldn't assume, but go based on the facts & figures based on the vehicle's service history.

Quote:
I assume it would be safe to go ahead even with 2012-13 abs models (<40000 km on Odo)
If you may add - and the bike has a reliable & consistent service history from an authorized ASC, yes, the assumption on safe bet is right.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 01:26   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
..I assume it would be safe to go ahead even with 2012-13 abs models (<40000 km on Odo) as there is no major mechanical change. Is that assumption correct ?
What prices do these go for? I'd suggest to go for a newer one (within 5 years). Also, pick a bike which is consistently used rather than low clicks on odo. Rougly 5-10K kms per year is fair-good usage.

Test ride couple of bikes to start with, having different age & odo, you'll get a hang of whats a good bike and which is a bad one.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 10th August 2020 at 01:33.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 06:44   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What prices do these go for? I'd suggest to go for a newer one (within 5 years). Also, pick a bike which is consistently used rather than low clicks on odo. Rougly 5-10K kms per year is fair-good usage.

Test ride couple of bikes to start with, having different age & odo, you'll get a hang of whats a good bike and which is a bad one.
People are quoting insane prices of around 1.1 lacs for a 2012 vintage
I have set a budget of around 80k but such prices are pulling me down. Still look for looking around for a decent deal.
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 09:30   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Naturally because everyone wants to sell at the same price they've bought & everyone wants to buy at lowest possible price. This difference commands for absurdity.

Quote:
I have set a budget of around 80k but such prices are pulling me down. Still look for looking around for a decent deal.
There're some KEY points to keep in mind when hunting for a used vehicle.
1. Patience
2. Go to streets, visit the sellers than browsing
3. Negotiate the price starting with IDV
4. Keep your price expectation realistic; if you were to sell such a vehicle would you quote a ridiculous price
5. Never start with price; chances are that, you might get a real good vehicle which is worth paying

Good luck
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:04   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even 80k is a generous budget for an used 2012 CBR 250R. 1.1 lakhs? The owner must be dreaming.

I bought a 2013 sample for 80k in 2016 with 50xxx on the odo and sold it for 65k in 2017 after 13,000 km of usage.

A pristine bike with ABS is worth 80k. Anything older than 2014 and costlier is just greed.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 02:00   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most CBR owners are snobbish. My purchase was done taking ample time (months) before I found the right one. Be ready to slog it out if you need a good one at the right price. I bought mine for Rs.80K for a 2013, ABS version, 28K kms done in 5 years.

Half of the sellers will not respond to your queries (after reading your message), 25% will quote insane prices and 10% will will not keep the bike in good condition. So you know whats your probability of finding good bike in your budget . Unless you are an epitome of patience, you'll buy a brand new bike or some other brand in a month of dealing with ads on olx / quikr. But if you happened to find the right bike, you'll fall in love for a long long time.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th August 2020 at 02:04.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 07:15   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Most CBR owners are snobbish. My purchase was done taking ample time (months) before I found the right one.
True that. I think I will be in for a long haul
However, I have charted out my plan now. As you mentioned, if patience runs out I will be forced to get a new one. Just hoping I get a decent deal soon.

Did you go through olx and likes? How much time it took for you to find the "One".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks